• Published 10th Sep 2012
  • 1,054 Views, 15 Comments

It's Great to be Different. - Filly Derpyshy



Sometimes solutions to problems can drop right out of the sky.

  • ...
0
 15
 1,054

The Letter

It's Great to be Different.



Lyra woke up, her pillow once again stained with countless tears. Her dreams always plagued with the same memories her mind refused to repress. Beside her Bon-Bon was looking at her.


“Again?” She muttered, with small hints of annoyance in her voice as she always had on these mornings. Mornings that were becoming much too common.


Lyra nodded, tears again forming in her eyes at the obvious annoyance in her marefriends tone.


“When will you see you need help? You can't possibly expect me to pretend I don't notice this, what it's doing to you.”


Lyra could only close her eyes and hope that her sobs didn't render her speechless. She has indeed become aware of the constant depression. Everyday tasks were becoming increasingly difficult. The cotton candy maned earth pony next to her was taking it hard, she could tell.


“Lyra, I really didn’t want to tell you this but I think I cant put it off any longer.”


The unicorn choked, but it went unnoticed.


Bon-Bon got to her hooves next to the bed and turned away from her, the silence that followed was eating away at the unicorn. “I can't stand by and let this happen to you,” She finally let out slowly. “I think it's best for both of us if-”


“Just go, Bon-Bon.” Lyra snapped. “I cant deal with this right now.”


Bon-Bon turned to look at her, hurt in her eyes, threatening to well itself out. “Fine, I'll leave you.” She walked over to the door of the small bedroom they had shared for only a few nights, turning just before she left, her eyes damp. “Goodbye, Lyra.” She left, out of Lyra's life.


Lyra knew what this moment meant, and she nearly broke down again into the wet pillow. She instead pulled herself out of bed and walked somberly to the door, looking over to a picture frame bearing the likeness of herself and Bon-Bon at last years hearths-Warming Eve celebration. In a moment of either blind fury or incredible depression, she swung her hoof across the desk it was lying on and tossed it across the room. It came to a halt on the opposite side of the room with a crunch, its glass broken.


She carried herself to her kitchen to make breakfast, instead just sitting in the chair, burying her face in her hooves on the table. Without warning, past events came flooding from the back of her mind.



“I'm sorry Mr. Heartstrings, but this filly is just beyond teaching in this school."


Lyra got up forcefully, knocking over the chair, and stomped into the living room, sitting down on the oversized green sofa, burying her muzzle into the arm.


“Fillyfooler! You're unnatural! Daddy says all Fillyfoolers should be locked up and burned."


She forced the thoughts from her mind as she sat up, reaching for her lyre, now the only form of solace she could think of. Her golden lyre her mother had gotten her as a filly after she had seen it in the window of a music shop.


She strummed her hoof across the strings, the sound always a comfort to her, but today it was different.


“A unicorn who can't do magic? You might as well rip off my wings! You're nothing Lyra, when will you see that?”


She continued playing, the notes coming slow and strained. She joined her own voice in with the melody, singing the song she had sung just before she and Bon-Bon shared their first kiss.


“I've seen the way you look at Bon-Bon. You should feel ashamed! You're so dirty."


Lyra flung the lyre across the room, luckily stopped by the armchair opposite her, dealing no damage to the delicate instrument. She slumped back down into the sofa and allowed her emotions swell to the breaking point.

“What is wrong with me?” She wailed, her sobs tearing at her throat as they forced their way out. "I'm a unicorn who cant do magic, I'm useless... why do I even try?"


She stood up and walked over to the picture of her parents.


“Why do I even try with you leela? I work my flank off all day and you have little to no respect!”


“Please don't, not with lyra here.”


“I could care less, half of this is her fault anyway! You tell her everything is fine with her, that her having no magic is okay, that being a fillyfooler is completely normal, well it's not! I'm sorry but this isn't going to work, I refuse to be a part of this.”


Lyra punched a hoof into the picture, meaning only to harm the horrible stallion in the picture. The picture fell the ground, small drops of blood on the jagged edges of the broken glass.


“I cant do this!” Lyra ran across the room and flung her door open, stepping out into the cool morning air.


She ran. She ran and she didn't know where exactly she was running to, or why she was even running in the first place. She came to a halt just outside the Everfree Forest. She slumped to her stomach and just allowed herself to cry. She had always tried to see past the things everypony said to her, but to no avail. She endured every event of her life with gritted teeth.


It wasn't long until there wont be any teeth left to grind.


“What did I do wrong?” She screamed, directed towards nopony or nothing in particular. She dropped her voice to barely above a whisper. “Why am I so bucked up? This isn’t who I should be...”


A painful sleep overtook her, she didn't care if she ever woke up from it.


*



She awoke to fluttering above her. She shot up to alertness looking around for what made the sound.


“Who's there?” She asked, fear eating at her words.


Something fell in front of her, a small envelope, sealed with a heart sticker. She looked up, trying to figure out where it fell from, and she noticed a gray pegasus mare. She thought she was seeing things, her delirious mind playing tricks on her.


The pegasus simply waved, and flew away.


She watched her go, back over Ponyville until she was out of sight. When she gathered her thoughts her mind came back to the envelope. She picked it up and eyed it cautiously, deciding immediately to tear the sticker and open the envelope. A small note card fell out of the envelope. She picked it up and read the simple message on it, written in sloppy, barely legible writing.



Isn't it great to be different?
Isn't it wonderful to be exactly who you are?
When you learn to start accepting yourself, you'll become a shining star.