• Published 10th Jan 2022
  • 247 Views, 0 Comments

Adjacent Adventure - Merallakos



Zipp has found discrepancies in Equestrian Lore, and has become determined to find the truth.

  • ...
 0
 247

Craturhuld

It was said that ancient Equestrian pegasi could sense currents in the wind, know where they came and where they went. That they never feared loosing their balance. They were best mountaineers, the fastest scouts, and the nimblest fighters.

Amid sun cut shadows, the mottled hills of grass and stony dirt gave way to climbing granite. Up here, the wind rode fiercely; forcing stands of tenacious trees down into strenuous crawls along the mountain. Hours of hiking had banished any chill in Zipp's body, but what she saw before her made her shiver. It was... Her eyes traced further and further and further, she was struck by the extent of everything. It was was much bigger than she'd thought it'd be.

It was an enormous basin, a colossal bowl two dozen miles in diameter. Mountains crested the rims. What would be smooth land beneath the foothills was split by shearing ravines. There was a maze-like pattern to the ravines, it didn't look like any natural formation Zipp had ever known. Everything was coated in yellow grass and pilings of granite ruins. The deeper into the basin Zipp looked, the more and more ruins cropped up. In the center of the basin, a massive stadium-like building dwelt.

It was shocking. Zipp had never been taught about this by any of her tutors. But it was here, in this remote corner of Equestria. It was so plain to see, it almost made her angry. But, generations of ponies had never known of ancient Equestria. Of course Zipp's tutors hadn't known of Craturhuld. Even Sunny hadn't known about it. Only two records even existed.

Only two strange ponies' accounts of the city had led Zipp here, the first step to answers. And only one would lead Zipp all the way back to Canterlot. To Answers. About history, magic, and the crystals.

A glob of warmth formed deep in the pit of Zipp's stomach. A smirk spread across her face. Yes. She spread her wings, rising proudly forward, then a gust of wind nearly blew her off the cliff--

She recovered.

She shook her head, rising regally, this time with a little better grip of the stone. This! She surveyed the chasms and buildings. This was what she was born to do!

Zipp's eyes dashed this way and that, there was one more thing that was critical to find. The Northern Pass. According to Ghostir, it was critical to pass through this to get to Canterlot... If Zipp could not find it--ah! There! The massive fortification not only visible, it was intact. Just like Gostir had described, it was made with--Zipp squinted. Between the wind-caused tears and the distance... Well it was definitely what she was looking for, though binoculars would be nice.

Zipp was broken from her reverie by a light green pegasus walking to the top of the mountain beside her. His eyes darted around the basin, appraising it.

"Thought the scroll said this would be navigable by hoof!" the guard had to raise his voice against the wind.

It is. Zipp thought.

From behind, another guard called. "What are you whining about now, Thunder?"

"We found it!” Zipp answered. “Craterhold!”

"Woah!" Z.Z. exclaimed, eyes widening as she surveyed the vast, vast depression. "Incredible!"

"Yeah, but how do we get across it?" Thunder pointed at the concentric chasms. "If you're not careful, you'd be blown right into one of those!"

"It’s just a maze!" Zipp said.

"What about the Storm the villagers were talking about?" Z.Z. asked.

“It abates nearing autumn,” Zipp explained. “But it seems like we got lucky!”

"So are we going to explore it?"

"Definitely!” Zipp looked backwards. “Where’s Marble?"

The group looked back. There was moment of dread as none of them spotted the photographer, and then–

“I’m coming!” A white unicorn came barreling up to the crest. “Just had to take a few photos– Wow!” Marble took out a camera. “Now this is good stuff!” click “Storm clouds, ancient ruins, oh yeah!” click “I need a scale photo. Somepony come here, wait–”

“Hey, Marble!” Z.Z. called, already descending, “Keep moving!”



Zipp and her team of three picked their way down into the main pass (the south pass) that led into the basin. The pass was dammed at the end by a six story defensive wall. Approaching the wall were the moldy remains of hundreds of tents. The remnants of pennants and weapons were scattered throughout the ruins, peeking out from a sea of yellow grass. Two massive banners had survived. The first lay in a tangle before the wall, a faded purple star on it. The second hung from the middle of the wall, its tattered length stretching nearly three quarters of the way down its surface. The unicorn, earth pony and unicorn crystals were printed on it.

Once past the wall, the basin began. Muzzle high, ochre wheat carpeted the descending hills and vales, overtaking many small walls which had once segregated various farms. The accompanying houses had long since crumbled away, and very few recognizable roads remained.

About two miles in, the grade of the basin began to even, and the ruins intensified. The group encountered their first ravine. As Thunder had worried, the wind, coupled with a lack of visibility made the path along it quite dangerous even with the powers of flight. Zipp had a sinking feeling, she knew that to attempt this within the Storm would far too risky. And expedition to cover all the distance necessary would have to be perfectly planned.

They found their first dead end. It was too wide and too windy for the pegasi to risk carrying Marble across. Luckily Marble’s photos, in conjunction with some daring aerial reconnaissance from Zipp, allowed the group to find a viable route.

By the third mile –halfway to the center of the basin– the wind began to pick up. Then it mellowed, switching directions, becoming suddenly warm. It was at this point that Zipp realized the Storm was coming in. Or rather, it was at this point she saw it.

“Uh oh!” Thunder pointed up an armada of grey clouds spiraling rapidly closer. “That’s that perpetual storm the villagers were talking about, right?”

“Think we can take it?” Marble asked.

“Nope!” Zipp said. “Let’s head back!”

The group picked their way back out of the basin, but by the time they reached their pass, the storm was already in force.