• Published 21st Dec 2021
  • 1,149 Views, 25 Comments

The Love of a Family - Asterid



Rainbow Dash finds out something about her surrogate sister and wants to help her in any way she can. Because that's what family does isn't it?

  • ...
2
 25
 1,149

A Special Night

Chapter 18 – A Special Night


Cheese Sandwich watched as Rainbow Dash soared away, her rainbow contrail hanging briefly in the air. For all his bluster and confidence in being one of Equestria’s premiere party ponies, he knew that with the exception of a few friends he was alone in the world. That all changed when he moved full time to Ponyville. Everyone was so friendly here. Everyone said hi to him as he walked down the street.

The welcoming nature of the town made the wandering party planner decide to put down roots. At first, he had rented a small apartment off of Mane Street while he got accustomed to living in one place for more than a few days. That was when he was approached by the pretty pink pony that had stolen his heart with the proposition of a merger. It took all of two seconds for Cheese to decide. And thus was born Cheese Pie Party Planning. The first year had been a little rough. But following the defeat of Tirek (and the ensuing celebration Pinkie and Cheese and planned), requests started coming in from all over.

As their business partnership grew, so did their personal relationship. Once it was time to renew the lease on his apartment, Pinkie had invited him to move in with her. With their combined reality warping Earth pony magic, the small one room apartment over top of Sugar Cube Corner was never cramped and served as a handy home office.

Learning that Rainbow Dash considered him a friend made Cheese decide to pull out all the stops. Carefully walking over to the bed he shared with Pinkie, the orange stallion nuzzled his pink mare, trying to gently wake her.

“Mmmmm, morning Cheesy,” she said, nuzzling him back, “Sleep well?”

“Cuddled up next to you, who wouldn’t,” He replied, “You just missed Rainbow Dash, she had a request for us.”

“Oooooo Dashie was here,” Pinkie said, crawling out of bed, “I’m sorry I missed her. What was she asking for?”

“She wants us to throw a party tonight,” He replied, pulling an espresso cupcake from his mane and handing it to the cotton candy colored mare, “A small one, just you girls, the CMC and maybe the princesses. She invited me along as well which is kind of a first for me.”

“Silly Cheesy, of course she invited you,” Pinkie said, inhaling her ‘power up cupcake’, instantly feeling the rush of caffeine enter her system, “What’s the occasion though? We just got done with the adoption party a couple of weeks ago and its too early for the wedding.”

“She finished Princess Luna’s test and is planning on officially proposing to Princess Twilight tonight,” Cheese explained, “She said she wants it to be a huge night for a small group.”

“I can’t wait to see Twilight’s face,” Pinkie squeed.

“Didn’t she already propose when you guys decided to become her royal court?” Cheese asked.

“Conditionally following the completion of her test,” Pinkie answered, “But that is not the point. I am going to need Engagement Party Plan Green Tango Felix 0. While I get to work making a triple layered strawberry chiffon cake with blueberry macaroons, I want you to go to Rarity’s and tell her to have designs Ruby Oscar Tango Lima and Lilac Mike Alpha 0 ready for tonight and delivered to the palace. Once the cake is done I’m going to have AJ pick the most romantic part of her orchard that she can find. So much to do, so little time…”

Carefully, Cheese backed out of the door as Pinkie reached into her mane and pulled out a large green and white can that read ‘Green Unicorn’ on it. As she popped the top on the fizzy drink and chugged it down, an almost manic look came into her eyes as she began zipping around their apartment faster then Rainbow Dash could fly.

She’s taking this serious, Cheese thought as he ran out of the bakery towards Carousel Boutique, just wait till I tell her she can’t plan our engagement party. Or our wedding. I’m doomed.

*******

The sun was nearing the end of its journey overhead by the time Dash arrived back at the Palace of Friendship. She half expected to see Scootaloo running about the yard, jumping off of every high point she could climb, practicing her burgeoning flight skills. Walking in the front doors, Dash spotted Spike talking with Cheese Sandwich who was dropping off a couple of packages. He called a quick “Hi-Bye” before rushing out the open doors.

“What was that about?” Dash asked the young Drake.

“Just dropping off some gifts from Rarity.” Spike said coolly, “For the party. That’s tonight.”

“Something wrong Spike?” Dash wondered.

“Nothings wrong,” Spike huffed, “It’s just that you know mom isn’t big on surprises, right? A little warning would have been nice.”

“Yeah, sorry bout that,” She replied, rubbing the back of her head with her hoof, “I totally would have if Celestia hadn’t run off to the nearest toy store so she could ‘spoil her grandfoals’.”

“Wait, time out,” Spike said, making a T with his claws, “Celestia has grandfoals? Since when?”

“Well let’s see,” Dash joked, “Your about 14 summers old now right? So 14 years.”

“I…wha…who…” Spike stuttered.

“The look on your face,” Dash giggled as she laid a wing over the confused Drake, “Spike, you’ve been adopted by Twilight and me for like two weeks now dude. And since Celestia thinks of Twi as the daughter she never had, boom, instant grandma.”

