• Published 18th Jun 2022
  • 359 Views, 5 Comments

The First Standoff - bookhorse125



Life under Grogar’s reign of terror is just about the worst thing in the world. One pony decides it’s about time somepony did something about it.

  • ...
0
 5
 359

Chapter 15

Her hoofsteps echoed on the steps, sounding as hollow as her heart. She pushed open the door that led to the storage room of Ruby’s shop, not turning around until she heard somepony call her name.

“Gusty!”

As if in a fog, she turned around to see Fire Storm running towards her. A sob built up in her throat as she was reminded of all that she was leaving behind - that she had to leave behind. But this was for the best, she told herself again. This is for their own good. They can accomplish what they were meant to accomplish, and I can help by leaving so that I don’t jeapordize their mission.

I have to do this. It’s the only way to keep them safe.

“GUsty, w hat are you doing?” Fire Storm demanded, pulling her off to the side, glancing around to make sure nopony was listening. Looking back at her, he said, “You can’t quit. We need you!” He put his hoof on Gusty’s shoulder, and she looked up to meet his fiery blue eyes. “We can’t do this without you, Gusty. Please don’t give up on this. Please don’t give up on me.”

“I can’t-” She broke off, choking back a sob. The unshed tears in her eyes threatened to spill, but she fought them back. “You don’t understand, Fire Storm, but I can’t do this anymore. I’m putting you all in danger just by being here.”

He frowned. “Are you talking about the monsters? Because I saw you defeat them - you can handle it. And we’re where to help you if you need it-”

“It’s not like that,” Gusty sobbed, taking a step away from him. “I-it’s my brother. I’ve been hearing his voice in my head, and now I think he can see what I’m seeing, and he knows all about this, and all of you, and what I did to Grogar’s monsters, a-and I can’t keep doing this - I can’t keep putting you in danger like this.”

Fire Storm stopped, confused. “Well, if it’s just your brother, then it’s no big deal… right?” he added uncertainly as Gusty flinched.

“My brother… my brother’s name is… Ocean Breeze.”

He goes silent. Gusty sees his eyes studying her face, trying ot detect if it’s a lie, can almost sense the gears turning in his brain as he firgures out what this means. He swallowed, then said, “We can’t defeat him without you. If you leave, we’re doomed. If you stay, Grogar will know everything we’re doing, and we’ll probably be doomed.” He looke dinto her eyes and said, “There is no best choice. So I hope you’re making the right one.”

Then he turned around and stormed back up the stairs. Professor Dolphin was hovering halfway up the stairs, the look on her face saying that she had heard the whole thing.

“Captain?” she asked in a small voice. “What…” But the question died in her throat when she caught a glimpse of his expression. He pusehd past her and kept going. The pegasus dashed downstairs to try and catch Gusty, but the unicorn had vanished.

Trout looked up as Fire Storm entered. The younger stallion paused, and then, neve lifting his eyes from the floor, said, “You were right. I never should have trusted her.”

The general blinked, then, realiing what that meant, smirked. “Oh, I know I was,” he said silkily.


The army left the next day, before sunrise. Gusty stood at the edge of the bridge, watching them disappear into the forest. SHe knew that it could prove to be a huge mistake - her brohter might be able to relay information to Grogar that the army was heading out, but she dind’t care. This would be the last time she would gt to see Maggie… or Fire Storm… or Everpine, or any of them. She wouldn’t see them again until he war was over, for the better.

If it wasn’t… if they failed… Gusty knew that Grogar would not punish the rebels lightly. She knew that she would probably never see her friends again. And Fire Storm would probably die thinking Gusty had been a spy for Grogar - had betrayed them.

That was what hurt mroe than anything. The way he had turned his back on her - the way he had stomped out of the room, his face a mask of calm just barely able to disguise the shock, the hurt, and the anger - everytime she thought about it, it made her heart splinter into a thousand pieces that could never be put back together.

Then there was Maggie’s face when she told her - the shock in her green eyes, the hurt, and the way her voice broke when she had asked, “Are you sure? You’re really leaving?”

“Maggie, I can’t keep putting you all in danger like this,” Gusty had said, fighting to keep her own voice from wavering.

“And you’re sure? You’re sure that this is what you have to do? Just abandon us? Gusty, we need you. You saw what you did to those monsters - you’re the only unicorn in the world who can do that! You have to come with us!” She had choked back a sob before saying, “Or do you even care? Was everything a lie? Like how you kept lying to me?”

