• Published 3rd Sep 2012
  • 649 Views, 9 Comments

The Big Apple - Womboman666



Small Town Musician seeks out bigger things in Manehattan

  • ...
 9
 649

Nothing Left

It was really late by the time they should've been home, but I didn't hear any giggles from my mom or dad swooning her with some mushy love line.

When they left they usually came back before midnight. It was past two in the morning. I could call them and see what they're doing. I dialed in their number and held it to my ear, but no answer. I guess they stayed at friend's house or something.

Do mom and dad have friends? I guess the neighbors could count, even though we just borrow stuff. I shouldn't be this worried about it. I'll see them tomorrow and it'll be fine, I'm over thinking this shit.

* * *

I went to bed and woke up in a couple hours after but I didn't want to get out of bed, something weighed heavily on my mind. I couldn't put my hoof on it but something told me that this was going to be a long day. After debating whether to get out of bed to just stay up or try to go back to sleep it became obvious that I wasn't leaving anytime soon. I rose up from my bed and lazily went downstairs

Stretching my way into the kitchen with little lights except for the street lights. I grabbed a bowl and poured myself cereal. I brought my exquisite dish into the living room, turning on the television I flipped through different channels. Like always there was nothing on. I settled on the news and drifted in and out of the dumb stories that were being told. Somepony was able to rip off a whole bunch of rich ponies from Canterlot, reported sightings of some alien in a forest in Los Pegasus and some older mare won big in the lottery.

Bored with what was on, I checked my phone to see if I had any messages.

Nothing. I guess nopony I know has anything new to say. Eh, it is only early morning.

My attention came back to the news, the anchorpony went back to a story discussed earlier about an armed street robbery gone wrong here in Ponyville. I felt something growing in the pit of my stomach but was able to ignore it, but as he progressed with the story the feeling grew with every word until ignoring it was hopeless.

“The ponies were gunned down in an alley after refusing to give into the robber's demands, and it went south as witnesses say they heard gunshots.” It was a live feed from outside where mom and dad frequented whenever they went out.

Typony's.

It couldn't have been them could it? There was no way, not them. I continued denying it but something else, an instinct is the best way I could describe it, told a different story. I left the house to go to Typony's, I had questions that needed to be answered. As I was leaving I heard the anchorpony say “More on this story later as it develops.” It isn't developing fast enough.

Thoughts and questions flooded my mind as I raced to the scene. Are they okay? What if this is a dream? I'm over thinking things. Will I ever wake up? Go back home. This can't be happening. What is going to happen? Why would anypony do this? This isn't real!

Anger and frustration clouded my thoughts and only made it harder to come to a rational decision. I can't stand this!

All the while one question was asked more than the others, What will I do?

I saw lights and a crowd, amongst it were police, the news, and random ponies who wanted to find out what happened in their small town. As I approached the crowd I could hear a little foal crying for it's mother's attention. Ponies gasping and whispering at something they've only seen on television, never imagining it actually being something that could come true. The police shaking their heads at something they wished they could've prevented. It was a sad day for all of us here.

I tried to get in but nothing was getting in the mob of ponies. I went above them and observed what I could of the scene. Onlookers and police staring at the ground floor playing out what may have happened versus what did happen. The detectives arguing over evidence. The lights of the different vehicles blinding anypony unlucky enough to catch a glimpse of it. Everything came at once and made me nauseous.

“HEY!” A officer yelled at me, “GET DOWN FROM THERE! THIS IS A CRIME SCENE NOT A FLY ZONE! BEAT IT!”

I wasn't leaving that was for sure, I touched ground and was able to make my way to the front where the police were standing forming a barrier from the public and the alley. I tried to find somepony who might know something more. Looking to my left looked like one of the higher-ups, I worked my way past other ponies and was able to get close enough to talk with him.

“Um, excuse me but I'm looking to find out who was shot tonight.”

He turned around, and stared at me as if deciding if I was real or not. “It seems you and me have a common goal. But everypony here wants to know who it was, and right now we don't have time for kids. So get lost.” He turned around to face his other cop buddies who looked at me as if I was a huge joke.

Fuck these guys, I'm not leaving until I get something, “Look,” He turned back around giving me a look of annoyance. “My parents haven't returned home after going out earlier tonight, and I haven't heard anything from them.”

