• Published 1st May 2021
  • 259 Views, 3 Comments

One Thousand Years Ago, Book 2 - Scroll



Cozy Glow goes on a journey to unlock the mysteries of the ancient past and free her human counterpart.

  • ...
 3
 259

Chapter 8: Flying Drills

A knock on the door jolts Cozy Glow awake. And, for all she knows, probably her roommate as well.

The latter is confirmed when Cozy hears Cheese speak after a groan.

“What time is it?” Cheese asks tiredly.

“Time to be woken up by a knock on the door, apparently,” Cozy observes with a complaining edge to it.

Yet she acknowledges that, for a split second, she didn't know here she was. Nevermind the fact that it takes her hours to fall asleep in a bed that is less comfortable than a cloud bed. That doesn't matter to an unconscious mind. However, she is so accustomed to waking up in her room in Canterlot, formally known as Princess Luna's room, that she feels momentarily disoriented whenever she wakes up in this place.

“I'm coming, I'm coming. I'm . . .” Cozy cries out irritably, but then an idea occurs to her. A cunning grin spreads across her lips as she privately commends herself for her cleverness. She acknowledges the fact that magic does indeed take a lot of effort, but it also has the well deserved reputation for it's potential range.

You're a witty one, Misses Glow! She sings to herself in her head. Even tired as you are, your mind thinks a mile a minute.

Concentrating in the magic of her geode, she uses it to attempt to envelope the doorknob with a crimson aura. She uses it to attempt to turn it, but the doorknob budges only slightly. She attempts to pour more power into this, but she manages only to drawn upon her emotional frustration.

“Emotion is the fuel for magic,” Sombra inwardly lectures, “but focus gives it direction, and you, my dear, are too tired to have that in spades.

Oh be quiet!” Cozy mentally snaps at her mental companion. “Rub it in, why don't ya?

Sombra makes no reply. Apparently he is cooperating with her instructions.

Cozy inwardly curses since her magic is apparently not strong enough to turn a mere doorknob yet. Levitating chess pieces are within her grasp, yet one of the most basic life utilities continue to elude her.

She feels taunted.

Irritably, she gets up, trots to the door, and opens it. But, as soon as she does, her ears immediately perk up and her eyes widen with delight when she realizes that her senpai, Rumble, has noticed her this morning. Cozy wags her tail behind her.

“Good morning, Cozy Glow. Time to rise and shine!” Rumble encourages. “Come out for some quick breakfast. We are having biscuits and gravy, which is definitely a county classic. After that, we're going on the top deck for some flying lessons.”

“Yes, Senpai!” Cozy cheers in delight, although the terminology seems to confuse him. On second thought, Cozy realizes why. That term actually came from the mind of her twin sister. She thinks it means “respected one” that “one looks up to”, based on the context of how her sister usually used the word.

She shakes her head before rephrasing, “Uh, I mean . . . Yes, Rumble. I'd be glad to join you.”

“Excellent! That's what I like to hear,” Rumble cheers enthusiastically. “Come on!”


After breakfast, Cozy's enthusiasm fades a little, only to be replaced by confusion, when she realizes she won't be getting a private lesson this morning. Instead of that, every other flier on the ship is on the top deck. This includes herself, Rumble, Captain Tidus, Golden Compass, and Blaze. For some reason Desora is also here, but despite being related to a parrot species, Cozy kind of doubts that she is a serious flier.

Also, for some reason, there are several bags of sand on the ground which is stacked in a pile. Straps are located near that pile. In her head, Cozy put two and two together and realizes that this flying lesson includes adding more weight to each flier, likely for exercise purposes. There is also enough in that pile as well as a variety of sizes to indicate that every flier here is meant to participate in this session for some reason.

Then Cozy considers the fact that she, along with all of these other fliers, were awoken early for this session. This strikes her as a military tactic. To rise early and train hard during a moment when it is still difficult in order to condition for a more rapid and efficient response later.

“Good morning,” First Officer Desora greets the group as she stands in a very formal fashion with her feathered hands folded behind her back. “Some of you might be wondering why you have been called up to the top deck so early in the morning.”

“Not me,” Blaze says as she scratches herself while yawning. When she's done with that, she continues, “You've scheduled these drills before.”

“Of course not you,” Desora emphasis as she narrows her eyes at Blaze. “But you may have noticed that this group is a little bigger than our previous session, haven't you?”

