• Published 27th Jun 2021
  • 948 Views, 38 Comments

We're Okay - Crystalline Waters



Fleetfoot has trouble accepting who she is. Luckily her marefriend is there to help her see that they are perfect just the way they are. Together.

  • ...
13
 38
 948

Don't Run From Me

Just like any celebrity, as a Wonderbolt, one's life is a topic that many, many ponies want to know about. News ponies and other fans absolutely love to lap up every possible piece of juicy gossip that comes from celebrities. This might be fine sometimes. It's not always ponies knowing details that causes problems. The problem is how they react to a given piece of news, and how they share that reaction and their opinion with others around them. At times, it's really no big deal and can even be sweet. When the public somehow found out that Sun Chaser's sister had passed on, they were extremely kind and went out of their way to show their support for her at shows and give her words of reassurance at meet-and-greets. Sometimes, it feels like high school all over again. When Rapidfire and Misty Fly's relationship was discovered due to a careless mishap on their part, reactions were well split. Half of their fans were happy for them and often gushed about how good of a couple they were, and the other half got jealous and made a big deal of it. No matter how useless that seemed.

Other times, it sucked. Plain and simple. At least that's how the Wonderbolts saw it when a picture of Spitfire and Fleetfoot snuggled up on a cloud was leaked. Nopony knew who took the photo, or how they had even managed to sneak into the boundaries of their Headquarters to take it, but what they did know all too well was the trouble it caused. The reason for all the fuss was even more mortifying.


"Spitfire! Fleetfoot!" came the shrill voice of Surprise as she flew down the hallway towards the rec room where the 'Bolts were getting ready for practice. "This is bad. Like reeeallyy bad!" Her voice carried notes of panic and urgency, which nopony liked to hear, especially from her.

"Surprise? What is it? Did something hap-" Spitfire was cut off as Surprise rounded the corner with a newspaper in hoof and a look of concern written all over her face. Spitfire knew that the bundle of cheer that was her teammate could be serious when the situation called for it. So the look on her face was enough to put her on edge. Surprise handed the newspaper to her and landed, panting as Fire Streak placed a hoof on her back, also with concern starting to make its way onto his face. Having made her way over to Spitfire upon hearing her name being called, Fleetfoot was now parked at her side, looking on over her shoulder. Spitfire's stomach dropped as her eyes scanned over the front page of the paper. It was a copy of Equestria's 411, a very popular gossip paper with magazine-like content. There was a short article, as well as a picture of the two of them on a cloud just outside of their headquarters with Spitfire's wing draped over Fleetfoot, and Fleetfoot's head tucked snugly underneath Spitfire's chin. The article below read:

Wonderbolt Captain and Third-in-Command in Love?
Wonderbolt captain Spitfire Flare and Third-in-Command Fleetfoot Frost have been spotted by an anonymous photographer, engaging in activities that can only be described as romantic. As seen in the picture above, the two seem to be much closer to each other than they appear to the public.

Throughout military history, same-sex couples within the ranks have always been scorned. If a member of a force identified as a homosexual, they would do everything in their power to keep it a secret for fear of being discharged. Only a few years ago were policies directly barring ponies of the LGBTQ+ community from serving repealed, and many still believe that the policies should have stayed. However, it seems that the current captain of our aerial flight team has become more lenient with those traditional beliefs. Now, does this bring about change and encourage others to move forwards, and away from history? Or is it a violation of the pride, honor, and discipline that the military has stood for over the centuries it has been active? The belief that homosexuality does not belong in the ranks of the military is very widely spread, and we can say now that the two are going to be in for a long ride. "Ask anypony, and they will tell you that the Wonderbolts are starting to stray away from their path of strict rules and order, and we can expect to see stains on the reputations of these two mares," says reporter Shiny Quill. What will they do when the going gets tough? We'll just have to watch closely to find out.

