• Published 7th Sep 2012
  • 661 Views, 1 Comments

The Unfathomably Awkward tales of Steel and Midnight ep.1 - Ookami Hikoushi



O.C Steel Forge follows his friend Midnight Chorus to a party at which Midnight will be singing.

  • ...
 1
 661

Chapter 2

I always delight in sticking a song my friend Steel’s head. So, how could I pass up an opportunity to drill one of my favourites into his skull? The walk to this evening’s venue was just another warm-up for my set, even though I had spent much of the afternoon rehearsing. I wanted it to be special; I had a particular mare to impress.

After Twilight’s kind words of encouragement, I took my place at the mic. Everypony was staring at me, of course. But with the stage lights shining in my face, it was like looking upon a room of mannequins. The band behind me began and I felt the notes envelope my senses entirely, their music fueled my passion. I sprang to action. I let my voice flow by itself. In conversation I can barely remember lyrics, but on stage they stream as naturally as the heart beats.
My adrenaline was truly pumping by now. I looked upon the mannequins; they had begun their haphazard swaying and bobbing. The illusion was broken, but whatever unease dared pop up was swiftly quelled by the rush.
My set had finally ended for the night to a justified round of applause. After I had exited the stage, I saw Fluttershy’s mane facing in my direction over the crowd. She had a lovely little rose in her hair that night. She hid her cute face behind her pink waterfall mane. Her meek “H-hello.” only cemented her timid image.
I tried to casually break the ice, "Are you enjoying the party?"
"Um... Yes, your performance was very... nice" she smiled, coming out from behind her hair.
I could see she was softening the blow of some kind of criticism. "Not your preferred kind of music?"
"Something more soft and um... serene." she responded. I was waiting for that. I tapped the floor twice with my back hoof. The band began playing some slow dance music.
"Is this music you'd dance to?" I gestured to the musicians.
She saw right through me and roses blossomed on her cheeks to accompany the one in her mane. She simply nodded. My thirty bits were well-spent.
The two of us put a front leg around each other’s necks and danced slowly close to each other. Fluttershy was as gentle as ever, even her dancing had an air of her shyness to it. It was rather adorable. I could pick up a scent like honey and flowers masking the faint smell of animal feed. She was a good dancer too; well, this was her kind of music after all. I simply thought she’d be too shy to get much practice. I led Fluttershy outside after dancing. Feeling a bit unsure of what was to come next, I had been comforted by meeting Applejack and Steel Forge just outside on the lawn.
*. *. *.

When the four of us had gotten back to the apartment I lived in above Steel's ground level shop and house. He and I told the girls to take a seat anywhere and we'd be right back with something to eat. While in the small kitchen, I gazed out the one window in the room.
"Looking at the moon again?" came Steel's voice from beside me.
"Sorta...what? Are you talking to me?"
"Yeah bud...nopony else in here" he laughed a bit at me.
"Lost myself for a second I guess..."
*. *. *.

I gave Steel a little hoof bump as I opened the front door. He and Applejack took seats out on the porch in the surprisingly chilly night. I then bowed and smiled to Fluttershy.
"Shall we be on our way then?"
"Oh yes, I really should be getting back to the animals. I'm sure they're all restless."

Much of the walk passed in silence, neither of us were particularly skilled with small-talk. The only sounds were our hooves on the dirt road and the night breeze through the trees. I looked upwards to a luminous full moon and silently thanked Princess Luna.
"Beautiful night, isn't it?" Anything to break the lull.
Fluttershy smirked, "Well, your name would suggest you enjoy the moonlight."
"Actually, would you believe I'm allergic?"
She looked at me quizzically.
"I'm serious; overexposure results in sappy and romantic notions..." I was never going to get another chance at this, "towards very attractive pink-maned pegasi."
She turned away, blushing, trying to hide her sheepish grin.
"Thought you deserved fair warning, Miss Beautyshy- I mean Fluttershy." I said, feeling my stomach knot. We drew closer to her cottage on the edge of the Everfree.
"I um... Appreciate the gesture, Midnight." There were clearly several critters still stirring within her home. "Why don't you come inside and give your um... 'allergies' a rest? You could help me sing the animals to sleep."
Everything was going better than expected. We stepped in the sectioned front door to find a few errant squirrels and birds still flitting about. Fluttershy made her rounds, coaxing the little ones to their houses and holes in the boards. She began to sing "Hush Now, Quiet Now" as they retired. I followed her lead, singing to the ones on the opposite side of her sitting room.
As the last squirrel reached its dwelling, she turned her aqua eyes to me, taking the rose from her hair and setting aside.
"Thanks, Midnight. Now I'll have a few less cranky critters in the morning." she said sweetly, strolling over to me.
I bowed as gentlecoltly as I could. I glanced at the clock, my hour was now. I smiled at the lovely mare in front of me. There was a spark in my head that spawned the flow of a gentle tune, I began singing along.

Midnight is here so Midnight must go,
Homeward now the winds shall blow.

But let me say, how you've moved my Earth,
That angelic voice; a gift of mirth

Your shining face around the town,
'Twas a save from a spiral down.

It vexes me yet what you've done,
Your wings alone send my mind to run.

You're the mare I'd like to know
I took her hoof in mine and I leaned in.
I can set your heart
I placed a tender kiss on her cheek and whispered,
Aglow.

I drew back and turned to leave. She didn't seem to want that just yet. She held my hoof, I turned back, right into a honey-sweet return.
We walked to the door. I stepped outside and glanced again at the princess' astral charge.
"I'm certain the animals enjoyed your lullaby," Fluttershy said, "maybe you could help me again... soon?"
I bowed again, "It would be a pleasure, Miss Beautyshy." I finished coyly. With that, I spun into the air and began my glide home, waving back to the beauteous mare.
The perfect end to a night I will never forget.