• Published 17th Jul 2021
  • 1,601 Views, 54 Comments

Instant Mom - GoebelTron



An expecting Principal Celestia finds a troubled 11th grade student in need of help, along with his little sister.

  • ...
7
 54
 1,601

Chapter 1 - Trying To Help A Student In Need

One early afternoon on a nice sunny day, with a pen in her hand and a few paperwork on the desk and having a huge amount of emails and outlooks on her computer, Principal Celestia of Canterlot High began signing away her daily round of paperwork and checking her emails and outlooks on her computer.

“Hmph, always with these tasks,” she sighed in boredom. “Hopefully I can get them done.”

As principal, it felt like it wasn’t the same when she enjoyed her days as a school teacher, except there were also times that she wished to go back to her original occupation, but the school board saw her suitably fit to be principal of this school. It also gave her something to do and she didn’t want to be a slouch most of the time while working responsibly.

After finishing up one stack and then another, she quickly checked her computer for something new, until she looked at her outlooks and sent a few back. After she was finished with the computer work, she continued to the next stack, but was stopped by a sudden kick from within her.

Glancing down, she pushed herself back while sitting on her chair, and then rubbed her big round belly, calming the life within her, who was no doubt wanting to meet its mother now.

She began to hum a calming melody while gently rocking back and forth on her chair and rubbing her belly as she took a moment away from her work. It was three months away from its arrival, and Celestia couldn’t be more happier. But suddenly, an unexpected feeling of both underlying sadness and concerning depression crept up on her lips, and changed her smile into a frown.

Celestia sighed depressingly. “Well, chalk it up to a one night stand for a woman to end up like this. But hopefully, it can’t get any worse,” Celestia groaned as she stared out towards the sunlit landscape outside her window, and then looked down at her belly rubbing it with both hands with a motherly smile on her face. “Since that knucklehead just can’t take more responsibility… Soon, sweetie. Soon, it’ll be just you, me, and your Auntie Luna.”

The door then creaked open and through it entered Luna, Celestia’s younger sister and the vice principal of Canterlot High. Noticing her sister’s behavior, she walked over and rested a hand on her shoulder for comfort.

Ever since their parents died years ago, they were inseparable and had no choice but to live with their aunt under one roof in some quiet suburb.

When it was somehow known to her that her eldest sister was pregnant, she didn’t hesitate or complain to offer her assistance to help raising her future niece or nephew.

“Still feeling stressed out, sister?” Luna asked. “You do realize all that stress isn’t good for the baby.”

“I know, Luna. I just wished that guy hadn’t skipped town and took responsibility more,” Celestia sighed, as she looked at her belly again. “I’m probably gonna have to go onto maternity leave before the end of the month, because I think I’m nearly there.”

“Well, some time off for you could help calm your nerves,” Luna said.

“True,” Celestia sighed as she sat on her seat, stressed and tired. “It’s just… When I found out I was pregnant, I contemplated on giving it up when he or she would be born until you stepped in and offered to help. Until after they, I somehow knew I really wouldn’t give it up for the world. I just didn’t know what to do.” Without warning, Luna leaned down on one knee and gave her older sister a hug.

“I know you’ll be a great and proud mother, sister. Because you took the reins when our parents died in that accident years ago, and when we went to live with our auntie.” Gently rubbing her hand on her sister’s belly, Luna felt a kick from the life within, until she smiled it possibly knew who she was. “I can tell that it’s anxiously eager to meet you.”

“Sometimes, I consider you to be wiser than I am, but I’m glad to have you help me find a way to make me feel better,” Celestia said, while she rubbed her belly with Luna. “So, what do you need?”

“Well, apart from that short scuffle between two students and a teacher in one of the hallways, but one student got caught falling asleep in class again,” Luna said.

“You mean Gregory Bryant?” For a while, the principals knew about the junior high school student. About two weeks ago, he had trouble staying awake during classes. It somehow shocked them because they saw him as a great student with nice grades. But even so, he’s been somehow socially withdrawn, socially as a result of his fatigued state. As of this moment, it has somehow become a huge cause of concern for them, while Celestia placed her fingers on her lips. “That poor boy… So, do you think you could bring him here then?”

