• Published 15th Aug 2021
  • 236 Views, 0 Comments

A Games Like No Other - TheGathering

  • ...
 0
 236

The Reaping

In District 1, the citizens look on with greater enthusiasm than usual. This year, there’s a chance they might get all of their tributes back. Among the few who think differently about this is Rook, standing near the front of the 17 year olds. He knows he’s going to volunteer, if he’s going to precede with his plan. As he waits patiently, the District Escort reads off her usual stuff about the Dark Days and all that. Rook isn’t listening. All he cares about at this point is volunteering. She reads out the first female’s name and since she is one of the academy’s strongest 18-year-olds, no one has to volunteer. Then, it’s on to the first male tribute. She calls up a wimpy 14-year-old to the stage, but he’s barely gotten to the front of the section when Rook hears a voice calling out.

“I volunteer as tribute!”

It’s Marvel. Rook isn’t surprised about this. Since his close friend Glimmer died last year in the 74th Games, Marvel has more reason than most in the District to volunteer this year. As he put it, it was a matter of avenging Glimmer’s honor. Still, the fact that he may have to kill Marvel to win does bring a couple of tears to Rook’s eyes. The escort calls out the second female’s name and this time, someone volunteers. Now it’s his turn. The moment the District Escort starts reading the name, he acts.

“Brian-“

“I volunteer as tribute!”

The escort acknowledges the fact that Rook volunteered, and Rook ascends to the stage with an expressionless look on his face.

“What’s your name, dear?” asks the Escort.

“Rook Marshall.”

Deep down inside though, he’s smirking hard. At least until he hears the next name and the voice of the person who volunteers.

"Sonata Dusk-"

"I volunteer as tribute!"

It's Adagio Dazzle. Now, Rook feels like he's sweating internally. If he gets Adagio killed, he'll certainly have his entire district pissed off at him, not to mention one of the most powerful people in the district angry as well. Fuck, he thinks to himself. This shit just got harder than I wanted it to be.

——————————
District 2 views the Quell in a similar way to District 1, yet they are more eager to avenge their honor from the last games. They had sent in Hunter, the academy’s chosen male volunteer for that year, and he had blew it. This year, they’re determined to prevent the same mistakes. This year, they determine the volunteers based on who learned from last year’s mistakes. Among the trainees, it’s perfectly obvious which of them has learned. Cato, Clove, and Cameron had formed a unique friendship ever since the lost of Cato’s older brother in the 69th Games. After the 74th Games, the three of them had spent countless hours outside of training watching the replay of the 74th Games over and over again. Now, they believed they understood why the Career Tributes last year lost, and had taken steps to prevent these mistakes. All three had made notes to make sure that if they did come across someone that could rework the mines, that they didn’t place them too close to the supplies. They had also taken time training in climbing trees, camouflage, and hunting. The idea the three had in mind was becoming self-sufficient so that in the case of loosing all their supplies, they weren’t completely undone. The three of them worked well together, a fact that many of the District 2 Victors backed up. As such, the reaping was a formality.
———————
In District 4, it's no secret that Urchin is going to volunteer. Before, everyone in District 4 believed it as impossible that a 12 year old as scrawny as Urchin would even have a chance at winning the Hunger Games. After Finnick Odair's win at the age of 14, they're not so sure of that now. But, Urchin is well-built, and practically the strongest, most prepared 12 year old in the district. This is his year, and they know it. As such, no one tries to stop him as he volunteers for a blind 14 year old boy. When his district escort asks him his name, he replies with a boast that'll make him a instant point of interest.

"My name is Urchin Hook. And this is the year District 4 is going to win the quell hands-down."

---------------------
In District 5, no one volunteers for Finch when her name is called. In the outer districts, getting reaped for the games is the equivalent of a death sentence for those that are reaped. Most people in the district do not know about Finch's knowledge of survival, which is more than most of the district. They just see her as the next dead tribute in a long line of dead District 5 tributes.
-------------------
In District 6, Mark volunteers, a fact that surprises all of the district. The same could be said for District 7, where both Wolfgang and Oak also volunteer. In District 11, it's no secret as to Rye wanting to volunteer. Even the peacekeepers have taken note of it, and they're not surprised. From the family of a dead tribute, wanting to avenge his fallen family member and win the games, it's a no-brainer. In fact, all of the Peacekeepers of the District lift their guns up over their heads when Rye volunteers.
----------------------
In District 10, it's an exact repeat of Katniss Everdeen volunteering the year before. When Jackie's own sister, Apple Bloom, is reaped, she rushes forward to volunteer, a move that shocks everyone in the District like District 12 was a year before. They view Jackie as dead on arrival, but to Jackie, she views herself as the girl determined to get back to her family, at any cost.
---------------------
If District 10 is an exact repeat of Katniss volunteering, then in District 12, it's nearly deja vu all over again. Once again, Primrose Everdeen gets reaped for the games. This time, instead of Katniss volunteering, it's the small pig tailed girl Mina that volunteers, causing her father to take off his helmet and literally cry for all to see. Even the other peacekeepers are so moved by the daughter of one of their own volunteering for the Hunger Games that they do the Mockingjay salute, catching everyone else by complete surprise. It's a sign that for once, both Peacekeepers and Citizens of District 12 are united in their wish to see one of their own come out alive.
--------------------
In the Capitol, Snow is slightly livid and amazed at the sight in District 12. The fact that a peacekeeper's daughter had so moved the other peacekeepers was astounding. He had never seen anything like it. Still, it was a sign that in such circumstances, peacekeeper and citizen could show unity in the face of the games, a rarity in the outlying Districts. He has a gut feeling that this year's tributes are special. What he doesn't know is just how far some of these tributes are willing to go to achieve victory in this year's games. Even more so, he has no idea about the bonds about to form between 9 of these tributes.