• Published 1st Sep 2012
  • 825 Views, 4 Comments

Fair Flight - Baryski



Fair-feather is embroiled in a war between two organizations. Will everything change with a meeting

  • ...
 4
 825

Chapter 8: Traitorous Blood (Creed)

The fire crackled lowly, flitting small embers of it’s warmth onto Astra’s coat. Across the fire, and eternally out of the light, his compatriot lounged. God forsaken cold, secluded meeting places. The wind was biting and only intensified by the straight lines the buildings created, funnelling more and more of the chilling darkness into them. Why Umbral chose meeting places like this was something beyond him, but it was out of the way, even by Hooftail standards.

“We're not making any progress. The master will not be pleased,” Next time pick a damn hotel. Astra glanced at his counterpart a small jovial laugh escaping his pursed lips, letting the night air steal a bit more warmth from him.

If she was going to drive him into a dark back alley to tell him something useless, he was not going to stop making fun of her the entire time, “You're telling me the Master of Shadows can't find two lowly ponies in this city?”

False move, Astra. Raven slapped him hard across the face, without anything but her hoof reaching out of the shadows. She was frustrated that two ponies, out of which one appeared she liked the attention of a superstar, managed to evade her for a whole day. By now, she would have had a lead. Rainy days were usually uneventful, though. “It’s been hard. The damn assassin knows how to cover the tracks.” And soon she’ll be on ours if we don’t act quickly.

The colt rubbed his cheek lightly where she had slapped him, apparently oblivious to the issue at hand. “The Creed, fine. I could imagine she would be harder to track. You can't find that other pony though?” Sometimes, you’re such a moron, Astra… That’s why I’m in charge of the operations around here… At least I don’t have to do them myself.

Raven shouted, perhaps a bit louder than she would’ve liked. “If I could find her, I would have found the other one as well!” Calm down, Raven. Attachment leads to mistakes and sooner or later she will slip. Though it might be too late… Unless… Raven put her head in her hooves, apparently hopeless. The plan she was brewing, however, spun a dangerous game. Now she needed to decide if Astra could be trusted.

The numbers were not ticking down in their favour. One annoying pony was nothing, but two was getting a little conspicuous. Not to mention what it meant for the reputation of two highly skilled assassins, “Well, that only leaves so many options then.”

Once again, the shadow let out a small bit of emotion. This time a slight chuckle, “Heh,” A pause as she composed herself to the next words. A chill ran down Astra’s side, he was not going to like what came next, “I've got one. But it really depends on how far you're willing to go.”

“As far as it takes, always.” Astra observed a lot of freedom within the organization, in no small part because of his skill and plotting. He wasn’t happy with flowing into Umbral’s pace, but she was the only one who could keep him from losing that much standing given the situation.

“Meaning?” The cold voice seemed almost impatient. She wasn’t playing games this time around. A pity, games are fun.

“Meaning, tell me your idea. I might have a trick or two up my hoof as well.” Raven didn’t know what to say, for once. She wanted to trust him, but the situation was uncertain. And she wanted to make sure he understood he was expendable.

“You know this will end up with your death should you not co-operate. I'm just giving you a heads up because I like to have someone good in the sack at my side.”

“This ends up with both of our deaths if we don't have good news for the master soon...” Good, at least he understands that. “Really, I wish I could just stick to poisons” If this works, you’ll go way beyond poisons, Astra. If not… you won’t go far beyond your grave.

“You know who's next in hierarchy after the master, right?” A wide grin appeared on Raven’s face. Astra could only guess what she was brewing. However, it was too good a plan to not relish in its glory.

“Noo, not at all,” He dripped his voice in sarcasm, letting the weight of the situation go for a moment. Stupid questions were getting nowhere and the fire was starting to die out, ashes scattered quickly by the horrid wind.

“The idea is simple, really,” She didn’t even seem to care about his sarcasm. The plan at hoof was far more interesting than anything the pony could offer, “Even you could carry it out. We need an information spill on the master's whereabouts. To the trade guild, I'm guessing.”

“Then, we are planning the exact same thing,” He tried searching around for another piece of wood, or scrap of flammable material, anything to bring the fire back to life, “We've always got a few of them who do side deals for me, I'm sure a few extra bits will get the information that authentic feeling.”

