• Published 25th Jan 2022
  • 1,622 Views, 30 Comments

Phoenix Magic: Rainbow Rocks - Magic Kitsune Brony



It's time to rock. But a musical trio is coming to CHS. Can the Rainbooms defeat this new evil?

  • ...
3
 30
 1,622

Chapter 2

The was a beautiful day in Canterlot City, and over at Canterlot High, students were getting ready for the Musical Showcase. Many of the participants were currently in the auditorium making their band posters. Sunset was walking around, helping the Junior High students, finishing up where the Creative Mind Club, or CMC for short, sat.

“Hey, girls,” she smiled at her friends’ sisters. “Need any help?”

“No, thanks, Sunset,” Apple Bloom smiled back. “We’re good.”

“Ok,” Sunset started walking towards her friends. “If you do need any help, you know where to find me.”

“Will do Phoenix,” Scootaloo called after her.

Sunset rolled her eyes and shook her head at the nickname that a lot of the other students had been calling her. When her dad called her Phoenix, it was endearing. When her fellow students called her that, well, it was starting to get a little annoying.

“Sunset!” Pinkie called to her, waving at her. “Over here!”

When she reached her friends, Pinkie and Rarity held up the finished poster. “What do you think, darling?” Rarity asked dramatically. “Quite the eye-catching advertisement, if I do say so myself.”

“And it smells like cake!” Pinkie added.

“It does?” Fluttershy asked leaning over to sniff the poster, only for Pinkie to push it into her face.

“I used frosting instead of paste!” Pinkie removed the poster to reveal a bit of the frost on Fluttershy’s nose.

“Uh, Fluttershy,” Applejack pointed at her own nose. “You’ve got a little somethin’, uh…”

Fluttershy wiped her cheek instead. “Did I get it?”

“Heh, not exactly,” Applejack chuckled, while Sunset pulled out her handkerchief and gently wiped Fluttershy’s face.

“Good afternoon, students,” Celestia announced as she walked through the doors and to the middle of the room. “I just wanted to tell you how pleased I am that so many of you are going to participate in the first ever Canterlot High School Musical Showcase!” All the students cheered in excitement

“This is a wonderful opportunity to raise money for all our after-school programs here at CHS,” Luna continued for her sister. “So, keep working on those signs and posters. I think it’s going to be one of the most exciting events we’ve had at CHS since the Fall Formal.” Sunset blushed when she noticed a lot of adoring eyes looking her way.


“I’m never going to live that down,” Sunset complained, referring to the formal, as the Rainbooms set up for some music.

“Well, it is hard to live down turning into a phoenix human alicorn princess like you did,” Fluttershy pointed out, as she picked up her tambourine.

“And a beautiful one at that,” Rarity gashed, remembering the gorgeous wings that went so well with the dress she made for Sunset

“And to be honest,” Applejack said, tuning her guitar. “I’d say the whole experience brought everyone at CHS closer than ever before!”

“And made CHS a 100 per cent more cooler,” Rainbow pumped her fist.

“And soon, we’ll be having another super-doper fun musical party,” Pinkie bounced in her seat behind her drums. “Now let’s practice!” She tapped her drumsticks together. “One, two, three!”

The Rainbooms:

We’ve just got the day to get ready

And there’s only so much time to lose

Because tonight, yeah, we’re here to party

So let’s think of something fun to do

We don’t (we don’t know) what’s gonna happen

We just know (we just know) it’s gonna feel right

All our friends are here

And it’s time to ignite the lights!

Shake your tail ‘cause we’re here to have a party tonight

Shake your tail, shake your tail

Shake your tail ‘cause we’re here to have a party tonight

Shake your tail, shake your tail”

As they sang, they all felt themselves pony-up. The girls standing started to sway along with the music, as they played their instruments

Sunset:

So what you didn’t get it right the first time

Pinkie:

Laugh it off, no one said it is a crime

Rarity:

Do your thing, you know you’re an original

Applejack:

Your ideas are so funny that they’re criminal

Rainbooms:

Ohhh-ahh!

We’ve just got the day to get ready

And there’s only so much time to lose

Because tonight, yeah, we’re here to party

So let’s think of something fun to do

We don’t (we don’t know) what’s gonna happen

We just know (we just know) it’s gonna feel right

All our friends are here

And it’s time to ignite the lights!

Shake your tail ‘cause we’re here to have a party tonight

Shake your tail, shake your tail

Shake your tail ‘cause we’re here to have a party tonight

Shake your tail, shake your tail

Shake your tail ‘cause we’re here to have a party tonight

Shake your tail, shake your tail

Shake your tail ‘cause we’re here to have a party tonight

Shake your tail, shake your tail

Shake your tail ‘cause we’re here to have a party tonight!”

After they finished playing, their pony features faded away. They smiled and applauded each other for a good song, patting each other’s back.

