• Published 13th Dec 2021
  • 1,024 Views, 11 Comments

A Very Warm Hearth's Warming - Briarberrybones



Fluttershy invites Discord to spend a cozy Hearth's Warming Eve with her.

  • ...
2
 11
 1,024

Only The Best For You

Fluttershy hummed a carol to herself as she strung up the last piece of garland over her mantleplace. The cottage smelled delightfully strong of pine and juniper and was enough to easily put anypony in a cozy mood.

She paused to look proudly upon her efforts. Her tree was modestly decorated with hoofmade woodland ornaments of twigs and cotton, the main area was abundantly equipped with comfy throw blankets and pillows, and in her kitchen, she’d prepared a variety of festive baked goods to enjoy with her anticipated guest. Everything was perfect.

Fluttershy was beyond excited to spend Hearth’s Warming with Discord. She felt it an honor to show him once again why the holiday was so special to so many ponies and, to be honest, was really missing the company. Just like clockwork, as soon as the weather began to shift just a few months prior, she began seeing less and less of her woodland friends that called her property home. She knew very well that it was just nature’s calling for most of them to seek out more food reserves and cozy resting places in the forest to hibernate. A few resident birds stayed close to her side during the cold months, but things were undeniably quieter around the cottage and it made her just a little lonely.

Having Discord stay with her for a short while would certainly be a much needed change of pace and his presence was always welcome to her. With that thought, she retrieved a very chaotically wrapped gift box from her upstairs closet and placed it carefully beneath her tree. “Oh, I hope he likes it,” she thought hopefully to herself.

She blushed as she remembered Discord’s, and Rainbow Dash’s, gift to her last year. The winterzilla was such a strangely delightful surprise and was very on brand for her funny friend. It amazed her that Discord had gone through such odd hurdles and planning to give her something that wasn’t material, but rather the opportunity to be the Hearth’s Warming Day hero. She loved that about him. She often struggled to find the words to tell him exactly what she was feeling, but she appreciated it to no end that he always made the effort to make her feel special. It humbled her greatly that the Lord of Chaos himself was close to her and often literally and figuratively bent himself over backwards just to make her smile.

With blush still painted across her cheeks, she flew to her nearest window to look out across the snowy landscape. It was only late afternoon, but as with every winter, Celestia had to set her sun earlier and earlier. The last slivers of light passed through the trunks and branches of the Everfree Forest and cast long marching shadows across the white hills. “He should be here soon,” she sighed.

Not a moment later, a gentle knock came rapping from her front door. Fluttershy sprang to the air and fluttered excitedly to open it. “Discord! Happy Hearth’s Warrrrrrm… oh, my goodness…”

Her eyes trailed up to see Discord in her entryway looking quite dapper. He sported a tall, red banded top hat, complete with matching scarf, and a long, black winter overcoat. It suited him nicely and made him … handsome, to say the least.

Fluttershy tried to discreetly hide her blush behind her mane. “You’re very…dressed up.”

Discord was far too excited to notice her flustered reaction and quickly responded, “Well of course, my dear! This is a special occasion is it not? That, and I thought it’d be appropriate to wear for your Hearth’s Warming Day gift!”

“Oh, m-my gift?” Fluttershy stammered.

“I know I was supposed to wait until the morning to give you my gift, dear, but I just couldn't pass up such a perfect night for it! Of course, you’ll also need a new wardrobe as well. It’ll be a bit chilly up there.”

Discord snapped his claws and in a cascade of shimmering light, Fluttershy found herself now adorning a thick, emerald green cloak with a matching faux cossack hat. She lifted her hoof to admire the gold leaf designs in the cloak’s hem. “Discord, thank you! This is so lovely, but um… where are we going?”

Discord was a little lost in thought as he admired his handy work that complimented her perfectly as he knew it would. She always looked so radiant in green. Shaking from his little fantasy he answered, “Oh, someplace very, very special, my dear.”

Stepping aside from her entry way, he revealed a glossy, cranberry red sleigh behind him.

Fluttershy brought a hoof to her mouth in shock. It was easily the most gorgeous piece of woodwork and craftsponyship she’d ever seen. She slowly trotted past Discord to get a closer look at it and was surprised to see a gold leafy design, similar to her cloak, painted delicately on its rims. She smiled, realizing that prancing rabbits, deer, and stags also had been added to the swirling fleurs and for a moment, she’d sworn they were moving.

Discord appeared behind her. “Would you like a claw in, dear?” Fluttershy whipped around to face him in surprise, but her face softened upon seeing his open talon extended to her. With a gracious smile, she gave him her hoof, but couldn’t hide the warmth in her cheeks as she felt him begin to lift her up into the sleigh’s plush seats.

Discord climbed in beside her. “Comfy?” he asked. Fluttershy bashfully nodded. “Then let’s be off!”

With another snap of his talons. The Sleigh began to rise gently off the ground. Fluttershy gripped her cloak in anticipation as she awed at the height they were beginning to reach. Knowing Discord, this was about to get crazy rather quickly and she was right.

