• Published 10th May 2022
  • 1,465 Views, 55 Comments

Crystal Prison - HeirofHades



Dusk Shine the top student of CPA struggles to understand the value of Friendship. Cinch forces him to compete in the upcoming Friendship games against CHS. Now he must work with those he labeled him an outcast to achieve victory.

  • ...
2
 55
 1,465

Under Pressure

Sunny Flare stomped down the stairs like a guilty criminal heading towards their execution site. Her face was blank with a clenched jaw sharpened enough to grate stone. The noose of Cinch betrayal, her own mother, tightened around her neck. Abacus Cinch. The one person designed to care about her doesn’t give a piping hot shit about her. Sunny Flare wiped her forming tears on her sleeve. How else would she find it so easy to toss her aside in favor of Dusk Shine than to be nothing more than a prize to sweeten the deal?

‘I frankly don’t care if you’re his spouse or mistress. In that envelope was a letter of promised compensation just in case his application to Everton was unfortunately denied.’

‘If Dusk Shine so desires, I will allow him to fillyouup,’

‘As many times as he pleases. I’ll open you up myself if need be,’

Those cruel words echoed and replayed like a chorus in a hit song. Cinch’s comments offered no negotiation or leeway. She wasn’t telling her what was going to happen. The principal explained what will happen to Sunny Flare in the next twenty years. Sunny sighed deeply at the situation. The only good thing is that it’s Dusk Shine. He won’t do anything to her. Dusk Shine will probably make her into some type of secretary or assistant. Then again, knowing Cinch. The title of the wife is the endgame. Sunny Flare her head. No. Assistant or secretary is the better option. She’ll have less control of them. Cinch’s disappointed eyes behind her stoic glasses continued to judge her. Sunny Flare frowned as she continued to ponder the potential relationship. Perhaps that can grant her Cinch’s approval. A hand smacked her forehead at the asinine suggestion.

“What am I thinking?” Sunny Flare grumbled before biting the inside of her cheek. Nothing is ever good enough for mother dearest. It pushed her to be better so she wouldn’t be complacent. She’s the principal’s daughter, so there’s nothing for her to worry about in terms of grades. Tartarus, Top Student, was in the bag for her. Then Dusk Shine appeared, taking that away from her the very next semester. He still holds that title. The ever engulfing pit of disappointment combined with the stinging venom of envy plagued her and the rest of the CPA students. They’ve never seen anything like him before.

Was Dusk Shine even human? The way he absorbs complex information like a morbidly obese person devouring the local all-you-can-eat buffet. It was frightening, yet an air of poise and humility followed him—no trace of overbearing arrogance or smug superiority. He was a gentleman or, some say, a prince. Sunny Flare fondly remembers those starry eyes and cute smiles of his during their early days. It’s gone now. And it’s their fault. Her cerise eyes bounced around, observing the lingering students such as athletes, club members, and people killing time. Ugh, there goes Fleur de Lis. The self-proclaimed prettiest girl in school. She scoffed at the claim. That’s pretty big talk for someone that developed early and got held back a year. The two walked past each other.

Bitch,” Fleur de Lis muttered without giving her a second glance. She has nothing to say to Cinch’s little puppet.

Skank,” Sunny Flare did the same. All she’s waiting for are the multiple divorces or the leaked sex tape. Whatever comes first. Hell, it’ll be so satisfying to see her groveling at Dusk Shine’s feet after draining all of her resources, leaving with nothing but a pretty face, round tits, and a plump ass. A cruel, scheming smirk similar to Cinch’s appeared. It shouldn’t be that hard. Fleur de Lis can replace her as Dusk Shine onahole. She paused and blinked owlishly at her thought process. “Okay, that was fucked up,” Sunny Flare told herself before exhaling. “Like mother like daughter,” She let out a bitter chuckle. Faust, the conversation between her and Cinch.


