• Published 13th Jun 2022
  • 990 Views, 54 Comments

Ace Flier - nixf



Twilight asks Rainbow Dash to join her herd, Dash doesn't say no.

  • ...
5
 54
 990

Chapter 12

“It’s good to see you back,” Fluttershy greeted Rainbow Dash at the door to her cottage, looking a lot more relaxed than she had while trying to feed all of the animals at the reserve.

“Yep, I got us a nice lunch here,” Rainbow Dash told her, stepping into Fluttershy’s kitchen and pulling out the bag of food from behind her mane with her one good wing. With some careful wing manipulation she was able to flick the bag over onto the kitchen bench with one smooth movement. “Next time I really need to remember to bring a pair of saddlebags. I nearly dropped it twice while shepherding Twilight to bed.”

“Is the poor dear feeling under the weather?” Fluttershy asked, frowning at the prospect.

“Nah, she just is overworking herself again.” Rainbow Dash waved away Fluttershy’s concerns as she opened the box and presented the contents as dramatically as she could. Rainbow Dash wished she could make Fluttershy understand the importance of dramatic presentation.

“How did you know that I wanted a quiche?” Fluttershy smiled as she pulled out the first slice, taking a careful bite.

“Pinkie Pie personally picked ‘em out for us,” Rainbow Dash told her before grabbing her own slice and starting devouring the defenceless pastry.

“You really shouldn’t eat that quickly,” Fluttershy chided her, carefully taking another small nibble of her own piece.

“Pinkie Pie probably could have eaten this entire slice in a single bite,” Rainbow Dash joked as she took a second sizable mouthful.

“Pinkie Pie can also unhinge her jaw,” Fluttershy muttered to herself, before shaking her head and returning to her own meal.

A few bites later, Rainbow Dash was out of lunch and was instead poking around Fluttershy’s living room in the hopes to find something to do.

“I have a nice action book on the side table,” Fluttershy told Rainbow Dash, picking up on the boredom that she was suffering from.

“It doesn’t have any of the boring stuff, right? The last series Twilight got me into had a lot of boring stuff in it.” Rainbow Dash eyed the book, as if it was a spoonful of broccoli

“I promise, it’s an action story. There’s almost no romantic subplot at all.” Fluttershy chuckled.

“Awesome!” Rainbow Dash threw herself back onto the couch to begin the literary journey, propping herself up on her side as she read. A serene sense of silence fell throughout the room, only interrupted by the quiet sounds of pages turning.

Fluttershy finally finished her food and made her way over to Rainbow Dash, leaning over the back of the couch so that she could get a better look. However she was not interested in the book within Rainbow’s hooves, she was much more interested in the state of Rainbow Dash’s bandaged wing. She leant in close and studied it. Noticing, Rainbow Dash lifted it slightly with an eye roll to let her see it properly, shuffling over on the couch to give her easier access. Though she was also careful to make sure that she could keep reading her book.

“We really should change those bandages if they have been unchanged since yesterday,” Fluttershy mused as she used her own wings to gently manipulate the wrapped wing.

“Actually, it was done the day before that,” Rainbow Dash responded, barely paying attention to Fluttershy as she remained engrossed within the book.

“I’ll go get the bandages,” Fluttershy rolled her eyes, knowing better than to ask any more questions.

“Can’t it wait? I was just getting to a good part.” Rainbow Dash tried to protest, looking up at Fluttershy, but one glare back made her stop.

“This will only take a few minutes. You need to look after that wing. However you can keep reading if you want,” Fluttershy told her sternly, though the stern voice trailed out near the end. She picked up a small first aid kit in her mouth and brought it over, nodding for Rainbow Dash to lie prone on the couch.

Rainbow Dash did her best to roll onto her stomach, craning her head back and holding the book as best as she could in the awkward angle. However a few seconds later she just closed the book and laid her head on the couch. She knew that there was no point enjoying a nice read if you can’t be comfortable.

“Sorry, I’ll try to not take too long,” Fluttershy apologised as she noticed the issue, flicking open the first aid kit with her wing. She was used to patching up her animal friends, so she wasn’t too concerned with having to do the same for Rainbow Dash. It wasn’t even the first time that she’d had to render aid to her after all.

