• Published 28th Aug 2012
  • 1,686 Views, 170 Comments

My Little Tribute: The Pony Games - Regidar



In this alternate universe, ponies must battle against each other for survival in an arena.

  • ...
15
 170
 1,686

Prologue

I was never any good at fighting.

I’m Octavia. I was born in District 12, and I thought for certain I would die in District 12. But, a certain event would change my life forever.

Equestria is a smoking shell of what it once was. At least, that’s what I assume. Like most ponies, we have no idea what pre-war conditions were like. I suppose some historians in Canterlot might know. They give us the watered down version in school.

Equestria was ruled by Two Princess: Celestia and Luna. One day, an unknown force attack Equestria and the nearby Griffon Empire. We won, but both kingdoms were shattered by the war. Famine, disease, poverty... all ran rampant through the broken lands. The Princesses power waned, and the griffons isolated themselves from us. Things looked pretty grim.

In an attempt to instil order into Equestria, 13 districts were established. Each gave a certain boon to Canterlot, the capital. Like, District 5 is power, and District 12 where I live is coal. However, a revolt was led against the princesses by their old enemy, Discord. The war that followed was called “The Dark Days.” All the Districts except District 13, which mined graphite, helped in the rebellion. In the end, Discord proudly hung the heads of the Princesses on pikes above the palace entrance. District 13 was obliterated for its disobedience.

Discord had a fine job cleaning up the mess that was left of Equestria, but in the end he managed to fix it up quite nice. However, being the twisted deviant he is, he wanted to have complete control over us. To ensure that, he established something called “The Pony Games”, where he has each District send one mare and one stallion to fight to the death in a giant arena every year. This practice was established 74 years ago, and when our story starts, the 74th annual pony games were about to begin.