What are you thinking?!” Cinch bellowed and fumed as she stomped around before taking a breath. Must remain calm. “I respect that you’re using your resources, but you’re using a desperate woman in her time of need,” She emphasized. “Dusk Shine has a reputation of being harsh yet fair, all while being altruistic. Given their undesirable history together. His reputation will plummet if the mere consideration of that comes into public,” Cinch sighed, shaking her head with a palm on her face. “Okay, we can still hire her as a low-level employee to avoid suspicion,” She considered before gazing upon her with the signature disappointed stare. “You can’t do something as simple as to satisfy his sexual urges. Granted, I was unaware that he had a voracious appetite,” Cinch remarked with a tiny shiver in her giddy voice. She pulled out a small pocket and reapplied her lipstick. However, it wasn’t her usual smudge-proof. No, this was a cheaper brand as it stains, highlighting her succulent ruby lips. She smacked lips, not allowing a single groove to be bare while straightening her azure suit. “Looks like I have to do it myself,” She said mischievously with a shrug, barely keeping her face strict. Although, the only change that Cinch went through since their time in Crystal Prep was a few gray streaks in her hair. Everything was right and tight. “If I remember correctly, he should be in his office at this hour,” Cinch smirked as she checked her wrist. “So you do…,” She paused, rotating her hand towards Sunny Flare. “Whatever that you do while the adults take care of business,” Cinch mocked with a grin.


The color drained from Sunny Flare's face at what happened next. “I think I’m going to be sick,” She held her stomach before heading to the nearby bathroom. No child should see or imagine their mother giving one of their classmates a super sloppy-toppy whirly swirly vacuumed gripped double-handed corkscrew gawk gawk 3000 combo with a clean-up. “Who the fuck am I kidding? She probably will,” Sunny Flare complained as she sighed with her hands on the granite countertop. Her grip tightened with a snarl. “It’s always fucking Dusk Shine,” Sunny Flare raged at her situation. WHAT MAKES HIM SO SPECIAL?! What makes him…better than her? The floodgates cracked with droplets of irksome tears slid down her face ruining her mascara. Dusk Shine has virtually everything that she wants. A loving and supportive family with both parents. Prestige at her school with her mother’s approval. He has to ask; then she’ll give it to him. Well, once he does something for her, like winning a few competitions. That’s like asking a fish to swim. Dusk Shine got his little lab shortly after that. Sunny Flare took pride in having more ‘friends’ than him but not anymore. He has a life outside of school and is meeting them this week. Another fucking failure to beat him. Again. “Why the fuck am I never good enough for you?” She whispered to herself before her heart dropped when the door opened.

“Sunny Flare?” Cadence questioned as she walked. Sunny Flare splashed cold water on her face to mask her sorrow when a pink hand passed a few paper towels to the student. Sunny Flare gave her a silent thank you as she wiped her face. The two stood there, not saying a word as Sunny Flare crossed her arms, avoiding eye contact with the Dean. Cadance laid a comforting Sunny Flare’s shoulder. The principal’s daughter's lips quivered before giving her an unexpected hug. Cadance smiled at the gesture while rubbing the top of Sunny Flare’s mulberry hair as she made subtle shakes. “Are you going to be okay, Sunny Flare?” She consoled as her babysitter manners reemerge to the troubled student after releasing each other.

“Yeah, I’m okay,” She answered softly as she wiped her face clean. Her phone buzzed with a message. Her ride is here. “I have to go, Dean Cadance,”

“Drive safe, Sunny Flare,” Cadance smiled sweetly to her. “Also, you're a good kid,” She declared, shocking the Number Two student.

“Thank you, Dean Cadance,” Sunny Flare replied with a shy smile before exiting the bathroom. Maybe, marrying Dusk Shine won’t be so bad, especially if it means having Cadance as family. Plus, his mother is lovely too. It’ll be nice to have an actual mother for once.

Cadence maintained her smile until the door closed, replacing it with a disapproving frown. Dusk Shine and Sunny Flare. She shook her head. “Cinch, what are you doing to these kids?”


Speaking of the bitch, she’s staring at a portfolio with a phone near her ear. “Yes, Mr. Firelight, you’re daughter’s achievements are quite impressive. Some of the best I’ve seen,” She remarked at the candidate. This Starlight Glimmer can be a rival for Dusk Shine of all people. Especially since her dear daughter Sunny Flare is more … assertive. A good trait to have but a problemsome one at worst. “She’ll be a wonderful addition to Crystal Prep High,” Cinch continued, as it’s always good to have more quality students. “However, due to the gap in her education, Starlight will have to take another semester or two,”

“Is there any way she can graduate on time?” Firelight pleaded on the other side of the phone. Crystal Prep is one of the best schools in Equestria. He can’t afford to lose this chance. It can be his and Starlight moment to shine.

A smirk marked her face. “There’s only so much that I can do but given my reputation. It allows my words to carry considerable weight. I can pull some strings to ensure your daughter’s early graduation,” She explained to his delight. Starlight can graduate early? That’s perfect! “However,” Cinch interrupted him as she put the folder down. “I can’t do this for everyone. You have to … let’s say convince me to enable her early graduation. As some people would say, the law of equivalent change,” She recalled some of the anime that Sunny Flare watches. Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood. Yes, that’s the one. Firelight remained speechless for his brain to process the demand. “Unleash, there’s nothing you can offer me. I will see you in the next academic year,” She confirmed as she checked her nails, wondering who’s the girl Dusk Shine is meeting. “I do believe we both know you have something I want or wish to know,” Cinch probed with a callous grin, tasting the sweat and hesitation from the man. “Am I correct?” She leaned forward.

Yes…” Firelight answered in a docile tone. Is she asking what he thinks she’s asking? Yes. Cinch always had a scheming streak in her blood. She doesn’t care what she must do to get what she wants.

She stood up as she watched Dusk Shine and his brother relax in their car, waiting for Cadance. “So tell me about this thing called ‘Magic,” Cinch asked the historian. He sighed before telling her what he knew.


Dusk Shine entered his room and closed the door behind him. He collapsed on his bed with a groan. “Crap, I’m losing control,” Dusk Shine muttered as he rubbed his face remembering what occurred in Cinch’s office. Night Blaze appeared above him with his trademark feral grin flagging his ebony corvid wings.

Why fuck the do you care about that Royal Pain in the ass?” He taunted his host while hovering. “He made your hell at school for years to soothe his pitiful ego,” Night Blaze groaned at some of the previous encounters. The teasing, taunts, pranks, or jokes as he and his cronies called them and destroyed his notes and projects. All for fun. It got to the point where Cinch and Cadance got involved and punished them with over a month’s worth of detention. Royal Pin’s father was pissed at them. However, Royal Pin didn’t listen and wanted payback. He stole his notes for a significant incoming test. Dusk Shine predicted this thanks to Cinch's tutelage.

The top student planted fake notes in a spare notebook identical to his main one. Those idiots took pictures of the notes without adequately checking them while he was in the bathroom. The aghast looks on their faces were priceless when they received their tests back. They knew it was terrible because their teacher was sitting on the desk with her head hanging low. Never in her twenty years of being a teacher has she seen so many F’s in a single test. He, Sunny Flare, and Indigo Zap were the only ones that passed that test. Man, they were pissed at the group, blaming them for the idea.“You finally took him down a peg,” Night Blaze congratulated the student getting face to face with him. It’s not weird. They’re literally the same person. In a way. Kind of. “And you didn’t need me to do it,” His grin grew wider, baring his fangs as it threatened to split his face. The alter ego flipped over, copying the position of the original, mocking him. “Soon, there will be no difference between you and me….” Night Blaze placed his hands behind his head. Dusk Shine opened his mouth to argue when the sound of a jiggling collar and scratching at his door. He smiled as he got up.

“Hey, buddy,” Dusk Shine opened the door and picked up his trusty dog Spike. “Sorry that I had to put you in doggy daycare. I had to deal with Cinch today,” He groaned along with Spike. “The feeling is mutual, but we can’t let her see you during school hours,” Dusk Shine cautioned his friends as he walked over to the bed. Spike nuzzled his head into his master’s chest as they laid down. Dusk Shine grinned at the comfortable weight, rubbing Spike’s hair. It granted him after a long day at his gilded crystal prison. Cinch won’t let him leave so easily. He was too valuable to her and her precious reputation, a walking brand for Crystal Prep High. An advertisement would be the better term. Come and join Crystal Prep High. Here we have Dusk Shine, the best student, a formerly quiet and mousey student but his time at Crystal Prep High morphed this extraordinary young man into a strong-willed and confident individual ready to dominate the world. You can too

Yep, that sounds like her,” Night Blaze remarked. “Best case scenario, you can graduate early,” He considered as he sat in the nearby chair.

“This is Cinch we’re talking about,” Dusk Shine replied as Spike looked up at him in concern. “She’ll probably find some way to keep me there until I officially graduate,” He muttered when Night Blaze groaned in agreement. “Don’t get me started on Cadance talking about the magic of friendship, or magic is friendship. There’s no such thing as friends at Crystal Prep,” Dusk Shine assured in annoyance before lowering his voice with his eyes dimming. He had friends or a friend at Crystal Prep, but they abandoned him for better gains. Friends were a fallacy among the elite. Everyone is either a colleague or business associate. It makes it a simple task to betray them to keep their stocks up or rot and decay whenever they encounter massive trouble to keep their white gloves clean. There’s no honor among thieves, after all. You don’t have to be the fastest, just faster than the slowest one. Even better when you trip or accidentally bump into them. Spike crawled up to him and licked his face. He smiled as he hugged his pet. “I had that dream again,” Dusk Shine confessed as he gazed at his palm. The canine barked his answer. “Yep, that one,” He sighed. It's been the same recurring dream for the last several months. Dusk Shine stood on top of a balcony in royal purple regalia overlooking a mass of untold thousands beyond the horizon as they cheered his name.


Hail, Prince Dusk Shine,” They chanted in sheer rapture with rows upon rows of flickering banners with his cutie mark. Was it a festival, his coordination, or did he achieve some monumental deed that’ll echo throughout the ages? Even when what remains of him are statues and portraits. Dusk Shine waved to the beaming crowd as his eyes met his family. His mother and father wiped tears of joy at their son. Same with his elder brother or liquid pride as he called it, while ornate golden and violet armor, holding Flurry Heart’s hand. Shining Armor was always the emotional one. Cadance playfully rolled her eyes at her husband’s actions. She used her elegant wings to wipe the tears as numerous tissues in various magical auras floated towards the Captain. He blew in his nose like a trombone into the fabric.

Two comforting hands planted themselves on his shoulders as the figures towered over him, but he only smiled. The sisters, Princess Celestia and Luna. Both had tiny grins that exploded with admiration for the mulberry male. Celestia gestured a small group behind her. A pair stepped forward; Sunset Shimmer in her vibrant crimson dress with an asymmetrical shirt highlighting her slender legs. He basked in her warmth as it ignited his hidden passion. Trixie wore a simple yet graceful sapphire dress that stopped in the middle of her thighs. Both were beautiful as always. Their horns illuminated in pale grayish blue, amaranth, and raspberry aura while his wings spread out.


That’s where the dream ends but not last week. The group interested him due to their unknown identities. Their faces were blurry; however, he had to see them before. It’s one of the core rules of dreams. All of the faces you’ve seen in dreams are faces you’ve seen before. If only it was that simple. Sometimes the members swap at random intervals. Great. Except for one, a woman with heliotrope skin and purple hair with light aquamarine streaks. He knew that it wasn’t Aria Blaze. The woman didn’t have the cocky and aggressive body language of the Dazzling. Plus, Adagio Dazzle and Sonata Dusk would’ve been there too. So who was she?

You know this kinda started when you touched that statue at Canterlot High,” Night Blaze pointed out from the chair. They blinked owlishly at the statement. “You don’t think that statue was a conduit for that, right?” He questioned before Dusk Shine rushed to his computer and logged in.

“Come on, where is it?” He muttered as he opened up a series of files and documents in rapid succession. “Ah, there it is,” The mouse icon found and clicked on the saved video. It displayed an elderly man with a magnificent beard wearing a pristine lab coat. Dusk Shine pressed play.

“Good afternoon, everyone. My name is Dr. Star Swirl,” He introduced himself before raising his wrinkled hand. “Yes, I know about the character. I own the rights to it,” Starswirl pointed to himself. “Hey, it helps with funding,” He shrugged before clearing his throat, remembering his task. “Back to today’s topic. We’re talking about the esoteric phenomenon that plagued researchers for centuries, perhaps even longer than that. They called it ‘magic’,” The esteemed researcher started before pausing. “I completely understand the confusion at why is a scientist talking about magic of all things. The first thing is that we have evidence of it over the years,” The video showed various depictions and illustrations ranging from cave paintings, medieval manuscripts, and some photos in the last century. “We don’t call it magic anymore. Instead, we called it EM or Aether. This Aether is a strange form of energy that randomly appears in our world. It impacts everything, such as living things and items, but those are rare,” Another video shows a horde of ravenous plants devouring an entire cow in a single chomp. “Weather patterns,” Several freak simultaneous storms destroying settlements. “Like anything, we tried to see if we can use it for the betterment of the world,” Starswirl remarked with an enthusiastic expression before frowning. He remained silent with a haunted look on his seemingly gaunt face. “However, we were too ambitious, too arrogant, and it cost lives,” The scientist whispered when a slideshow started.

A much younger Star Swirl without his beard and teams of researchers from Equestria and beyond. More pictures depict their success and failure before stopping a machine. The gateway, as they called it. Many speculated on the origins of Aether. An alternate dimension was the most common and preferred one because it easily interacted with the laws of their world as it belonged here. The science community beamed at the possibility, pouring immense resources into the project. However, something went wrong. There were several reasons. The main was that the Aether was far more powerful than what their meager minds could imagine, and their machines couldn’t handle it. Also, people cut corners with safety protocols and backroom deals. “What happened can only be described as a disaster,” He sighed, dragging his hand through his grey hair. Another video showed eager researchers and observers waiting for the experiment to start.

