• Published 2nd Nov 2021
  • 290 Views, 12 Comments

Tales from The Oasis - TikiBat



An anthology of stories set in the Pandemic Universe

  • ...
5
 12
 290

The Star Hunter - Memory 1 - Destiny

Author's Note:

This entry is set in a period following the events of Night Terrors.

A gust of wind sent a wave through the dark forest as the leaves in the trees rattled and shook around the young night pony. Fear shot through him for a moment as the eerie sounds of nature echoed out, but he was a brave pony, and he knew that everything would be alright.

Orion was no stranger to camping, but this trip was different than his usual trips, and he was beginning to regret his hasty decision to sneak away from his parents’ camp to do a little star gazing of his own. He was a natural when it came to that hobby, but finding his way around an unfamiliar locale was a different story entirely. The sounds of a deer calling out in the distance sent another surge of fear through him, and as the minutes stretched into hours he only felt more fearful.

A small twitch of his wings reminded him of the fact that he had yet to master flight, which only worsened his predicament as he continued to trot under the moon’s dim light. Without the ability to take inventory of his situation with that higher vantage point, he was as good as lost, the only chance at finding his way back seemingly locked away from him.

His fears began to grow as the wind sent another shiver down his spine, and the trees around him only seemed to grow even more alien and unfamiliar to the young night pony.

Tears filled Orion’s eyes as he frantically jumped into the air, his wings desperately flapping in the air but not allowing him to take flight.

“Why won’t this work!” He cried out, his voice echoing throughout the forest.

“Because you’re still growing into them,” came the comforting voice of his father from behind him.

The colt’s ears twitched for a moment before he turned toward the other pony, a warm smile spreading across his face as he ran toward his father.

“Dad!” He shouted out, “You found me!”

“Everything’s going to be alright... You really gave me and mommy a scare.”

The colt leaped up toward the midnight blue stallion, but quickly crashed onto the floor under him. He paused for a moment as the elder stallion floated across the ground, making him stare up in confusion.

“You…”

“I’m not really here,” Silver Eclipse clarified, “But we're connected, and I’m going to help you find your way home.”

“Is this… am I dreaming?”

Silver shook his head, “No, but I am… well, kinda. It’s a little trick I learned a few years ago, but what’s important is that I’m with you now, and I’ll be with you until you’re home.”

“But I’m lost,” he protested, “I don’t know how to get back.”

Silver sat near him and held an ethereal hoof up to him, “Hey little buddy, you’ve got this. Auntie Sapphire and Uncle Crescent are helping us look for you, but I just need to figure out where you are.

The colt let out a few sniffles, “But I don’t know where I am.”

The stallion let out a small, but comforting chuckle, “Orion, do you remember what mommy taught you about the stars?”

Orion’s ears perked up slightly, “She said I could use them to find out where I am.”

Silver smiled, “That’s right. Now do you remember how to find Polaris?”

“The North Star?” He perked up, “Yeah!”

“Good,” Silver pointed up to the sky, “Why don’t you do me a favor and find that. I know it’s scary right now, but I’m here with you, and we’re going to be together soon, I promise.”

Feeling comforted, Orion looked up at the sky as the gears in his head began to turn. It would only take him a few moments to identify and locate the constellations he knew by heart, and soon enough he had picked out the appropriate star.

“That one!” He excitedly pointed up at it, giving Silver a small basis of his direction.

“Good job!” The stallion cheered, “You make me so proud, you know that?”

“You’re not mad at me?”

Silver shook his head and sat down, “Terrified, but not mad. I could never be mad at you. I’m going to have to go away for a little bit soon, but we’re going to find you Orion.”

The colt’s eyes began to tear up for a moment as he neared his father’s incorporeal form, “I love you dad.”

The stallion leaned close to him, doing his best to mime a hug, “I love you too Orion.”

When the colt opened his eyes again, Silver was gone, but he wasn’t afraid anymore. His father had given him the strength to be brave, and had reminded him of a tool that he always had with him. Taking another look up at the stars, he smiled, locking his gaze on the constellation that was his namesake.

Orion, he thought to himself, someday I’m gonna go to the stars.

A warm feeling began to well up inside of him as he remembered the stories that Silver had read him as a foal, and he recollected the many hours he had spent with his mother learning all that he could about space and the stars. In that moment he felt the stars give him strength, and he knew what he wanted to do someday. He wanted to be the brave space pony that got to visit the stars, and he was going to do that no matter how hard it would be.

A bright light illuminated the trees around him, making his heart leap for a moment as he thought it was his family finally reuniting with him, but as the light faded he realized that he was still alone. Though a quick glance at the light’s source filled his heart with a feeling of joy far greater than he had ever felt before…

…because he had finally earned his cutie mark.