• Published 27th Jun 2021
  • 947 Views, 38 Comments

We're Okay - Crystalline Waters



Fleetfoot has trouble accepting who she is. Luckily her marefriend is there to help her see that they are perfect just the way they are. Together.

  • ...
13
 38
 947

Don't Look Away

Spitfire watched in horror as Fleetfoot suddenly sprinted towards the takeoff zone and shot up into the air as fast as her wings could carry her. She turned to the direction she saw her marefriend running from to see Rainbow Dash and Soarin speaking sharply to a gruff stallion. Without missing a beat, Spitfire approached them and asked hurriedly what was going on. "He called Fleetfoot a slur," Soarin briefly explained, eyes narrowed, as Rainbow continued to berate the stallion. That was all Spitfire needed to hear. How dare he, she thought. She gave him the angriest look she could possibly muster before speeding off after the turquoise blur in the sky. Under other circumstances, she would have handled the situation differently. She would have probably tried to punch him but she had restrained herself because first of all, she was under enough fire as it was, and at the current moment, Fleetfoot was her top priority. Earlier she had wanted to be calm under all the pressure, but now she was fine with flying off if it meant helping her marefriend. "Fleety!" she yelled out. "Fleety it's me!" The mare either did not hear her, or was too far gone to be able to stop and answer her. She followed Fleetfoot all the way back to their headquarters.

Spitfire was beside herself with worry for her marefriend. She should have been closer to her during the events of the day to stop anything like this from happening. Then again, she could also imagine that the insults would have pummeled them harder had they been together at the event. The thing that was bothering her was the last insult though. She had known that there would of course be looks and insults thrown their way, but seriously? Throwing out a slur so blatantly towards them, and with foals around? It was no wonder Fleetfoot had zipped away so fast. What Spitfire did wonder though, was how their experiences had differed during the day. Fleetfoot had been more than nervous the entire day, and she was definitely more anxious overall than Spitfire. She wouldn't be shocked if she had gotten the same amount of hushed remarks as Fleetfoot, but she had been able to ignore all of them, as well as brush off the ones made to her face. Fleetfoot however, would have been hypersensitive to all the little things going on around her as she always was when she was anxious about something. All the whispers would have reached her ears, every pair of glaring eyes would have met her terrified ones. In fact, she probably had no idea what was going on right in front of her unless it was negative, and the background noise was louder than the main crowd for her. Spitfire regretted pushing Fleetfoot so far out of her comfort zone so quickly, but right now she had to be there for her.

Spitfire was right behind Fleetfoot as the two landed at their compound. The turquoise mare wasted no time in throwing open the doors to the building and staggering in. Her heavy gasps for air could be heard as she dragged herself around the corner of the hallway and into.... a supply closet? Spitfire's heart was breaking as she followed down the hallway. She couldn't tell if the gasps were from her flight or from her distress, or both. She caught up to the distressed mare right before she slammed the door shut right in her face. For a few seconds she just stood there, momentarily stunned, before she heard sniffling from inside the closet. Her ears drooped down as she gently knocked on the door, but not before removing her face mask. She wanted to be able to comfort Fleetfoot, without anything obscuring her facial features. The crying mare gasped, all sniffling ceasing for a few moments, before a shaky voice called out, "Who ith it?" So she really hadn't noticed Spitfire trailing after her.

"It's me, Fleety. Spitfire," she answered gently. The supply closet door opened shortly after revealing a crestfallen Fleetfoot. Without making eye contact, the mare backed up, allowing Spitfire to enter the room with her. "Do you want to go to my office?" she asked, confused. Fleetfoot didn't give an answer other than a faint head shake, and sat down next to Spitfire after she had shut the door. The two sat in silence for a short while, until Spitfire looked over at Fleetfoot. Her eyes were squeezed shut, and she was biting her bottom lip hard to stop more tears from escaping her eyes. So hard in fact, that all blood flow was cut off, making it turn white. Spitfire moved closer to the mare before wrapping her forelegs around her. Fleetfoot tensed briefly before relaxing into her embrace. As she felt tears start to darken the suit and fur on her chest, Spitfire enveloped her marefriend in her wings as well. She held her as she trembled, whimpers escaping her throat periodically. Not wanting to rush, Spitfire just sat there with her, stroking her mane and nuzzling the top of her head.

Some minutes had passed before Fleetfoot had begun to calm down. Not removing herself from Spitfire's embrace, she began to speak. "Ponieth are mean," was all she said. Spitfire could not agree more.

"I know Fleety. Soarin told me what happened right before we left. I know you're not okay, and I know why, but what went down today? The slur was just the breaking point wasn't it?" Fleetfoot flinched hard and nodded.

"I flew away before he could finish. The latht thing I heard before flying away wath Rainbow and Thoarin thcolding the thtallion who called uth that."

"What exactly did he say?" Spitfire questioned, as she had initially thought that he just called Fleetfoot a slur.

"He thaid that what they didn't need in the Air Forthe wath a couple of f-f-fa," her voice cracked, jaw working furiously to formulate the word with her mouth. "H-he called uth f-fa-," the level of hysteria in her voice steadily increased the more she focused on that one, horrible word as if it were engulfing her in anguish. Spitfire quickly pulled away and placed both hooves on Fleetfoot's shoulders. She gently rubbed them as her marefriend approached the verge of hyperventilation. She looked her dead in the eyes and brought her hooves up to cup the delicate, wet turquoise cheeks she loved so much. Gently shushing her, she waited until her breaths eased enough to not concern her so much.

"I know Fleety. I know." Once she was completely sure that her marefriend was okay for the moment, she resumed the hug, anger joining the heartbreak she was currently feeling. "The sad part is, I can believe that. Heh, I just can't believe he said it around all the foals." She sighed, before continuing. "What else happened today Fleety?" The mare sighed deeply in resignation.

"You know me too well Thpitty. After the show though, everything ith a blur. I honethtly don't think I wath very aware of mythelf today. When we were walking to our theatth for the meet and greet, all I could hear wath the whithpering. But then when ponieth gave me mean lookth, and encouraged otherth around them to do the thame, I noticed. All I could thee were the camera flasheth. I wath really panicking. I wath thweaty, dizzy, I felt nauseouth. It wath terrible. Then on the runway, I glued mythelf to Rainbow tho that I wouldn't be alone. You know the retht," she said miserably. A couple more tears escaped from each eye before they were wiped away.

"I'm so sorry hon. I shouldn't have put you through so much stress all at once. I didn't think you'd panic so much," Spitfire acknowledged. She really did feel guilty about it. One thing did stand out to her though. "Fleety," she said. "Why didn't you come to me when you needed help?" At that, Fleetfoot stiffened and pulled herself out of Spitfire's embrace.

"I-I didn't.. It would have made thingth worthe." She stumbled over her words as she tried to give an explanation. "I jutht.. couldn't make.." she trailed off as she hung her head in shame. Spitfire knew she was nervous about telling her something, and she had a good idea as to what it was.

"Do you think we're doing something wrong?" she asked cautiously. Fleetfoot's head snapped upward frantically.

"No! Not at all..." she paused before looking away again. "We're wrong, Thpitfire. Why are we like thith?" Spitfire was taken aback by the pain in Fleetfoot's voice. The questions hurt too, but she knew that they came from a place of uncertainty. So right now, she had to help Fleetfoot recognize that these doubts could be eased.

"Fleetfoot," she began. The mare's eyes were drawn back to her by the use of her full name. "We should talk."

Author's Note:

This was kind of a filler chapter. Their talk will be out later today. It's 3:30 a.m and my brain is shutting down.
Until next time.
:)