Retrieving the dress boxes from her shell-shocked son, Dash trotted through the castle until she reached the room she had been sharing with Twilight. Peaking inside she saw the beautiful Lilac mare of her dreams laying on their bed, her nose buried in a thick book of Equestrian Law. Setting the boxes on the chest at the foot of the bed, Dash climbed up next to Twilight and laid her wing gently over the studious mare.

“Welcome back, Dashie,” Twilight said, turning a page with her magic, as she nuzzled her marefriend, “Everything set with Princess Luna?”

“Oh Yeah, Aunt Luna is all squared away.” Dash said, loving the exasperated look on Twilight’s face, “That’s almost the same look Spikey had when I told him Celestia considers the kiddos as her grandfoals.”

“Oh Faust, she’s going to try and spoil them rotten isn’t she,” Twilight asked, massaging her temples with her wingtips.

“Oh yeah, big time,” Dahs laughed, “But enough about that, time to get your party dress on.”

“Where are we going?” Twilight asked, “You didn’t tell me you had anything planned.”

“It’s a surprise…” Dash replied, making circles in the air with her forehooves and wings, “While you get cleaned up, I’m gonna check up on Scoots. Any Idea where she is?”

“She’s not outside practicing?!” Twilight shouted. “Oh no.”

“She wouldn’t.” Dash growled.

“She’s our daughter.” Twilight said flatly, “Yes, she would.”

Leaping off the bed, both mares began rushing through the castle, searching all over for their impulsive young filly. Dash ended up being the one to find her in an out of the way room that was currently empty. Scootaloo was sitting on the floor, sweat pouring down her small body as she trembled, exerting her magic to its fullest. Knowing the dangers of interrupted magic thanks to many late night talks with Twilight, Dash waited and fumed, her wings puffed up and flared. As soon as the filly set the nearly completed rainbow gemstone on the ground, she rolled over onto her back, panting and wheezing for overworking herself.

Scooping the filly into her forelegs, Dash soared through the castle back to her room before placing the exhausted teenager on the bed. Rushing into the adjoining bathroom, she emerged with a glass of water and helped the struggling child drink it down.

“Scootaloo Sparkle-Dash!” She shouted, once she was sure the filly wasn’t going to keel over, “What The Celestia Were You Thinking! We covered safety procedure 20 berjillion times. Never do magic without supervision. Never push yourself to the brink.”

“I know…” Scootaloo panted, “But this is important.”

“So important your gonna ignore everything Dashie and I taught you?” Twilight asked as she rushed into the room, “You could have hurt yourself or even worse.”

“Yes it is,” Scootaloo almost shouted, “I have seven days before I need to turn that gemstone in and that is way to long to wait to see my Sweetie Belle again. Was it a risk, yes. Was it dangerous, oh you betcha. Was it worth it, you bet your flank. I have one color left. One. They I can present it to Rarity and I can see Sweetie Belle again.”

“Wow, you got it bad don’t cha kiddo,” Dash said, nuzzling Scootaloo, “Guess I wasn’t much better trying to rush things so I could give the pearl to Aunt Luna. How do you feel.”

“I’m sore, but in a good way.” She replied, “You’re not gonna ground me, are you?”

“Not tonight, but the last of your liquid sunlight is on lockdown until the weekend.” Twilight said, “I understand why you were in a hurry. If we see Rarity tonight-“

“Oh we will.” Dash interjected.

“As I was saying,” Twilight said, glaring at the cyan mare, “When we see Rarity tonight, we’ll talk to her about why she won’t let you and Sweetie Belle spend time together.”

“She’ll see Sweetie Belle tonight,” Dash said with a grin, “At the surprise.”

“Go get your brother and then get ready ok Scootaloo,” Twilight huffed, giving the filly a nuzzle, “Your mom and I need to talk about surprises.”

“Sure thing Mama Twilight,” Scootaloo said before climbing off the bed and racing down the hall.

********

Applejack took in the sites around her. The clearing was ringed by some of the oldest trees on the farm. Paper lanterns hung from every bough with a large table set right in the middle with mountains of food laid upon it. Off to the side on a small stage was Octavia Melody who was quietly tuning up her Cello. Beside her was a more sedate Vinyl Scratch, an acoustic guitar held in the field of her magic.

The girls were all there along with two thirds of the CMC, Big Mac and Granny Smith, each dressed in clothes designed by Rarity to accentuate their colorings. Princesses Celestia and Luna had even teleported into the clearing a short time ago. All that was missing were the guests of honor. Slowly, a small mouse scampered over to Fluttershy and began squeaking at her.

“Oh really…thanks you Cheasers,” She whispered to the mouse before addressing the rest, “Cheasers says that they are coming now.”

“Well, you heard ‘im,” Applejack said, gesturing to Vinyl and Octavia, “Hit it ladies.”

Slowly, the two musicians began playing a soft, elegant song filling the clearing with its soft tones as Twilight, Rainbow, Spike and Scootaloo walked in. They were all in awe at the romantic setting in front of them.

