• Published 16th Sep 2020
  • 190 Views, 2 Comments

A (W)Hooves Story - Bizmarck_au



An origin story of how Dr. (W)Hooves and Derpy got together... and how Derpy got to be kick ass, when in a pinch ^^.

  • ...
 2
 190

3

Another half a year went by. Derpy had gotten considerably better with her clumsiness and awkwardness. Her self-confidence building up over time thanks to her growing social successes. No longer was she often avoided at parties, and she enjoyed the ability to chat with anyone while keeping her goofiness at a more endearing level.

She had also kept up with her training with Dr. Whooves. Her growing aptitude had allowing the Dr. to enjoy the benefits of a competent sparring partner as well as lab assistant.

Despite Doctor Whooves reservations, Derpy had insisted that she become more active in his experiments, which also meant accompanying him on various outings. Something he tried to accommodate around her mail schedule whenever possible.

Dr. Whooves had tried to dissuade her, as many of his experiments and excursions were not always without danger. But Derpy had refused to leave his side and her company was a lot more appreciated then even the Dr. would admit.

The two ponies found themselves in a hot and dusty town in southern Equestira. They were in a beat-up old saloon sitting at a half-broken table. In front of them were two glasses of lemonade in old glasses. The rough looking bartender pony gave them an odd look from the bar.

Derpy was grinning happily. Using her wings, she was using one to fan herself and the other to fan Dr. Whooves who sat near her.

Dr. Whooves had his eyes closed and was enjoying the breeze created by the grey Pegasus pony.

“They are late,” said Derpy, looking up at the cracked clock on the wall.

“Do you even know what they look like?” she asked, looking around at some of the unsavory characters scattered around the saloon. The two of them looked quite out of place.

“No need to worry, my contact said that they would recognize me,” he replied, keeping his eyes closed.

Derpy took a sip of her lemonade through a straw. Her nose crumpled a bit, it was quite sower.

Four Pones entered the saloon, all were wearing wide brim hats and Poncho style coats. The leader looked around the room. Derpy could clearly see the black stubble on his chin, but not his eyes.

The leader nodded to the other three and all four approached the table where Derpy and Dr. Whooves were sitting.

“Dr. Whooves?” asked the leader in a thick accent, keeping his eyes covered.

Derpy folded up her wings and Dr. Whooves addressed the newcomers.

“Yes my dear fellow… and who might…”

He was interrupted when the newcomer placed a small pouch onto the table, a few crystals spilling out as it fell over.

“Do you have the gold?” the stranger stated.

“Wonderful my dear fellow,” said Doctor Whooves excitedly, the quality of the crystals was better than expected.

“Yes yes,” said Doctor Whooves, regaining his composure.

Reaching down into his saddlebag, he produced a small pouch of his own, placing it on the table careful. It opened a bit to show a tiny bit of the glittering gold inside.

“As agreed,” he said happily. “I hope it was not too much trouble to get them, that mine is not exactly easy to get to, or safe.”

“We are professionals,” the gruff stranger replied with his thick accent.

Dr. Whooves grabbed the pouch to inspect the crystals. Derpy looked at the four ponies who were just standing there.

“Are you not going to check your payment?” she asked.

The leader of the four raised his hat. Derpy could see his two cold eyes under a tumble of thick black hair.

“No señorita,” he replied. “In fact, we have a further proposal for the Dr.”

The stranger’s eyes lingered on Derpy for a moment, her eyes were in the crossed position and she was smiling harmlessly.

Dr. Whooves looked up.

“Yes?”

“I am well aware of the normal use of such a crystal, that you have requested,” said the leader of the four, taking the last seat at the table.

“And my contacts have informed me of what you are capable of making with them, my dear doctor.”

Dr. Whoves expression turned serious.

“What did you have in mind,” he asked.

“I would like you to build me something like this,” the unshaven stranger stated, reaching into his poncho, he produced a piece of paper which he placed on the table and slid towards Dr. Whooves.

Dr. Whooves and Derpy looked over the sketch, Derpy frowned.

“I think three examples would be fair payment for the remaining Crystals, no?” he asked, sliding the pouch of gold back towards the Dr.

Dr. Whooves frowned, he looked up at Derpy who had a serious expression on her face, she shook her head ever so slightly.

“I’m sorry old bean, but no-can-do,” doctor Whooves said, sliding the piece of paper back with the gold.

“We do not make weapons,” he continued. “We will have to stick with what was originally agreed.”

“That is a pity señor,” said the stranger, taking off his hat.

Many in the saloon instantly recognized the pony and became uneasy. The leader nodded at his companions and the three accompanying henchmen spread out, two behind Derpy and one behind the Dr.

“Dr. Caballeron,” stated Dr. Whooves, recognizing the Pony.

“It is good that you know who I am,” Dr. Caballeron said calmly. “It means that you also know that I do not take no for an answer.”

