• Published 23rd Jul 2021
  • 1,209 Views, 28 Comments

Chains Of Gold - Dawn Leaper



Immortality was both a blessing a and a curse. Chains of gold that bound Twilight to this life. And she dared not break them out of fear of what lay beyond the fall.

  • ...
3
 28
 1,209

Nothing Is Permanent Except Change

'There's been an undeniable truth,
Since before we even existed;
Nothing stays the same.
Change cannot be resisted.'


"Treble, no," Petal Dusk tried to reason with the gigantic, tawny-hued pegasus, who was currently holding their most recent expedition recovery above his head in a distressingly precarious manner.

"Treble, yes!" He replied, his voice deep as he enthusiastically waved the delicate, glass vase above his head.

"Treble, no," Ice Spice cut in, flapping her wings to hover coaxingly beside him above the Table of Friendship.

"Treble... maybe?" Treble's smile fell a bit, as he swung the vase out of Ice's reach.

"Treble- no." Luster sighed, crossing her arms as she raised her eyebrows at her friend.

"Treble, no." Treble mumbled, pouting as he handed the vase back to Ice Spice, who clutched it delicately to her chest.

"I know you're trying to help, Treble, I really do. And we appreciate it guys, don't we?" She looked round the table at the rest of her friends, who all nodded. "But you know how sometimes you can be a bit clumsy, and I don't know about you, but I don't really fancy another run-in with the Spirits of the Loutrophorus."

Treble, ever true to his Element, chuckled light-heartedly, brushing off easily what other, shallower ponies might taken offense at, even at Luster's kind words. "Treble still help, though."

"Of course, dear," Tilivette piped up, brushing her long waves of silky red mane over her shoulder. "In fact, you are simply the most helpful, generous pony I've ever met-"

"Yeah, says the freakin' Element of Generosity," Ice Spice chuckled, "she can't stop herself."

Tili scoffed, as Petal raised a quiet wingtip to her lips and smiled.

"Well I don't think we should mess around with ancient artefacts any more," Marble Touch put in honestly, her short, white mane falling neatly behind her ears. "What are we even doing in the Hall of Spectacles anyway?"

The six of them were standing in a long, high-ceilinged room, lined with precious, ancient monuments, manuscripts and artefacts placed delicately on stone pedestals. All sorts of boon and magical bric-a-bric generations of Elements of Harmony had collected over the centuries lay in the Hall. From the deathly-sharp longsword Heartsworn that could never miss its opponent's heart, to the legendary Book of Grey, hoofwritten by Starswirl the Bearded himself, the hall was not somewhere to casually hang out, and was closely guarded at all times.

Even now, one of the blue-crested guards at the end of the Hall was eyeing Treble suspiciously. The forest-maned pegasus only waved happily at him. The six of them were seated at a long, rectangular table in the middle of the room, littered with books and pieces of parchment long outdated.

"Oh, the Princess told Luster she had something to tell all of us," Petal voiced quietly, blushing as they all turned to look at her. "Right, Luster?"

"Yup," Luster nodded. "She should be here any moment now."

"I wonder where she is, Princess Twilight is usually very punctual-" Tilivette started, before being cut off by the sound of doors opening.

Twilight Sparkle strode through the large double doors at the entrance of the Hall, approaching the large table.

Luster saw her friends sit up a little straighter in the presence of the Princess, and she herself corrected her posture self-consciously- not that Twilight would notice, of course.

"Good afternoon, my little ponies," Twilight smiled at them all, and Treble waved back.

"Good afternoon, Princess," Luster grinned back at her mentor.

"I hope everypony is doing well," Twilight began, "and I'm sure you're wondering why I asked you all to here this afternoon. So I shall get right to it. The truth of the matter is that I have something very important that I must discuss with you all- if that's okay."

"'Course it is, Princess," Ice Spice said, "shoot."

"Very well." Twilight smiled, and used her telekinesis to place a fairly large, black velvet chest on the table. Luster hadn't even realised she had been carrying it. "It is something I have been meaning to do for a while now."

They all leaned in curiously as Twilight continued.

"As you know, four years ago, I appointed you all as the succeeding Elements of Harmony- or rather, you proved yourselves to be capable volunteers. And I've have sincerely enjoyed watching you all grow into your roles as the Elements."

"Are we getting... fired or something?" Tili laughed nervously.

"Goodness, no," Twilight chuckled, "quite the opposite, in fact."

Using her magic, she opened the black velvet box and brought out the five Elemental necklaces, as well as the Tiara of Magic, much smaller and detailed than the one that currently rested atop the monarch's head.

"You all know that I myself have been the Bearer of Magic since the Elements of Harmony were first resurrected," Twilight said, directing her violet-coloured irises at each one of them. They nodded, listening intently as she continued.

"And yet, recently I have come to the realisation that perhaps I am no longer suited to the role."

"But Princess," Marble exclaimed, "you are an amazing leader!"

