• Published 5th Apr 2022
  • 459 Views, 23 Comments

A Fearful Joke - TheClownPrinceofCrime



Starlight must confront her worst fears before she can find a way to save her friends from the evil plaguing Equestria.

  • ...
 23
 459

Chapter 7: Put Your Fears Away

Celestia, Luna, and the Mane Six all waited for Batgirl to return with Starlight. Twilight faced outside the window with drops of sweat all over her forehead; Pinkie bit her lip in anxiety right before eating her strawberry cupcakes; Fluttershy paced back and forth non-stop; Applejack and Rarity stayed close together, and Rainbow flew around the castle outside. The Royal Sisters silently remained seated on their thrones while closing their eyes.

"They should be back by now, sister. What's keeping them?"

"Don't worry, Lulu. They'll be back safe and sound. I know it," Celestia replied.

Suddenly, a rocket flew right through the window with Rainbow on top thereof. It then exploded just below the ceiling, releasing yellow gas throughout the entire throne room. Every pony coughed and wheezed to gain oxygen until they all passed out.

Just on top of the castle, Joker and Scarecrow were seen carrying a tied-up Trixie and laying her on the balcony. "Ah, don't you love it when you spread joy and laughter in another universe? It's like Santa Claus bringing gifts to good little children! Oh, I miss Christmas already..." Joker sighed.

"Indeed. And now joy will be joined with fear, making it more...complete," added Scarecrow.

"Couldn't have said it better myself, Zombie Man. Let's get the Panic Party started!" Joker shouted, lifting the scepter.

After removing the top lid thereof, he dropped a cup of laughter chemicals into the scepter. Then Scarecrow poured his cup of fear toxin chemicals and mixed them all together. Closing the lid, Joker shook the scepter back and forth which resulted in the relic radiating a bright yellow aurora. It hovered in the air and started to rapidly spin. It ejected a massive stream of yellowish-green gas, making it spread across the entire city.

"And so it begins..." muttered Scarecrow.


"Starlight, are you alright?" Batgirl asked.

After coughing several times, the unicorn opened her eyes and saw multiple ponies glaring at her and gnashing their sharp teeth at her. "NO!" she yelled, shielding her eyes with her hooves.

"What's wrong?" Batgirl looked toward her direction and saw nobody around them. Gasping, she gently laid Starlight on the grass.

"Batgirl, help me! They're going to hurt me!"

"Don't worry, I got the antidote ready--huh? Oh, no, no, no! I used them all up!"

Then the unicorn screamed in horror again and kept her eyes shut tight. "You have to fight it, Starlight! You gotta face your fears! It's the only way now!" Batgirl shouted.

A few seconds later, Starlight opened her eyes and saw herself alone in a dark mindscape. She looked left and right, up and down only to find nothing and no one with her.

“I just want this to stop! PLEASE END THIS!!” she cried out.

Suddenly, a giant black pillar emerged from below and reached all the way above her. It opened its red eyes and sharp teeth before it uttered a cruel laugh. Starlight fearfully trembled before the pillar.

“Poor little Starlight—all alone. No friends, no family, no love. Too weak to save everyone from death, too cowardly to stand up for herself, and too stupid to realize she’s lost,” the pillar taunted.

All her friends from her old village surrounded her again and scornfully laughed at her. The Mane Six also appeared and likewise vehemently mocked her.

Then Starlight stood still and wiped off the tears from her eyes. She remembered the moment the citizens of her old village gladly embrace her after she wholeheartedly apologized for what she did to them.

She even recalled the important lesson she learned when she realized the error of her ways: “Friends can change the world; friends can change the world you see.” She recalled the new friendships she made with Twilight, Trixie, Spike, and the others and having the joy and laughter in making friends with them. She remembered Sunburst and the moment they finally reconciled after so long of not seeing each other.

Sadly smiling, she finally stood upright and glared daggers at the pillar. “I may have messed up in the past, but that is no longer who I am today. I won’t let my past dictate my identity anymore, and neither will YOU!!”

At that moment, the darkness started to crumble and slowly fall apart. The hallucinations screamed in agony and disappeared into thin air. “No! No! Fear must not be conquered! You should be afraid!” the pillar screamed.

“Not anymore,” replied Starlight. She calmly closed her eyes while a bright aurora surrounded her and pushed back the crumbling darkness.

“NO! NOOOOOOOO!!!!!” the pillar vanished from sight along with the rest of the darkness.

Starlight opened her eyes and got back up on her hooves. “I...I did it. I conquered my fears!”

“Awesome! That’s what I’m talking about, girl!” Batgirl complimented. Then they both heard terrified screams and hysterical laughs from a far distance. They widened their eyes in shock to see a humongous puff of gas covering the entire city of Canterlot.

“We don’t have much time. We gotta stop those creeps before the gas spreads throughout Equestria!” Starlight reminded.

“Agreed! Here, take this!” Batgirl handed to her a gas mask before she put one on herself.

“This time, we will work together to save our friends. I’ll take Scarecrow, and you go for Joker. Sounds good?”

“Fine by me,” nodded Batgirl. “But let’s try to get the others to safety first before we do that.”

“Right. With the power of friendship, nothing will stand in our way!” Then Starlight blushed in embarrassment. “Whoa, I almost talked like Twilight right there.”

“At least you don’t sound like her...” Batgirl muttered, winking.

“What was that?”

“Nothing.”

Author's Note:

Happy Fourth of July, folks! One more chapter to go!