• Published 2nd Jan 2021
  • 439 Views, 1 Comments

Last of the Charbons - Black Owl



Under the poor rule of Chocolat de Roseburne, the rich city of Flowena is quickly falling into despair. In these hard times, the last heir of the Charbons comes forth in hopes of reviving his dying dynasty.

  • ...
 1
 439

Last of a dynasty.

While I know that writing this diary could easily get me accused of treason, this is the only way to to nondestructively vent my anger.

All of Flowena's troubles started with mayor Chocolat de Roseburne's accoursed speech about his so called "new year's resolution", a speech in where he promised to make the City of Flowena "the jewel of Griffonia!", too bad that incompetent rooster couldn't even rule a kindergarten, let alone a city. But I hope that at least the other officials would stop any idiotic plans of his from going through. I mean, how bad could it get?


...I stand corrected, much to my amazement, it only took that goof three months to ruin the economy, the military and the education system with his idiotic plans. I think he will soon hold the record of 'fastest way to ruin a prospering city', but it could be worse, we could have a three way civil war like Longsword. I merely hope that things won't get worse.

[A large section of the diary is scribbled over with large amount of ink, making the covered contents unreadable]

I feel ashamed of my lack of control shown in my writings above, so I shall rewrite them anew. A plague appeared in the city, and Chocolat decided it was a good time to host a party. I shall repeat myself again just in case it wasn't misunderstood. A plague is now ravaging the city of Flowena, and that imbecile hosted a party. Boreas, give me strength to endure this idiocity.


After looking over his latest entry, Nicolas turned his focus back towards his post, determined to be one of the few who are still properly doing their jobs. But that was quickly changed as soon as he heard the news. Without any care for consequences, Nicolas took to the skies, flying over the disease-ridden city towards his small and derelict family manor. He slammed open the doors of the manor, ripping away the old hinges as he rushed inside, pushing past the few servants they still had. But it was too late. By the time Nicolas entered his father's room, the patriarch of the Charbon family had already passed away.

The elderly griffon stood unmoving, eyes wide open as he stared into nothingness while a viscous liquid dripped from his opened beak, the signs of the Wet Plague. Trough all his pride and strength, all Nicolas could do was fall to his knees frozen in shock.

The plague was truly merciless towards the elderly, killing them in just a few hours, and the news came too late to him, and now he would never know his father's last words. So there he stood, in front of his father's corpse, as a realization hit him. He was now alone, the last of the Charbons, once Princes of Pomovara and overlords of Flowena, now reduced to almost nothing.

As soon as he left his deceased father's room, the pressure of a hundred generations of the Charbon lineage weigh down upon him. The bloodline's survival was now in his claws, and his alone. But that was something easy to do, for all he needed was to find a patrician chick to marry and bear as many children as possible to save his bloodline. But what if he wanted to bring his family to glory, would it be worth the risk...?

With this choice in his claws, the answer was obvious. How could he, the last heir to the great Charbon family, be content with a modest life. How could he let his family's legacy fade into nothing!? I once thought this chaos was a curse by Boreas, or a sick joke by Maar, but now I can see what this truly it. An opportunity. A chance. Boreas... No, fate itself has given me a change, an opportunity to turn around the fate of my dying family, to revive a dynasty of Princes! I shall take advantage of this chaos and overthrow the status quo, and all shall know and fear the name of the Charbons!


This plague shows the problems of having a weak ruler, and such problems cause fissures between the relationship of the ruler and the ruled, fissures which could be seized by a powerful and great person who can recognize it. And Nicolas believes himself to be such a person. For he desires to seize control from the incompetent rule of Chocolat de Roseburne and save Flowena from his stupidity, as well as removing the tumor that is the Roseburne dynasty once and for all.

But he had a choice to make, should he choose the safety of working in the shadows or to boldly go forth in the light. Yet after great thought, the choice was quite obvious, how could he even dream of bringing back the glory of his family while hiding in the shadows with the rats? Nay, he shall work in the light with the favor of the people, because nothing great was achieved by scheming in darkness.