Blaze assumes a dull look as she says, “Believe me, I've noticed.” Then her look shifts to a cross between intrigue and confusion. “Though I have to say that I'm surprised you're recruiting her Highness into these drills. Not only is she a mere passenger on this ship, and therefore a civilian, but she is also an Equestrian Princess. I thought that would have granted her diplomatic immunity or something like that.”

“She has wings, doesn't she?” Desora asks sharply. “For as long as that remains true and for as long as she remains on this ship, training for emergency preparation is a high priority.”

“Whoa, there,” Captain Tidus cautions. “Actually, Blaze has a good point. Cozy Glow is not only a passenger and civilian, but also Equestrian royalty. As such, she shouldn't be subjected to this if she doesn't want to be.”

Desora sighs in irritation as she gives her captain a sharp look for correcting her in front of her “troops”, but her look softens as she looks directly at Cozy as she says, “Very well, Your Highness, you may be excused from these drills if you wish, but perhaps you'd care to hear us out on the importance of why these drills are necessary before you dismiss it out of hoof.”

“Now that is a better approach,” Captain Tidus accepts. “Let's give her an educated choice.”

“I think I'm already gathering the gists of it,” Cozy expresses. “Based on who is here, the equipment I see on the ground, and the terminology used thus far, I have come to the conclusion that this training is all about training to rescue the non-fliers on this ship just in case this airship takes an emergency nose dive for some reason.”

“That's the long and short of it,” Captain Tidus agrees to Cozy, “although, in your case, I would call it optional. Everyone else here,” he uses his beak to gesture across the gathered group, “officially works as a member of the crew in some capacity.” He focuses back on her. “Except for you, so you do not have to participate if you don't want to.”

“That said,” Desora quickly cuts in, “I highly encourage you to consider joining us. No matter how inconvenient you may consider this duty to be compared to your previous royal pampering lifestyle, you'll still be glad you did it when an actual emergency rolls around.” Desora waves her feathered arm/wing thing around. “Take a look around. You may notice one critical difference that sets us apart from an ocean going, sailing vessel.”

Not that it is necessary, but Cozy does look around. Because of it, she spots Prince Salizar Alabaster looking down at her from his balcony within his mansion/tent. While he does that, he is holding up his bubble pipe to his lips with a hoof. Several bubbles rise and pop above the pipe. As he looks at her, his expression is difficult to read since it appears so neutral. Undoubtedly that comes after years of practice negotiating with others as royal merchant. Still, the fact that he is so focused on her specifically demonstrates interest. It is as if he was aware this conflict may arise and he wants to know what she ultimately decides.

Seeing him is also a reminder to her that not all monarchs are fat, selfish, and lazy. In fact, ponies like him may actually make decent adventurers in their own right.

As for the others, Rumble is giving her an encouraging look, Golden Compass doesn't seem like she's paying attention and seems to wish she isn't here, and Blaze is giving Cozy a slightly disgusted look as if she expects Cozy to take an easy exit from an annoying chore.

Looking back at Desora, Cozy notices that First Officer points directly up as she says, “That is not wind sails above us, that is a giant balloon strapped to the ship. That is what is keeping us aloft and that is a very giant target for other would-be aggressors who wishes to take down the ship. I will say it is made of very puncture proof and fire retardant material. It also has a lot of cloth fragments within it to help plug up small holes in case there is a leak, but any large damage from something like a cannon ball or swipe of a claw from a giant dragon would tear a hole so large that the cloth fragments within would simply leak out as well.”

Desora folds her hands behind her back again as she continues to lecture, “We currently have twenty souls aboard this ship. Of those, only five can be considered a full-fledged flier. That's only twenty-five percent of everyone on board.” She looks at and nods her beak towards a wooden post on the top deck that has some of the parachutes, then says, “We do have these parachutes in case of an emergency, and I went over that before we launched this ship. It's standard procedure for all new crew and passengers to know this.” She looks back at Cozy. “But, during an emergency, there can be a strong tendency to panic, especially among civilians. When this ship starts to fall, every second counts. A second wasted could equate to a life wasted.”

“Our job is to get them to the parachutes or safe landing on the ground,” Rumble put in. “While falling, it can be very hard to maneuver through the ship.”

“That said, there are a few who have some advantages,” Captain Tidus announces. “For instance, Doctor Pink Heart. She may appear to be the most feeble pony aboard, but her magic makes her quite formidable. I've seen her not only lift herself, but her entire wheelchair up the stairs of the lower decks. Granted,” he gives a pushing motion with a talon, “she doesn't weigh much and even her wheelchair is made of tough but light materials. In an emergency, I think she could navigate her way through the ship with ease. And, if she can't outright fly with her magic, she could at least slow her fall. Enough so that such a scenario would not be lethal to her.”