He sighed and brought his hoof up to his face and wiped away something that wasn't there. “All right fine, if you think you know something go to the station and tell them exactly what you told me and they'll bring to you to the bodies to see if you can help identify them. Feel better?”

I left without giving him an answer.

On my way I got lost in the light rain that started, the way it felt was like a warm shower but softer, almost like little kisses were being placed on my head and back.

I felt a little disappointed going in the station. I approached the front desk and told the pony occupying the space, “I'm here because I think I can identify the two ponies that were murdered tonight.” She looked up from her work and looked slightly annoyed.

“Hold on one second,” She opened a drawer and pulled out some papers, “I'm going to need you to put as much information as you can on this and see me when you're done with it.” She handed me whatever documents and a pen and motioned for me to sit over in the chairs next to the door.

“Thanks.” She smiled a fake smile and got back to whatever it was she was so busy with. I took a seat two seats away from the entrance and got down to the forms.

Name, date of birth, Social Security Number, phone number. All the questions being asked seemed unimportant and made filling it out, a chore. Questions still popped into my head, although this time around they were calmer not as frightening as they were before. I was still uneasy about what I was going to see, the mental image I was providing myself made me stop and play it out.


* * *

I was being led by a officer and he opened a door leading me into this weird bright green-blue room where lights hung from the ceiling over examination tables. The extreme light made my head spin and get a little sick. There was a pony in there waiting for the both of us, he was standing next to two body bags. The sight of them made me fearfully anxious. He greeted both of us and motioned for us to come to him. The officer patted my back and left without saying anything.

Slowly making my way towards him my fear grew, I wasn't sure what I could do at this point other than face whoever lay inside. The mortician looked at me and asked “Are you ready?”, I gave a few seconds before nodding my head. He said okay and proceeded to unzip the bag, I looked away until I heard him stop. With my eyes closed I turned back to the body bag, I let go of my feelings for a second and saw my father, eyes closed, a solemn look on his face, and a hole in his skull.

A tear escaped and I was barely able to speak, “That's.. That's my dad.” he nodded and zipped him back up. “When you're ready to proceed with the second one I'll be waiting.” He moved over to the second bag and waited. I stared at the bag containing my father for what seemed like forever. My body shook from the news, as if my mind was still processing it and my body was the only thing helping it understand.

Memories of my dad flooded my thoughts, like when I learned how to ride a bike, or the times we would go fishing, him giving me advice on mares. But he was gone, and there was nothing I could do except silently weep.

I turned to the other pony and nodded my head, he then proceeded to unzip the bag. Instead of breaking away like I did before I continued to watch. There she was, just like dad. Calm, no longer a part of this world. “That's my mom.” I could feel my heart being ripped and torn, and it hurt way more than any type of pain I may have experienced before.

I moved closer to her and got a better look, she was still beautiful. Tears fell down my face and landed on hers, I wiped my eyes and turned away, still shaking, but harder. My mom was gone, thoughts invaded my mind, especially those of when I was younger. Her kissing my scratches and making them feel better, her wonderful smile that brightened the room, her always being by my side when I needed somepony to turn to.

He zipped her back up and he left saying that I had five minutes to make my peace. Five minutes? To say what I needed to say the only ponies who saw me through thick and thin? Yeah, don't die.

I took a seat on one of the examination tables and sighed not knowing what to say. What could be said? Hey mom, hey dad, you're dead and stuff but I'm leaving forever so bye.

A minute passed and I still had said nothing. But what was I supposed to say? I rarely thought about death, let alone my parents being dead. If anything I should've been older in my thirties when it would've happened and not them being murdered. Who thinks of this shit?

Two minutes remained, I had nothing. I didn't know what to say, or what to do. I felt shutout from the rest of the world. As if everypony else had disappeared and it was just me, my mom and my dad here in this tiny room.

Time was frozen.

I was blank, emotionally and mentally. Reality had beaten me down and stole my parents. I was quiet the rest of my time there.

The same pony came back, whether or not it was to tell me I had to leave or to check up on me, I didn't care. I got up and walked slowly to the door, but before leaving I had turned and said “I love you... I'll miss you,” I paused “Goodbye.” I turned and left. I left my parents, I left the police station, and was going to leave it all. It was only a matter of time, and time was short.