• Published 30th Sep 2021
  • 289 Views, 5 Comments

Oscillation: Back and Forth - TundraStanza



What if Ocellus was born and raised in Canterlot, taught by Celestia, and sent to Ponyville?

  • ...
 5
 289

Ch. 4: Bishop to Bishop-8

The Everfree Forest was a blight on Equestria's existence. Its horrors were so dark and unnerving that whispers had made it to Canterlot. There were mashed creatures that were more deadly than their parts. Noises were hushed and would crescendo at random. Even the plant life would spring to attention and attack unwanted intruders. All of that was considered the least of the problems to prospecting wanderers.

But if the passage she read was correct, this was where Ocellus needed to go. It was the last known location of the Elements of Harmony, the only magical artifacts strong enough to surpass Nightmare Moon. She looked between the edge of the forest and the reference guide in her magical hold. With Canterlot and Ponyville, she could always pick up a lingering sense of the pride from the builders and the owners. The Everfree Forest emitted no emotional scents, and that terrified her.

She couldn't bring herself to risk Spike's life in a place like this. That was why she left him under a blanket inside Golden Oaks Library. With one last flip through the pages, she closed the book and put it in her saddlebag. It went without saying that this would be a long night. If she failed, it would be even longer than that.

"And just where do you think you're going?"

Ocellus jumped and spun on her hind legs. She sputtered in confusion at the sight of the five ponies that had introduced themselves to her that day. After some metaphorical grilling and false starts, Ocellus was encouraged to tell them everything she knew about The Mare in the Moon and the Elements of Harmony.

Applejack looked at her carefully, silently nodded to herself, then smiled at the rest. They all seemed eager to help their new friend on her quest to save the world from a cold and painful end. Ocellus cringed, but realized they had a point. If Nightmare Moon wasn't stopped, it wouldn't matter where they were when all was said and done. They might as well add their eyes to the search.

The journey through the forest was tedious and draining. Many obstacles threatened their quest: rock slides, treants, giant river worms, and illusory phantoms. The rag-tag team was exhausted upon reaching the ruins of an old castle. But seeing something at the back of the first room gave them something to renew their spirits. It was an ornate statue with five different stone orbs arranged in a unique balance.

Pinkie Pie was the first to touch one of the orbs. "Oooo! That tickles!"

"Huh?" Rainbow Dash tapped the same orb. "Uh... is this another prank, Pinkie Pie? This rock isn't really triggering anything."

"Nope, it really tickled!" Pinkie hopped up and down.

"Perhaps you still have the jitters from that last fight." Rarity wandered to the other side of the statue near a different orb. "Stone isn't really known for causing- Whaaaa?" She blinked twice. "For that matter, maybe I'm getting the jitters too."

Curious, Fluttershy flew up to one of the upper orbs. "Oh, my. That feels very soothing."

"Hmm..." Applejack trotted up to the orb closest to the floor. Something made her mane stand on end. "I see... a silver cloud?"

"Alright, you guys can stop now." Rainbow hovered over to the untouched orb. "It was weird enough when Pinkieeeee?" She shook in place as her tail whipped around wildly. "Holy smokes! I feel like I can do anything!"

Ocellus watched each of their reactions and tapped her muzzle. Before she could think any further, a shadowy cloud billowed in from the entrance. She stared wide-eyed as Nightmare Moon appeared with a literal storm cloud over her head. Each of the ponies stopped what they were doing and yelped at the sight. Suddenly, a crazy thought crossed the bug-filly's mind.

"Every pony! Keep touching the Elements! I've got an idea!"

"Nooooo!"

Nightmare raced toward them, half as a dark alicorn and half as the purple smoke. Ocellus leaped with her wings spread wide. She landed on the center platform that looked barren. Upon contact with the stone plate, her horn and torso glowed a bright green. Energy poured from all five of the ponies into the orbs and it surged into Ocellus. Just as Nightmare Moon's hoof was within an inch of her, a magical wave lashed out, blowing the Nightmare away.

The magic surging through Ocellus took the form of green flames. It surrounded her and changed her very appearance. One moment, she looked just like Applejack. In the next, she looked like Rainbow Dash. Her form cycled through Rarity, Fluttershy, and Pinkie Pie. Finally, it gave her back her own onyx and red shape. Blinding light filled the room... and then, it stopped.

---

Ocellus's vision was a bit bleary upon waking up. She blinked a few times before shapes became distinct. Morning sunlight made her grumble about the downside of all-night study sessions.

...

