• ...
4
 18
 1,507

Prologue: The Origin of Spider-Girl

Author's Note:

Hello everyone, I know what you're thinking: why am I, a normal everyday schoolgirl, not only wearing red and blue spandex but also hanging from a rooftop by a deranged classmate of mine wearing a Halloween costume? Well, to explain that, we'll need to go back to where this story began.

Several weeks earlier.

"BEEP BEEP BEEP," the sound of my alarm clock buzzing through the entire room.

"Mmm, no, stupid alarm; shut up; just give me five more minutes of sleep time," I said as I put the clock on snooze. "Yawn, good morning, Canterlot City."

You see that tired-looking girl with a lot of bed hair in the queen-sized bed? That is me. My name is Sunset Shimmer, and right now I am your typical everyday schoolgirl; I was your typical dork; I knew every element of the periodic table; and most importantly, I was everyone's favorite punching bag.

I've been called a lot of names, such as Bookworm, Queen Dorkius, Geek Girl, and others.

"You dropped your nerd books, Dumbset Bummer," Trixie said as she pushed me onto the floor.

You see that girl over there, that is Trixie Lulamoon. One of the smart kids at our school loves picking on the students that are smaller and weaker than she is. And I'm her favorite target.

But just because I may have a few enemies doesn't mean I don't have any friends.

"Hey Sunset, you need me to help you pick up those books," Rainbow-Dash said as she walked up.

This is Rainbow-Dash, one of the jocks at our school. She can be very kind and loves to help people out.

There is also Pinkie Pie, the class clown of our school, who loves to tell jokes and pull pranks.

And then there is my best friend, Michael Osborn, the future head of an organization known as OSCORP and my "rival." I think that he may be a little jealous of me.

Alright, back to the topic at hand. One day, my homeroom class went on a field trip to the OSCORP facility, and oh boy, there were so many scientific devices that I was just as excited as a child on his first birthday. As I was listening to our group's tour guide talk about this big radiation conductor, none of us noticed that there was a little spider crawling around the facility, and it just had to land right in the middle of the conductor's blast.

So, what does a spider do after it has been hit with a lot of radiation? Well, the logical thing to do is to run away, right? Well, karma can sure be a pain in the ass because you want to know what it did next. It jumped on my hand and bit me right in the arm.

The instant the spider bit, I could feel a jolt of pain course through me as I swatted it away, then 5 seconds after that I started having severe convulsions, and then let's just say that I lost my lunch all over the floor. Then I tried walking back home before collapsing on the ground and losing consciousness

I then woke up in the hospital, and the doctors said that I had to stay their for a few days.

Once I was discharged from the hospital, I was a little disoriented, so much so that I didn't notice that I was wandering into an open road with a large truck heading towards me. Suddenly, I felt this buzzing in my head, almost like I was sensing danger coming, so almost like a basic instinct, I jumped out of the way. I also noticed that I could also walk on walls. However, I needed to be able to shoot some kind of webbing, so that's why I created web-shooters for myself.

Another thing was that I could see perfectly without my glasses, and my body looked like I had been lifting weights. Normally, my body would look kind of wimpy, but now I look like some athlete in the Olympics. Well, that's what caused all my problems.

I started using my powers for selfish gains, like when I started using them for wrestling matches. I even called myself the Spectacular Spider-Girl. I acted like this because, in my eyes, my mother, father, and little sister Luster Dawn were all I could count on, and I wanted the rest of the world to go hang for all I cared. Sigh, that was the biggest mistake of my life.

After I had won my most recent wrestling match, I was heading home until I saw some guy running past me because he was being chased by a police officer. The officer told me to stop him, but due to my arrogance at the time, I just stood there and let him get away.

When the officer asked me why I didn't stop him, you want to know what I said to him: "From now on, I only worry about myself, buddy; whatever he did is not my problem." And I just left, wearing that same arrogant smile.

When I came home, I saw that there were police cars surrounding my house. I rushed over to see what was going on, and what the officer told me made my heart stop.

He said that there was a burglary gone wrong and that my father was killed. A part of me died when he said that. I went into my house to comfort my mother and sister, and out of all of us, my cries were the loudest. My father was my hero and my idol, and he was just taken away from me like that.

Then I heard the radio say that the same burglar was sighted hiding in the abandoned Sombra Steel Mill. I had to get over there. I wasn't going to let him get away again. I was going to give him the same mercy that he gave my father when he shot him dead. I wanted revenge.

I then got to the steel mill, where I hid and waited for the guy with the gun to show himself.

"Huh, what was that noise?" the burglar said.

"THERE'S NOWHERE LEFT TO RUN NOW, MURDERER!" I said it in fury. "THAT MAN YOU ROBBED FROM WAS MY FATHER, AND YOU KILLED HIM!"

I then dropped from the ceiling and gave that bastard some good punches until he was beaten and battered. Then I hanged him off a ledge under a river and was ready to drop him to a watery grave when he said, "Please don't kill me I'm sorry, I'm sorry! Please give me another chance!"

"Why, WHY, YOU NEVER GAVE MY FATHER A CHANCE, SO WHY SHOUD I EVER GIVE A CHANCE TO FILTHY DIRT-EATING SLIME LIKE YO?" I roared before I stopped talking as I unmasked him.

Let me tell you all right now that the blood in my veins ran cold when I saw the shooter's face. It was the same guy from the wrestling match—the same guy I let go of.

I let him get away. I could've stopped him; I could've tripped him over with my leg, but I didn't. I let him get away.

Now my father is dead,, and it was all my fault that I let him die. I then tied the burglar up on the ceiling using my webbing.


As I was heading home, a memory flashed through my mind: it was when I was little,, and I had gotten into a fight with Trixie after she threatened to harm my sister. As my father was tending to the cuts and bruises on my arms and legs,, he would always say, "With great power comes great responsibility." I never understood what he meant by that—until now. That's when I decided to only use my powers to help the innocent and punish the wicked. That's when I became the one and only Spidergirl.
However, all of that was about to change.