“I know that magic tingles and tickles,” Rumble adds. “It's why most unicorns don't levitate themselves all the time, but that said . . . they could lift other objects that they are on, such as Doctor Pink Heart's wheelchair. If she concentrates on that instead of herself, she may have to lift more weight, but it's otherwise easier to concentrate.”

“That, and the fact that her wheelchair has a built-in parachute behind her back seat,” Captain Tidus further adds. “So Doctor Pink Heart should be one of the least of our troubles. She might even be able to help us rescue the others, but the point of this exercise is not to count on that.”

“Despite my appearance, I can't fly,” Desora put in. “That said, my wings aren't just for show. If I take off my jacket so that all of the feathers of my wing arms is free, I can use them to at least glide, but there is no way I can lift someone else while doing it. At least not reliability.”

“Which means the First Officer is a low priority for rescue,” Tidus says after his First Officer. “And, obviously, the fliers of this ship can handle themselves.”

“That still leaves Flapjack, Gizmo and Widget, Biggs, Wedge, Maul, Professor Stygian, Professor Rockhoof, Sunset Shimmer, Cheese Pie, Prince Salizar, Mirage and Curb Stomp,” Rumble lists. “Of those, we got some with some heft to them. Biggs, Rockhoof, and Curb Stomp are probably the most challenging to save.”

“That is why,” Desora begins, “I want to make it clear that, in an actual emergency, the goal is not to save everyone, but instead save as many as you can. As long as you apply your best effort, you should have little to no regrets, even if a few of us pass away. That is also why these practice sessions are so important.”

“I can lift some of the big guys,” Blaze mentions. “Rumble might be the most skilled and highly trained flier among us, but I have the most strength. Not only that, I have the most potential to get a grip on others. I can carry others with both of my foreclaws, my mouth, and carry a fourth wrapped within my tail.”

“Can you even fly while carrying all that?” Cozy asks Blaze in rising awe.

“Well,” Blaze reaches up to rub the bottom part of her very long neck, “that depends who they are and their combined weight, but it is very unlikely. If I was carrying someone in each of my limbs, chances are that is too much weight to lift them and my own body weight. Don't forget, I have some heft to me, too. But, at the very least, I can slow them down as they descend and that, in turn, will ultimately save their life.”

“Saving even one life on board this ship could make all this training worth it,” Desora encourages. “So how about it, Your Highness? Are you in, or out?”

Cozy sweeps another look among those gathered. The only one whose expression changed a bit is Golden Compass. Now even the navigation mare is looking at Cozy, but still without much interest. The others, however, have much the same expression as they did before.

After looking among them, Cozy looks down as she thinks.

This sounds like a lot of work, but it also sounds important and could be an opportunity to gather some respect. Respect, in turn, could lead to friendship and greater power down the line. Her mother told her last night that she'd be willing to consider surrendering her crown to Cozy if she wants it so badly, but she needs to pass a series of tests first. Of those, gathering the friendship of everyone aboard this ship is part of her homework. This is a group activity where many are involved, and even some of the non-fliers may appreciate her efforts because it could ultimately lead to saving one or more of their lives.

Aside from that, Cozy wanted more flight lessons with Rumble and here he is, participating with this activity. Likely this was done with the First Officers instances but somepony Rumble probably approves. He's been trained among the Wonderbolts so he understands and appreciates the importance of training like this.

Then she thinks of the alternative of not being prepared. Besides the loss of respect of those present for not even trying, it is frightening to think about facing an actual emergency like this and not be prepared. Cozy can probably save herself at the very least, but there is a part of her mind that imagines how horrified she'd feel if she watches helplessly as one member of the crew fell to their death because she can't help that person.

The first person she thinks of is Flapjack. In her head, she can imagine the holler of his voice as he descends to his death. He does not strike her as a cowardly pony by a long shot, but a circumstance like that probably would overwhelm even the bravest of ponies.

As a test, she tries to shift her mind to someone on this ship that annoys her; therefore, might bother her less to imagine dying in such a way. In this case, the first one her mind jumps to is the shortest diamond dog, Maul. In her head, she imagines him falling. In this case, while he normally comes off as rude and insane to her, in this case his face nevertheless adopts the most extreme form of horror a mortal being is physically capable of. As he falls, his limbs flail about in panic as he desperately cries out, “Pony, heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeellllllllllllllllllp.” His voice quickly grows fainter as the distance increases.

