• Published 7th Nov 2021
  • 342 Views, 14 Comments

The Mulberry Mare Disappears in the End - Yuu



Ponies are going missing, and the ones that remain are acting strangely. Could it be that some old enemies of ponykind have returned, with unfinished business?

  • ...
2
 14
 342

Still I Rise

“Nothing I can do will stop this,” the mulberry mare said.

“I see,” the pink mare said. “Looks like there are only four of us left. Well, the gamboge one may say that there are only three.”

She slowly stood and moved closer to the mulberry mare. She hugged the mulberry mare with her forelegs and sat down, leaning against her. The mulberry mare sighed and returned the hug.

“Well, what should we do next?” the gamboge mare asked.

“Now that you mention it, I suddenly remembered that I need to feed my animals,” the yellow mare said, standing up.

“I don’t see any animals with you,” the mulberry mare said.

“I do have animals. Here is my pet rabbit.” The yellow mare bent under the table, producing a small, white rock.

She put the rock on the table. “See? He’s already hungry. So are the others.”

She added two more rocks and began moving them on the table one after another.

“What a nice bird you have,” the gamboge mare said, looking at the rock.

“I can’t let you go. We need to solve our problem first,” the mulberry mare said.

“But he’ll die! All my animals will die!”

“They’re just rocks,” the mulberry mare said. “And I didn’t see any animals around your cot—”

“If you don’t let me go, I will find my own way out.” The yellow mare took the rocks with one forehoof and trotted on three legs to a large window.

The mulberry mare followed her with her gaze. “I don’t know what you’re—”

The yellow mare jumped into the window and collided with the glass. The glass did not move, and the mare fell to the floor with her rocks around her, caressing her head with her forehooves.

The pink mare jumped to her. “Are you all right?”

“Oh... Oh.” The yellow mare slowly stood up and turned to the mulberry mare. “You cannot stand between me and my animals.”

At the same time she jumped at the window again, ignoring the rocks she left, and the mulberry mare jumped to catch her. The yellow mare passed straight through the window as if it wasn’t even there. Only the rocks were left on the floor.

The mulberry mare sat on her haunches near the window. She touched the glass with her forehoof, finding it completely solid, then stood up and ran to the door. She exited the library and looked around. Soon she returned.

“I don’t know how she did it, but she just disappeared. I know she can’t fly that fast. Even if someone was helping her, I don’t understand how it happened.”

She walked to the table and sat on her pillow. The pink mare also sat near her again.

“I get the feeling that I’ve missed something important,” the mulberry mare said. “But I don’t know any magic that can help me remember. It is possible that I used to know something like that, and forgot, but either way it can’t be helped.”

“Maybe we can call someone to help us?” the pink mare asked.

“Good point,” the mulberry mare said. “As we can’t find out what’s happening by ourselves, let’s call for help. I will write a message to my mentor, though I can’t remember her name. And could you please call for emergency services?”

The gamboge mare nodded and made a couple of steps. “Well, you know…”

“Ah, please go to the most distant bookshelf, on the right side of it you can see buttons. They are on a small rectangular panel on a wall. Try the yellow button first. If you get no response, press the red one. Don’t wait for a response after pressing the red one, they should consider a situation to be critical in that case.” The mulberry mare said.

The gamboge mare nodded again and trotted to the bookshelf.

The mulberry mare took a sheet of paper and began to write on the table. She wrote a brief list of phenomena they discovered, then looked around. The gamboge mare hadn’t returned yet.