Pulled by no ponies that Fluttershy could see at least, the sleigh revved forward. With an “Eep” she huddled into Discord’s arm. He only chuckled. “There’s nothing to be frightened of, dear. See for yourself!”

Fluttershy gingerly peeked out from the safety of Discord's arm and gasped.

Their self driving, self flying, sleigh was soaring steadily high over the Everfree Forest, leaving a wake of shining stardust as they went. All the while, Luna's moon hung above them, casting all below in a silvery glow.

"Before we arrive at the destination of your Hearth’s Warming Day gift, you may also want this.” In another snap, Discord conjured a heavy, warm quilt and tucked it over both of their laps.

"Oh! Very cozy. Thank you, Discord. But um, if this isn't my gift," Fluttershy gestured to the sleigh, "Then what is?"

Discord gave her a warm smirk. "You'll soon see!"

Fluttershy squinted as a flash of light engulfed their enchanted snow chariot and hesitantly opened them again as it began to fade. Before her, she saw Luna's moon still full and bright, but she quickly realized they were no longer above the Everfree Forest. It was certainly colder for sure and she instinctively huddled deeper into Discord’s arm for warmth without a second thought. Discord fought desperately to calm the sudden heat rushing to his own cheeks.

"Ahem," he awkwardly coughed into his paw. "Dear, you might want to see this."

Fluttershy loosened her grip just enough to look out to where they were heading, but found herself too awestruck to find her words.

They were now flying over a frozen sea towards a mountainous snowy icecap. Discord must have transported them to the Northern unknown, far, far past Mount Everhoof.

Fluttershy carefully peeked over the edge of their sleigh to see a massive pod or narwhal swimming just below the icy water, their great, spiraled tusks surfacing like battle lances before dipping back into the inky abyss.

Fluttershy smiled in pure delight as she watched them majestically break through the sea slush, but her attention was broken by an odd green reflection in the water. She quickly looked up with another deep gasp.

Above them, the Aurora Borealis shimmered in all its splendor, snaking through the sky, weaving itself with the stars. Fluttershy could feel tears welling up in her eyes.

"Discord, I don't know what to say. It's so-"

"Beautiful? I know," he finished for her.

He could've stayed in that moment forever...Fluttershy, his first and dearest friend, wrapped in both pure elation and the heavenly green lights that danced wildly in the reflections of her eyes… It was perfect. She was perfect.

He didn't quite understand these feelings that had come upon him so suddenly, but he knew for certain that her happiness needed to be protected at all costs. He would fight a thousand foes to Tartarus and back if it meant he could see her this happy forever. She deserved that and he would gladly give it to her.

The more troubling thing that came with these feelings was his sudden need to be near her always; to touch her if she allowed it. At times, this need felt painful and more like an ache, but he subdued it.

"Surely she wouldn't want me to hold her in such a way like that," he had told himself long ago. "I could never do a thing that could betray her trust in me ever again."

On this night however, at this moment, those words felt like barbed chains around his neck. He didn't know how or why, but he needed so badly to pull her in close to him, to maybe… hold her warm face in his palm and tell her everything that she meant to him and how much he would do for her and that he'd never hurt her again and how perfect she was and how-

His inner ramblings were halted when he suddenly felt something small and warm wrapping around his middle as well as something nuzzling into his chest. He dared to look down and simultaneously forgot how to breathe.

"Thank you so much, Discord. This is the most thoughtful thing anypony has ever given me," Fluttershy mumbled into his chest.

Discord felt his cheeks could burn right off and fall sizzling into the frigid water below them. He and Fluttershy had shared hugs before, but this felt… different. With all the courage he could muster, he gently wrapped his eagle arm around her and pulled her in close. "Only, but the best for you my dear," he finally managed to say.

Fluttershy smiled warmly as she felt him press her further into his side. She was also thankful that their position made it easy to hide the rosyness in her cheeks that wasn't just from the frosty air. She was beyond grateful for what Discord had given her, but the thought that tugged at the back of her mind was how undeniably romantic it all was.

She doubted that Discord knew that what he had done for her could be perceived that way, but a part of her, a part she promised herself to never show, admitted that she quite liked it.

She felt like she could just melt into him, completely protected, completely… admired. She tried hard not to use the word "love" when it came to Discord, for she feared if she did, it could only end in high hopes and then heartbreak, but despite it all… she reasoned she could still have this. She could be with him here at the edge of the world, tucked beneath his arm, and not a single care in the whole of Equestria. If she could still have that, then maybe it'd be enough.

"Fluttershy?" Discord gently asked.

"Mhm?" She answered, savoring the vibrations of his voice in his chest.

"I realize now that although my gift was more appropriate to give you this evening, rather than in the morning, I likely interrupted plans that you may have already had for us."

Fluttershy nuzzled just a little further into him, a slight lightheadedness canceling out some of her usual reservations. "I did, but they can wait. Maybe just a few minutes longer?"

Discord smiled down at her. "As you wish."

He looked out to the full moon that traveled along with them with a now worried brow. "Luna's gunna give me a hard time about this," he thought.