• Published 7th Jul 2021
  • 476 Views, 2 Comments

Shedding Scales and Spreading Wings - Miss Vixen



After Barbara (R63 Spike) get's her heart broken by Rarity, She flees to Canterlot to find herself.

  • ...
 2
 476

Chapter 2

Barb pushed open the old door to the apartment that she and twilight stayed in for most of their younger years. Tossing her suitcase off to the side, she plopped down onto the lown bed, kicking up a layer of dust.

"*Cough* All right no time to rest. Clearly, the maids are still in fear of the wrath of the infamous Twilight and her organization habits that they still haven't come in here after all these years." Surveying the room to form an attack plan, Barb set out to tidy up and make space for her stuff and not just hers and Twilights.

Surfaces were dusted, floors polished, and any loose items were put away. Finally, Barb could start working on her own suitcase. Wheeling it over towards a dressing and opening it, she was hit with a reminder of how little of an identity she had. Polos of muted single-tone colors, khakis that weren't any more interesting. Thinking back, if she had left anything behind, but no. She had brought all her clothes with her. Enough for a week and a half of clean clothes. 'Do I not even own a T-shirt?' Barb wondered to herself before she heard a knock on the door.

looking through the peephole, she lit up and quickly opened the door. "Auntie Luna, I see word of me returning has reached your royal ears."

"Yes dearest Nephew, but only from a passing guard. We are uncertain if dearest Sister knows of your arrival. Regardless, we came to enquire if you would join us for our usual workout routine. We have been sensing some distress from your dreams and were going to investigate when this opportunity arose."

Barb started to wave her off, "I'm sorry Luna, but I don't even own any exercise clothing."

"Tis alright we have a spare set in your size, and you appear as though you need to... how do the youth say 'beat the shit out of something,' and what better item than a punching bag?" Luna said insistently.

Barb was a little taken aback, but it was Luna this was coming from. One of a select few with who she wholeheartedly would trust her life with. "Alright, Luna I'm game."

"Huzzah then let us go forth to the royal gym."

The two made small talk and caught up with what had happened in their lives, while Barb steered clear of what had happened that morning and the fact she was trans. With luna being gone for so long, she wasn't sure how she would react to the concept.

As they entered the Royal gym, Barb took in the view, since it had only been built six months after Luna had returned and Barb had been well established in Ponyville by then. It was a medium-size gym with the standard equipment along one wall, two fighting rings on the other side. One being an octagon and the other a traditional boxing ring. Finally, there was a long stretch of extra padded mats lining the center of the gym and dividing the two sides.

Luna set her bag down on a nearby bench and pulled out her exercise outfit and then proceeded to pull out the spare for Barbara. once Luna turned around and presented the set to Barb, she quickly noticed that the set consisted of a tight pair of yoga pants and a sports bra.

"um Luna you know I'm..."

"Trans, I had a hunch and when I heard you had come back to the castle, I couldn't waste the opportunity to talk with you in the waking world to help you with whatever it is troubling you," Luna said cutting Barb off and ending the potential song and dance that could have arose from the conversation.

Barb simply nodded, "Yes I am, but when did you figure it out I mean?"

"It was shortly after your last growth spurt when you grew more curves and gained two bust sizes, which means you'll definitely need that sports bra." Chuckles escaped from both of them.

"You know, you're the third mare to tell me that today," she said as she grabbed the clothing from Luna.

"Really who are the other two?"

"Twilight and Cadance, but now that I think about it it makes sense for all three of you to figure it out on some level. Now, are there any changing rooms, I'm still not that comfortable changing in front of others?"

Luna pointed to the back of the gym and explained that all the stalls were single individuals only, so privacy regardless of gender wasn't an issue. Now if only her pushes for such accommodations would actually be implemented elsewhere, but that required jumping around laws most wouldn't think of.

~~~~

Stepping out of the changing room, Barb saw that Luna had finished changing and was already strapping on a set of hand mats. "Um, I thought you suggested that I needed a punching bag?"

"I did, but after I took a closer look, it seems Tia put it out of commission and tried to hide it with duct tape. One hit and it would go straight to the trash. So let's get started, I want to see some punching." Luna said as she moved out to the open area and put up her hands, inviting Barb to punch them.

She started out with light punches, trying to find a rhythm, "So what would cause Celestia to KO a punching bag?"

"Normally it would be the nobles, that she takes out on the punching bag, but If I had to guess it would be the trade agreements with the Diamond Dog Clans and the Dragons. But Ember isn't scheduled to arrive till Friday, so it must be from the clan leaders being stubborn over something. Now faster with those punches."

"Really Ember's coming it will be nice to see her again." Barb was still very stiff and restrained with her punches,

'This isn't good, need to find out whatever it is that is upsetting her dreams.' Luna thought. "Come on you're still hitting like when you just a pipsqueak all those years ago on my first Nightmare Night."

Barbs Stance changed and a fire was lit in her eyes. "Bingo," Luna Whispered to herself.

Barbs punches started to become more aggressive and reckless as the speed of them picked up. "That little pipsqueak, who couldn't stand up for themselves, that did whatever he was told, without question! Even if it meant he was being used like just another tool day in and day out! The pipsqueak that can't even figure out who they are so they just wore the same pre-sorted sets of clothes that didn't even qualify as having any sort of taste!"

It was becoming harder for Luna to keep up especially when Barbara started mixing in kicks along with the punches. "That pipsqueak who could barely be considered a background character and never thought of trying to figure out who they were! Well, I got news for you! That pipsqueak died this morning when that BITCH Rarity shattered his fucking HEART!"

It was on those last few words that Barb gave a roundhouse kick, which left Luna with only seconds to spare from being able to brace for it. It sent her sliding several feet, on contact regardless, and left her more than winded.

"So who am I then?" Barb whispered to herself before she even noticed that Luna was now several feet away and frozen in place. "Oh my gosh Luna, I'm so sorry. Are you alright?"

The only thing Luna was able to say as she was starting to shake was, "I was not expecting all of that."

Barb helped Luna to a nearby bench and waited for her to come back to her senses. She then went on to tell her about what Rarity did that morning and that was the reason why she had come to Canterlot at all. About how she felt about herself and about how right before Luna knocked on her door she realized how little personality she had or even attempted to find for all those years.

"Also Luna, you haven't told me why you're so comfortable with me being trans. With you being gone for so long, most others would think that you would be repulsed by the idea and even find it taboo?"

Luna sighed, for it was not an easy topic to talk about, "Well it's not a lite subject and can be most grim, just know that despite what Rarity did to you, you've already found several supporting friends that will always be there to lend a hand. For others, however, they aren't so lucky. They don't have any friends or family to rely on and they have to endure it all on their own. And sometimes they aren't strong enough and they resort to drastic measures. Permanent measures, and in those final moments the brain does the only thing it can and it dreams as the life slowly leaves their body. It would happen long ago, before my banishment, but few realize it's far worse nowadays. After my return when I learned of this, I swore to myself that I would be there in their final moments comforting them and bring what little joy to their lives that I can provide no matter how small. that's why I'm so comfortable with it because I've seen the worst results from it and I try to prevent it long before it gets to that, but I am only one mare despite being an alicorn and sometimes I can't make it in time. Those hurt the most."

Luna turned to Barb and gently placed her hands on Barb's cheeks as tears started to form in her eyes. "Now Spike, I want you to promise me something. I want you to promise that you'll never make me have to be there to comfort you. I know with my immortality, that it's inevitable to see friends and those I consider family die, and I've come to terms with age, disease, even war, and battle. But please never do something so drastic and make me have to be there to comfort you in those final moments. I wouldn't even know what I would do when my world shatters and I have to be there to comfort somepony I consider myself so close to. So please even on your worst days, reach out to somepony, because you have so many that want the best for you. Just please never make me."

Barb cupped one of Luna's and did her best to reassure her. "Don't worry Luna, I promise I'll always find somepony. I'm nowhere near that breaking point and I don't think I ever will be."

Luna sniffled and started to cheer up upon hearing that. "Also, I'm now realizing I never told you, but I'm going by barbara or Barb for short."

Luna giggle and realized she never did ask Barb that. And with the mood becoming less melancholy they enjoyed each other's company till late in the day.

~~~~~

However, back in Ponyville, another fight was brewing and it wasn't for training.

Twilight was approaching her and her friend's usual picnic spot in Ponyvilles local park. She couldn't help but wonder if any of them had heard about how Rarity broke Barb's heart earlier that morning. Normally gossip would travel fast in a small town like Ponyville, but with Rarity being the main source of gossip at the center of it, she probably would keep her lips sealed. Reaching the blanket she said her hello's and found her target who had been preoccupied and was facing away from her which was perfect for what Twilight had in mind.

"Afternoon Rarity, say there was something important I wanted to show you, "Twilight said without any trace of malice.

"Sure darling, what is it?" Rarity turn turned to face Twilight only to have her vision encompassed by Twilight's fist.

A loud CRACK rang out as Rarity was flung back, hitting a tree in the process. No pony in attendance knew whether the loud crack came from the tree or bone. They just stared in a stunned silence barely moving.

AppleJack was the first to recover her composure. "What in tarnation was that for Twi?" she said moving herself in between Twilight and Rarity.

"Oh, it's real simple AppleJack. I got my fair punch in before anyone else did, it's really that simple."

AppleJack only became more confused as she was realizing this required context that the rest of them didn't have.

"Ah, I can see by your looks that you are out of the loop. It seems the Gossip hound doesn't like to spread it when it's about her."

At this point, Rarity started to stir and Pinkie pie and Fluttershy moved next to her to make sure she was alright.

Twilight continued, "Now this should really be Spike's story to tell, well I should say Barbara's story because this morning she came out to me as transgender and identifies as a mare. But I mistakenly thought that it would be best for her to inform Rarity here seeing as she had been pining for her for so many years now with nothing to show."
Rarity was now standing on shaky hooves growing angry with Twilight.

"However instead of letting my little Barb down gently, Rarity here decides to not only shatter her heart to pieces, throw her out of the boutique in broad daylight but also have the gall to physically slam the door in her face."

Rarity was livid at this point and she wouldn't stand for it. She rushed for Twilight despite the pain still fresh in her body and pushing AppleJack out of the way. "How dare you I had every right to...!"

Rarity found that her mouth and body had been sealed in Twilights magic. With fury in her eyes, she watched as Twilight rested a finger underneath Rarity's chin. "No Rarity, no you didn't and I really should be mad, but I know others will fulfill my rage by proxy. I just wonder who wants you dead more. Barbara's aunt Cadance, the physical embodiment of love or Celestia. Who Barb and Celestia herself view as the second biggest mother figure in her life right behind me."

Fear replaced rage in Rarity's eyes as she realized how true Twilight's words were. She might as well have pissed off the Great Creator Faust herself.

Author's Note:

Any feedback is appreciated, especially because I feel as though I'm rushing through these beginning chapters.