• Published 12th Jan 2022
  • 555 Views, 12 Comments

Time to Shine - Easysnuggler



Why did magic go away, what does it mean now that it is back? And where is everypony?

  • ...
3
 12
 555

PreviousChapters Next
32. Opening Moves

“Friendship isn’t always easy but there’s no doubt it’s worth fighting for.”

—C. Star, S. Lunamoon “Commentaries on the Friendship Reports of T. Sparkle Vol. 4”

32. Opening Moves

“King Iron Hoof” The zebra ambassador had deep circles under his eyes.

“Ambassador Tendai.”

“Your majesty, I want to assure you that the Zebrican nation and Zebrabwe were in no way involved in the sabotage of your vessel. Zebrenica wishes to assist you in your investigation and apologizes for any zebra citizens' involvement and assures you it was not done at our direction.”

“Mr. Ambassador…” the king tried to interrupt, but the diplomat continued as if he’d said nothing.

“We understand Dr. Sakai Nyarai succumbed to injuries he received at sea. We request his body be cremated and sent back to his family immediately.” The zebra ended his speech in a rush, and only then looked at the King.

“Mr. Ambassador, I assure you that’s not necessary. Dr. Nyarai is no longer in the hands of our military. If we were to return him to you would that be to your satisfaction?”

“Your majesty is very kind. Far kinder than my own government. I assure you his family would receive his remains regardless of if he died here from his injuries or after his return to Zebrabwe for medical treatment at a… military hospital.” The ambassador swallowed.

“I… see. Well, I regret to inform you that while there was indeed an accident… and it did appear your citizen may have in some way contributed to the disaster. His involvement was but one of several unfortunate elements to this tragedy. Did the Doctor have a wife or children?” he inquired.

The ambassador sighed. “He was unmarried and devoted to his work as an alchemist. He does have an elderly mother and father in the capital.”

“Well, sadly he has succumbed to his injuries. Please allow me to express my nation's condolences for the tragic loss of their son. We have many such letters to write. I will have the remains shipped to their home at once. Please give Mish Mash the address. If there is nothing else?”

“There is one other item. We regret to inform you that our borders will be closed to all non-commercial travel until further notice. In the interest of reducing tensions.”

“I… see. I will inform the relevant parties.”

Mish Mash saw the ambassador out. The king sat down with a wooden expression.

“Shall I have him cremated?” asked Mish Mash.

“Certainly not. Tell the navy he died from his injuries he sustained… onboard the vessel. Tell the Zebras the same. Ship his parents some ashes in an urn with white roses and blue flowers, I think. That’s for wonderful wishes I believe... Is he healthy enough to move?”

“I believe so.”

“Well, I want to speak to him. Is he receiving medical care? Good. Transfer him to the palace dungeon. Somewhere nice. 39A I think. I believe that one has a door that opens onto an alleyway if he feels the need to escape our custody. Tell him the truth, that his own government wants him dead because he is inconvenient, and we are willing to give him sanctuary and something useful to do so he can pay us back for the bother of keeping him alive. Oh, and tell him he can write to his parents too if they can keep a secret. No need to compound these tragedies. See they get his letter before the urn, flowers or his own government, and ideally before the news.” The king found his appetite had now returned.

“Will you play games again tonight your majesty?”

“I’m pretty sure someone is already playing. I just want to know why, who and how to stop them or at least counter their moves. I have some additional inquiries to make.” The coffee had grown even more cold and bitter. He drank it anyway.

PreviousChapters Next