• Published 30th Oct 2020
  • 1,586 Views, 70 Comments

The Magic of Love - ashley-luv



Rara's visit to Ponyville brings up strange feelings for Rainbow Dash. Will Rainbow Dash acknowledge the truth, or will she lie about her feelings for the element of honesty?

  • ...
2
 70
 1,586

the last ones

Rainbow Dash had been right: a love story like her and Applejack's was never meant to be average. Following their on-stage professions of love, they returned to Ponyville to live out their epic romance.

Everything that followed was beautiful. Their first date. Their first kiss. Their first strictly platonic all-nighter. Their first 'I love you.' Their first time sleeping together (though they didn't do much sleeping). Their first time sleeping over at each other's homes and staying for breakfast. Their first joint family dinner. Their first romantic weekend trip. And so many more first's...

Rainbow Dash learned, yet again, that her worries were for nothing. She and Applejack shared plenty of firsts: in fact, the most important ones. AJ's past experiences (which Rainbow Dash later learned were limited to dates and impromptu kisses) didn't matter. Why?

Because, while they had known the magic of friendship before, it was nothing to what they were experiencing now. Applejack and Rainbow Dash were learning about the magic of true love.

And it truly was magical.

Applejack became a magnet for Rainbow Dash (more so than before). In public, Dash always flew close enough to casually place a hoof on AJ's head or, if they were sitting, sat so close their bodies touched (and, if there was a table, Rainbow Dash never hesitated to keep a soft grip on AJ beneath it). Applejack, who had always been a bit shy with being physically affectionate with Rainbow Dash, preferred quick gestures of PDA, like nuzzling noses or quick hugs.

Everypony was surprised that Rainbow Dash was the more physically affectionate of the two. So, while their friends adjusted easily to their new status as a couple, it was unsurprising that Rainbow Dash was teased the most about it.

After a lifetime of actively disliking sappiness and displays of affection, Rainbow knew it was well-deserved.

Despite the teasing, everypony loved watching the little ways Applejack and Rainbow Dash were changing because of (and for) each other. The mature and level-headed Applejack was more carefree, while the hot-headed Rainbow Dash was more thoughtful and empathetic. Applejack made time out of her busy schedule to cheer on Rainbow Dash at her Wonderbolts performances, while Rainbow Dash often helped Applejack with her chores after practice. And on top of all that, they went on regular dates at least once a week, whether it was for a run and then a picnic or just dinner and playing games at Sweet Apple Acres.

Of course, it wasn't an easy romance. Their tempers and stubbornness were grounds enough for huge arguments. But they had a rule: never go to sleep angry. That rule kept them from holding onto any anger or frustration that may come up. It taught them to communicate, to be patient, and to be willing to be wrong.

And, for each other, Applejack and Rainbow Dash would do anything, including put their pride aside.

There were also external conflicts, like the time Rainbow Dash got seriously reprimanded for skipping Wonderbolts practices in order to spend time with Applejack. Spitfire warned Rainbow Dash to keep her priorities straight.

But one dinner with the Apple family sorted all that out. In Spitfire's words: "If you bring me some of AJ's apple fritters when you're late, I'll conveniently forget it happened."

There was also the time Applejack got injured while saving Spike during a friendship mission. Though AJ had not been seriously hurt, Rainbow Dash had been inconsolable. She called out Spike for being careless, and exploded at Twilight for continuously putting Applejack in danger. But Rainbow Dash had been most upset that Applejack had been in danger, and she hadn't been there to protect her.

The situation led to their first major decision as a couple: either they face danger together, or not at all (with Rainbow Dash blatantly saying, "Equestria be damned, I'd pick keeping you safe over all the kingdoms any day").

From then on, Twilight knew to only send one on a mission if the other was going too. Their instinct to protect each other gave them something (or, better said, some pony) to fight for, pushing them more than ever to succeed.

As Twilight put it: "Team Appledash is now absolutely unstoppable."

But all the conflicts had been worth it when the day came for Rainbow Dash to ask Granny Smith for her blessing to marry Applejack.

"I finally quit the yappin' and started actin'," Rainbow Dash had teased, a throwback to what Granny Smith had said all those moons ago.

Once Rainbow Dash got on three hooves, it was an immediate yes from Applejack.

Their wedding day was, hooves down, the happiest day of both mares' lives. They, like Big Mac, held the wedding underneath the Apple Pear tree. They had wanted to keep the wedding small, but that had been impossible from the start— they had too many loved ones. From family to friends to even past students, their wedding guests were varied but all overjoyed for the couple.

Of course Rara had been Applejack's mare of honor. And, in a surprise decision, Rainbow Dash chose Spitfire as her best mare. Though many had thought it'd be Fluttershy, Spitfire had been a special witness to AJ and Rainbow's relationship. So, it was only fitting she was up there when the two said their I do's. And, not wanting to divide their friends nor offend anypony or creature, Applejack and Rainbow Dash decided to forego the call for bridesmaids.

So, with Mayor Mare acting as officiator for her third Apple wedding, Applejack and Rainbow Dash wed.

The newlyweds had thought it impossible to be more happy... Until the Apple family unveiled their wedding gift for the pair: a relatively large cottage on Sweet Apple Acres. As the unofficial heads of the Apple family, it had been the Gold Horseshoe Gals who gave the two teary-eyed mares the keys to the place.