Activating the gateway now,” It slowly whirred and hummed as they activated the machine. A rainbow of energy charged and flowed as arcs of electricity crackled and roared. The observers chattered in worry about what was occurring. “Stabilizing…Stabilizing…Stabilizing,” An automated voice repeated, easing their fears before expanding their eyes in wonder at the opening portal. It was a bird’ eyes view of a quaint and homely settlement. A quick analysis of the architecture and geological landmarks enabled the scholars to know the town’s location. Ponyville. This alternate world has a Ponyville too? They cheered at their success as they shook hands and embraced each other with bottles of champagne. There’s a whole new world for them to discover which wasn’t too different from their own. Brand new cultures, ideas, and concepts ready for them to explore.

Oh, the poor fools. Too caught up in their blinding euphoria to hear the rapid beeping of the warnings button. Ignorant. Thinking they can control and use this supernatural force is as simple as these petty machines or the wind pushing their sails. Warning sirens flared, evaporating their triumph, coating them in blood-red lights. “Danger, Danger, Danger,” The portal summoned monstrous gales, knocking their glasses and bottles on the ground, shattering them. They screamed as the shards stormed around them before a wisp of smoke brushed their noses. The gateway sparked rampantly as it shook in with a low rumble while the portal’s maw widened, unleashing more waves of aether. A bright rainbow flash obscured the screen with sudden screams followed by collapsing metal and stone. Static. The video cut back to current Dr. Star Swirl.

“This was our first and potential last major attempt in using Aether,” He explained to the screen. “Our machines were insufficient in handling the amount of Aether stored. Despite how little we found,” Star Swirl sighed as he shook his head. “If only that was the end of the story,” Newspaper clips littered the screen. Dusk Shine caught a few headlines. Gateway sabotage. Corruption in the science field. “Some of my fellow researchers were ‘convinced’ to loosen some of the safety restrictions,” The bearded man air quoted, holding the bile in his voice. “A few investors wanted to see if the accident can give them superpowers,” Dusk Shine and Night Blaze facepalmed at the reasoning. Seriously?! They wanted to get superpowers?! “Believe I know how you feel. 86 dead and injured, including some of the investors plus upwards to 2.8 billion dollars in terms of damages and lawsuits,” Star Swirl grumbled at the loss of his friends and teams. Some of the best and brightest minds are lost due to the greed of others. “Well, we did find something. Aether can infect humans with various effects depending on the person. Little to no effects, alternations to their bodies, and even developing supernatural powers but severe effects on their bodies and mental state,” He acknowledged as it opens new possibilities. “In fact, some of the autopsy reports showed that some had a type of latent Aether in their systems,” Dusk Shine blinked at the information. Latent aether? “Then these characters from myths and legends weren’t exaggerations. They were true. Although this unsettled the world. Research on Aether has been prohibited or at least heavily restricted due to its instability, danger, and the ambition of madmen,” Star Swirl revealed before pausing for a moment. “The good thing that Aether is rare, but it appears randomly. If the historical records are true, then it’s always been around. We don’t know much about the items either. Hopefully, it’s lost to time or somewhere safe. I hope to Faust it is,” He muttered as Dusk Shine nodded in agreement. “The best advice I can give for Aether is to avoid it and prepare for anything. Who knows when it’ll appear again,” Star Swirl cautioned to the viewer. “This is Dr. Star Swirl, and have a good day,” The video ended with a replay icon on the screen. Dusk Shine gazed at his palm as he processed his situation. Latent aether. The fact he didn’t start seeing Night Blaze until after he touched Canterlot High’s horse statue. The top student had magic in his system. Can he remove it some way?

Nope,” Night Blazed taunted in his ear. “I’m not simply a part of you,” He wrapped an arm around the scholar like they were buddies. “I’m your dark desires and hidden passions and thoughts. The parts that you don’t reveal,” The demon or fallen angel held his hand. “No matter what you do. I’ll always be a part of you right down your very cells. And you’ll be a part of me as well,” He replied in his host’s voice before vanishing, leaving Dusk Shine alone in his room with Spike, who whimpered. Dusk Shine picked him up and petted his head.

“I’m going to be okay, Spike,” He comforted his friend despite not believing his own words.


