• Published 1st May 2021
  • 780 Views, 2 Comments

The Element of Balance - Luminous Lapis



Witness Lapis as he struggles through life, fighting for what he loves and all the while burying his dark secrets.

  • ...
3
 2
 780

2: Silver

Standing above me was the mare from before, unfortunately looking rather angry.

"Well well well what do we have here?" I groaned.


"Really? I'm dangling off the edge of a roof and you're taking the time to gloat?" She sat down right in front of me, preventing me from pulling myself up. A sly and superior smile spread across her face as she stared at me.


"Why did you run?" I shook my head.


"No. No, I'm not having a conversation about this right now. Let me up." Her smile spread, silently giving me her answer. I let out a small grunt of frustration. "I can't believe this. I literally refuse to believe this. I'm hanging at least a full story above the ground, a random mare I just met is trying to ransom my life just for the information of why I'm here by refusing to let me onto the roof she's on! And you want to know the worst part? I didn't even want to be here!"


My hooves gripped the roof edge tighter.


"But nooooo, we just had to come and see everything in Ponyville didn't we? Oh yes, go sightseeing and make some friends Lapis so I can..." I suddenly stopped, my mouth agape before slowly looking at the mare before me. She seemed extremely interested to my great displeasure. A heavy sigh escaped my chest. "Will you please let me up if you don't soon you'll be questioning a corpse." She stared past me, pretending to be unaware of my current plight. "I'll answer any of your questions!" Immediately, but still obviously not trusting me, the mare moved aside and I quickly pulled myself up and collapsed. After letting out a small groan and shutting my eyes tight I felt a shadow pass over me.

"Really? I haven't even been laying here for a minute and you're trying to ask me questions?"
"Sue me. I'm bored and I'd also like to know why you threw... whatever that was in my face."
I let out another sigh. "First off, that wasn't at your face, it was at the ground."
"You understood what I meant."
"Second, it was a smoke bomb."
"Why in the name of Celestia do you have a smoke bomb? Who carries smoke bombs around?"

I opened my eyes and stared up at her, a little ashamed I kept mentally referring to the mare without proper terms.
“I’m sorry, what’s your name?”

“Oh no don’t think you can just change the conversation by asking what my name is. That's not happening.”

I shook my head. “No seriously, you chased me down and let me hang on the edge of my roof before finally letting me up. I think I at least deserve your name.”

She seemed to believe me and relented. “Alright. My name is Silver. Silver Streak.”

"Really? That's quite a fitting name. Is it from your-"
"Yes, yes it's from the color of my mane. It was so… what’s the word? Colorful, or bland I suppose that my parents decided to give me my name off it.” I watched as Silver flicked her short mane in front of her.

"You think it's a nice color don't you?"
"Huh? W-Well I mean yes! I-I didn't mean to stare at you! That was rude! I’m sorry!” A knowing smile spread across her face.

“Ok enough messing around. I know quite a few ponies in Ponyville and I’ve never seen nor heard of you before. Therefore you have to be visiting or something like that.” I stared at Silver, caught a little off guard. “I… might be.”

She raised her eyebrows. “I won’t hesitate to push you off this roof.” I was now completely caught off guard. “Ummm… yeah let’s not do that please.” A small sigh escaped my mouth. “Alright fine I’m visiting with mmm…Myself. Just myself. Nopony else.”

Again, Silver raised her eyebrows but thankfully shrugged and didn’t press the topic. “So just you then? Any reason for this completely normal visit?”
I debated how much to tell her.
“Just a… visit. A tour!” Silver looked skeptical. “Yeah, a tour of all of Equestria! Next stop Yakistan!”

“…”
“…”
“All alone?”
“…Yep.”
“Got any postcards from anywhere else? Any proof?”
All I could do was turn and look as Silver saw right through my pitiful lie.

“No? Ok fine! I’m here with somepony else! Happy?"
She merely shrugged. "I'm just asking. No need to get all defensive about it."
I let out a small sigh. "Yeah, you're right. Sorry." Silver waved her wing and dispelled my small guilt. "It's ok. But if you don't mind me asking..."
Oh, here we go.
"Who is it you're here with?" I let out a small sigh, again not wanting to tell her anything but she seemed so...trusting.
I mean, it couldn't hurt, right? "I'm here with... Trixie Lulamoon. And please don't ask me why I'm begging you."

Silver looked a little unnerved but merely shrugged. "Ok, ok I won't ask if you don't want me to." I stared at her in shock. "Really? You won't?" Silver looked confused. "...Yes, I mean obviously I want to ask but it clearly bothers you enough to tell me not to. So I won't." I couldn't believe it. "Oh thank the Fates. Every time I go somewhere it's always 'Hey who are you?' 'Where are you from?' And it's so annoying! I just want to be left alone sometimes and no matter where I go ponies always ask me questions. It's not that I don't like them it's just that sometimes I don't want to talk and nopony seems to understand that." I glanced over at Silver, quickly realizing I had shared too much.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to ramble on like that."
"It's ok. I can understand wanting to be left alone and such."

Her voice trailed off and we sat there, both of us unsure of what to do.
Oh, Fates I screwed up! Why do I do this every time I think I can trust somepony? I'm an idiot! The last time this happened was with her- NO! Don't think about her! You promised yourself you would forget!
"Well um anyway do you want to go do something? We've been talking here for a while now and I kinda don't want to miss the celebrations." I looked up. "You want to do something with me? Are you sure?" Silver gave me a small smile and for a moment I felt a strange warm feeling in my chest. "Of course. Why wouldn't I? I don't hate you or anything for not giving me an answer. We can still be friends." She stood up, stretched her wings, and held out her hoof.

At that moment I had a strange moment of clarity and realized I had two choices. I could go back to Trixie alone and continue my monotonous cycle of pain and suffering, or I could trust this mare who herself had no reason to trust me but did. With this mare, with Silver as my friend, I felt I had a chance to break my cycle.

I reached forward and grabbed her hoof. "That sounds great." Again, she smiled and then turned away. "Come on! Let's see if you can keep up roof runner!" She tensed her legs and wings before suddenly jumping and began flying away. I quickly ran after her, leaping across the roofs before suddenly realizing I was smiling.

She was fast, faster than most pegasi were but I managed to keep up. When the buildings ended I jumped down and continued on the ground unsure of where we were going but hardly caring. I could see the town square ahead, the sky darkened above, with the festivities below brightly lighting the surrounding area. I slowly came to a stop, watching as Silver circled for a moment before diving down and landing in front of me. We both lay down, out of breath and tired. "You're pretty fast you know. Well, for a unicorn at least." I scoffed. "Oh really? That's how it is?" She smiled. "Just calling it like I see it. Anyway, do you want to get in closer for the celebration or stick to the edges?"

I stood up. "Let's try to find Trixie and watch it with her. We're pretty close to her wagon." Silver stood as well. "Lead the way, runner." I couldn't help but smile as we started trotting along the edge of town where there weren't as many buildings. I wanted to talk but I felt too nervous, Silver however seemed to have no problem. "So how long are you visiting for?"
"Well, that depends. We planned on staying just for the celebration but who knows? It might change." We crested the hill with Trixie's wagon and I looked at Silver. "Finally! Trixie should be right he-"

I froze.
No...No...NO!