• Published 6th Oct 2021
  • 1,098 Views, 14 Comments

The Best For You - Can-dees_Murder_Weapon



After she went missing in Savannah for a few days, Rarity finally found Lee and Clementine only to discover that the man was bitten; leaving her with no choice but to take Clementine under her wing.

  • ...
2
 14
 1,098

1 Week after Savannah

"Why don't we set up there?" Rarity pointed at the gasoline station they were coming up at on the road. They were arriving in a small town, A few broken cars stationary on the deserted road. Store windows smashed in and trash all over the estate.

It was in the afternoon, or at least she thought it was. They had been travelling for hours, taking only five-minute breaks, sometimes even less. The sun had been completely glossed over by the clouds, painted in grey like a coated canvas. The cabin they decided to take for the night had been overrun by walkers early in the morning when the sun was beginning to arise. The mare didn't want to give the herd a chance to catch up to them. She forced Clementine to keep up with her, no matter how tired she got.

The first few days were the most horrifying. Rarity wasn't able to find any source of shelter, not even a small campsite on the first day; If it were up to her, she would've kept going. She wouldn't have stopped until she found shelter, someplace to sleep in but Clementine had gotten too tired to keep going. She was extremely reluctant about sleeping outside. Hygienic issues were the least of her problems, surprisingly, being Rarity and all but that wasn't the problem.

Way too dangerous. Too dark and they were surrounded by trees in every direction. It was the worst place to get some sleep. They had no camping equipment with them, just themselves... and one handgun. Rarity had stayed up the rest of the night, flinching at every twig that snapped.

"Is there anywhere else we can go?" Clementine asked, trailing along beside the mare.

"No, this place is more... safe." Rarity didn't care if it was safe or not. The station was still holding up, it's windows were covered in cracks. It looked to be extremely delicate, one small tap could shatter the entire window.

The child sighed. "I just hope there's no walkers that we have to deal with."

"Well even if there were walkers, you wouldn't be 'dealing' with anything."

"W-what do you mean?"

"I mean... You wouldn't be dealing with any walkers. If you were to get..." Rarity cleared her throat. "Hurt, I'd be devastated."

"But... what about you? Won't you get hurt?"

"There's no need to worry about me darling, I do have magic after all. If anything tries to harm us, I'll take care of it."

The child hanged her head. "Okay..."

They slowed to a halt outside of the station. The lot was a cesspool of walker carcasses. Most of them had probably been there for a long time by the looks of them. Dried up blood, the horrid smell and crusty skin.

Rarity turned toward the child. "Clementine, I need you to wait out here for me."

"What!?" She worriedly inquired. "Why!?"

"Because there could be walkers in there and I need you to stay safe."

"B-but... I'm safer with you."

"This isn't a debate, you are waiting out here." Rarity replied, leaving no room for argument. The fashionista began making her way into the gas station.

"Lee would've brang me along."

The mare stopped in her path, frowning at the mention of his name. He probably would have. If he were here right now, Rarity wasn't going to have any regrets about leaving the child outside. It was safer out there than it was inside, at least they were able to see if walkers were closing in. Who knew what was inside the station. The lot was empty and as far as she saw, no one was around. Just dead bodies.

Somebody or something could be inside the station, she didn't know.

"Well, it doesn't matter what he would've done because he's not here, now is he?" Rarity paused waiting for Clementine to respond. When she didn't, she continued. "If anything happens, just... yell okay?" The mare's aura materialized around the doorknob. She turned it and pushed it open.

The interior of the station was in cluster. One huge mess, junk all over the place. There were two aisles, it's contents spilled all over the floor... or maybe have been looted by other people. The windows to the left of her provided some light. Thankfully, no walkers were around... yet.

The mare pushed aside a pile of clutter and began making her round through the station. Before moving over to the counter, she glanced around once more, making sure she didn't miss anything. No walkers that may have been lurking between the aisles.

When she found nothing, she moved over to the side of the counter and gasped. The maggot-ridden corpse laid mangled, limbs bent in places it wasn't supposed to be. It's eyes were presumably eaten by the larvae, all that was left was it's sockets.

The mare gulped. "I suppose there are worse fates." She levitated the piece of monstrosity over the counter plopping it down onto the cold hard tile floor. She went through worse, she thought to herself. The mare doused herself in walker gunk, you'd think she'd be used to seeing this filth. The lot is filled with them.

She walked past the counter into the office. It wasn't any better than the room she had just left. It was a simple set-up, a desk, chair and an inoperable computer. It was riddled with paper, a couple of empty bottles, cans, jars; stuff that wasn't important.

Her eyes found a framed photo on the desk, it's glass cracked. The picture was of a small family. A husband and wife with a little girl. They were smiling, hugging each other; entirely in bliss, full of happiness. Rarity couldn't help but feel sad, they seemed so happy in that photo. She wondered what happened to them if they were still alive.

Founding nothing of value, the mare left the room. She sighed, listening to the silence. The mare had no plan, no indication of what to do. Surviving the day? One day after the next? Survive a week, a month, year; then what? Was that it? Just survive? There weren't any other options.

Without her friends or just civilisation in general, life was... meaningless and she didn't like that.

With a sigh, the mare began to leave the station. She pushed open the door and found Clementine looking at a couple of the gas pumps. She walked over to the child. "Clementine, darling," the mare called.

The child turned. "Rarity? Are you okay? Were there any walkers?"

"No, there wasn't and I am fine." She lied. She wasn't fine, mentally at least. "There wasn't any walkers, fortunately for us. We'll rest up here for a little while, then move on." The mare then began walking back into the station with the child following behind her.

"Why don't we just stay here for a while? You know, like back at the motor inn?" The little girl inquired.

Rarity sighed. "Because it's not safe."

"W-why not?"

"Look around Clementine." The mare gestured to the whole station. "Does this look safe to you?"

The question went unanswered and the two of them entered the station. The mare then saw the corpse that she tossed on the floor earlier. She went over to it, nearly gagging. She levitated the mangled corpse and brought it outside. Once she was done, she closed the door and went to rest up.

She hoped to feel more vibrant as time flew by. Maybe if she got some rest, she would feel better. It could merely be exhaustion that was making her feel so demotivated. Hopefully, that was the case...