The Shadowbolts B-team relaxed and chatted in one of the Canterlot mall’s food courts. Their table was littered with smoothies, and trays filled with pizza, burgers, and pretzels. “Number 54,” One of the workers yelled.

“Hey, Trenderhoof, that’s us,” Neon Lights checked the receipt.

“I’ll get it,” The blonde stood up and went to their counter. He waited in line when his violet eyes caught one of his classmates. It’s Dusk Shine scrolling through his phone. Damn, did he get stood up or something? Shit, that sucks. Nobody deserves that since Dusk Shine spent time planning. Trenderhoof opened his mouth to call him when Dusk Shine glanced to his side and smiled. His dumbstruck eyes when to dinner plates at who Dusk Shine grinned at. A gorgeous girl with smooth blue skin and silky frost hair in a blue starry hoodie and jeans strutted towards him. The pair chatted for a brief moment before walking together. “Hey, can I get a to-go bag, please?” He requested the cashier. “Thank you,” Trenderhoof replied before darting off to his friends. “Guys, guys, guys, guys,” He rattled off while holding a green plastic bag.

“Dude, what happened,” Neon Lights questioned to the panting Trenderhoof.

“Dusk Shine. Girl. Let’s check it out,” Trenderhoof answered, pointing the general direction.

“He did say he was meeting a girl. So why do we care?” Royal Pin shrugged while checking his iPhone. “She’s probably a weirdo like him,”

“That may be true, but she is cute,” Trenderhoof emphasized his claim. They shared a look.

“I got to see this,” Neon Light stood up as the rest followed his action before piling their trash on the trays.

“Guys, people get paid to do this for us,” Royal Pin retorted as they carried their refuse to the nearby waste bin.

“They don’t get paid extra for the amount of the trash they clean,” Trenderhoof retorted as they followed him. The Shadowbolts searched for Dusk Shine and his female companion when Suri Polomare pointed to the second floor recognized that striped hair. He’s talking to someone. They went up the escalator, tracking the pair to a game shop filled with cards, video games, and other paraphernalia.

Holy shit,” They whispered, observing Dusk Shine interact with this mystery girl at a display case through a window from the other side of the store.

“See, I told you she was cute,” Trenderhoof assessed his early statement. “I know she doesn’t go to our school,” He confirmed. Royal Pin narrowed his eyes to focus on the female. He widened them in recognition as he gritted his teeth.

That son of a bitch,” Royal Pin fumed, slamming his fist against the window rumbling it. It gathered the attention of the store. The Shadowbolts ducked from the numerous gazes.

“Royal Pin, what the Tartarus is wrong with you?” Jet Set whispered in an annoyed tone.

“Do you know the girl?” Upper Crust continued the questions.

“Yeah, that girl is my cousin, Trixie Lulamoon,” Royal Pin seethed as they sat on the floor. His cousin. They took a quick glance at the girl. Now they can see her face. She’s talking with Dusk Shine holding packs of her trading cards in her hands. Same skin tone and hair. Neon Lights and Trenderhoof covered their mouths to muffle their chuckles, recalling Dusk Shine's joke in Cinch’s office. “Oh shut up,”

“They’re leaving,” Upper Crust muttered to the group. Dusk Shine and Trixie carried their charcoal bags as they exited the store. They followed the duo to more stores such as a bookstore, clothing, and magic shop. The two stopped at a lounge before sitting down near some red bean bags. They watched him rattle off about something as he held one of his books, expecting her to be annoyed, but no. She had a content smile as he continued. Dusk Shine stopped and regained his composure, mumbling an apology as he pushed up his glasses. Trixie grinned as she shook her head as there was nothing to apologize for. Dusk Shine played with his hair, momentarily forgetting he cut it with a meek blush. “I think we should leave them alone,” Upper Crust suggested to their confusion. “He looks…happy,” She smiled. They never saw Dusk Shine, Mr. Stick-up-his-butt, so calm or happy before. They exchanged looks. Maybe she’s right; this Trixie girl is special to him.

“What are you guys doing?” Sunny Flare interrupted the group with Sour Sweet and Sugarcoat.

“Are you guys spying on Dusk Shine?” Sour Sweet questioned the sweating group.

“Looks like he’s having fun,” Sugarcoat considered as she adjusted her glasses. He’s smiling. Sour Sweet rolled her eyes.

“I’m getting to the bottom of this,” Royal Pin marched forward to the two.

“Dude, what are you doing?” Trenderhoof fretted before following him along with the rest of the Shadowbolts in an attempt to stop him.