The gift had resolved another conflict. For weeks, Applejack and Rainbow Dash had struggled with the logistics of where to live after they married. Applejack couldn't bear to leave Sweet Apple Acres, but Rainbow Dash wanted them to have their own space. With the cottage, AJ got to stay on Sweet Apple Acres, and Rainbow Dash got the privacy she wished for.

Rara and Spitfire gave their best mare/mare of honor speeches together, with Rara adding the sentimentality and Spitfire the comedic relief. Afterwards, Rara gave a live performance for the duo's wedding song.

And while Rainbow Dash enjoyed the attention, she knew her new wife— wife, I can't believe Applejack is my wifewas anxious to get away from the spotlight. So when dawn came, Rainbow Dash was more than happy to help Applejack onto a royal chariot (which had been lent as a gift from Twilight) and whisk her away to their honeymoon.

The chariot ascended into the sky. In full view of all their loved ones, Rainbow Dash and Applejack kissed with such love and disregard for the world around them, it was more obvious than ever that the two had mastered the magic of love.


Many moons passed. Equestria had changed; Ponyville had changed. It's only right Applejack and Rainbow Dash changed, too.

Applejack was now the official head of Sweet Apple Acres. When Granny Smith died, she bestowed the deed of the land to her eldest granddaughter, knowing the farm was left in more than capable hooves. Big Mac, Sugar Belle, and their son lived in the old farm house, while Applejack and Rainbow Dash continued to live in their separate home. Though it had started out as a cottage, Rainbow Dash's love for the extravagant meant the home was constantly remodeled (and it helped that Rainbow Dash had married a mare that knew how to build and repair anything). The cottage was large, practically a house borderline mansion, but Rainbow Dash kept the cottage vibe for Applejack's sake.

Rainbow Dash was now captain of the Wonderbolts. Having been the youngest on the team before, she was the only one left of her original teammates. Soarin had been the first to go: unlike Applejack, he accepted Rara's offer to travel the world with her (though she had asked as his girlfriend, so there was that added factor). When he left, he never looked back, inspiring the rest of the Wonderbolts to retire one by one.

Rainbow Dash fondly remembered Rara, who was now one of her bestest friends, as she and Applejack headed towards Twilight's palace. She specifically reminisced about that concert all those years ago, and the role Rara played in getting Applejack and Rainbow Dash together.

If it hadn't been for Rara, who knows if I would have ever been gotten the mare, Rainbow wondered, glancing at her wife trotting below her. She immediately banished the thought— a life without Applejack was unimaginable.

"Darn it, I think we're late," Applejack broke Rainbow Dash's internal tangent.

Looking ahead, the reason why Applejack said that was clear: a familiar blue coat had just disappeared into the castle. If Rarity, who was fashionably late to every meeting of the Council of Friendship, had beaten them, they were definitely late.

Rainbow Dash gave Applejack a familiar goading look. Applejack rolled her eyes as if she was above whatever Rainbow Dash wanted.

Suddenly, the cowgirl broke into a run.

"Hey! That's not fair!" Rainbow Dash called as she flew after Applejack, the two racing towards the entrance while laughing.

They may be older, but that didn't mean their competitive natures disappeared. It was remarkable that they were just as strong and swift as they had been when they were younger, a fact many of their friends were in awe of.

Once they reached the castle and rushed inside, the two bickered over who won.

"You're such a sore loser," Applejack teased.

"Am not."

"Are too."

"Am not."

"Oh, don't get too riled up, Rainbow," Applejack teased. "You started it."

"Well, I wouldn't have started it if I hadn't been trying to hurry you up," Rainbow complained good natured. "Which I've had to do all day."

Applejack rolled her eyes in playful exasperation. "Might I remind you I only took forever back at the farm because I was finishing up all the chores by myself."

Lost in their own world, the wives didn't notice they had reached the throne room.

"Maybe we could get to places on time if you let me do some of the chores instead of always doing everything yourself," Rainbow chastised with a smile. She already knew where this comment was going to take her: absolutely nowhere.

"Maybe I would if you did them the right way," Applejack shot back with an adoring look, to which Rainbow Dash rolled her eyes. She had guessed what Applejack was going to say, but it didn't hurt to try to convince her again.

"Oh!" Applejack's eyes widened. They had been so caught up in their own world, they hadn't noticed they had arrived in the throne room.

Walking inside together, the pair received fond smiles from some of those already present: Twilight, Rarity, and Spike. Years had passed, and it still warmed their hearts to see how the usually hyperaware pair could forget everything in the world except each other.

"Sorry," Applejack said sheepishly, half apologizing for being late, half for being distracted by her wife. "We're not the last ones, are we?"

Rainbow Dash took one more sneak peek at Applejack. She would have put a hoof on the cowgirl's head, but she noticed a filly besides Twilight. The stranger's presence was enough to make Dash refrain from the affectionate gesture. Not because she was embarrassed, but because she knew Applejack (despite the years) was still her blushing bride, and was shy about PDA.

For now, loving glances will have to do.

Author's Note:

The dialogue written after the line break is based off the series finale (s9e26) of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic.