• Published 23rd Sep 2021
  • 438 Views, 27 Comments

Canterlot & Everfree: The Early Years - Smokey_Cinders



Two colts, a long forgotten steam locomotive and an Equestria with an “out with the old, in with the new” mentality, what could possibly go wrong?.. a lot actually

  • ...
2
 27
 438

Chapter 3: The Arrival of 109

A week after 13’s first overview, Smokey and Crosby were at the yard early in the morning, eagerly awaiting their new equipment to use. They had been speaking to several other Ponies, albeit leaving out 13 of course, and they seemed interested in helping with the lines reopening; the two also registered themselves as the first ever members, and chairponies, of the “Canterlot & Everfree Railway Historical Society”. They had mentioned that their plan was to run occasional passenger and freight trains, and had planned to run the first revenue train sometime within the next month.


Smokey looked up, listening to a radio scanner for the EUR’s dispatch, registering a train coming. “Train 5127D Track 3, Mile Post 577, Approaching Ponyville switch yard, Over”. Smokey looked to Crosby excitedly as he held up the manifest and other paperwork he had for the incoming train. “That’s our train! She’ll be here in two minutes” Smokey said as a horn rang out over the Misty Equestrian sunrise.

The two watched eagerly from the C&E’s interchange track as a throuple of massive AC6000’s snaked into the Ponyville yard with a long freight. The two colts’ eyes glimmered excitedly as they saw what trailed the train. A shabby Equestrian Locomotive Company RS-1 diesel with the number 109, two pullmare coaches and a small rickety caboose, all of which were painted in the colors of the equestrian flag, “EQUESTRIAN ROYAL GUARD'' painted boldly in gold along the sides.

“You from the Historical Society?” The conductor of the freight train said as he trotted back, a clipboard and file in his magical aura.

“Eeyup! I expect these are for us?” Smokey asked as he and Crosby approached the conductor.

“That’s correct, please sign here and we can get this uncoupled for you, the royal guard wanted me to inform you that they did give the engine an inspection and topped off its tanks for you to use” the conductor said as Smokey signed for the delivery, the conductor going back to the rear of the train to disconnect the End Of Train Device, a small apparatus which was used in lieu of a Caboose on a modern freight train.

While the rear of the train was being prepared, the engineer walked back to the RS-1 and started the 539T engine. The engine coughed and chugged as thick clouds of exhaust shot from the exhaust pipe. “Sheesh, she’s running a little rough” the engineer said as the conductor gave a signal to move back. Smokey rode in the cab with the engineer while Crosby and the Conductor rode on the deck of the caboose so they could watch the shove maneuver, as the train would need to reverse over to the C&E’s trackage.

Once the engine was off the mainline, the engineer moved to let Smokey take over and head back to his own train, shaking his hoof. “Good luck, kid, just don’t push it into the red, and get it inspected when you can, the turbocharger sounded a bit off” he said as he turned and walked out of the cab, heading out with the conductor.

“Well, looks like we’re in business!” Smokey called through the radio to Crosby, looking back with a smile.

“Sure does! Let me align the switch through town and let’s get to the station, I don’t wanna go through when traffic comes” Crosby said as he walked to the switch to set it for the C&E.


Ponyville had grown up around the Canterlot & Everfree, and instead of having multiple railroad crossings guarded with gates, the council had opted to integrate the railroad with the Main Street, it was quite safe for the most part when trains once ran, as folks knew to watch out for the trains that passed through town, however as there hasn’t been a train in the last ten years, it would certainly become quite the shock.

Crosby had lit the lanterns on the rear of the caboose, and was guiding Smokey back, as the engine was coupled to the rear-facing end of the train, he was unable to properly watch the front-facing end. “Gently now, we’re doing good, another twenty car lengths” Crosby said as the train slowly crept through Ponyville, a few bystanders walking out of homes and shops to watch the odd spectacle.

Crosby gave a smile and a wave as they moved the train, his eyes catching movement in his peripheral vision. He turned his head to see in his horror, Derpy trotting her way towards the track, eyes closed and humming a tune, heading to Sugarcube Corner for her morning muffins. “Derpy!” Crosby shouted before he grabbed the radio and blasted the caboose’s small air whistle. “STOP STOP STOP!”

Smokey reacted with lightning reflexes, throwing the diesel’s air brakes into Emergency Stop, being thrown back against the seat as the brake shoes slammed against the wheels with a vice-like grip. The coaches and caboose bucked and jolted loudly as the jarring caused the air hoses to separate with a loud pop due to the slack action.

Derpy turned her head to see the caboose and screamed in terror as she covered her eyes, feeling the coupler gently press into her snout. Crosby jumped down from the caboose and around to Derpy. “Are you ok!?” He asked as he saw the quivering Pegasus, relieved that she seemed physically sound.

