• Published 2nd Mar 2023
  • 153 Views, 4 Comments

LC-4: A Space Rescue - Kitsune_Kenshi



A Pegasus, a Hippogriff, and a Changeling are the only ones it takes to save a space program.

  • ...
 4
 153

Chapter 1

Hippogriff Atlantis Turrent gazed over the dome module, where her home is, about 290 miles above their planet. All her excitement had cool down ever since her crew's final dock to this 24 years old space laboratory, it's still a cool thing to see all those old module comparing to the digital systems EASA had installed on their mared spacecraft 'Serprent'. Herf irst time in space ended ater thirty days onboard this metal can, felt just like yesterday, Atlantis sighed as her claws smoothly scratched over the windows of the dome module; they're currently crossing the Central Equestrian Ocean, where LC-4 is schedule to deorbit at, it's part of their mission objectives as well.

"Enjoying the view Lettuce?", a familair voice came from behind, Atlantis rolled her eyes at that name.

"About two hundred fifthty three times Bravewing, quit with the veggie." A pegasus stallion flew into the dome module next to Atlantis; Mission commander Bravewing Airflow, an experienced commander who flown the 'Serprent' and docked the spacecraft with LC-4 several times. With the total flight hour of 1,580 hours, Bravewing once again took the Mission Commander role of this manual deorbiting mission. He's from the Air Force, in which he has a habit of nicknaming every single rookie-nauts he takes to space. LC-4 deorbit is his last mission before retiring, and old stallion just kept whinin' like a colt.

"Commander, the LC-4 deorbiting code has been activated manually and should be running in 4 hours," from the headset came in a light voice, "Alantis and Bravewing, take your time relaxing and all, and make sure to pack up your belognings before returning to 'Serprent', it's your last day up here sir." That's Scarab Beetlebug, a changeling mission speicalist, been to LC-4 two times, although not as experienced as Bravewing, the crew still trusts him alone in the crew module doing all the coding.

"You should do the same Beatle," Bravewing laughed, "s' not like we could be in LC-4 everyday... Well, technically we had, but the last thing we do is to get this laboratory down."

"Nah, I;m fine in the Serprent, plus I gotta make sure the jet propellants are enough for re-entry." Scarab's never really a fun dude, he did mentioned himself being single in his entire high school and college life, yet he doesn't give a buck. A few jokes per day is all Scarab's goona take before giving you the face.

Back in the core module, Atlantis shivered as she felt her feathers sprang up from the freezing temperature, she checked the dome, LC-4 just went over the nightside, the last ray of light from the sun faded as cool silver side of the moon took over, everything looked under zero, which it is the fact. Bravewing had already informed her about the two dead solar arrays and the old cracking generator, both never edited since the 80s, and that they should be returning to the crew module as soon as night hits.

"Com' on Lettuce," came Bravewing's voice, "shit's boutta get real cold once passes midnight."

"Right, coming in" Altantis flew her way back to the docking port, with another glance back to the cold core module, she sealed the hatch. Scarab has already fallen asleep in his sleepbag, nerd's got a tight schedule. Bravewing is reading this small yet thick novel since the day they arrived, yet it's only about 1/3 pages read. Bravewing must'bve noticed Atlantis's enter, as he closed the book after folding a page in the corner and killed the lights.

Slight snores can be heard coming from the commander, he's alwasy relaxed under different circustances, this time as his last flight, old stallion just let it all out. Atlantis still has her eyes opened, her face turned towards the window next to her, Equis passed by slowly, yet quickly as the station spranted about 4.8 miles per second. The hippogriff checked her watch, 30 minutes till day time, down there, about 4 hours untill sunrise.

Weird thing to think about, Atlantis isn't really a big fan of returning home deep inside, she's an orphan, luckily raised by a well-educated family, which got her into where she is today. However, her family were all gone, taken from her when she was 12 during a airship accident. Atlantis lacked friends, so far only her crew and that one technician mare. To be honest, she'd rather spend her life up here, in LEO. She laughed at that thought, although with enough exercises per day, eventually things like upper respiratory infections, colds, skin infections and urinary tract infections would get the best of her. Luckily, she might be one of the first crews to be send to the newest and upcoming International Space Station, heard that the Pussians would be launching the first module two months later.

Atlantis thought about all this, and Luna's dreamworld overtook her before she could even see it coming...

Author's Note:

By the way, since this is a short story, each chapters are often shortened to about 600 words or above.