“No, I’ve already sent a referral to Mr. Cranky Doodle about him. Once the day is over, I’ll check in and then he’ll be sent over here,” Luna replied.

“Good,” Celestia said, laying back in her chair. “Hopefully, we can help him with his personal issues.” Luna nodded and left the room while Celestia continued her work before taking another break.


An hour and several minutes later, the final bell rang throughout the halls. The sounds of all the students chattering filled the air. Soon, the doorknob turned and the door opened. Through it, entered a 17 year old boy with an average build, standing up to five feet tall, brown eyes, and dark brown disheveled hair. He wore a dark sports gray hoodie with blackish blue stripes on the sleeves, a pale powdered bluish gray shirt with blackish blue rings over it, black jeans, and dark gray converse all star slip on sneakers. His face looked really tired and very weary. They knew right away that he was Gregory Bryant.

“Oh, Mr. Bryant, we’ve been expecting you.” Celestia warmly greeted in a motherly tone, gesturing at the couch by the wall. “Please, make yourself comfortable.” Gregory complied as he then sat down. His face was filled with exhaustion from lack of sleep and worry feeling if he did something wrong.

“Am I in trouble?” He softly asked.

“No, dear,” Luna spoke up. “We’re just both concerned that some of your teachers said to us that they’ve somehow seen you unexpectedly napping during class time for the past few weeks.” Immediately, Gregory’s eyes lit up with shock and visible panic, concerning the two principals. They somehow began to suspect something was up with him.

“I-I’m sorry! I swear it won’t happen again!” He stuttered; eyes glancing from side to side, and then he felt more exhausted.

“Don’t fret. We’re not mad at you, even in the slightest.” As the 11th grade student lowered his head in shame with a moaning grumble, Celestia got up and took a seat next to him and began rubbing his back. It felt calm and relaxing but did little to help ease his nerves. He then folded his arms together and crossed them onto his lap. “Look, I’m not lying when I’m saying that you’re a really great student. You really are, and you have some amazing grade marks and to jeopardize that so close to graduating all the way to high school really worries us. So please, allow us to help you. Could it be something going on at home that’s troubling you?”

The last bit made Gregory freeze in place and his heart to suddenly skip another beat. How did they suspect that it was the case so fast? The fear and shock inside made him start to bred a few drops of sweat. He knew that they were right on point about what was bothering him so much, but to get both his parents, especially his little sister, was the last thing he wanted. It was really bad enough that he had to put up with stress on the home front sooner than later.

“N-No, ma’am,” he stuttered nervously. “I swear… it’s really nothing at home, honest.” The two principals took a good look at him and knew that he wasn’t telling the truth. His posture, eyes, body language, and speech patterns all started to betray his words. Having a better future in high school and earning a bachelor’s degree in science, Luna knew that right away. “I swear it’s the truth.”

“Mr. Bryant, my sister and I don’t mean to sound antagonistic when I say you aren’t being honest, but you’re sounding like you’re not truly being honest with us,” Luna said, kneeling in front of him and feeling visibly concerned while stroking his shoulder with her hand. “Look, once again we aren’t mad at you in the slightest. Not at all, to be honest. We’re just concerned about your wellbeing. I know that you’ve been doing your schoolwork well, and study hard for every test, but you somehow get in other situations that trouble you, and I suspect that might be a sign that things at home aren’t going well for you. Please, let us help you so you’ll be able to move on to high school.”

Feeling visibly uncomfortable, Gregory began to fidget around. He felt like he was being pressured by the two principals to answer them truthfully. Even though he recognized their intentions were purely noble, somewhere in the back of his mind felt that they wouldn’t be able to do anything about his problem.

“Ms. Celestia, Ms. Luna,” Gregory said with a sigh. “I know you both mean well and want to help me.” Gregory said, until he continued. “I appreciate your help. I do. It’s just that… I don’t want to put any of you in a position where you all won’t be able to do anything.”