“Well this will have to be a first for you then, sport,” said doctor Whooves. getting up from his chair.

“Good day.”

Dr. Caballeron gave a nod and the Henchmen behind Dr. Whooves who then put a hoof on Dr. Whooves shoulder threateningly.

Dr Whooves grabbed the hoof and spun his body so as to pin the hoof of the henchman behind his back.

“Stop!” shouted Dr. Caballeron angrily.

Dr Whooves froze, he could see that the other Henchman had grabbed Derpy’s arms and were holding her up.

“Doc!” exclaimed Derpy in concern.

“We also know that you can fight,” said Dr. Caballeron confidently, sitting back down.

“How kind of you to bring along a liability that we can make use of as leverage señor,” Dr. Caballeron continued in an arrogant tone, indicating towards the grey filly.

Derpy looked shocked for a moment. She had not felt like a liability in months and being called this once again struck a raw nerve.

Her eyes focused and shrank down to two intense golden points in anger.

The henchman opposite her, next to Dr. Whooves, looked shocked at the sudden change in expression on the pony that he assumed was nothing more than a goofball.

Derpy nodded at doctor Whooves. His expression turned from concern to shrewd calculation. The two Henchmen holding Derpy looked down at the Pegasus, wondering what had caused the sudden change in their comrades’ expression.

Derpy suddenly flapped her powerful wings, pulling both of her assailants up before flapping again to push herself backwards. The two-henchman holding her twisted violently and lost their grip as Derpy slid to a halt and immediately went into the offensive with another flap of her wings, careening into one of her former captors.

Dr. Whooves immediately began to fight the other Henchman as Dr. Caballeron quickly got up to assist fighting against Dr. Whooves.

Chairs were thrown, Henchman were launched onto tables and against the wall. Derpy was thrown out of one window before rolling and then immediately jumping up to smash back in through another window to region the fight. Using her wings skillfully to avoid powerful hits from the experienced Stallions, Derpy’s wild but skilled blows quickly had two of the henchmen stunned. Dr. Whooves, meanwhile, had dispatched the henchman he was facing with a skillful block and counter blow and then blocked another good attack from Dr. Caballeron.

“Enough!” shouted Derpy as she careened towards Dr. Caballeron, stopping just short with a powerful flap of her wings that sent the unshaven pony flying back into another table.

Looking a bit worse for wear Dr. Whooves gathered up the crystals off of the floor and grabbed the pouch of gold.

Derpy was standing over the dazed Dr. Caballeron with her wings out threateningly. She also looked quite roughed up, but otherwise ok.

Dr. Whooves walked over to Dr. Caballeron. The unshaven ruffian had regained his composure by shaking his head back and forth but remained otherwise where he was on the floor, grimacing up at the two.

“Your gold,” said Dr. Whooves, throwing down the gold pouch at the feet of Dr. Caballeron. “Though you may want to give the innkeeper some for the mess you made.”

Looking past Derpy, Dr. Caballeron could see the very large barman standing there with an angry expression on his face.

Dr. Caballeron gulped noticeably.

Dr. Whooves walked out of the saloon without another word.

Derpy lowered her wings, her eyes returned to normal and immediately started to drift. The grey filly gave Dr. Caballeron a goofy smile before snapping back into her focused scary state.

“I am ‘no!’ liability,” she said pointedly, immediately reverting to her normal happy face before trotting out of the door after the brown stallion.

Doctor Whooves put the crystal pouch into his travel bag and smiled as Derpy joined him by his side on the dusty street.

“I feel sorry for anyone who underestimates you Ms. Hooves,” he said kindly, giving her a hug.

“Thanks Doc,” she replied, returning the hug. “All thanks to you.”

“Oh, great Alicorn no,” he said. “It is you that has made all of this possible, thanks to your hard work.”

Derpy blushed.

“I think I owe you a dinner for what you did today,” he said, the two starting to trot back to the train station.

“Not to mention all of the assistance you have given me in the lab.”

Derpy smiled, happy with herself. She seemed to contemplate something for a moment as they trotted down the dusty street. Suddenly, a rare shrewd expression crossed her face as she narrowed her eyes and smiled slyly towards the Dr.

“I will take you up on that offer doc,” Derpy said with confidence. “This weekend at my home.”

Dr. Whooves looked confused.

“But… wait, I’m confused. I was going to invite you to...” he started.

“You offered me a dinner with you, and I accept your offer,” Derpy interrupted. “And I get to choose were. So yeah, it will be at my home.”

“Are you sure?” asked Dr. Whooves.

Derpy tilted her head slightly and grinned, her sly expression making the Dr. ever so uneasy. He was unused to such an expression from her.

“You continue to amaze me Derpy,” he said eventually, dismissing his concern.

“Good,” the grey filly said to herself, looking a bit smug.

Quickly distracted by his own train of thought again, the Dr. started to talk about the planned inventions for the crystal as the two trotted together back to the train station.