• Published 21st Mar 2022
  • 1,182 Views, 29 Comments

Harmony's End - Vanity



Six Elements, Six Friends, Six Different Ponies at Harmony's End.

  • ...
6
 29
 1,182

Magic

Dear Princess Celestia.

It has been so long since I've written those words, they no longer seem real. They seem foreign, strange, alien. But this time, I do not write seeking advice or comfort. I write to you to let you know that I have failed.

The Pegasai and Unicorns have broken from Equestria. The war drums of the three tribes beat once more, and I am afraid. Afraid that my foalishness, my callousness, my failure to act, has torn Equestria in three once more. Every time I walk outside, I cast my eyes to the sky, expecting to see Windigos circling above. Yet, they do not come - why? I have wondered this from time to time, but the only solution I can arrive at is that the worst is still to come.

I am left with no other option than to believe that war is on the horizon. Already, the Pegasai have begun to demand food from Equestria, threatening storms and hail should we fail to comply. The Unicorns threaten to stall the heavens above us, casting the shadow of eternal night on this land once more. Though my powers are great, I cannot best the efforts of a thousand unicorns fighting against me. I am certain these demands, though small now, will grow greater as time passes. Soon, they will grow too great to meet, and when that time comes, this land shall once more be consumed in fighting.

But through it all, I recognize a single, universal truth. Magic, though our powerful friend and ally, has come to divide us. Empower us. If the Pegasai were to lose the flight under their wings, they would be cowed. Should the spark of magic fade from the Unicorn's horn, he would shy from open war. Therefore, In my failure, I resolved to forever neuter the power of the three tribes, at least until Harmony can be restored to this land. Until Equestria is once again a land where Unicorns, Pegasai and Earth Pony foals can play together as friends, all shall be denied the magical essence of their birth.

In short, I must do the last thing I can.

I am sealing the magic of the Unicorns, the Pegasai and the Earth Ponies in three crystals struck from the gems Rarity was so fortunately able to secure, crystals I have already entrusted to her, Fluttershy and Pinkie Pie. Alone, the crystals are useless. When two are bought together, they are impotent. And even when three are united, they shall be of no help. The only way the magic within can be recovered, the only way magic can be restored to Equestria, is for the three tribes to set apart their differences, to embrace friendship and harmony once more.

This course of action has one, fatal defect - to be done thoroughly, we, too, must be robbed of our magic. I have studied and searched for any other possible solution, but this is the only one I could muster in the little time I have had, and I fear a full-scale conflict could break out before I have time to find one.

The loss of our magic would, of course, mean that we would no longer live the long lives we currently do. It is likely that through this, we will once again become mortal. And that - based upon your current lifespan - you would not live long.

I am so sorry. I have agonized over this decision for weeks, but as Princess, you taught me a ruler must be courageous and decisive. I no longer have any real choice - it is us, or Equestria.

I hope the hereafter is kind to you, Princess. You and your sister possess a kindness of heart and spirit I have not known elsewhere in all my years. If there is any who truly deserves eternal peace, it is you.

From the Princess of Equestria, and your ever faithful student,

Princess Twilight Sparkle