• Published 31st Aug 2012
  • 2,669 Views, 35 Comments

Paper Spike and the Thousand Year Door - Sakunyan



Crossover between Paper Mario and My Little Pony

  • ...
5
 35
 2,669

Chapter Nine: Glitzville

Chapter Nine: Glitzville

After returning the Element of Honesty to the responsible hooves of Twilight and Cheerilee, the group examined the map to determine where the next Element would be. Luckily they realized they were halfway there.

"Got any word from Celestia yet?" Spike asked Twilight. She solemnly shook her head.

"I haven't heard from her at all! Where does the map say my Element is?" Spike looked at it closely. It still appeared to be in the same spot it was earlier, which was the dark town of Twilight Town. Spike found it humorous that it had that name, but didn't mention that Celestia was in Twilight considering the situation. Sweetie Belle suddenly pointed elsewhere on the map.

"Do you know where that is, Cheerilee?" She had pointed to where the Element of Loyalty was located. Cheerilee nodded.

"Yes, it looks like that's in Glitzville! It's a city much like Cloudsdale, meaning it's also in the sky. There's a blimp to get you there just in town, actually!" The group cheered. "…But tickets are a bit expensive. I can pitch in some bits for about… one ticket." She left and returned with a sack of bits. When she poured them out, it appeared to be close to the amount Applejack had paid Flim and Flam. Spike gulped.

"Oh, well, I can fly there if I have to." Fluttershy pointed out. "But… I only have a few bits for Sweetie Belle's ticket." She timidly contributed some bits to the pile. Twilight reached into her bag and pulled out a small coin sack.

"Think this will be enough?" She poured the coins on the table. Cheerilee examined the pile.

"Yes… I think that should be plenty!" The group sighed in relief. "But you might want to hurry, it only takes off from Rogueport once a day!" Spike nodded and shoved the bits into a coin pouch. "It's rather close to the Apple family business. You should see signs leading to the station around there!" They thanked the two mares and quickly got on their way.

The ride to Glitzville was rather a relief compared to all the walking they had been doing on their adventures. It reminded Spike a lot of when he had ridden in the hot air balloon with Pinkie during the Running of the Leaves.

"You think Fluttershy will be able to keep up just fine?" he asked Sweetie Belle. She looked out over the edge, spotting a yellow-pink mare off in the distance beyond some clouds.

"Yeah, I'm sure she'll be fine." Spike wandered to the other side of the balloon and looked out, trying to spot the flying city of Glitzville. They had been riding for several hours now and he was hoping they were getting close. "Hey mister, are we getting close?" he asked the stallion working the machine. He sighed.

"Kid, I'd say we're about an hour and a half away. Trust me, you'll know when we're almost there." Spike sighed, sitting back down against one of the walls of the balloon.

Just as the stallion had said, it became quite obvious when the balloon was nearing Glitzville. In the distance they could spot a large floating city, not much unlike Cloudsdale. However, the city here didn't seem to be completely made up of clouds, meaning they'd be able to walk along the streets without falling through. In the center of the city they could see a large building which reminded Spike of the Cloudsdale arena. He tapped on the shoulder of the stallion.

"Mister, what building is that?" he asked.

"That would be the Glitz Pits, a stadium for ponies to challenge each other in. There's a rather large competition going on right now, which is why the price of a balloon ticket is so high." Sweetie Belle and Spike stared out at the city. They could see that Fluttershy was already waiting for them at the balloon dock.

"This city is so… big." she noted as they hopped off of the balloon.

"Yeah, it's really cool!" Spike said. Sweetie Belle looked at the map.

"Maybe a little TOO big. How are we going to find Rainbow Dash in here?"

"Rainbow Dash? You're hoping to meet up with Rainbow Dash?" A posh looking Pegasus approached them. "HA! Meeting up with the Glitz Pits Champion? Highly unlikely, darling. Even I haven't been able to meet her in person yet!" She wandered away, holding her head up high.