Spitfire was mortified. Angry. Mostly angry due to the sheer stupidity of the article. She and Fleetfoot had been trying so hard to keep their relationship hidden since it had begun in order to avoid crazy ponies like the media. However, the two had failed to consider this a reason why. At first, the two wanted to prevent anypony from suspecting nepotism. The two had worked their flanks off for forever to earn both their spot and rank in the team, and anypony could easily see it. Yet they knew that no matter what, some ponies were denser than mercury, and would make a big deal of things when they knew very well the suspicions were false. But this? Their sexualities were not among the things considered when they agreed on staying secret. Spitfire had come to terms with being bisexual very quickly, as Equestria was moving onto a new era, and if anyone tried to deny her love... she'd most likely punch them. Fleetfoot she knew though, was very insecure about being gay. Looking over her shoulder, Spitfire saw her marefriend's horrified expression. Her ears were pinned to the sides of her head, and her eyes were wide and wet. She quickly passed the newspaper back to Surprise and turned to her marefriend. "Fleety? Are you okay?" The mare sniffled once and nodded quickly. She leaned in and rested her head on Spitfire's shoulder.

"Why didn't we think of thith? We conthidered tho many other thingth, but not thith? Hrmmm..." she groaned and trailed off sadly. Spitfire wrapped a hoof around her shoulders and gently rubbed Fleetfoot's back.

"I don't know hon. I really didn't think this would be an issue. I'm so sorry this happened."

"What did the paper say, Cap?" Blaze asked softly. After a nod of approval from Spitfire, Surprise handed the paper to Blaze, who then passed it around to the rest of the 'Bolts. Looking around, Spitfire saw lots of different facial expressions. Some were angry, some looked worried, and some looked disgusted. Soarin spoke up next.

"This is... disgusting. How the photo was taken is beyond me, but the commentary on this is unbelievable. Are you guys going to be okay?" Spitfire sighed, and looked down at her marefriend, who was still leaning against her looking defeated.

"I'll be fine, though I doubt that the pony who took that picture will be if I ever find them. What about you Fleety?" she inquired. Fleetfoot was taking this harder than she was. Fleetfoot just nodded, her mane brushing the underside of Spitfire's chin as her head moved back and forth. Spitfire frowned, as she could clearly see that she was not okay. She decided that this was a question she wanted to address more privately, so she gave her a tight squeeze before speaking to the rest of the team, who all shared varying looks of concern. "Soar, can you get practice started for me? I'll be out in a few minutes," she requested. He nodded and gave Fleetfoot a reassuring pat on the shoulder before leading the team outside. Everypony gave their own quick statement of support and a warm smile before walking out, making Spitfire feel a bit better herself. At least their team would be there for them through it all. Now she wanted to make sure Fleetfoot knew that as well. "What's on your mind hon?"

"What are we going to do?" The mare asked after a second. She removed her face from Spitfire's shoulder to look up at her. "We have a show in three dayth and everypony'th going to be watching uth. I don't want to be gawked at," she explained. Spitfire thought about this. Fleetfoot was right, their next show was in three days, and what was worse, is that it was in Canterlot. The home of a bunch of snobby traditionalists who could never keep their opinions to themselves.

"Ignore them Fleety. If they want to look, let them look. They can't do anything to us, and if they try, we have the team to help defend us. If they try to hurt you in any way, they'll have me to answer to. I won't let anything bad happen, I promise. Cross my heart and hope to fly, stick a cupcake in my eye." She attempted to go through the motions of the promise Rainbow had done so many times, and accidentally poked herself in the process, making Fleetfoot giggle. She pulled Spitfire into a warm hug and smiled.

"Thankth Thpitty. I needed that."

"Of course hon. I'm here. Always," she said, returning the embrace. After a moment, they let each other go and went out to join their team.