“Bad set again?” Dusk Shine asked, holding a pack of Yugioh cards. Trixie groaned at her misfortune again. “Maybe I should try?” He picked a random one from the bag.

“I swear if you get a Dark magician,” Trixie growled as he tore open a pack. He widened his eyes, covering his mouth. She narrowed her eyes at him. “You got one did you?”

“Well, Dark Magician of Chaos,” Dusk Shine revealed the ritual card to her. She let a closed mouth scream with expanded eyes pointing at him. He grabbed another pack, tearing one open. “Come on, I can’t get it twice in a row. Oh, Dark Magician and Dark Magician Girl,” Dusk Shine answered.

I hate you,” Trixie whispered at the trio in his mulberry hands. He offered them to her. “No, it won’t be the same,” She refused his gesture.

“Bellatrix Lulamoon,” Royal Pin called out to the magician. “What are you doing here with him, of all people?” He demanded as she stood up with a glare of her own, placing her hands on her hips. Dusk Shine raised his brow at the two. What’s going on here? He groaned upon seeing the rest of the Shadowbolts.

“It’s none of your damn business, thank you very much,” Trixie spat out. “If you can’t see, I’m still busy,” She shooed him away, turning her back towards him.

“Now you listen here, you two-bit charlatan,” Royal Pin raged, attempting to snatch her back when a crushing force met his wrist. Dusk Shine glared at him with eyes colder than liquid nitrogen in his purple hoodie with a pink star in the middle. Royal Pin futility tried to pull away from his grasp. He grunted as Dusk Shine held him in place as his muscles and bones screamed for release.

“I recommend that you choose your next actions carefully,” Dusk Shine threatened his teammate in a low tone chilling him to the bone. His team shook their heads. You don’t harm a girl in front of her friends or a significant other.

“Dusk Shine, let him go. He’s not worth the headache,” Trixie advised her friend. He did just that. Royal Pin massaged his stinging red wrist. “Care to introduce me to your friends?” She acknowledged the group.

“They aren’t my friends. They’re my classmates.” Dusk Shine corrected the statement. “A huge difference,” They frowned at his answer. Why did the information pierce their hearts? Did those three years mean nothing to him? Well, you guys did treat him like an outcast for those three years. He feels nothing towards you guys.

Oh, my mistake,” Trixie taunted the group putting extra attention to the fist-clenching Sour Sweet. He rolled his eyes at her.

“This is my friend Bellatrix Lulamoon,” Dusk Shine introduced. “She’s also my rival,”

BUT I’M YOUR RIVAL!” Sunny Flare cried out, placing her hand against her sweater covered chest. They stared at her in confusion as she covered her face from her outburst.

“Yeah, at school,” Dusk Shine declares, arching his brow. Damn, that’s a touchy subject for her. “Think of us as different fantasy genres. I’m sci-fi while Trixie’s classic fantasy,” He explained as she crossed her arms and pouted. “Trixie?” Dusk Shine called out while she groaned. “Are you serious Trixie?”

“I’m not merely Bellatrix Lulamoon,” She started. “I’m the Great and Powerful Trixie,” The performer waved her finger in the air rolling the R in her name. They stared at the couple, trying to process their dynamic.

“You can’t call yourself Great and Powerful when you call me to kill spiders,” Dusk Shine retorted, knocking her off her high horse. Oh, Dusk Shine’s the stoic and serious one, while Trixie is upbeat and flamboyant. Trixie blushed as they snickered the jab before smirking what she had in store.

“Shut up before I get the handcuffs again,” She teased while caressing his face with a half-lid expression.

“Ayo, what the fuck?” Someone in the Shadowbolts muttered as their faces turned into tomatoes. Handcuffs? Wait, does Dusk Shine fuck?! He lost his V-card before them?

“You stay away from me with that,” Dusk Shine warned the beaming Trixie. “It’s for a magic trick,” He explained, gesturing his hands to his team. They exhaled. Oh, it was for a magic trick. “That was super awkward when my mom walked into my room. Telling us about safewords and crap,” Dusk Shine shivered at the conservation.

“You still broke out of it,” Trixie replied, enjoying the stunned reactions of his team.

“Because you forget the key,” Dusk Shine retorted, pointing at his friend.

“This was in his room?” Sour Sweet and Royal Pin reported with trembling voices. “Why?”

Friends come over to each other’s houses. His mother knows me,” Trixie shrugged as she grinned widened into a cheshire’s as it played with its food. “Plus, his queen-sized bed is really comfy, and he has a mini-fridge,” She drove the knife deeper into the wound. “But from what he told me. It’s not surprising that you didn’t know that,” Trixie accused as she checked her nails. Her performing eyes scanned their frowns and blank expressions, providing her the answer. “Looks like I was right. You guys spent your lives cruising on wealth, believing that it’ll carry you forever like Challenger playing with Gold,” She marched towards with a confident palm on her hips. “Then this adorkable genius appeared, invalidating everything you held dear. He has what you have, and he’s so much better. You can do what he can do but not as good,” Trixie mocked before adopting an expression of mock horror, placing her hands on her face. “But oh the horror, the mere possibility of actually putting effort in your cushiony lives that doesn’t require writing a check or paying someone else to do all the work while you take all the credit,” That line stung Suri Polomare. “Oh, woe the prestigious elite, how art thou overcome this tragedy?” She antagonized the group with her hand on her forehead as if she were about to faint. The performer imitates the haughty voice of an aristocrat. Her dark violet glimmered in amusement. Royal Pin’s veins flared, threatening to burst like a hose while others remained like stone or rubbed the back of their heads. They can’t counter anything she said. “I guess picking up a book is too mighty of a task,” Trixie smirked with pearly white teeth visible. Oh, how she loved working a crowd. A young woman wearing a beanie with purple and aquamarine striped hair observed the confrontation.

“Trixie,” Dusk Shine warned. She turned her nose at them and went to his side.

“What a girl can’t have a little fun?” Trixie prolonged her smile as she pinched her fingers.

“Are you two … you know?” Suri Polomare questioned with a lewd gesture with her moisturized hands. They titled her heads at her invasive question.

“No,” Dusk Shine answered before glancing at Trixie as a scarlet flashed across his face. “If we do, then we should be in a safe and comfortable environment. Be in our proper state of mind so we can both clearly give consent. Take all the necessary precautions, and that I romanced you a bit,” He stammered like a glitching audio log as she blushed as well. “Trixie, if we're going to do this then I want to do this right,” He declared to the giggling magician.

“You romance me?” Trixie wheezed out, holding her aching stomach. “Dusk Shine, I’m leading,” She announced in a breathy tone in his sensitive ears. He stood stiff with his back straightened like a flagpole. “Come on, let’s go,” Trixie grabbed her bags and did he.

“Where are you two going?” Sour Sweet demanded

“None of your beeswax,” Trixie shot off, getting annoyed by Sour Sweet’s aggression. “You’re not his friend, so why do you care what he does in his spare time?” She defended the mulberry friend.

“We need him for the Friendship Games. He doesn’t need any distractions,” Sour Sweet snarled, getting into her face. Dusk Shine stepped forward when her blue hand stopped him. She got this.

Maybe I should help him relieve some stress then?” Trixie countered with a cruel smirk. “Or will you do it?” Sour Sweet studdered with a raging blush, unable to answer. “And there it is. He’s simply your ticket to victory, not like you care about anything else. You’ve been with him for three years and still don’t know a damn thing about him,”

“Yes, we do,” Trenderhoof remarked.

“Okay, before the haircut, did you think Dusk Shine was a boy or girl?” Trixie quizzed the group as the piercings shined in the overhead lights.

“Female to Male transitioning?” Neon Lights answered. They facepalmed at the reply.

“Really?” Sour Sweet, Sugarcoat, and Sunny Flare groaned. Dusk Shine shrugged. He does look effeminate with his long hair.

“Okay, when is my birthday?” Dusk Shine gave them another chance to answer. “The month or the zodiac sign,” They mumbled their answers.

“He’s an earth sign,” Sour Sweet answered, which limits it to three. “And you’re born during the fall semester,” He nodded, given their history together.

“So he’s a Virgo or a Capricorn,” Suri Polomare calculated. They can’t figure out which one, though.

“You guys can argue on what he is,” Trixie took his arm into hers. “Let’s head home,” He offered no protest as they walked off. She gave a mocking grin as she stuck her tongue. Sour Sweet growled with a snarl plunging daggers into Trixie’s back. She exhaled. There’s nothing she can do right now.

Let’s go, Shadowbolts,” Sour Sweet ordered the team before dispersing the various directions.

Author's Note:

Alright we got some lore on magic aka Aether. I went through several rewrites for the lore of this world. First, I started with no magic but then I realized something. How the hell was I going to do some of these plots like Everfree? So I made Aether canon but in a different way

Plus we got Starlight Glimmer showing up soon. Don't worry, I'll have other villains like the Dazzlings, Cozy Glow and Shadow Tempest