"Thank you, Marble Touch," Twilight smiled, "but it was not my own talents I was referencing. There is something much more important than simply having skill and prowess when it comes to being an Element- friendship. And although I am sure we are all on pleasant terms, the strongest bond will come from the most tightly-knit group of ponies."

They all looked at each other, slightly confused.

"Luster has often stepped in my place when the Elements have been called out to protect the freedom and welfare of Equestria. I think it is now time she took that place permanently... if, of course, she so desires."

"You... you're giving me your Element?" Luster asked, her jaw gaping.

Twilight nodded, smiling. "It is high time I did so. You six have a connection I have not seen since... well, since my own friends and I."

"But I thought- isn't the Princess the Element of Magic?" Tilivette asked, frowning. "Isn't it supposed to be the best sorcerer? Or the one with the most knowledge?"

"No," Twilight answered. "Not necessarily. You forgot that there was a time, under Celunian rule, where the Head of State and the Consitution of Harmony were two separate things. I myself was made the Element of Magic under the guidance of Princess Celestia, from whom I still had much to learn."

"Woah..." Luster grinned ear-to-ear, turning to face her friends.

"So, Luster," Twilight smiled, "I suppose there is only one question I can ask you."

Luster Dawn straightened her back as Twilight hovered the necklaces in front of all her other friends respectively, and hovered the tiara- the beautiful, ancient tiara that meant so much symbolically and powerfully- right in front of her.

She recognised this ceremony. She had seen her own friends go through the ritual four year ago.

"Luster Aspen Dawn. Do you accept the honour of being named an Element of Harmony?"

"I do." Luster beamed.

"Do you accept the responsibilities of Harmony?"

"I do."

"Do you pledge to defend Equestrian peace until your last breath?"

"I do."

"Will you always, always see the value of Friendship, and see faith wherever you go?"

"I will."

"Then close your eyes, and focus very hard." Twilight said, her voice fading as Luster fluttered her eyelids shut.

"I need you to concentrate, Luster. Think of a memory for me. A happy memory, one with your friends and family and the people you love."

It was Hearthwarming's Eve, and Luster was making gingerbread with her friends. The kitchen was lit with strips of golden fairy light, and smelt of candied oranges and treacle. She had flour on her nose, and her mom reached over to brush it away. Everything was sweet and warm and bright, her friends were laughing...

"Now take those feelings, those emotions. Concentrate on them. Prove to the Element that your mind is strong enough, the connections you have with your friends is strong enough."

In the back of her eyelids, Luster saw an image of a star, burning bright and lilac against the darkness behind it. She reached out to it, but it seemed to dissipate just as she reached it, holding back on something- or holding back to something, as if it was not willing to leave its original bearer.

She reached our again, but still the star danced just out of perception, leaving glimmering clues but never quite materialising. Sensing this, the Princess spoke again.

"Try a different memory," Twilight continued confidently, her voice calm and unfazed. "Think of a time that really resonated with you, that showed you the true power of Friendship..."

And the scene turned darker. Her friends disappeared, and it was just her in the kitchen by herself, listening to her parents argue in the hall. The counter top was lit up by the moonlight shining thinly through the windows, the shattering of rain assaulting the frosted panes, and when she could bear the yelling no longer, she open the door and fled up to her room, slamming the door shut. The rain roared as it crashed against the windowsill. And she thought that if broken dreams had a sound, that would be it.

The next day at school, her friends knew something was wrong. And as they coaxed her into talking about it, as she spilled all of her fears and worries and sadnesses, as she told them how her life was falling apart, they rubbed her on the back and offered her tissues and murmured comforting words and told her it was all going to be alright, even when they weren't sure it was.

But... it did turn out all right. And they were there for her every step of the way.

The star pulsed, emanating waves of frozen-sunlight, coming closer and closer until she could no longer see anything but the burning glory of it, succumbing to the blinding light. It felt warm and rich and solid.

Suddenly she was jolted out of her trance- she hadn't even been aware she was unconscious. She opened her eyes to see her friends peering at her anxiously, and her mentor smiling at her like... like a mother would a daughter. With a special kind of pride.

Feeling a soft, comforting weight atop her head, she gently lifted a hoof up, feeling the intricate shape of the tiara on her head. Conjuring a mirror from thin air, Twilight held it up in front of her, so she could see the beautiful, crested golden headpiece with the Magical Star emblem centred in the middle resting behind her ears.

"Elements of Harmony," Twilight said, and her voice reminded Luster of something ancient, stirring and powerful.

"I present to you... the new Element of Magic."

Author's Note:

Hola chicas y chicos! Another chapter here, keeping it short and sweet. Finally I'm nearly on X-mas hols so hopefully a lot more chapters coming in quicker succession! I anticipate this story will only need two more chapters, and I also can't wait to post another one-shot I have lined up!!

• Generosity = Tilivette
• Kindness = Petal Dusk
• Loyalty = Ice Spice
• Laughter = Treble
• Magic = Luster
• Honesty = Marble Touch

Dawn x

Ps poetry credit - MS. Moem