It was the morning of the show in Canterlot, and Fleetfoot thought she was going to throw up out of nervousness. She wasn't afraid of performing, but of the questions and comments she would receive after the show. In those three days after the article came out, so many ponies had voiced their displeasure with her and Spitfire's relationship. She had even gotten a letter from her parents the day after the article was published. The two were very traditional ponies, and had been very involved in her career as a Wonderbolt. Since she first told them of her dream to be a part of the team years ago, they had drilled into her head the importance of their line of work, and the honor and dignity required to become a part of it. Of course, upon finding out about her relationship, they were furious. They told her that she didn't belong in the military if she was willing to engage in "dishonorable and unnatural" relationships. They had told her that how she felt was wrong, and that it was disgusting that two mares would feel that way towards each other. It had hurt so badly. She had spent an extended amount of time crying in the shower that night, but didn't want to bother her marefriend about it. She was already angry enough at the public without having to worry about her parents. To add onto her already sky-high anxiety, there had been one more article published that morning addressing the coming show. The page was filled with ponies' opinions of them. Fleetfoot knew that the majority of the statements that made it onto the paper would be negative, but when she had read the new article, the only statements in there had been negative. Spitfire and the rest of the team had done their best to calm her nerves and soothe her mind, but she was too deep into her fear to listen to any of them.

As they waited in the backstage area of the arena in Canterlot, Fleetfoot sat next to Spitfire shivering. The show should go smoothly because their performance was specially choreographed for the interests of Canterlot. Spitfire looked at Fleetfoot with a look of worry on her face. She sat closer to the fuchsia-eyed mare and draped a wing over her back comfortingly. "Fleety. I promised you I wouldn't let anypony hurt you. Look around." Fleetfoot saw her teammates all smiling at her. "We're all here and I'll be damned if we let you face those ponies alone."

"Totally Fleet," agreed Rainbow. "No one pony left behind."

"Fleets, we love you no matter what! You're part of the team and it shouldn't matter to anypony who makes you happy," argued Surprise.

"They're both right. We're behind you on this and we'll make sure nopony gets in the way of your confidence or happiness," said Lightning Streak. Fleetfoot smiled wearily. Her stomach continued doing flip-flops at the thought of the meet and greet later on, but she felt safer around her friends.

"Thankth guyth. I appreciate that a lot." She leaned into Spitfire's embrace and waited for the performance to begin.


The performance went well and was as usual, met with hearty applause. In the arena, nothing from this show was different from any other show. Yet the true testament of how their fans took the news would be shown at the meet and greet they were holding right then. Fleetfoot's heart was racing and she was sweating more than she had during the performance. As she weaved her way through fans to get to her spot at the table for signings, she heard whispers and felt multiple pairs of eyes on her. She had wanted to sit this session out and let her other teammates handle it, but Spitfire had insisted that they show the public that they weren't ashamed of themselves, and that they couldn't make them feel that way. As inspiring and strong that sounded, Fleetfoot couldn't help but feel slightly ashamed. Which in turn made her feel extremely guilty.

Since she and Spitfire had started dating, there had never been a moment where Spitfire showed anything less than her best at providing care, comfort, and understanding when it was needed. Even sometimes for no reason other than her wanting to show Fleetfoot how much she loved her. Even before they got together, Spitfire was the most protective, nurturing friend she could ask for. She was a shoulder for Fleetfoot to cry on, a chest to hide in, and a side to lean on. Still though, there was a nagging feeling in her gut that they were doing something wrong. She felt her parents were right. Everypony was. No matter how many ponies would tell her that she was okay, and that she needed to do whatever made her happy, she just couldn't accept herself. She loved everypony's support, and it did help her sometimes, but at times like this? Where ponies were whispering, both quietly and not so quietly. Where anywhere she looked, she was scrutinized. It was at moments like these where she felt wrong. So incredibly wrong.

