• Published 5th Oct 2020
  • 205 Views, 4 Comments

Sunlight's Saccharine Sack of Sufferable Sour Sounds - Sunlight Rays



A collection of contest entries that are yet to be published or scrapped drafts that never made it onto the site.

  • ...
1
 4
 205

Rage

Author's Note:

Date of Creation: August 26th, 2020

Fluttershy recounts on her memories with Rainbow Dash.

Unfinished entry for PANIC FICTION 47 held at Quills and Sofas. Written in 25 minutes, edited for 5 minutes. The prompt was 'Emotions'.

Do not go gentle into that good night,

Old age should burn and rave at close of day;

Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Do not go gentle into that good night, Dylan Thomas —


Rage is simple.

Unlike love, which appears in many forms and comes from many places. Unlike happiness, something that becomes further and further away from you the more you pursue it. Unlike sadness, which creates the dilemma of one weeping while another laughing like a maniac while looking at the same scene.

No, rage is simple and consistent.

Rage is anger evolved into its final form. Without an exit to vent its pressure, the scarlet explosive gas of anger builds inside the container of one’s mind, increasing in pressure and temperature. The container is flexible, able to bend to accommodate the excess pressure building up, but it has its limits.

Eventually, the anger, the droplets of clouds that have coalesced and condensed over the years, become a ball of red mist, seeking for the tiniest of sparks to ignite itself and let it out in a massive explosion that would dwarf the Sun in its heat.

Hence the reason rage is so dangerous; not only because of its volatility but also because of how few danger signs it shows before the final explosion.

Rage, like any other grandeur, builds up from the smallest of things.


I knew Rainbow Dash ever since I was a filly. We went to the same flight school and took flight lessons together.

I was shy and timid, even more than I currently am, and was unable to fly very well.
Because of that, there would always be foals who bullied me. And Rainbow Dash, like the loyal friend she was, would always stand up for me.

Then, one day, just to stand up for me as usual, Dash started a race with the bullies. But when the race started, I fell from Cloudsdale all the way to the ground, while I uselessly flapped my small wings to get myself to fly.

Just then, when I thought I was about to die, a group of butterflies came and caught me. They set me down on the ground, in a small town called Ponyville. It was at that moment when Rainbow Dash successfully pulled off a Sonic Rainboom, and so I gained my cutie mark.

I soon became attached to the small town and got a small cottage for me to live in. I was content with living in Ponyville since caring for animals turned out to be my talent, and there were a lot of animals that needed my care. So even though I didn’t get to see my family or Rainbow Dash that often, I was satisfied with it.

Needless to say that Dash and I no longer talked to each other that often. Time passed, and although we sometimes wrote between us through the mail, we weren’t as close as we used to be.

Looking back on it, that might have been the first danger sign that could have been noticed.