“It’s fine, I need to get it done.” Rainbow Dash muttered out with an eye roll, not wanting Fluttershy to feel bad about helping her.

Fluttershy softly smiled as she reached out for Rainbow’s wing, the soft tip of her hoof gently began the delicate task of pulling off the bandage. Thankfully this time around there was little response from Rainbow Dash as she unwrapped the wing.

“It’s good to feel air over it again,” Rainbow Dash sighed. Her eyes drooped as she let herself drift off a little as she felt Fluttershy’s hooves run along her wing, checking the alignment of her feathers now that the bandage was removed.

“I hope that touching your wings isn’t making you too uncomfortable. I promise not to take too long,” Fluttershy yet again apologised as she carefully moved two primaries.

“Nah, it’s fine,” Rainbow Dash responded with a shrug. A part of her was surprised that she didn’t feel uncomfortable with Fluttershy touching them, particularly after she had such an awkward response earlier that day. A much larger part of her was annoyed that she was fine with her friend messing with her wings when she had a new roll of bandages in her hoof, but doing it when they were hugging wasn’t okay. It was annoyingly frustrating to not be able to make herself be okay with it when Fluttershy wanted to do it.

“That’s good to hear, I didn’t want to make you feel bad.” Fluttershy worried.

“This morning was different.” Rainbow Dash explained, though she was somewhat interrupted by a yawn. Fluttershy’s couch was far too comfortable at times.

“I’m not sure what I changed? I tried to be gentler. Is it only your other wing that makes you uncomfortable?” Fluttershy frowned, beginning to wrap the fresh bandage on the wing. It was a delicate operation to get the correct amount of tension without causing any harm to the feathers.

“I don’t think it’s you, or my wings...” Rainbow Dash trailed off, realising that she didn’t have an answer either. Fluttershy just hummed a quiet agreement, unable to respond with her mouth filled with a roll of bandages.

“There we go, all done.” Fluttershy smiled as she finished off the final tug on the bandaged and nodded at a job well done. “You can go back to your book if you want?”

“Thanks Fluttershy.” Rainbow Dash reached over for a quick hoof bump before rolling back onto her side and propped open the book to resume from where she left off. Then flicking back a few pages to try and remember what she was reading. However her attention was dragged away as she felt a weight settle on the couch near her hooves. Sitting up she saw Fluttershy had sat down beside her looking at her expectantly. “What’s up?”

“Would it be okay if we cuddle?” Fluttershy asked hesitantly, staring down at her hooves as she nervously tapped them together.

“Sure,” Rainbow Dash used her good wing to reach out and pull Fluttershy over. There was an adorable squeak as Fluttershy wrapped her forelegs around Rainbow Dash’s torso, opting to snuggle up against her. Rainbow Dash shifted her weight a little to make sure that she could still read the book.

Fluttershy reached out a cautious hoof towards Rainbow Dash’s wing, raising her eyes in a silent question. Rainbow Dash just shook her head slightly in response, she knew that she didn’t want Fluttershy trying to touch it right now even if she was practically wrapping her in it like a feathery blanket. Glad that Fluttershy was keeping her hooves mostly to herself, Rainbow Dash returned to her book.

The earlier peaceful silence from before returned as the two relaxed, Fluttershy soon quietly snoring into the side of Rainbow Dash’s neck. Rainbow Dash didn’t mind it, well mostly. She could already feel the drool beginning to collect in her fur from Fluttershy’s snoring muzzle, but she was fine with a little drool if it meant that Fluttershy could have a peaceful nap. The mare deserved a decent rest.

Three chapters later Fluttershy’s front door was shoved open and Pinkie Pie bounded inside, screeching to a stop as she saw them cuddled up on the couch. Rainbow Dash looked up from her book, slightly irritated that she was going to need to stop reading again. Sometimes she wondered if everypony deliberately tried to interrupt her just as she started reading the good parts. They had suspiciously perfect timing.

“Hey Pinkie Pie,” Rainbow Dash greeted, keeping her scratchy voice low in a half-hearted attempt to not wake up the dozing Fluttershy. Somehow Fluttershy had managed to wrap both of her wings around Rainbow Dash, and was snuggled into a warm cocoon of wings and legs.