Luna and Celestia were shocked about what he said. “What? Look, trust us when we say that we too have your best interests at heart. We want to do all we can t-”

NO! LOOK! I UNDERSTAND YOU WANT TO HELP, BUT YOU JUST CAN’T!” The outburst somehow shook both Celestia and Luna. His facial expression spelled frustration, depression and fear. “You can’t… I just can’t… It’s too hard to explain,” Gregory said before feeling broken down in tears, until he hung his head once more before getting up with his backpack in his arm and then both straps around both his shoulders. As much as they tried to stop him, Celestia and Luna knew that aggravatingly instigating him would not be wise, but make it worse even more. “I don’t want you to end up like I am.”

“I understand, but listen. If you ever need us to talk to, we’ll listen, okay?” Celestia said sweetly, with her hand on his shoulder. Gregory nodded and then she smiled warmly at him. “You can go now, Mr. Bryant. Take care.” Gregory nodded and then left the office so he can go home and get some rest for tomorrow.

Without him noticing, neither of them said a word as Gregory walked out, not even a whisper. ’Why would he act so hostile towards others offering to help? What did he have to hide?’ They both thought to themselves, until they realized that they should get going as well, so they packed up their stuff and went to their van to go home.


At the house, they sat in the living room drinking some coffee, but Celestia didn’t mind since she was pregnant. They were still thinking about Gregory’s problem and how to help him.

“I just don’t understand, Tia,” Luna sighed. “For sure, we now know that it’s definitely a home issue with him. But yet, he’s confident and somehow resistant.”

“Yes. I’m afraid so,” Celestia agreed with a worried frown on her lips. “But in him I sensed fear and an apprehensive feeling… like he’s feeling ashamed of something.”

“Well, we might’ve just rendered any different opportunities to confront him directly with our offer to help impossible, so I’d suggest you come up with another idea,” Luna said with her arms crossed.

“Yes, I can see that,” Celestia said. “But still, we’ve got to keep trying.” She then realized something else, “Oh! I almost forgot. We were supposed to have that dinner invite with Dean Cadance at our house tonight. Maybe we can ask her what she’d do.”

Luna nodded in agreement with a soft sigh, “I hope your right, Tia. I humbly don’t enjoy seeing that poor boy’s future crash and burn before it begins soon. He’s got one more year of high school left after this semester, until he finally graduates.” Celestia nodded and they both enjoyed their coffee and then a few hours later, while Celestia was suddenly napping with her bare feet on the couch and a blanket wrapped around her legs, Luna quietly took the van and went to get some groceries for dinner tonight while Celestia stayed behind due to her pregnancy, and decided to nap for a few more minutes so she can rest from working all day.

Later that night…

After Luna came home from the grocery store, she came in with the groceries, consisting an entire roasted chicken so that they can reheat it in the oven and cut it into pieces, and some vegetables for a salad to go with it. While Luna started cooking, there was a knock on the door, which Celestia answered. Opening the door, she was greeted by a warm smile and embrace from Dean Cadance, who was still as young and beautiful as ever.

Ever since the last Friendship Games, both of them got along outside work as they always do until their rivalry ended when both schools won the games. There were many times when she, Luna, and Celestia would find a proper time for a get-together or just to hang out with each other somewhere.

“Celestia,” Cadance said, breaking the hug. “How are you since we’ve last seen each other from the Friendship Games?”

“I’m doing okay,” Celestia replied. “Just ending another busy work week, as usual.” As Celestia rubbed her belly, Cadance took notice and rubbed it as well with her friend’s approval. “I only have two more months left, including my maternity leave, and I’m just so excited.”

“I’m happy for you, Celestia. In fact, with you in this state, you somehow remind me of when I was pregnant with Flurry Heart.” Cadance giggled, retracting her hand from Celestia’s belly. The gesture somehow made Celestia smile, knowing her colleagues support her as well. “So eager yet anxious, I can really tell that I can somehow see in your eyes that you’ll be a great mother soon.”