The city was split in two parts, the partisans and the common griffons, and to be able to rule Nicolas was forced to gain the favor of one of these groups. But this time the choice was quite simple to make, for the common people are honest and hard working, while the partisans are strong and will not wish to change a system where they are at the top, as such he shall seek the support of the people!

With his support growing, he decided to make a risky move, instead of hiring professional fighters like mercenaries, he decided to rely on the militiagriffs. To others this choice would be seen as a mistake, yet to Nicolas it was an obvious one. Who would put his trust into griffons which kill for coin over the ones which he knew personally after enduring years together? Fools, that's who.

But during the planning many things changed, from the imposed quarantine to the order to release cats out in the city to catch the rats which were believed to be the cause of the plague. But this only made things worse as it only got many militiagriffs sick, including the commander Astrit Koch, which later died. A pity, she was a wonderful hen and a great leader. All of this could have been so easily prevented by a more competent leader. Such a mistake only angered the people, which only increased Nicolas' popularity.

The mayor's support only hit rock bottom when a rumor that the recent fire which killed thousands was caused by him, a fact that, if true, meant that the mayor was not only stupid, but also insane. Nicolas truly hoped that this wasn't caused by Chocolat, because while he wished to overtake him, the fact that someone who would do such a thing was in such a high position of power made him think that the nobility truly didn't deserve to be saved. But that problem doesn't matter now, for the time has come for things to finally change in Flowena, because Nicolas put his plan into action.


Today was the day the magic happens, I've spent much of my time and fortune hosting private speeches and spreading pamphlets across the city to make sure that I was heard by as many griffons as possible, I promised many things in those pamphlets and speeches, from ending the suffering of the city to purging the corrupt government. And I intend to keep said promises, for I have shown my skill trough my job as a commander. I even vowed to Boreas himself that I would have the interests of the people in mind instead of the patrician's, despite being a patrician himself. But this isn't the time to think of the future, for all that matters right now is the present.

I marched from the barracks towards the People's Palace, many commoners joining us, our ranks growing at a rapid pace. And so, the few hundred I started with turned into a few thousand. Yet, as I approached the palace, I almost faltered. In front of the palace stood thousands of mercenaries armed to the beak, their numbers where equal if not larger than ours. 'Somegriff must have told them about the coup. We cannot beat them, they are larger in number and are better equipped. Is this truly what Boreas desires? For me to fail?' But such thoughts were quickly banished from my mind. 'I have planned and fought beak and claw for this moment! Do they think I will go down without a fight?' As anger surged trough my veins, I grabbed my pistol and saber and glared towards the mercenaries. 'I may kill our dynasty today, but at least it will be a death in battle, and not one of flowers, withering away in some pompous palace or mansion. I only hope that you are proud of me father.' And with those words floating through my mind, I charged, prepared for death.

But death never came, for despite my belief that I would charge alone, I was greeted by the pleasant surprise of having the people, no, my people charging right besides me. Happily following me to what could be their deaths, they've shown me that even if I die, I will not be alone. And as the charge neared the mercenary line, the unexpected happened. The so called "professional" mercenaries turned around like chicken, with their tails between their legs as they ran, not willing to give away their life for coin.

And so, we marched into the palace unopposed, finding the officials hiding in terror. And so, we 'convinced' the mayor to grant me rulership with the help of many rifles pointed at his head. "And now let it be known that, while we may have accomplished this coup with rifles and sabers in our claws, none have perished today!"

My words brought cheers from my followers, as words of praise filled the palace: "Long live Nicolas De Charbon, hero of the people." And so, I have taken the first step to revive our dying dynasty. 'Have I made you proud, father?'

Author's Note:

This was mostly written in response to large writer's block that hit me for a long time, and while excessively playing EAW instead of doing anything productive, I've found Nicolas de Charbon's story to be interesting enough to write about, so here I am. Hopefully its at least enjoyable without having to look at a wiki every five minutes to understand what is going on...

Editor's note: Hi! :3