“Girls, what is all this?” Twilight asked.

“This is to celebrate me being able to officially ask for your hoof in marriage, Sparkles,” Rainbow Dash said proudly, pulling a small black box from under her wing and kneeling, “I’ve aced my test with flying colors. So now, before our friends and family I ask you, Princess Twilight Sparkle, will you accept this ring and my heart, becoming my wife from now till the end of forever?”

Wiping a tear from her eye with the back of her hoof, Twilight looked into the eyes of her marefriend and saw deep magenta wells overflowing with love and affection. Reaching out with her wing, Twilight opened the jewelry box and gazed at the elegant horn ring Dash had bought. The thin band was a spiderweb of rose gold with a pair of gemstones at its center, one a large amethyst the other a like colored sapphire. Lifting the ring gently in the field of her magic, Twilight slid it down to the base of her horn.

“Yes, Dashie,” Twilight said, trying to hold back the flood of tears threatening to poor from her eyes, “A thousand times yes.”

“Congratulations, My Little Ponies,” Celestia said, “I am so happy I am able to help share this wonderful evening with you.”

“I as well,” Luna said, “This truly is a special evening.”

“Come on everybody,” Pinkie Pie shouted, perched on top of her Pinkie Cheese Party Tank, “Lets get this party started!”

Blasting out a tidal wave of confetti, everyone began mingling and munching on the mountain of party foods and dancing to the wonderful music supplied by Octavia and Vinyl. Spike lavished attention on his marefriend, spending a good deal of time dancing with the young farm filly. Seeing the sad looks on both Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo’s faces, Rainbow Dash quickly made her way over to Rarity who sat chatting with Princess Luna. Seeing her niece-in-law walking over like a mare on a mission, Luna politely excused herself. Seeing her chance, Dash gently tapped Rarity’s shoulder with her wingtip.

“Oh, darling, this is so wonderful tonight,” Rarity said, sipping from a glass of hard apple cider.

“Yeah, its great,” Dash said, trying not to glare at her fashionista friend, “Listen, I need to talk to you about something.”

“What’s wrong?” Rarity asked, her eyes going wide, “You don’t like the dresses. No, you and Twilight both showed up in them. You don’t like the latest design for your wedding dresses?”

“It’s not clothes related,” Rainbow said, almost growling, “It’s about the kids.”

“Oh darling, whatever could be wrong with the children,” Rarity asked, “Spike seems to be doing well with young Applebloom and from what I hear, you’ve been able to help Scootaloo truly come into her own as a Pegasus.”

“Rarity, I need you to stop guessing and just listen please,” Dash said, “I need to know why you are dead set on my daughter spending time with your sister. Scootaloo almost killed herself today trying to power through making this Celestia forsaken diamond for you.”

Her eyes going wide, Rarity chugged down the glass of cider she already had before chugging down another, giving herself some liquid courage.

“I am not against your daughter spending time with my dau…darling sister,” Rarity said, stumbling over her words, “I gave her the test so she could prove herself didn’t I?”

“Then why aren’t they allowed to spend time together,” Dash exclaimed, “I mean, for real, they are at a party and our not letting them be closer than 10 feet from each other.”

“The reason I’m putting some distance between them isn’t because of Scootaloo,” Rarity said, the alcohol starting to affect her, “That little orange bundle of energy is a good influence on my little Sweetie. But, Sweetie shares her mother’s predilection for physical affection and I don’t want her making my mistakes.”

Dash blinked a few times, trying to piece together what Rarity was saying. Like a rock dropped from Ghastly Gorge, realization crashed down on the cyan mare.

“Sweetie’s your daughter?!” Dash hissed in a low whisper.

“Yes,” Rarity answered, “And before you ask, yes she does know. Her…father…has never been involved in her life so it has always just been the two of us. Now that I am an established designer, as well as being a member of Twilight’s court, I don’t feel it is necessary to hide it anymore.”

“When are you going to tell everyone?” Dash asked.

“If it is alright with you,” Rarity asked, “I would like to do it when young Scootaloo presents me with the diamond I have no doubt she will be finishing soon.”

“She’ll have it done this weekend Rares,” Dash huffed, “Let the kids spend sometime together. I think it’s safe to say those two are gonna be together a good long time.”

“Oh, on that we can definitely agree,” Rarity giggled, “Excuse me for a moment Dashie, I need to go tell Sweetie she can spend time with her marefriend.”

As the clearly inebriated mare made her way over to her daughter, Rainbow couldn’t believe how she never saw it before. They were practically cookie cutter copies of each other. As Rarity leaned down and nuzzled the young filly, she saw a wide smile spread across Sweetie Belle’s face before she took off like a rocket, glomping onto Scootaloo, sending the two of them into an adorable little pile with Sweetie Belle cuddled into Scootaloo’s chest.

Those two are so cute together, Dash thought, making her way over to where Twilight sat, carrying a pair of glasses of cider with her wings, can’t wait to see the look on Sparkle’s face when she finds out though.