Smokey nearly tore the door off 109’s cab as he galloped along the engines catwalk, leapt to the ground and ran as fast as he could to the rear, horrified at the thought that they had hit somepony, let alone on their first attempt to move a train. “What happened!?” He asked as Crosby was consoling the shaken Pegasus.

“She accidentally walked out onto the tracks, she’s ok, just scared” he said as he held her. “Shhh it’s ok, Derpy, you're ok” Crosby said as she shivered.

“I-I’m sorry, I didn’t see the train” she said as she whimpered, still shaken a bit.

“It’s fine,” Smokey said as he knelt down. “It’s been a while since a train ran through here, just be careful around tracks, ok?” The charcoal stallion said with a smile as he dried her tears with his bandana.

“O-otay, Smokey” Derpy said with a smile as she stood.

“Tell ya what, Derpy, here” Smokey said as he pulled out a few bits. “Breakfasts on us, as an apology for that” he said with a smile.

“Oh Smokey, breakfast is on a plate, not on you” Derpy giggled as she took the bits and trotted happily on her way.

Crosby sighed as he looked at Smokey. “Maybe we should call for a couple ponies to stand by the track when we come through here”.

“Indeed… but we shouldn’t have to do this often, we’ll only being as far as the depot beyond Main Street” Smokey said as he patted Crosby on the back. “Let’s check the train and get it out of the way so we can see what we’re gonna do next”


Since the Everfree yard and 13 were still Smokey’s and Crosby’s secret, they’d decided to store the consist at the Ponyville yard. Smokey moved the coaches and caboose over to the track which held the station platform, they would need painted and some repairs to the interior before being used for passengers.

After one last inspection of 109, the two boarded and set off down the track...the line was in less than great condition, the aging engine bouncing and swaying side to side with every bump in the rails. Soon they came up to the Trestle; it was tall and foreboding, it groaned as the wind blew through the old logs and poles that were used to hold up the rails.

“You think you can watch for me? If anything cracks, I’ll need to know to reverse off” Smokey said as he gave Crosby a worried glance, knowing his fear of heights.

“I’ll watch for ya, just don't highball” Crosby said hesitantly as he climbed down and began to use the walkway on the side of the bridge to walk alongside the locomotive to make sure the rails weren’t about to give out. “Ok, Smokey, let’s do this, take her as slow as you can,” Chime said. With two honks of the Nathan P3, Smokey let off the brakes, said a quick prayer and set the throttle to notch one. 109 crept forward and began to cross the bridge at a crawl. Both Smokey and Crosby were more than anxious as the trestle groaned loudly in protest of the switcher's weight. The Everclear river below looked more like rushing rapids to the colts.

After six agonizing minutes, they made it across, much to the relief of Smokey and Crosby. Crosby climbed onto the engine and high-hoofed Smokey before they set off for the yard.

"Well it wasn’t so bad!” Crosby said with a smile. “It’s not as bad as we thought!… I don’t like the height, but it seemed to hold us well!” He said as he sat across from Smokey.

“I don’t like it...” Smokey spoke as he glanced back , "I don’t really want to use the trestle too much. We need to be careful when we’re going across it, at least until we can get it inspected." Smokey finished as he moved the throttle and drove the train steadily onwards.


Once they made it to the yard, they decided to see if they could move one of the freight cars, hoping to use it to haul supplies up. Crosby held up a radio as Smokey inched forward for the boxcar. "Bring it on. Three hoofs, two hoofs, one hoof, aaand there," he said, a quiet bump was heard as 109 coupled to the boxcar.

"Alright, Smokey, see if she’ll move," Crosby directed as he fastened the air hoses.

Smokey put the engine in reverse and began to throttle up, the old car groaned as its wheels tried to move...they began to slide. “Crosby, I don’t think it’s gonna work," Smokey said with worry, as he leaned out of the cab.

“Keep moving, it’ll break loose!” Crosby shouted as the boxcar continued to slide… before the rusted bearings broke loose and Smokey shot back, flying over a switch and nearly derailing.

“WOAH WOAH WOAH!!!” Smokey shouted as he slammed on the brakes, the boxcar was jolted so hard, the body separated from the deck and collapsed to one side.

“Told ya it would break loose!” Crosby laughed as he ran up to the engine. "You ok?”

Smokey nodded, shaking a bit. "Yeah...well…we have a new flatbed!” Smokey exclaimed in a joking tone before continuing, “Let’s grab a couple more boxcars and head back to Ponyville and see about getting this thing repainted, and remind me to call that boiler inspector." He said before he grabbed a toolbox. “But this time, let’s oil the bearings”.

“Sounds like a plan!” Crosby said as the two set off to prepare the old cars to be moved.