“No. I mean it.” Raven was starting to get irate. The tone of her insistence feeling worse and worse, “Give the two the location of the master. We know nothing about this, find them in the master's chambers, with him murdered. We'll be prepared for intruders, kill the two, and assume command.”

You’re serious about this? Ambition was one thing, ambition was many things, but to try and change everything. Astra didn’t exactly feel one for the responsibility, but he did like a desperate mare. Through a heavy sigh he started playing out his words, “You know, I'm not much of one for that kind of a job,” Leaving a pause while he pretended to contemplate the implications. He really didn’t care about the implications, if they succeeded Raven would be in his pocket for all eternity, “But, for you, I'll make sure they are caught with bells on.”

“After this, there'll be no place to hide for them. Hell, even the Shadowbrands will have every member trying to track them down.” The plan was flawless. There was no way any hideout would remain unturned after a master’s death. The killers would be caught and executed. Umbral Raven never really liked the old master. It is time the old stallion actually did something useful.”

“Like turn this city into a complete warzone?” You’re not as stupid as I thought, Astra... His laughter proved that he did like the plan as well, no matter how absurd it seemed. An inside job was never attempted in the same division before. “You always do dream big.” I think global. I kill local.

“A warzone, yes. But our war zone.” The thought simply made Raven smile. Hooftail would reign supreme, under her grip. Neither renegades, nor their aeon-long rivals could stop it. “It's two against the world. How long can they evade two divisions. Lore never could, and they were some of the best”

Warzone’s, supremacy, Raven was barking up the wrong tree if she was trying to coerce her partner. Still, he wasn’t entirely against the idea, “As long as I get a place to work, and a nice mare to tend with I'll get you your power.”

“Oh, so I'm not good enough, then?” It was hard to tell with the shadows cast by the fire, but Astra imagined the mare smiling from his comments. Exactly what he wanted, and he intended to push it. A scrap was thrown onto the fire, eliciting only the slightest bit of revival from the dying embers.

“I was talking about you, my fair mare.”

“Nice save, Astra. But remember, we are professionals,” She could protest things like that all she wanted, but Astra knew she enjoyed it. Not only that, but he was well aware that after sharing this plan she was hardly in a position to object to him, “Just because you got to see what's under my hood it doesn't mean you can also show it to the others.”

“Like I said, as long as I get to keep seeing it, I'm happy enough.” Mostly. He also wanted the chance to continue working in peace, and enjoying the comforts he often bought from the trade guild. A life was nothing if you couldn’t enjoy it properly. Raven was the last piece of his utter enjoyment.

“You've fallen out of line, Astra. What is it that got you so soft?” I’m a different kind of soft.

“I'm not soft, I just know how to have fun. I rather like fun.” He laughed a bit into the wind. Astra should have known a pony like that wouldn’t be able to really get where he was coming from. Working as an assassin was great, but it was more worth it to play the odds and have a life of actual enjoyment. Why not pad a few pockets, pay some lip service, and live it up properly? A Creed was living on borrowed time anyway.

“Mhmm. I'd rather have fun than listen to that old grump,” Was she actually agreeing with him? Was there actually hope for that cold pony yet? Astra would have resolved right then and there to take her to a club, but there were more important issues at hoof.

“Exactly my point,” In the end he settled for letting that slide till another time. He could teach her how to have fun any time he wanted. As long as they both survived the next few days. And, she settled for striding over and ruffling his mane like some kind of deranged master.

“Good boy.”

Oh, she was going to pay for that comment later. Maybe a lot later, but he could imagine the whimpers now as he laughed it off, “I feel like I'm trading one master for another. At least this one is sexy.” The air hung a few seconds before Astra spoke up again, dragging the topic back on track, “I'll take care of getting them the information, you just need to make sure they aren't caught before they find him.”

“Just give me some sleep poison and I'll take care of the rest.” At least she was good for one thing. Well, three things if you also counted that thing she did with her tail. But, the matter at hand was that she could be trusted to get her job done. Soon, a small blueish vial found it’s way through the air to Umbral, guided by Astra’s expert hoof.

“You know me, I’ve always got the good stuff.” Let’s hope you had better stuff than Seal. At least you’re better than him in bed.

With a swift move, Umbral tucked the vial inside the folds of her cloak. “Good. Get your part done and probably you'll get a nice reward, if I'm in the mood for it.” Approaching the embers slowly, she kissed Astra lightly on the lips. I have to admit, I like it as well. He’s fun, sometimes.