“So cute,” Pinkie Pie breathed as she looked at her two snuggly ponies.

“She had a long day dealing with a lot of animals,” Rainbow Dash explained, gently moving one of Fluttershy’s hooves further away from her wing. Apparently sleeping on a couch made Fluttershy a lot more grabby.

“Well, she needs to get up soon. You two sleepy snugglebugs slept through most of the afternoon and I’m going to make us all the best dinner.” Pinkie Pie told Rainbow Dash, leaning close and giving her a quick nuzzle before prancing off to the kitchen. A few seconds later she could hear the sound of Pinkie Pie gathering ingredients in the kitchen.

Rainbow Dash pulled her way out of Fluttershy’s constricting grip. She was forced to shove one of the couch cushions into Fluttershy’s grip. However with a solid minute of twisting and squirming she was finally free.

“So what are you making?” Rainbow Dash asked, curious to see Pinkie Pie cook something that wasn’t mostly sugar for a change. Sure she logically knew that Pinkie Pie probably made things that weren’t cake, but a part of her just didn’t accept that it actually happened. So she was surprised to see Pinkie Pie in the kitchen slicing up a red bell pepper into a neat pile, and a lot of other ingredients nearby.

“The most fun dinner to say. I’m making Quesadillas!” Pinkie Pie gave the knife a quick spin as she finished off cutting the last of the bell peppers, switching to slicing through a red onion with the smoothness of a trained chef.

“Do you need any help?”

“Nah, I’m nearly done with the prep.” The knife in Pinkie Pie’s grasp made short work on the onion. Soon she was warming up the skillet, and finely chopping a small chilli as soon as the heat was on.

“So, did you enjoy snuggle time with Flutters?” Pinkie Pie asked, carefully washing her hooves to ensure that she didn’t have any chilli residue. Rainbow Dash knew all too well what happened if one was careless with chilli, rubbing her eyes had not been a fun experience.

“It’s good to spend time with her,” Rainbow Dash sighed.

“Is everything okay? You look a tad mopey, just a tad though.” Pinkie Pie asked as she threw the first tortilla into the skillet.

“I know that I’ve been a bit off ever since Twilight pulled me into the herd, but you don’t need to worry about it. I’m working on it.” Rainbow Dash huffed, crossing her forelegs.

“I think it’s only fair that I get to worry about you if something is up.” Pinkie Pie pointed out, starting on grating the cheese.

“What if I just don’t want to talk about it?” Rainbow Dash challenged.

“Is it because we’re all a few years older than you?” Pinkie Pie paused the food prep to turn and raise an eyebrow.

“Nah, it’s not that. Though thanks for pointing that out yet again,” Rainbow Dash huffed.

“So what is the issue?” Pinkie Pie asked.

“I don’t even know what the issue is,” Rainbow Dash admitted, looking over her shoulder back at the sleeping Fluttershy before lowering her voice. “I’m just feeling like I need to rethink some of this stuff, I guess. It’s like there is a problem, but I don’t really know what it is.”

“Can you tell me anything? I promise to keep it to myself if you need me to.”

“I just feel like I’m not feeling the right stuff I guess. I like being around you all, but this wedding stuff just feels off?” Rainbow Dash tried to explain, nibbling on the inside of her cheek to push away the weird feelings.

“When we talk about being together, how do you actually feel?” Pinkie Pie asked, her voice a lot more serious than before.

“Happy, of course I like being with you five.” Rainbow Dash laughed, how else would she feel being close with her five closest friends.

“How do you feel when we talk about the wedding?”

“The same way, I guess.” Rainbow Dash lied, she didn’t want to just blurt out to Pinkie Pie that she hadn’t quite gotten herself into the right headspace for it all. Surely if she just guessed the right answers then it would turn out fine. It shouldn’t be this difficult to want to be with them. “I just need to get my head around what’s happening, that’s all.”

“Hmm” Pinkie Pie didn’t look convinced, but she was distracted by preparing their dinner. So while Pinkie Pie had to return her focus to flipping over a tortilla and scattering cheese on it, Rainbow Dash left the kitchen to wake Fluttershy.

Ten minutes and Rainbow Dash’s brilliant plan to distract Pinkie Pie with a cuddly Fluttershy was working perfectly. The last quesadilla was just being thrown onto a plate and Pinkie Pie had not brought up Rainbow Dash’s weird mood at all. Sure, she did shoot a few curious glances Rainbow Dash’s way between tortilla flips, but that was all.

Even their dinner went well, with nary a reference said between them at all. So it was an overconfident Rainbow Dash who was completely caught off guard when Fluttershy asked if she wanted to join them for the night.

“I was kind of planning on just crashing on your couch,. Rainbow Dash blurted out, doing her best to keep the panic out of her voice.

“It’s really not that comfortable,” Fluttershy frowned.

“You go off ahead, Dashie and I need to have a quick chat and then we’ll join you.” Pinkie Pie quickly stepped in between them. She leant over and gave Fluttershy a quick kiss before pushing her towards the stairs to her room.

Pinkie Pie watched Fluttershy head up with a gentle smile. As soon as Fluttershy was out of sight she turned back to Rainbow Dash with a soft sigh. “Dashie, I know that I am not the best with this, but I think that you should tell Twilight what you actually think of this wedding.”

“Are you saying that I don’t love you five?” Rainbow Dash hissed, worried that Pinkie Pie somehow knew what Rainbow Dash’s feelings were before even she worked them out, before she could fix them.

“You do love us, but maybe not in a wedding day way? And that’s okay, we all love each other however we want to love each other.” Pinkie Pie ventured, frowning a little. “But I don’t think that you want to admit what you actually want.”

“I don’t know what I want,” Rainbow Dash admitted, staring up at Fluttershy’s ceiling as she wished that the awkward conversation would just end.

“You know what you don’t want,” Pinkie Pie pointed out carefully, her voice squeaking a little as she tried to avoid talking too loudly. Fluttershy would no doubt do her best to avoid overhearing them, but it still was a good idea to be quiet.

“How does that help anypony?” Rainbow Dash huffed.

“It means that we know what to avoid, and what we have not tried yet. If there is something that feels wrong to you, or makes you uncomfortable, just tell us. We all super duper want to make sure that you’re happy as well.” Pinkie Pie gave her a quick nuzzle. “Twilight deserves to know. We all do.”

“It’ll just stress her out.” Rainbow Dash argued.

“Finding out that you didn’t tell her will stress her out even more when she does inevitably find out. She’s a super smart cookie, you know.” Pinkie Pie frowned, “Well she’s not actually a cookie. Sure, she might taste yummy like a cookie, and she is starting to get a little round in the tummy...”

“I was hoping to fix it before she found out,” Rainbow Dash pointed out with an eye roll.

“This isn’t something that you just fix. It’s just what it is. That’s like asking Fluttershy to be mean. It’s not going to happen, and pretending isn’t going to last long either.”

“I need to fix it.” Rainbow Dash protested.

“You need to be honest with yourself first. What do you actually want?” Pinkie Pie told her, a serious pout on her face. “Now, be honest with me. Do you want to snuggle with us tonight? Fluttershy’s bed is super big.”

“Don’t you two want to spend some time with each other?” Rainbow Dash asked.

“We’re just going to go to sleep in the same bed, I promise that we won’t do anything else. We wouldn’t want you to feel uncomfortable or anything.” Pinkie Pie told her sweetly, putting a leg around the back of Rainbow Dash’s neck.

“That’s the problem though. I don’t want to stop you two from doing what you want.” Rainbow Dash tried to shrug off Pinkie Pie’s leg, but Pinkie just tightened her hold.

“You’re not stopping us from doing what we want. We want to have the mare we love to have some snuggle time with us for the night. We want to have a happy Dashie snuggled up being all cute next to us.” Pinkie Pie told Rainbow Dash, pressing their cheeks together.

“But what if you want to do that other stuff?” Rainbow Dash protested.

“Then we will wait for a better time to do it.” Pinkie Pie pointed out dryly. “I know this might be a surprise to you, but I do have some self control. Especially when it comes to making my friends uncomfortable like this.”

“Are you okay if we just snuggle?”

“That is literally the plan!” Pinkie Pie solemnly told her, before smiling and pulling Rainbow Dash into a tight hug. “Now come on, Fluttershy is probably waiting for us and I don’t want to miss out on any more primo snuggle time!”