Cozy shudders. Even if Maul is the one she's most uncomfortable around, imagining him in that much terror and knowing he will die if he isn't rescued requires her to be far more pitiless to be unaffected by this hypothetical thought.

That's odd, because she also recalls a time in her life when she wouldn't have given this a second thought. This is especially true back when she was a slave in Klugetown. Almost everyone, except her first friend, were always selfish to the maximum extent. Growing up in that kind of culture made her heart cold which, at the time, seemed like it was inevitable and necessary to survive. Sometimes she would even enjoy the sight of others suffering, especially if they used to cause her own.

But then she thinks of that moment in the hospital of the human world when she stopped and helped up an old man who collapsed. She helped him even during a crisis and through her own fear. Back then, she didn't really think about it. She just acted, but that heroic act left her perplexed ever since. It seemed so out of character to her, so why did she do it?

If someone as annoying as Maul makes her shudder merely to imagine him dying in such a horrific fashion, what would happen if she replaces him with someone she actually cares about? Like Sunset, for instance?

The moment her mind even attempts that, it immediately shut down. Her emotions violently rebel before the image even has a chance to start in her mind.

As a final test, she replaces herself as the victim. She pretends she has no wings or hers is too injured to be of any use at that moment. After all, that has happened to pegasi before.

Normally she likes flying, but the prospect of falling from this height is truly horrifying. It is enough time to contemplate her doom, and yet death seems inevitable in such a scenario. If she isn't someone like Pinkie Pie who can inflate her head and float off like a balloon, or at least be bouncy enough to cushion the impact, then death is virtually certain.

Even if, by some miracle, she happens to survive the full impact this kind of height could deliver, the pain that would follow would surely be so excruciating that she'll wish she had died instead.

For the first time in her life, Cozy is starting to understand the fear her twin sister feels when faced with heights.

No-no-NO! Cozy cries out in her mind as she closes her eyes and violently shakes her head. I love flying, and I don't want to fear it. I am a pegasus. I am one with the sky. This is my home, so I do not need, or want, to fear it.

“Cozy Glow?” Rumbles calls to her as he touches her. Since she was so absorbed in such uncomfortable thoughts, she jolts in panic when she feels that touch or hears his voice.

Startling her startles him. He jolts back as well and immediately releases her, but then asks, “Are you okay?”

“I, ah . . .” Cozy wants to deny it, but tears rise to her eyes. Her lips quiver in pain as she admits, “No. I'm not okay.”

“What's wrong?” he asks with worry. He seems concerned that she might reject this offer of training after all.

“I was . . .” She pauses as she sniffs, then starts again. “I was imagining the others on this ship falling to their deaths if I'm too weak to help them.” She closes her eyes, bows and shakes her head. “It made me so upset to imagine that. Then I thought about how I would feel in such a predicament. Doing so is severely distressing me. It almost makes me afraid of flying.”

“Then don't imagine that!” Rumble discourages. “Instead, imagine yourself as a strong flier,” he now encourages. “That you have the power to save those lives because you are gifted. You have wings. You are a pegasus, so they sky is meant for you. Join us so that others may share in that blessing.”

“This is why we train,” Desora says sympathetically but also with a firm edge hidden in her voice. “So we don't have to imagine failing others. Instead, we can imagine rescuing them. Keep your mind focused on that vision, for it will give you strength.”

Cozy sweeps a look across them all. This time they are looking at her more encouragingly, including Blaze, who also seems surprised that Cozy is considering it this far.

“I, ah . . . I'll do it!” Cozy declares with conviction firming in her eyes. She says that even while her body is shaking. “I'll join you all.”

A cheer erupts from most of the group. Of them, Desora remains the most silent and composed, but even she nods quietly at Cozy with approval and pride.

Blaze outright slaps Cozy's back hard enough to push her and for it to hurt, but she says proudly, “Wow! I didn't think you'd have it in ya. I figured you're too soft and used to a pampered lifestyle.”

“I am,” Cozy assures, “but I'll not allow that fact to limit my destiny. If my friends need me, I will be there for them!”

Another cheer arose from the crowd.

Looking back at the balcony, Cozy notices Prince Salizar spin about and head back into his luxurious tent. He's still mostly unreadable, but the fact he head back inside now seems to indicate he's no longer curious what Cozy would do. He has his answer so he doesn't consider observing her necessary anymore. She hopes that is a small sign of approval.

They accepted me! Cozy cheers in her mind. I'm part of the group now. Yay!