"Glitz Pits… Champion? Rainbow Dash?" Fluttershy and Sweetie Belle shrugged their shoulders. "Well, I guess we know where to check first then."

The Glitz Pits seemed bigger on the inside than it did on the outside. Fluttershy stayed between Spike and Sweetie Belle to make sure they didn't get separated from her, mostly because she didn't want to end up lost and alone. They headed with the crowd through a pair of large doors in the back of the large front area. Just ahead they could spot what appeared to be an arena, but couldn't tell who was in it.

"Lift me up, Fluttershy!" Spike said, hopping up onto her back. He looked over the crowd to the arena where he spotted two ponies in combat, one of them Rainbow Dash.

"Do you see anything?" Sweetie asked him.

"Yeah, there she is!" he replied. "Rainbow Dash! Rainbow Dash! Over here!" With as much screaming as there was going on, there was no way anyone could hear him in the crowd. Suddenly, he was pulled off of Fluttershy's back.

"Nice try, kid, but it doesn't work that way around here! Come on, time to get out!" Him and Fluttershy were swiftly pulled from the crowd, Sweetie Belle attempting to follow them out. The two were being pushed towards the exit when a sudden crowd started walking by, accompanied with the flashing of cameras.

"Spitfire! Spitfire! What do you have to say about the match that's going on with the Champion in there?"

"That kid's got no chance! I've faced RD myself and let me just tell you, she doesn't go easy on anyone." The mare smiled for the cameras, then looked over to where the group was, the guards having to stop to let the paparazzi pass by. Spitfire's face suddenly lit up. "Hey, I remember you! You were helping Ponyville with that hurricane when I came to supervise!"

Fluttershy looked around nervously as many eyes were suddenly on her.

"Who, me? O-oh, right, I was there! Haha…" The paparazzi began to snap a few pictures of her, which caused her to hide her face. The guards released her and Spike.

"Sorry, miss Spitfire, we didn't know that you knew these guys…"

"Nah, it's no problem. Come on, guys, let me lead you to the back of the building, I can let you meet up with RD after the match!" The paparazzi continued to take photographs as they followed Spitfire through a pair of doors marked 'Contestants and Employees Only'.

"How long had Rainbow Dash been here?" Spike asked, puzzled.

"RD? She's only been here for a few months but she got to the top quicker than anypony I've ever seen!" Spike racked his brain, trying to recollect when Rainbow Dash said she was going to be leaving Ponyville to travel elsewhere. Soon the four were nearing some locker rooms.

"Hey, Spitfire, you need anything? You're on in about half an hour!" Sweetie Belle's mouth gaped open.

"Scootaloo? What are you doing here?"

"Sweetie Belle?" The two friends suddenly tackled each other in a playful hug.

"Why are you in Glitzville?" Scootaloo laughed and pushed off her friend.

"I heard Rainbow Dash was coming here so I decided to tag along and managed to get a job here!" She scratched her head. "Sure, it's bringing towels and drinks to sweaty ponies, but who cares! I get to hang out with Rainbow Dash!" She cleared her throat and turned to Spitfire. "Sorry, did you need anything?" Spitfire laughed and ruffled her hair.

"Not now, squirt. You're all good." Scootaloo nodded.

"I better be on my way, then, but come see me later after the stadium closes, alright?" Sweetie Belle nodded and the young filly trotted off.

"Boy, just all sorts of ponies you guys know here, huh?" Spike nodded.

"Yeah, I guess so!" Spitfire continued walking.

"We don't really need to check out the locker rooms… unless you enjoy seeing a bunch of ponies taking showers." She giggled as Fluttershy's face turned bright red. "And if we keep going this way, I can show you a better view of the arena!" She led them to the end of a hallway and opened the door which led to the inside of the arena. Sneaking along the wall, they reached a spot where the four could get a great view of the competition.

Rainbow Dash currently had her opponent, a young stallion Pegasus, in a headlock. The referee was counting down the seconds.