“Thank you, Cadance. I was also wondering if anything happened at Crystal Prep,” Celestia said.

“Well, ever since we both declared each other winners, Cinch decided to quit her job, and since we’ve moved on from the rivalry, I decided to take over as principal, so it’s now Principal Cadance,” she said.

“True. True. But I’m glad to hear things are working out well at your school,” Celestia said.

“If you two are finished chatting, dinner is now ready to be served,” Luna said, calling from the kitchen. Celestia and Cadance took their seats at the table, while Luna carried a tray full of an entire roasted and baked chicken but cut into pieces, and on the side were buttered rotini noodles and a fresh salad chopped with both green and red cabbages, cucumber, tomatoes, radishes, carrots shreds, bread cubes, and red onions, and topped with an Italian vinaigrette dressing.

Since their youth, Luna and Celestia were both taught by their aunt how to cook. The favorite food they like to make was from the internet. Since her sister’s pregnancy, Luna took over the cooking duties. “Well, here we are, roasted and baked chicken pieces with a side of butter noodles and a vinaigrette dressed salad. Help yourselves.”

All throughout dinner, the three principals ate the comforting meal together. Celestia, in her pregnancy, had extra helpings with her plate of food. They shared various topics such as work and family. Many lighthearted and joyful laughs were shared at the table. As much as she wanted to enjoy the fun, Celestia’s talk with the student couldn’t escape her mind. As any principal would, she worried about what was troubling him as did Luna.

“And that’s why Shining Armor refuses to go near a bear while camping ever again!” Cadance laughed as she took a sip of her water. “He just screamed like a little girl as it pummeled him but left him still breathing!”

“Amusing,” Luna replied with a giggle, taking another bite from her plate. “Here, I thought Shining Armor would be normally stoic nowadays.”

“Well, he is but he isn’t completely that way, but I still love my Shining.” As Cadance took a sip of her drink, she noticed Celestia looking down at her plate, twirling the remaining buttered pasta noodle with a frown on her face. She started feeling concerned about her colleague’s mood, “Celestia, why are you upset? Is something bothering you?”

Having been wanting to talk about the issue with her, Celestia let out a sigh and then nudged her plate away.

“Well, Cadance…” she started. “…have you ever dealt with problems from other students who would refuse help, even though they show that they need it?”

Cadance then thought for a moment and then replied, “Well, I’ve dealt with that sort of thing a few times or so. Sometimes, it takes a bit of perseverance, but they’ll eventually relent that offer. Why do you ask?”

“There’s this student in the 11th grade semester. Gregory Bryant. As of late, his teachers have seen him dozing off in class by napping,” Celestia answered.

“I see. Did you try talking to him personally?” Cadance asked.

“We did, Cadance,” Luna stated. “However, he was very adamant on not telling us, because he had a strong heart, but was feeling fear from within. When we asked him if it had something to do with his home life, he somehow snapped at us and left, without saying a word. From there, we knew the root of the issue was at home.”

“Are you going to talk to him again, Celestia?” Cadance asked.

“I think that’s going to be out of the cards, so I’m afraid not. We both agreed that we’ve scared him off from us,” Celestia sighed with exhaustion. “We’ve figured that since you’ve had more experience in that regard, you would give us some advice on how we can help him, so please. Tell us what we can do to help the poor boy.”

While taking a momentary pause to brainstorm some ideas for a solution, Cadance began to carefully think about their situation. Having been the Dean of Crystal Prep Academy for some time before transitioning into Principal, she somehow got familiar with some of the behaviors a student would unexpectedly feel. However, she recognized that one would need to immediately resort to some less than attractive or interesting methods that could help get stuff accomplished successfully. If it’s for the sake of a student in need of help, then so be it, because she wouldn’t fret about drawbacks or back down from a different perspective. Suddenly, an idea popped into her head.