“Maggie, I didn’t know! I would have told you if I did!” Gusty remembered feeling Maggie’s words drive a dagger straight into her heart, and she remembered hating that feeling more than anything. “Maggie, you’re my best friend. You know me. I would have-”

“Yeah. I thought I did, too.” Maggie had turned away then, her eyes glimmering with tears. “I’m going with them tomorrow. I’m not giving up on everything that easily.”

“Maggie, I’m not - you think this is easy for me?” Gusty had burst out. “I want to go! I would throw away everything to go with you! But I can’t because of my brother-”

“If you wanted to go so bad, then you can fight him!”

“I can’t - I’m not-”

“Oh, because it’s all about you, isn’t it?” Maggie had turned back around, her eyes flashing with anger. “Like because you’re so special because you’ve got some super special magic powers and a fancy prophecy about you that nopony else can have any problems of their own, because only Gusty matters now!” She took a deep breath. “I can’t keep doing this, Gusty. I can’t keep getting hurt.”

She’d turned around, ran into her room and slammed the door. Gusty stood there long enough that she heard Maggie begin to cry.

All night long, Gusty thought about what Maggie had said, and debated between her own desire to punch Grogar in the face… and keeping hte army safe. She decided that it would be best for her to remain here, in Manehattan, so that Grogar could never find her friends. How can Maggie call me selfish with all I’m sacrificing for them?

Now, though, standing on the bridge, she was beginning to have second thoughts.

Maybe I should go with them. Maybe then, they’d stand a slight chance. I could prove I’m not a traitor - I could save them all!

You know it wouldn’t work like that, Gusty, Ocean Breeze whispered consolingly in her head. Going with them would probably mean death - at least this way, Grogar won’t know you had anything to do with it! I’m glad you finally saw sense and quit the army - there was nothing left for you there.

An image of Fire Storm flashes through her mind for some reason. What are you talking about? You’ve probably told Grogar all about me, haven’t you?

Her brother was quiet for a moment before responding. I could talk to him. I’ll make him promise to leave you alone - please, Gusty, you have to know that everything I’ve done is to protect you! I just want to keep you safe! I- He takes a deep breath. Going would mean certain death. This is the much safer option.

Gusty moaned and rubbed her temples wiht her hoof. “Get out of my head,” she said in a tired voice. She didn't feel him leave, but he had at least shut up for now.

She stared off in the direction they had all gone. But it would be worth dying for, she thought miserably, if I could just see my friends again…

NEvertheless, she turned around and began to slowly walk back into the city, and with that, she finally felt her brother leave.


Grogar sat on his throne, impatiently waiting for news.

Ever since that unicorn had beaten back his monsters, Grogar had been getting increasingly angry, and while he tried to distract himself by ordering his troops to replenish their numbers and increase patrols across the land, and had cracked down even harder on the enslaved ponies of Canterlot (that always made him feel good), he was getting very twitchy by the time Ocean Breeze walked in.

“About time,” he snarled as the black pegasus bent his legs and head in a polite bow. WHen the pony didn’t speak, he snapped, “Speak up! Is she going with them or not?”

He rose from the floor aggravatingly slowly and cleared his throat. “Your Most Imperial Majesty. My sister remains in Manehattan while the army begins its first - pointless - crusade.”

Grogar relaxed. That was the news he had been wanting to hear all day. “And there is… nothing controversial in her mind?”

He shook his head. “No, sir. Nothing at all.” He shifted his hooves nervously. “And… you will honor our agreement, right? Gusty will be safe and unharmed after the uprising is dealt with, right?”

“Yes, of course,” Grogar lied silkily, waving his hoof arily. “You and your sister may live however you like when this is all over. She will be quite safe - I honor my word, as you know. Now, you have been spending an awful lot of time in your sister’s brain recently. You have done good work. Why don’t you take a break? There will be plenty of time for the boring politics of war later on.”

Ocean Breeze stood up, gave the ram a thankful smile, and trotted out of the room with a brisk new jump in his step. As soon as he was gone, Grogar leaned back in his throne, chuckling softly to himself.

Ah… ponies were so easy to manipulate…

Author's Note:

Sorry for the long hiatus, things have been crazy... I hope you like the title image, though!

Constructive criticism is appreciated. Thank you for reading!