As she got up on her seat beside Lightning Streak and High Winds, she suddenly felt so lightheaded. There were camera flashes from fans who may not have been fans after all. She couldn't focus on any of the foals who came up to her for her autograph. All she could focus on were the few comments she could hear from the crowd. A young colt came up to her but was quickly ushered away by his father. "Let's move along Light. We're going to get the autographs of ponies with self respect," he spat, making sure she could hear it. Her ears drooped and she looked down to hide the look of pain on her face. She looked back up in time to see a large earth stallion walk past her and throw her a nasty look. She very visibly flinched, and felt Lightning Streak's hoof on her shoulder for comfort. The event continued that way until it was over, with High Winds and Lightning occasionally having to speak up on her behalf. By the end of it, Fleetfoot just wanted to go back to the HQ and hide away somewhere. The only thing left to do before the team could leave was walking through a sea of reporters and even more fans to get to their designated exit. After every show, the team would go to a certain spot in a given area before flying off to either their compound or wherever they were staying.

At this point Fleetfoot was dizzy with anxiety. She was glued to Rainbow Dash's side as the team walked to their takeoff spot, with Soarin nearby. She thought that if anypony would be able to protect her at a time like this, it was Rainbow, as she would take absolutely zero bullshit when it came to protecting her friends, and had very quickly become one of Fleetfoot's most trusted friends besides Soarin and...Spitfire... Oh how badly Fleetfoot wanted to nestle herself under Spitfire's wing for comfort, but she was choked by shame which only overwhelmed her with more shame. Rainbow kept giving her reassuring looks and telling her to focus on her for the time being. It had been working so far, but the camera flashes became more intense as they got closer to taking off. The ponies' words became clearer around her, and she could pick up some insults among the crowd.

"Disgraceful to the military force."

She scooted closer to Rainbow and took a shaky breath. Her eyes darted to the side, searching for the source of the voice, before turning to face forwards again.

"Does she feel no shame?" came another voice.

So much shame, she thought sadly, as she picked up her pace. Rainbow and Soarin followed suit, flanking her on either side. Fleetfoot's heart was racing a mile a minute, and she needed to just. get. out.

"What we don't need in our Air Force is a couple of fa-," the remark was cut off as Fleetfoot gasped and ran forwards towards the takeoff zone. All sounds after that were blurry. She could vaguely hear Rainbow and Soarin sharply addressing whoever made that comment. Without thinking straight, she launched from the zone and sliced through the air as fast as she could towards the Wonderbolt compound. Tears blurred her vision, making it hard to see, but she could fly to HQ backwards with her eyes shut. She was so far gone in her pain and emotion that she didn't notice Spitfire flying after her, calling her name repeatedly.

So many thoughts were running through her head at that moment. So many looks she had gotten that day were flashing in her vision. The last remark made before she flew off replayed over and over in her head. It wasn't only the comments and insults that were bothering her. Her reason and judgement were trying to fight off the words plaguing her. She knew that she had only paid attention to the negative, and that most of the ponies there would probably support her, especially the foals. She knew deep down that there was nothing she was actively doing wrong, but it felt like she was. Every other thought was an insult, and between each one she was chastising herself for focusing on that insult.
I'm wrong. I shouldn't be doing this.

But why should she care what has been the norm? Why not change it? Why should she accept it?

They'll never accept me! I can't just embarrass the military like this?

What about my relationship is so embarrassing?

I shouldn't like other mares. It's not right.

What about Spitfire? She likes mares, and I would never call or think of her as weird or unnatural.

It was a vicious cycle in Fleetfoot's head. Questions now joined the remarks inside her head. Once she landed on the compound's grounds, she ran into the building and hid in the nearest room she could find. She unknowingly slammed the door into Spitfire's face before locking it and lowering herself slowly to the ground. It turned out that she had entered a supply closet. She looked to her left and saw a mop and a bucket sitting next to her. It didn't matter to her as she finally let her tears go, letting the bitter and salty liquid flow down her turquoise cheeks.

Author's Note:

First of all, I wanted to thank Melody Song for allowing me to use the surname that she came up with for Fleetfoot: Frost. Go check out her works, they're great!
Secondly, I felt awful writing the newspaper article for this. I had no idea how to write it in "true journalist fashion", and it was hard not believing what I was writing but still writing it for the sake of the story.
But the next chapter will be out by tomorrow night so stay tuned. Things will get better.
:)