Morning sunlight?! She bolted upright on all fours. Looking around, she was in that ruined castle. All of her new acquaintances were sprawled on the floor around the decorated statue. One by one, they worked on waking up. Although, the Element orbs were absent from their platforms.

Ocellus hopped down to the floor. "Is every pony okay?"

"I think so." Fluttershy massaged her face with her wings.

"Warn me next time we're going to do something like that," said Rarity.

"That. Was. Incredibl-azing!" Pinkie jumped several meters into the air before landing on all fours.

Rainbow chuckled. "That's not even a word, but I agree."

"Wait, what happened to the Elements of Harmony?" Applejack looked around.

Ocellus sat down and pressed her front hooves together. "I think... we're the Elements of Harmony now."

Rarity pushed up one of her mane's curls. "Come again?"

"We felt the magic of each Element react to a specific pony." Ocellus pointed at Applejack. "Integrity." She pointed at Rainbow Dash. "Perseverance." She pointed at Rarity. "Inspiration." She looked at Fluttershy and Pinkie Pie. "Compassion and Optimism. Those were the interpretations of the five known Elements."

"What about you?" Rainbow asked.

"I felt it when your Elements connected to me." As easily as blinking, she turned into each of the ponies before their eyes. She reverted to herself before continuing. "My Element can't exist without all of yours, and in turn it gives your Elements strength." She smiled. "The Element of Unity: A strong bond that ties thicker than blood."

"You've come a lot farther than I could ever imagine."

A ray of sunlight carried a spinning entity. In the next moment, it entered the room through a window. Upon reaching the floor, it grew out into a welcoming presence.

"Princess Celestia!" called all the ponies. They bowed.

"Please rise," insisted the princess. "I am proud of what you have all accomplished here today. You brought life back to the Elements of Harmony in yourselves, you've given Equestria a future it can look forward to, and..." She turned around and walked toward some fading smoke. "You've given me a second chance."

"Second chance?" Ocellus echoed. "I don't understand."

Near the entrance of the room was where Nightmare Moon had fallen. But there was no more Nightmare. Instead, there was a dark blue alicorn pony. She inhaled sharply as her eyes opened. She sat up and looked in shock at the approaching princess.

"Luna." There was a crack in Princess Celestia's calm she used for crowds. "My sister."

"Sister?!" echoed the other ponies behind Ocellus.

"Oh." Ocellus tapped her horn. "Duh, of course day and night would be siblings."

Celestia sat down, facing her sister directly. "For distancing myself in your time of grief, for being deaf to your concerns, and for abusing the Elements of Harmony just to shortcut our conflict one thousand years ago... I am so sorry."

Luna blinked twice and leaned back slightly. "Thou art apologizing to us? To me? But I hath promised destruction upon countless of our subjects for simply averting their gaze from me! Tartarus, I'm pretty sure I followed through with that promise on more than one!"

Celestia sighed. "True, we'll have to inform the loved ones of the slain. We will let them decide what you should do to reconcile."

Luna chuckled sadly. "'Twould be a critical error for me to refuse forgiveness if you're letting me off so lightly for my transgressions. So, please relinquish your sorrows. I seek no repayment for your past choices."

"Are you sure?" Celestia twiddled her feathers. "Because I'm fairly certain the drawn ropes with chains are still working in the basement if you doubt my sincerity."

Luna's complexion became green around her nonexistent gills. "Okay, thou art making it weird. I forgive you, alright?"

"Alright." Celestia nuzzled her. "Thank you."

The sisters embraced.

"Hey!" Pinkie Pie interjected. "You know what this calls for?"

---

There were so many supplies around for the Summer Sun Celebration. Ponyville decided to use them to also celebrate the return of Princess Luna. For all the attention she desired centuries ago, now she didn't know what to do with it. After twenty or so compliments were thrown about her looks and how great it was to have her back, she spent the rest of the festivities hiding her face behind one of Princess Celestia's wings. Those who could still see her swore she was blushing.

Well into the afternoon, the celebration came to a close. Guards hooked themselves to the front of the carriage. Goodbyes were said to the princesses. Ocellus and Spike had their bags packed up. Yet, her holed hooves refused to climb up. She wasn't sure what this feeling was.

"Hard to believe it hasn't even been two full days, hmm?" asked Celestia.

"Y-Yeah..." Ocellus looked down before turning her head to face the princess. "Did you hear back from the 'loved ones'?"

Celestia nodded. "They came to the conclusion that they didn't have enough power to demand the execution of an alicorn princess. So, Luna's punishment will be helping them perform their ritualistic service, ensuring that the departed can rest in peace."

Ocellus's ears perked up. "Wow, that's... rather humble of them."

