• Published 15th Aug 2011
  • 1,301 Views, 4 Comments

The Best Riff in Equestria - MrTibbz

  • ...
 4
 1,301

A new opportunity!

The Best Riff in Equestria
A story by Mr.Tibbz

Chapter Two: A new opportunity!

“So, let me get this straight: you want me to perform with a DJ at an outdoor rave party?”

“That’s the idea! I’m sure she’ll be okay with it as long as it’s in good fun,” Sieg said.

“Oh yeah, and if I get booed off stage?” I asked, knowing this was going to be the crowds’ most probable reaction to me crashing their rave party.

“Hey, this is the only chance we’ll have to actually have a crowd. All you need is some new gear.”

“What’s wrong with my guitar?” I asked, puzzled. It did it’s job fine for the past six years.

“We need something with more ‘oomph’ in it. I suggest we grab an electric guitar so you can really start rocking.”

“I guess,” I said, not really happy that I wasn’t going to be using my trusted instrument of choice.

“It’ll be fine, Riff. Just you wait and see!” Sieg uttered cheerfully, gaining a pep in his step.

The thought of performing at an outdoor rave party seemed good on paper, but I was still skeptical about the whole thing.

“So, where did you say we’re meeting this Vinyl Scratch?” I asked, having forgotten amidst my thoughts.

“I read that she would be visiting the Café before the show,” Sieg explained.

“Oh, great! I am starving!” I chirped, not having eaten since morning.

It was still broad daylight when we approached the fancy looking restaurant.
The restaurant seemed almost full, but a particular table seemed to catch Siegs’ eyes.

“There she is! C’mon Riff, let’s go meet her,” Sieg said with a smile on his face.

“Alright, let’s see what the fuss is about,” I relented before being confronted by Sieg face to face.

“Oh and Riff, try to keep your comments to yourself. This is important,” Sieg told me with a stone-faced expression I’ve rarely seen on him.

“Uh, sure thing, Sieg, I won’t mess this up,” I responded nervously, trying not to show the fact that I was completely smothered in fear at the thought of what he’d do to me if I made us lose our only chance at going big.

Sieg and I approached the white pony wearing black-rimmed shades with purple lenses on her forehead. She seemed to be enjoying a daffodil and daisy sandwich.

Sieg stepped forward to the DJ pony’s table first.

“Hello. Vinyl Scratch, I presume?” Sieg asked, again returning to his good-mannered self.

“You presumed right! What can I help you two colts with?” She replied. Her voice was quite powerful but it had a sense of calmness in it; I wasn’t sure how to describe it.

“My name is Sieg Musica, and this is my companion, Riff!”

I waved a hoof at her. She didn’t seem to notice.

“We were just hoping that we could come to an agreement with you in regards to the rave party you are planning today,” Sieg continued.

“Hmm... proceed,” she said in an almost mocking manner.

“Well, uh... we thought that we could help spice up your show a bit by doing rock performances in between your songs for tonight,” Sieg explained nervously, starting to sweat a bit, managing to keep a polite smile in spite of his obvious concern.

“I’m guessing the orange guy here is the one performing?” She shot me a look, freezing me in place.

“Um, yes, that is correct,” Sieg answered promptly, becoming even more nervous about whether or not she would approve of this.

“You think you can put on a good show?” Vinyl asked, still facing me.

“Um, yes I bel-” Sieg was abruptly interrupted by the DJ pony.

“I wasn’t asking you, I was asking him,” she pointed her hoof at me.

“Oh! Well, yeah! Of course I’ll put on a good show! I’m the best rocker around!” That last phrase sounded a bit too cocky. I am going to die any moment now, I just know it.

“Oh, really? Well, I’ll see you at the show then,” the DJ pony responded cooly. She then got up from her table while putting back on her trademark shades with her magic.

“Consider this an agreement, Mr. Musica. We’ll meet backstage in the town square,” having said her piece, she trotted off.

“Hey! look at that; my blabbering got us in the show!” I said with a smug grin.

“Riff, sometimes, you just amaze me,” Sieg said with a relief.

It is still daylight; that meant we still had time to explore Ponyville. I was still hungry from before, so we decided to stay at the cafe and order some food.

Sieg ordered some hay fries, while I ordered the daffodil and daisy sandwich.

“Hey Sieg? What did ya think of that Vinyl Scratch?” I asked, trying to stir up a conversation.

“Oh, uh, she was... helpful,” said Sieg, not really paying attention to my words.

“I dunno, man. I thought she was cool,” I added, “those shades of hers were awesome. Where can I get some of those?”

“I have no idea, Riff. Just focus on getting that electric guitar for tonight's show,” Sieg said, munching on his hay fries.

After we finished up our food and paid for our orders, we started heading towards the town square. A stage had already been erected by the work-ponies.

After wondering around the square for a while, I was hit with a sudden realization.

“Sieg... there are no music shops in Ponyville.”

Sieg froze, suddenly realizing this as well. I guess we both kinda forgot that little detail.

“Riff, you don’t happen to have a possible relative in Ponyville who is also musically inclined?” he asked, his pupils slowly shrinking in size.

“Uh, no...” I answered, his pupils now resembling small dots.


=====================================================================

“How are we supposed to be heard now if you don’t have an electric guitar we can plug into a speaker?!” Sieg predictably panicked.

Calming him down was no easy task as he took to flailing about in circles.

“Sieg! Calm down! I think I know where we can get an electric guitar,” I half-shouted.

