• Published 24th Jul 2021
  • 422 Views, 4 Comments

Marching Towards Harmony - TrackdNTraild



30 years have passed since the death of Celestia, and Equestria is changing once more. On order from part of the Cutie Map, the Little Mane 6 go on a journey outside of Equestria's borders, to experience the land beyond Twilight Sparkle's gaze.

  • ...
1
 4
 422

Ch.3: Her Majesty, Princess Mystic Amethyst

Author's Note:

Apologies for this chapter being so short! I just felt like it was more appropriate to end it on this note rather than drag it out :D

Also, brief Twilight POV! We'll return to Mystic next chapter.

"Citizens of Equestria!" Twilight had begun, speaking over the balcony to the creatures below.

Ponies, dragons, griffins, hippogriffs, yaks, changelings, and everything in between were gathered below. As Twilight began to speak, the crowd broke out in a cacophony of cheering and good words for the empress. She was surprised with the amount of support, still not quite used to it even now. She silently wondered if Celestia and Luna had ever felt like this. She glanced back behind her, seeing Luna and Cadance on either side of her, standing in the doorway. Luna gave her an approving nod, and Cadance echoed the nod alongside the night princess. Twilight swallowed her nerves so she could face the crowd again.

"We have had a rough time in these last few years," She said as the crowd calmed. "With the war and the death of Princess Celestia, things have been very hard for us all. The cycle of day and night does not quite feel the same, but today I would like to remedy this despair, to bring forth hope and harmony to every creature! This day has been very long coming, and for years I have tried to make this happen. While we have been set back before, we have finally achieved something to be grateful for, something that will give us the hope we need for our future!"

Once more the crowd broke out in cheers. Twilight could almost hear the excited buzzing of the wings few of the creatures had. She couldn't help but laugh as they screamed their cheers and flew around in circles and loops. She heard the doors down the hall open, and she turned as the mares of the hour finally came in. Her daughter Mystic, and her wife Rarity. She was surprised to see Mystic in such regality; she was sure that she denied it like mad. She had expected her to decline the gown and wear the guard uniform she was so used to, but regardless, she looked beautiful. Twilight smiled at her, and did not feel hurt when Mystic didn't smile back. The mare instead lowered her ears and head, and looked to the side with flushed cheeks. She knew her daughter too well; this was going to be hard. She turned again to speak to the crowd outside.

"This event is going to leave a mark for us all," She said. "For the first time in several decades, we have a new princess that you all may look to. She will inspire, and bring hope to us all." She could hear Mystic growl behind her, but she ignored it. "From this day forth, we have a new Princess of Friendship to take my place. As I am the Empress now, I cannot handle these duties as well as before, but now she may instead take my duties forth."

She heard Mystic bite back an argument against Rarity as she was shoved forth. Twilight stepped out of the way, allowing Mystic to step forth as she finalized the event.

"Citizens of Equestria, please welcome Princess Mystic Amethyst, the new Princess of Friendship!" Twilight announced before Mystic could peek over the railing.

As Mystic finally stepped onto the balcony, allowing the creatures around to see her in full view, the screaming cheers of around were even more deafening than when Twilight had stood on the balcony herself. She would've joined them if only she wasn't directly beside her. She patted Mystic's back as she lifted the silver tiara specially made for her daughter in her magic. Mystic stared her in the eyes, the emotions buried within her pupils a chaotic mess, but Twilight knew Mystic was not happy to be here. Not happy about the dress, or the hairstyle, the cheers of the crowd, the speech she was soon to give, or even the title of princess.

"You'll be fine," Twilight assured her, and kissed her forehead as she lowered the tiara onto Mystic's head, ensuring that it held in her hair and rested on her head.

"Sure," Mystic mumbled, a hiss clearly lodged in her throat.

"Trust me. Now talk to them," Twilight gently nudged the mare, deciding to ignore Mystic's death glare for now. Mystic took a deep breath as she put her hooves up on the balcony, her horn ever faintly glowing as she used her magic to properly project her voice.

"Citizens of Equestria," She began just as Twilight did. Her eyes cast around the crowd, happy they hadn't interrupted her with cheering. She forced a smile, but only Twilight could tell it was forced; no pony else knew her daughter like she did. "To be fully honest, I'm still not sure about this whole 'princess' thing, but since I have the title now, i-it's in my best interest to try and live up to it to the fullest extent. I'm not a pony who's going to force myself to do good when I know it isn't possible, and I'm bound to make mistakes. But, my family believes in me, and their legacy will help me be able to accomplish great things on my own. Their mistakes and their lessons will help me with my own mistakes and my own lessons. From this day and onwards, I can change further. Few of you know who I really am deep down. Rude, snappy, and blunt, yeah I've heard it all before, but maybe this 'princess' thing has a chance to change that. Every creature here can help me change too."

The crowd broke out in cheers again, and Twilight could imagine how hard Mystic's heart was beating now as her ears pressed back. The chetwode blue mare looked back at Twilight with glossy eyes, clearly on the verge of tears induced by her anxiety. Twilight could only offer a comforting nod, not wanting to interrupt her speech. Mystic took a deep breath and sighed before she faced the crowd again.

