• Published 1st Sep 2012
  • 601 Views, 12 Comments

A Shadowless Day - Ko the Wolf



What other nations exist outside of Equestria? What is it like there?

  • ...
 12
 601

Answers

Pounding. Owww... Equinox held his hooves to his forehead, breathing in through clenched teeth. Every muscle hurt, his mouth was dry, and this throat felt raw. He coughed a little, instantly regretting it as the pain in his throat worsened. "Did anypony get the number of that cart that ran me over?"

A smooth, cool cloth pressed to his face and he relaxed as the pounding in his head lessened. "Equinox," a quiet voice said, "Congratulations, you have successfully preformed your first rage-shift." the dark colt's eyes broadened, opening up to reveal their green color. "Tell me," Amnesty said, "What do you remember?"

Equinox closed his eyes again and concentrated, and a series of images and feelings came to him. Anger, fire, words- his eyes shot wide again. He had told someone. His mouth fell open in horror. He had told someone that he likes colts. His head slowly lifted as fear gripped his heart with its icy claws. Eventually meeting Amnesty's eyes, he gazed up at his teacher in terror. He jumped back to the wall of the cave, trying to cower as best he could behind something, anything. "Please, d-don't hurt me...I'm not a c-c-colt c-cudd-" he squeaked as Amnesty reached out for him, closing his eyes tight, whimpering pitifully, and trying to shrink down as far as possible in preparation for what he was sure to be a beating.

But, all he felt was the soft caress of devotion. He still crouched, afraid that he was being mislead, but Amnesty spoke and his eyes opened in surprise,"Oh Equinox, I'd never harm you. You shouldn't be afraid of me over something so trivial." Amnesty continued to smooth Equinox's mane, trying to relax the poor little colt.

"Y-you, you don't m-mind?" Equinox sobbed softly, feeling hope flare in his chest and a weight lifting from his shoulders.

"Not at all, you are who you are and nob-" Amnesty was cut off as Equinox wrapped his forelegs around his neck, hugging his teacher tightly and sobbing into his rich, black fur.

"N-nobody understands me! J-just because I like other colts they would hate me!" He buried his face into Amnesty's short mane.

The dragon brought up one arm to hug Equinox back. Holding him in place, he gently shifted until he was lying down on his back so that the distressing colt wouldn't have to stand. Stilling hugging him, Amnesty gently stroked his charge's back as it was racked with sobs, "Shhhh...it's going to be okay, just let it all out. Nopony will hurt you here." They stayed like that for about fifteen minutes, and then nearly half an hour where Equinox began to calm down and the sobs became fewer and lesser. Eventually, the colt was just breathing, a hiccup or two was the only thing that disturbed him. Amnesty broke the silence,"Equinox, how long have you known?"

"Almost...almost a year now" he said, still reluctant to talk about it even if he knew it wouldn't result in his harm.

Amnesty nodded solemnly,"I can imagine how not being attracted to fillies would pose a problem for you."

Equinox looked up for the first time in a while, chuckling nervously,"It isn't all that bad actually...I-I like fillies too. And my father doesn't know...I just...I just know that he wouldn't take it well." Suddenly feeling very tired, he yawned and snuggled into Amnesty's fur. His teacher was so warm and kind...and although he didn't why at the time, seemed to fill a malnourished hole in his heart reserved for a parent. No, he knew why. Amnesty was kind, supportive, and wise. "Hey Amnesty?"

"Yes little one?"

"...Thanks..." the colt smiled as he said the last word, giving his mentor one last hug before falling asleep again, drained from his despair earlier. His dreams didn't haunt him that night, and instead filled with warmth and tenderness.

