• Published 31st Aug 2012
  • 2,031 Views, 3 Comments

Dragon Eye - Zubric



A simple family heirloom or so Mark thought. Next thing he knew he was in Equestria as a teenage dragon.

  • ...
9
 3
 2,031

Chapter 1: Bracelet of Mystery

Chapter 1
Bracelet of Mystery

1500 years later on Earth


Tick, tick, tick, was the only sound to be heard in Marks room as he stared intently at the blinking cursor on his computer screen. After an hour of staring not one word had been typed. With his inspiration failing him, he groaned "Still nothing coming to me, man I hate writers block." The last hour had been filled with nothing but the low hum of his computer and constant head scratching "Gah, this isn't helping any." He said as he rose from his chair and walked out of the office.

Mark stood still as he looked about his basement lounge unsure of what to do to unwind his strained mind. Plopping down on the couch, he sighed. The wall across from him was lined with several movie posters, most of which were Science fiction related. His eyes scanned the wall as he tried to think. His interest in the genre had been what had lead him to become a writer. His interests had expanded since then, but it always remained the center of his focus. Needing some new perspective, he stood up and walked over to large bookcase that took up the far wall. His finger slid across the rows until he came to the book he was looking for. With a quick tug, he pulled it out and admired the cover. The cover showed a great battle taking place. A knight took up the majority of the page standing on top of a dragons chest his sword plunged into its gut. While fantasy wasn't his first choice when it came to reading, he had slowly become intrigued with the genre. While science could be explained as magic when it was unclear of how it worked, real magic was just that, a mystery, an unknown factor that could shape the world to the users will.

As he flipped find the bookmark, a loud knock at the door caught his attention. Running up stairs, he opened the door to find a rather bored postman.
The Postman expression changed in an instant as he recognized Mark. "Mark, how's it going? You never told me you live here."

Mark smiled, "Oh I've been fine, just doing the usual. What do you mean I've told you before?"

"Oh right, I must be mixing up the other Mark across town." He chuckles as he hands Mark a clipboard.

Mark signed his name as he looked down at the crate next his friend "What with the crate?"

Taking the clipboard back his friend replied "Not sure but it's from all the way across the country from the posting on this thing. Anyway I got to get to my rounds see you later."

Mark Waved goodbye as he pulled the crate inside. After examining the container, he grabbed the handle and slid the lid off. Inside sat a large envelope along with round metal object placed inside a foam mold. Taking the envelope out first, he opened it and looked inside. The envelope was filled with an assortment of images along with a very official looking document.
Wondering who had sent the crate to him, he pulled out the letter and began to read.
“Dear Mark Knight, in accordance with the statements left in the deed by George Knight, the following contents belongs to you.” Mark paused as he remembered the funeral for his Uncle George. Mark thought to himself 'Uncle George, Right he was an artifact collector wasn't he?' After a moment, he continued to read “Enclosed are several images and a family artifact.” The letter continued on listing out long lines of legal talk. He quickly read the rest and placed it on the table nearby.

Mark carefully popped the metal bracelet out of its container. The bracelet was large coated in what appeared to be gold, the rims lined with small gemstones. The outside rims consisted of blue gems while the inside rims where red. As he continued to examine it a small emblem caught his eye. He looked closer to see it was a dragon eye embedded into the inside and outside of the ring. Inside the emblem was yet another small, crimson gemstone positioned in place of the pupil. The gemstones sparkled like glass as sunlight bounced off its surface.

Mark dropped the bracelet as shock shot up his arm. As it clattered to the floor, it began to glow in a soft white light a few moments later the light faded. A little taken back by the sudden light show he rubbed his eyes. He stared for a long moment down at the bracelet hesitating to pick it up. After it was clear it was silent once more, he picked it up. The sensation returned lingering for several seconds. Another light softly glowed from the metal and faded before Mark could see. As he examines it in more detailed, he notices an small inscription under the eye in ash coloured lettering “Dragon eye master key.” He read "what in the world does that mean." It took him a moment to realize he had said that out loud, but the thought quickly passed. Mark found it was helpful to talk to himself when alone. It helped him think better most of the time.

"Well might as well try it on" he says as he slips the bracelet onto his left arm. Despite it being metal, it felt soft against his skin. Adjusting the position of it, he thought to himself “I wonder where George found this.” Mark pulled out the photos and looked at them for clues. Many of them were images of George at a dig site at an old building of some kind. One photo showed George holding it up to the camera as he climbed out of a pit. Other photo's showed the close up of the dragon eye symbol and engravings. Before he could examine the images further a red light emitting from the dragon eye on the bracelet. The light pulsated slowly as it grew in intensity. Mark collapsed onto the floor as a shock shot through his body. The red light began to expand as it spread down his arm and over his chest. Panicking he reached for the bracelet and tugged with all his might. His body felt like it was on fire as the glow spread over his body “what’s going on?” His efforts proved in vane as the glow flowed over his head. Mark screamed as a sharp pain shoot through his entire body. His vision blurred as the world around him slipped away in a flash of blinding white light.