"I know it's an adjustment for us all," Mystic finally continued, horn sparking again. "And I've really been holding things off because of school and other personal matters, but I'm not going to deny my place any further. With you all as my subjects, I don't expect you to look at me like I'm some god or greater being. At the very least, I want to earn the respect that you'd give to my family. I don't care about being regal and royal, I care about my subjects, and I just want you all to care about me the same."

Mystic pulled her hooves from the railing to signal the end of her speech. When she did so, the crowd erupted in joyous bellows. She turned, and began to walk away, her body clearly shaking. Twilight chose to follow her, the empty balcony being the signal of the ceremony's end. Fireworks burst in the sky outside, and Mystic's name rang out amongst the cheering creatures.

"Are you alright?" Twilight asked her as they walked together.

"Fine," Mystic grumbled, her nervousness still in her voice. Few tears slipped down her face, which were caught and wiped away by Twilight's wing. "But you know that was a load of bullshit, right? Everything I said?"

"Maybe it was," Twilight said with a shrug. "Maybe it wasn't. Maybe you were speaking from the heart and you don't know it yet. You'll be a fine princess, just don't stress about it."

"Too late for that," Mystic said with a sigh. "Every creature in Equestria and my friends have seen me look the stupidest today, and they'll never let me forget it. I'll remember this for the rest of my life, even if they don't pester me with reminders."

"You could've not worn the dress," Twilight hummed.

"I didn't want Rarity to feel bad," Mystic shook her head, flinging the pearls in her mane all over the floor. Her hair very quickly fell apart, falling in waves around her body as they always did. She put her bun back up as she kept speaking. "She already had the dress made, and I think my armor needs adjustments anyways. Can I please take this thing off so that I can be re-fitted?"

"Alright," Twilight sighed. "We planned to have you walk amongst the crowd with your dress on and give you time to meet with your subjects, but your comfort is more important. If you don't feel comfortable in the dress, you can take it off."

"Oh thank fucking god!" Mystic sighed with relief as she tore the dress off over her head. Luckily she didn't rip it and only turned it inside out. Her magic flashed as she teleported it to god knows where, hopefully far from Canterlot, and her horn continued to glow while she fixed her tail. When she was done, her magic fizzled out and she rubbed her head.

"I am never wearing a dress again," Mystic hissed. She sat on the floor, rubbing her temples with her forehooves. "Fuck, ow..."

"Is your head hurting?" Rarity stepped over when she noticed Mystic rubbing her head.

"Everything is hurting," Mystic hissed. "My meds are wearing off, so I feel like I'm on fucking fire."

"Calm down the swearing, please," Twilight asked gently. "Now, Rarity, you can give her some low-dose pills, just two will be fine. Any more and it might conflict with what's already in her system. Get her to take them, and then take her down to see Tempest Shadow so she can get her armor re-fitted. She wants to wear it instead of the dress while she walks through the crowd."

"Ah, her medicine is wearing off, that explains the attitude." Rarity nodded her head. "Are you and the other princesses going to busy the crowd?"

"Yes, we'll keep them busy until Tempest brings Mystic out," Twilight said with a smile.

"Oh, Twilight, I've been meaning to ask as well..." Rarity drew circles on the floor with her hoof. "Where is Flurry Heart? Princess Skyla was able to make it to the coronation today, and we know how she is with Mystic. Why didn't Cadance bring Flurry?"

"I can explain," Princess Cadance overheard the conversation, and stepped over to join the small crowd of ponies. "Flurry Heart took an oath that she won't leave the Crystal Empire unless it's an emergency situation. She has a big fear of disaster in the kingdom, and we'd rather not force her to come if it puts her comfort in jeopardy. It's alright though, we can ask some of the photographer and filmmaker ponies if they have pictures and video of the event. We can bring copies of those back for her to see."

"Oh, I see," Twilight said with a chuckle. "If I was in her place, I would probably just be too paranoid to leave. I hope she's doing alright running the kingdom without you, Shining, or Skyla there. Is Earthquake there as well?"

"No," Cadance shook her head. "According to Skyla, he lives in PonyVille. She doesn't elaborate very much on the details."

"Mom, can we leave please?" Mystic tapped Rarity's shoulder as irritation flared in her eyes and she returned to her hooves. "I don't want to interrupt your gossip, but my wings are heavier than steel balls right now, and I'd rather get my shit together before I go to prison for attacking someone."

"Right, right," Rarity waved her hoof. "Apologies everypony, but Mystic's medicine is wearing off, so we need to give her some light painkillers. She's asked for her armor to be re-fitted as well. We'll return once we're done, you can meet us outside."

"Understood," Cadance nodded to the fashionista. "And Mystic, please don't destroy anything?"

"No promises," Mystic hissed. She spun on her hooves and walked to the door with heavy hoofsteps. "Let's pray to god I don't."

Cadance sighed, turning and making her own way to the staircase leading outside. Twilight kissed Rarity on the cheek before following Cadance. Rarity quickly trotted to catch up to Mystic, and patted her on the back as gently as she could once she caught up. She wanted to provide her some form of comfort while they went down the hall, on their way to visit General Tempest Shadow...