Celestia giggled. "That's pretty much what Luna said too." She folded her wings. "Are you ready to return home?"

"I guess so." Ocellus shrugged.

"What's up?" asked Spike.

"I just..." Ocellus shook her head. "I feel like there's something else I can do here. I followed your directions all the way through, and even made friends with a group to do something nearly impossible." She cycled through the forms of all five of the ponies. "And yet... I don't feel finished. It makes no sense."

Celestia hummed. "I may have an idea. Would you mind waiting in Canterlot until the end of your break?"

Ocellus changed back to herself and tilted her head. "Uh... sure, I can wait."

---

It was another beautiful day in Ponyville. Not much was happening, outside of the usual work and chatter. A train was just arriving at the station. Clouds were being prepped for a light sprinkle scheduled for later. A pony with headphones was leaving a fruit stand just as it was closing for lunch hour.

"Hard to believe it has been a whole week, huh?"

"Yep, it certainly is, Pinkie," answered Applejack.

"Aw... how'd you know it was me?" Pinkie pretended to pout.

"Well, who else would throw their voice way behind me while asking me a question from way out in front?"

"Just me!" Pinkie giggled as she bounced out of sight. The next instant, she was giving her friend a hug.

Rainbow hovered over. "Hey, AJ! Got any bruised leftovers? Just put it on my tab."

"No, RD." Applejack smirked. "All I've got left is this perfectly ripe granny smith."

"Oh, darn." Rainbow rolled her eyes. "Beggars can't be choosers."

"Well, fancy meeting you lot here." Rarity trotted by, wearing a pair of daisy-themed sunglasses.

Fluttershy grunted while carrying three different bags on her at once. "Hello, girls."

"Heh, you got enough stuff there, Rares?" Rainbow shook her head.

Rarity contemplated. "Hmm, maybe I could use another bag just to be sure."

Fluttershy's head suddenly gained several sweat drops. "Oh, well, one more wouldn't be so bad."

Pinkie Pie sighed. "Hoarders, am I right?"

Applejack and Rainbow shared a couple laughs. A large cart filled with suitcases suddenly rolled past all of them. It looked like it was heading straight for... the tree-shaped library.

"No, wait! Stop!" yelled a young girl's voice.

A flash of light green magic shot out. It broke a wheel off, sending the whole cart tumbling to the left. Its wooden side barely missed the library's outer wall. Buzzing noises followed along with some creature heavily breathing.

"What'd I say?" asked a little boy's voice. "The 'come-to-life' spell should never be used! But, no. You insisted this would be better."

"I couldn't just load the bags off into your hands like last time!" insisted the girl. "It was only a day's worth last week. Would you really have preferred pulling such a heavy load manually?"

"I was literally hatched to serve you! That's my job!"

"You're more than a servant, young dragon! So much more!"

The arguing pair stood in front of the cart, lamenting its contents. By that time, the watching ponies shook themselves out of their stupor and trotted over.

"Ocellus?"

The bug-filly turned around and blushed. "Hey, every pony. Sorry you had to see that. I swear this was a one-time outburst."

"For today at least," whispered Spike.

"We're happy to see you, but what are you doing here?" Applejack adjusted her hat.

"Oh, right... um..." Ocellus patted herself over. Eventually, she levitated out a fancy slip of paper. "I live here."

"Say what?" Rainbow's jaw dropped.

"But what happened to Canterlot?" asked Rarity.

"And your family?" added Fluttershy.

"Well, Princess Celestia had to follow the standard procedures to make this arrangement work." Ocellus passed the paper to Spike. "Sure, my parents and my brother were a little surprised at my decision, but they supported it. My foal-sitter was disappointed that she couldn't use me as an excuse to visit them. I know she has a backup excuse. But I digress." Ocellus waved a hoof dismissively. "I'm ready to live out on my own, in a manner of speaking. Officially, I'm here to continue my studies on the magic of Unity and the connections it has with the other Elements." She playfully stuck out her tongue. "But really, I just wanted to spend more time with all of you."

She smelled surprise. That much, she anticipated. She then felt a number of hooves hugging her all at once. Pinkie Pie suggested a slumber party for her first night living in town for good. Applejack offered to help move some of Ocellus's luggage into the building, and she roped Rainbow into helping her out. Rarity pulled out some of her supplies to find any complementary colors. Fluttershy turned her hugging attention toward Spike.

It was another beautiful day in Ponyville.
---

Author's Note:

King's Gambit leading into several moves before a Discovered Checkmate. Improbable, but then again, so are a lot of things that happen in Equestria.
...
Hope I haven't bored you too much with the re-treading of old story points.