"…Aaaand Rainbow Dash wins!" The crowd began cheering madly, including three from the group. Fluttershy, though, had gone quiet.

"It's… Iron Will!" she shrieked as she stared at the referee.

"Hmm? Yeah, he's the big boss around here. Mostly does referee stuff for show but he does a heck of a lot more behind the scenes, too." Spitfire told her. Fluttershy cowered back. The battle being finished, the stallion trotted off stage with a disappointed look. Rainbow Dash, though, basked in the glory as she showed off for the crowd who was cheering wildly. When she had finished, the crowd was being ushered out of the doors by security guards and she was trotting off stage towards them.

"Nothing like getting the applause of the fans, eh Spitfire?" she said when the mare walked up to her.

"Sure, but that happens every day for you. How about something new, like this?" She motioned back to the three who were standing by the wall, waving to her.

"Fluttershy? Spike? Rarity's sister?" Sweetie Belle frowned, but the other two ran up to greet her with a hug. "What are you guys doing here?"

"We came to see you, of course!" Fluttershy said, beaming.

"Yes, but what we really need it something from you to help Rarity." Spike added.

"Rarity? What's wrong with her? Her cat got stuck in a tree again and she needs my help?" She giggled, but Fluttershy frowned sadly. "It's more serious than that."

"Rarity is trapped and we need the Elements of Harmony to save her." Spike told the mare. Rainbow Dash was taken aback.

"Are you… serious, Spike? Are you joking with me?" Spike shook his head.

"Not joking. We really do need your help." Rainbow Dash furrowed her brow.

"Jeez, yeah, I'll bring my Element with you guys wherever you need."

"Rainbow Dash, wonderful performance out there! One of your best yet!" The mare turned to grin at Iron Will, who had come up behind them.

"Aww, you say that every time! They can't all be the best, Will!"

"Nonsense! The constant increase in ticket sales says otherwise!" She laughed and turned to the others.

"Will, meet my friends from Ponyville! Spike, Fluttershy, and…"

"Sweetie Belle. It's Sweetie Belle."

"Right, yeah, Rarity's sister. Anyways-"

"Hey, I recognize you." Iron Will said, pointing at Fluttershy. She froze in shock.

"W-who, me? No you don't, I've never met you!"

"Yeah I have! You attended my seminar!" She trembled with fear. "I think you were one of the greatest success storied I've ever had!" Fluttershy opened her eyes, staring at the Minotaur.

"…Really? Are you sure?" He nodded at her. Fluttershy let out a sigh, releasing the tension. "Oh, thank goodness! I thought you would hate me for what I said! I became such a monster back then!" Rainbow Dash gave Spike a confused look, but he had no idea what she was talking about.

"Sooo… you guys took a tour of the Glitz Pits yet?" Rainbow Dash asked the three. They nodded.

"Yeah, I gave them a bit of a tour around the place." Spitfire added. She turned to Iron Will. "You should get them some backstage passes so they can come whenever they like!" Rainbow Dash nodded in agreement.

"Hmm, I'll think about it…" he said, then began laughing along with Spitfire and Rainbow Dash. "Sure, sure, just have them come to my office and I can get all three of them passes."

"Oh! Speaking of your office, I need to have a little chat with you later." Iron Will raised an eyebrow at Rainbow Dash.

"Oh?"

"Yeah, it's kind of important… think we could do it before Spitfire's match?" He sighed.

"I guess that's alright… but only for you, Dash." She smiled.

"Thanks, Will. Come on, guys, I can get you some passes and then you can go explore the rest of Glitzville and come back later, alright?" They all agreed and followed Rainbow Dash and Iron Will back into the hallways of the backstage Glitz Pits. Rainbow Dash fell a bit behind to speak to Fluttershy. "And don't worry about the Element thing. I'll talk to the big guy and we can get out of here to save Rarity's flank as soon as possible! Until then, make sure you enjoy yourselves; this is a city to see!"