--

Light filtered through the windows, amber in color from the morning sun. Equinox opened his eyes, feeling well rested for the first time in...had it only been a couple of days? Even that long? The amount of time he had spent in Ponyville seemed to have been more than that. He lay in bed for a couple of minutes, finding solace in the quiet as he pondered the fact that his memories were returning. Why had they suddenly come back after all these years? How could he have forgotten about Amnesty like he did? Of course he remembered some of the lessons...but it was as if certain details had been cut out. The largest of these being that he wasn't disgusted by the idea of two stallions in a relationship...and the fact that it kinda seemed...as natural as a stallion and a mare or two mares. Adding onto that...he sort of, no, wanted, to try being in a relationship with a stallion.

He was about to delve deeper into this, but his door opened and a familiar mare walked in. Her white coat and pink mane were accented by the amber light, and Equinox looked away in shame as she met his eyes. "Mr. Nox?"

"I'm sorry...I'm so sorry for what I did. I...I don't mean-"

"Please sir, I understand. And don't worry, I come bearing good news." He looked up to see her smile, his head tilted to one side. "On the doctor's orders, you're to be released from the hospital today as your condition has stabilized."

--

Almost five minutes later found Equinox standing a couple of feet from the door of the Ponyville Hospital. The sun shone in the sky, dotted by only a few clouds resting in the sky. A warm breeze swept by him and his mane and fetlocks parted and blew with it. The wind invigorating him, he felt more energetic and determined to do something. But...right now it looked like the only thing he could do was walk back to Rarity’s house.

The market square bustled with activity. Ponies were out, browsing goods or just taking a walk and enjoying the good weather. Wow, there are so many things here. But, wouldn’t it work better if there was only one store? The dark stallion pondered the difference between Equestria and Progress. He observed the vendors as they worked. These ponies genuinely loved their work, and they smiled and laughed with the customers. No, no this is good too. Everything here seems to...to shine with its own kind of light. It’s a healthy hybrid of variety, and I don’t think I’d ever find anything like this back home.

Also, ponies in Equestria acted differently in public than ponies in Progress. Passerbys would smile at each other. They waved and exchanged greetings with just about everypony. Some even acknowledged Equinox as they went about their daily routine. At first he was awkward, but after a few minutes, he returned their smiles and instead of giving a curt nod in their direction, waved back. Yes, ponies here are definitely more...carefree? Friendly? Well, something like that. His thoughts were interrupted as someone tried to get his attention.

“Hey! Hey you there!” Equinox swiveled his head around, his eyes meeting two blue ones set into a bouncy, pink pony with a poofy, cotton candy mane. She nodded and said, “Yes! You!”

Equinox stopped and faced the energetic mare. Thoughts of anger and general disgust tainted his mind but be pushed them aside. If I’m willing to put my life on the line for an Earthpony, then I can certainly talk to one...just have to make sure I don’t make it all awkward...Horseapples, how do I talk to an Earthpony? Is it like talking to another Unicorn? Blasted-

“Finally I found you!” She said, her eyes gleaming with triumph. She rummaged around in her saddlebags for a moment and extended a pink hoof to him. It was a envelope, which Equinox took in his green aura and held onto. “Well?” she looked at him with an expression of impatience and eagerness on her face, “Open it silly!”

What is wrong with her? Does she have ADHD or something? Wait, was that mean? Eh, buck it. Let’s just see what this is. He tore open the envelope with his magic and pulled the letter out. BOOM!!! A shower of confetti exploded everywhere, making Equinox drop the letter and step back defensively. What the hay?!

“Fine then, I’ll read it for you.” the pink one said, clearing her throat. “Dear Equinox, you have been invited to the welcome-Equinox-to-Ponyville party! Be there at five o’clock tonight!” She handed him the message again and he gingerly took it in his hoof. “See you there!” she walked away briskly, continuing to talk as she faded from his earshot. “They’ll be cupcakes, and cake, and punch, and music, and dancing, and...”

Equinox stared blankly ahead. What...what? I don’t even...Aw man, I didn’t even say a word...totally awkward. He examined the invite more closely, But this is a rather nice invitation, and...a party? What’s a party?