“I still can’t believe that happens when we play!” Rarity laughed and then she started thinking. “Ooh! I’ve got to look into some new accessories! Something that looks good in a longer ponytail. Ooh! Maybe some clip-on earrings for when I get those adorable pony ears”

“I just wonder why it happens,” Applejack said placing her guitar down. “Princess Twilight took her crown back to Equestria. Shouldn’t that mean she took all the Equestrian magic back with her?”

“Who cares. I’m just glad we found a way to control it,” Rainbow said, much to the shock of her friends. She shrugged at them. “What? I may like winning as much as the next person, but people will think we’re cheating with these pony-ups, and I don’t won’t to win with people thinking that”

“Fair enough,” Sunset shrugged, tuning her guitar

They turned to the doors when they heard a knock, and it open to reveal Flash. “Uh, heard you outside. You guys are sounding really tight”

“Thanks, Flash,” Rainbow smiled at him. “Still need a little work, but we’ll be ready for the showcase”

“Uh,” Flash blushed nervously. “I don’t suppose any of our friends from, uh… out of town might come? Uh, it being a special charity event and all”

“Sorry, Flash,” Applejack said, seeing where he was going with this. “I don’t think Twilight’s gonna be back at Canterlot High any time soon”

“Oh, yeah,” Flash laughed nervously. “Okay. I just, you know, thought I’d ask. uh, k-keep on rockin’ it.” He left quickly

“Well,” Rarity giggled with the others. “Someone is quite the smitten kitten.”

Just as they were about to start another song, they heard Luna’s voice over the PA. “Sunset King, please report to the main foyer”

“Oh shoot, I totally forgot,” Sunset placed her guitar on its stand and turned apologetically to her friends. “Sorry, girls. I forgot that I volunteered to show some new students around the school today”

“That’s okay, Sunny,” Pinkie said, balance one of her cymbals on her head. “We’ll see you at lunch.” The others nodded in agreement

“Okay, see you then,” Sunset waved at them before walking out the door. She walked to the front foyer and spotted three teenage girls standing near the front doors. “Hi, I’m Sunset King,” She waved to them. “Are you the girls I’m supposed to show around?”

“We are,” the girl with a lot of curls smirked and gestured to the other two. “I’m Adagio Dazzle. These are Aria Blaze and Sonata Dusk”

“Hi!” Sonata smiled widely at her, reminding her of Pinkie.

“Canterlot High is a great school,” Sunset said as she led them around. “You’re really gonna love it”

“Oh, yes,” Adagio commented, exchanging a smirk with her companions. “We really sense there’s something… magical about this place”

Sunset started showing them around, not mentioning the magic classes. For some reason, she felt like she shouldn’t mention them to these girls. She shrugged to herself; she’ll figure it out later

“That’s the science lab. Computer lab is in there,” she pointed out said classrooms. She spotted one of the posters and showed it to the girls. “Oh! We’re having a big musical showcase this weekend! The whole school is pretty much rallying around it”

“A musical showcase?” Adagio exchange a look with her sisters

“I’m sure since you’re new, Principal Celestia would let you sign up if you’re interested,” Sunset smiled at them

“We have been known to sing from time to time,” Aria looked at her hand

“Hello? We sing, like, all the time!” Sonata said, oblivious to the looks Adagio and Aria were sending her. “It’s how we get people to do what we want.” She saw Adagio and Aria silently growling at her, while Sunset looked confused. “Wha-what did I say?”

“What you meant to say was that being in a musical showcase sounds like a great way to meet other students,” Adagio covered her slip

“Ohhhh, yeah,” Sonata nodded. “Th-what she said I meant to say. That’s what I meant. To say”

“And what you would have said if you weren’t the worst,” Aria scoffed at her

You are!” Sonata argued

“You’ll have to excuse them,” Adagio interrupted their fight and glared at them. “They’re idiots”

They all fell into an awkward silence. Sunset spotted the red gems on the girls’ chokers. She pointed at them. “Those are pretty. Where did you-”

Adagio grabbed her wrist tight. Once she realised what she was doing, she let go. “Sorry,” she laughed nervously as Sunset rubbed her wrist. “These pendants mean an awful lot to us. We’d just hate for anything to happen to them”

“Fair enough,” Sunset smiled at them, placing her hand where one of her bracelets sat under her jacket. “I feel the same way about my charm bracelets.” Sunset looked to see the time. “Anyway, that’s about all I can show you. If you need to know anything else, you know where Principal Celestia’s office is”

“Of course,” Adagio nodded before leading her sisters away, Sunset looking on after them, rubbing her chin in suspicion.

Author's Note:

I decided on 'Shake Your Tail' instead of 'Better Than Ever' because in my AU there was no fighting, so the song doesn't really go with it. I might use it in the future, we shall see