Sieg stopped dead in his circular routine and faced me, standing a bit too close for comfort.

“Where, Riff? WHERE?!” he screamed at me, taking hold of and then shaking me at the same time.

“Manehattan.”

“We won’t be able to get there and back in time! It’s almost afternoon!” Sieg exclaimed, returning back to his circular motions.

“The more time you spend going in circles, the less time we have actually getting to Manehattan!” I shouted, trying to snap him out of his panicked circular pacing. It started to make me feel sick from dizziness. “It’s not like we have another choice.”

Sieg stopped circling about to face me.

“...Okay, Riff, but if we miss this chance... you don’t even wanna imagine what I’ll do to you!” He glared at me for a moment.

“Alright, Sieg. Trust me, we’ll get through this.”

We both nodded and galloped towards the trailer we parked near the entrance.

We both climbed into the trailer, Sieg taking the wheel while I gave him directions.
We drove for about two hours until...

“Uh, Sieg, when did you last refill the gas?” I asked out of curiosity, noticing a slight jerkiness to the trailer.

“Not since our previous sto-... uh-oh...” Sieg froze up, quickly looking at the tank meter. We were running empty.

“Oh, well that’s just great!” I said in annoyance as the trailer immediately started to slow down until it reached a full stop.

Sieg and I got out of the trailer to try and examine the situation. It was still a long way to go.

“Argh! This is all your fault, Riff!” Sieg shouted, and pointed accusingly.

“My fault?! It was you who wanted me to get that stupid electric guitar!” I argued.

“I never should have agreed to this!” Sieg retorted.

Our arguing soon reached a peak and we were about to charge one another when I saw something in the distance that appeared to be coming our way.

“Sieg stop. Look!” I pointed behind him to a horse-drawn carriage approaching us.

“Trying to trick me again, eh? Not this time!” He almost charged me until we heard a voice coming from the carriage as it stopped beside us.

“Do you two you require some assistance?” said an unfamiliar voice. It was coming from behind the door of the carriage.

“Well, our vehicle broke down and we desperately need to get to Manehattan,” Sieg suddenly forgot all his rage towards me and proceeded to speak in a polite manner.

“I can get you to Manehattan, if you wish,” replied the voice.

“Yes please!” We said in unison.

After being invited into the carriage, which was in fact very nicely decorated with red cushions and very dark wood paneling, we were greeted by a very unexpected pony.

“Princess Luna?” Sieg asked as it sunk in that the pony was an alicorn, and was of a dark blue color.

“Princess Luna? But wait I thought you were ban-” Sieg’s hoof was practically in my mouth before I had a chance to speak another word.

“Your highness!” Sieg said, bowing his head and elbowing me in the sides, prompting me to do the same. “What brings you here?”

“I was just visiting Ponyville to check up on a few things. You two seemed like you were about to tear each other apart back there,” She stated in a very calming tone, a touch of sadness in her eyes.

“Oh it was nothing, Princess,” Sieg nervously explained, glaring back at me with a grin.

“Y-yeah, n-nothing,” I added.

“Very well. I will let you two sort it out yourselves. You needed to go to Manehattan, yes?” Luna asked.

“Yes. We need to get to a music shop in Manehattan in order to buy a certain instrument for our show tonight,” I quickly answered.

“I’m afraid we don’t have much time,” Sieg added dourly.

“I can drop you off at Manehattan’s market district,” she offered in a soft, comforting tone.

“Oh, many thanks to you, your Majesty!” Sieg practically wept, bowing his head lower..

“It is not a problem. I was heading there myself,” she replied with a warm smile.

We conversed during the rest of the trip to Manehattan’s market district. Luna had quite the thirst for knowledge of the daily life of a pony in today’s times, especially travelling ponies like us.

In what felt like only a few minutes, we arrived in Manehattan’s market district. Princess Luna dropped us off, as promised. Before we could even state our thanks, she offered us yet another kindness.

“Here are some bits for your troubles.” She handed us an impressive satchel containing numerous bits. “I just wanted to make sure the show goes well tonight,” she added somewhat bashfully.

As she started to close the carriage door, we quickly brought our jaws back from the ground in order to thank the Princess one last time.

=====================================================================

We gleefully hopped all the way through the market district until we saw a shop called “Guitars, Flutes And More.”

“There! I think we found it, Siegy!” I chirped with excitement.

“Let’s go! Before it closes!” Sieg replied, obviously feeling just as happy as I was.

Upon entering the store, Sieg and I scoured the shop for the most expensive electric guitar we could find.

“Hey Riff, you like this one?” He pointed his hoof to a brilliant white guitar. It’s fretboard was infused with diamonds and the base of the guitar was polished to the point of mirroring my reflection.

“Yeah, let’s go with this one.”

I carefully lifted the guitar off its stand and brought it over to the counter.

The receptionist pony looked at us with a bored look on his face.

“That will be two-thousand-seven-hundred and ninety-nine bits, sir,” said the dull gray pony.

We tossed the satchel on the counter.

“Will this cover it?” We asked in unison, huge, cheerful grins on our faces at the sight of the receptionist-pony’s surprised look.

The withdrawal of almost three-thousand bits left the satchel significantly emptier, though the tell-tale jingle of a few dozen remaining bits sang with every step.

“This should be enough for the taxi fare to Ponyville,” Sieg observed after taking a quick peak inside.
End of Chapter 2