“Well, Celestia,” Cadance spoke up. “There’s this one ancient Chinese phrase that my grandparents’ neighbor would often quote whenever something or someone is in need: “Juéwàng de shídài xūyào juéwàng de cuòshī”. It originally means “Desperate times call for desperate measures”.”

“Cadance, what are you talking about?” Celestia asked.

“Well, I’m saying you might have to resort to some…” she made her two fingers with both hands in a quotation gesture, “…‘unconventional’ methods if he’s too afraid or resistant as you say. But since his problem lies at his home front, start from there.” Right away, Luna knew exactly what Cadance implied, and never would she consider such a thing like that before!

“Cadance, are you suggesting we should spy on him?!” Luna gasped in shock. “He’s only 17!”

Cadance sighed and then spoke up, “Yes, Luna, and I know he’s only a boy. But I’m not going to make this superficially attractive or acceptable, if I plan to sugarcoat it either. But if the issue with the student truthfully lies at the home front, you’ll need to start with his parents, but just follow them around for a day, and don’t let them notice you’re far behind. So unless you have a better idea of what to do, I’m all ears.”

“Hmm… Well, be as it may, I honestly just find the idea to be completely wrong and irrelevant. What do you think, sister?” Luna asked, relying on Celestia for guidance.

For things to be dealt with either emotional or occupational issues, she would be there with some words of wisdom backing her up from inside. While her head simply objected to such an idea given by Cadance, her heart was telling her to do the right thing, even if it meant resorting to motherly instinct methods. She was somehow torn and didn’t what to do at all.

“Luna, I think Cadance might have a point,” Celestia said. “Besides, we know that confronting Gregory would be too difficult now when we tried earlier today and until it didn’t go too well. Though it’s morally wrong, I honestly see no other option, so frankly, we have no choice. I just want to see the poor student move on to high school and graduate successfully.”

Luna sighed as her sister said her piece. Like Celestia, she too held the same concern for the student. Even though she’s more orderly then her sister, her heart would sometimes override her judgement and tell her what’s right or wrong. After a moment of inner thought, she concluded her thinking and confirmed that it was the only way they’ll find out what was wrong. For her, the expectations and welfare of a student held greater immediate importance than her morals.

“Okay, Tia. I’ll trust you and Cadance on this one,” Luna said in confirmation, conceding to her sister’s smile. “I would say that starting maybe Monday afternoon would be the most optional and optimal time to start our investigation.”

“Alright, Luna,” Celestia replied with her hand on her sister’s shoulder. “You’ve made the right decision.”

“But the worst part is that I’ve checked his file,” Luna said. “The part of town he lives in is nearby one spot which is not among the nicest places to live in. The town next to it is also a high crime area, but they live next to it. In your condition, I much rather not have you put yourself and your unborn child at such a big grave dangerous risk, so I suggest that you let me handle this one.”

“Don’t worry, sister. Plus, I can take care of myself just fine,” Celestia sighed warmly with a smile of relief while gently rubbing her full belly. “I’ll go to work on Monday while you trail his parents, and what their problem is. I just hope you can handle it without being caught.”

“You don’t need to worry about me, Tia. I’ll be just fine,” Luna replied. “Of all the times I was picked on during middle school, high school, and college, I learned how to defend myself without violence. Just go to work and take care of yourself and the baby and I’ll report to you if I find out about anything I see or hear. I can assure you that I can definitely take care of myself, and so can you.”

“Luna… I don’t know what I’d be without you. Thank you so much for your help.” With a sisterly embrace, Luna and Celestia bid Cadance a goodnight as sunset fell upon the town. “Cadance, thank you too for your help,” Celestia said. “It’s always nice to help someone in need, Celestia. I just have high hopes you can do it without getting caught, so good luck. Goodnight, you two,” Cadance said, as she left the house, walked to her car and drove home.

With the weekend about begin, it would definitely be a good time for Celestia and Luna to calm their minds and prepare for their investigation. While Celestia has high hopes for Gregory’s better future in possession, she tried her very best to see that he was given the help he needed.