• Published 29th Aug 2012
  • 2,046 Views, 16 Comments

Captain of the Royal guards - LunarLover



The story of how a colt became a stallion

  • ...
4
 16
 2,046

That one special mare

The streets of Canterlot was in a bustle of activity. Many recruits had finally gotten ranks and were being shipped to different parts of Equestria to further enable peace throughout the land. The only Train station in Canterlot was filled to the brim with crying mothers and sisters whilst hardened soldiers packed into tight carriages and got ready to go.

"Remember to bring your toothbrush."

"Yes mom."

"And to call every night."

"Yes mom."

"And if you are scared remember the song I sang to you."

"Geez mom the last time you sang that song was at least five years ago." Shining Armour shuffled his feet awkwardly as his mother fussily dug through his bag.

Mrs Sparkle wiped the tears from her eyes and locked her son into an embrace. "I'm sorry Twilight couldn't be here."

Twilight Sparkle had unfortunately been called away to study in another country for a short time in order to expand her magic capabilities as Princess Celestia's Protégé.

"Come on mom we promised no tears."

Mrs Sparkle wiped the leaking fountain of tears as she hugged him one more time before passing him along to his father.

"Now listen son, its a crazy world out there and you could meet some crazy ponies." He cleared his throat. "And these crazy ponies may make you wish that you could never leave." His eyes had started to go red. "Promise me boy that you will never forget home. Understand?"

Shining smiled and saluted. "Aye sir."

Finishing one last embrace he turned back to the train. his luggage had been wrestled from his mother and into the storage carriages and he was ready for his next post. Slowly walking towards the door he turned around one last time to wave goodbye to his par-

"Oof"

As usual he was unable to sense the flying ball of pink Alicorn flying at him as fast as a dragon after gold.


"Hello Cadence." He rubbed his head and tried to focus his eyes. " Emotional to see me off?"

His teasing stopped instantaneously when he saw the flowing fountain of tears rolling down her cheek.

"Wh...Why do y...you have to go?" She stuttered in between sobs. Immediately Shining felt his heart drop into an eternal abyss. What excitement he had for the trip dissipated the moment he saw that pink face look up at him like a homeless puppy.

"Uhh...Ehm...Well..." All the many months of training for war did not prepare him for a diplomatic conquest, especially an adolescent pretty sobbing Alicorn which was unfortunately bringing the crowd.

"Come here." He huddled her off into a corner where nopony would eavesdrop. Cadence let out a few more tears before burying her head in his chest. "Why do you always have to go." She mumbled to the ground. She let his soft warm chest sooth her mind as she simply leaned against him.

Shining Armour could no longer see a princess but a friend in need of comfort. "Listen Cadence." He raised her chin. "We all gotta leave sometime right?" He waited for her to start crying but she simply listened.

"I promise to write letters always."

"Always?"

"Yes."

"Everyday?"

"As many as I can."

"And we will meet again right?"

"Yes most probably."

"Most probably?"

Oh damn Shining felt the grave he dug for himself get deeper as Cadence's eyes started to swell up with tears.

"Uhh...I mean we will. In like five years."

"Five years!"

Bugger

"I mean soon."

"How soon."

"Promise me you won't get hurt."

"I will try to stay alive."

"Stay alive! Where are you going? I thought it was just a patrol mission. You could die?"

Oh Celestia help me

"Well...Uhh...Erm..." He was saved fortunately from another fountain of tears when a deep voice rang from the shadows.

"Typical Shining. Once more your peasant words and boorish attitude have upset yet another lady." From the shadows a golden maned stallion flicked his mane to the side and stepped out instinctively avoiding small puddles.

Now I have to pick between an annoying snob or a sobbing Alicorn...Can my day get any worse.

Shining decided now would be the perfect time to change the subject. " So Blueblood"

"Prince Blueblood."

"So Blueblood." The young prince let out a huff of annoyance. "What is it."

"You here to see me off? How kind to think one such as yourself would have the guts to walk twenty metres without servants to help you."

"Please don't be ridiculous, I had a carriage but had to leave the servants behind due to all these disgusting soldiers filling up the foyer. And I am here to see Cadence off not you."

A furrowed brow appeared on Shining Armour's forehead. "She is leaving? "

He turned to her. "Is this true?"

She nodded silently mumbling something incoherent due to her face still being in his chest.

"B...But where to?"

"She is going to countries overseas to learn more about the royal history of course." Blueblood interjected. "Such an honor. I wish there was a ti..."

Blueblood started drifting off as Shining pulled Cadence to her feet. "Now Cadence I know its going to be tough being alone with no one wh-"

He stopped mid-speech realizing the new hole he was digging. "But I promise that we will meet again ok?" He gave her the biggest hug he could.

"Alright." She brightened up immediately like a balloon and turned to Blueblood.

"Blueblood thanks for seeing me off." She gave him a hug that disrupted his never ending speech of prestige in which he replied with a mixture of shock and happiness. "Yes dear now please get moving. We wouldn't want to be late now would we?"

Shining Armour huffed and got to his feet as Bluebloos quickly dashed back to the safety of his carriage. Staying this long outside was as long as it was gonna get.

"Alright then...I guess this is it." Shining looked one more time at Cadence, Although she was smiling it was easy to see that underneath she was going to cry.

He raised his hoof. "Goodbye hug?"

As she went towards him for it his brain did something that he would make him kick himself as well as hug himself. Because as she leaned in he dodged her arm and well kissed her. What felt like seconds before became a semi-awkward/ loving scene which lasted hours. Shining pulled away quickly walking off as confidently as he could in an attempt to hide his blunder. Well he thought he was walking, from Cadence's point of view it was a lopsided drunken cat with too much cider the night before.

She giggled. Shining tried to go on back to the train only to feel something jerk him around. Cadence smiled. "Round two."

This time she kissed him. Much less sloppy but still the same blow. At that point the young stallion could not take anymore and simply blacked out.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Hey now...Hello?" Shining awoke to a cute round face with two overly sized eyes peering down on him. Cadence shook him awake and got him to sit up. "How long was I out?"

Cadence let out a giggle. "About two minutes." They sat there awkwardly for a few seconds before Shining piped up. "Ah well I gotta go. Bye." He scratched his head sheepishly and started to get up.

"Yea me too...Bye." She got up and headed the other way.

"Hey shiny."

He turned around. The wind was blowing his mane over dramatically and his heart felt like it had burst through his chest. "The great knight vanquished with a kiss huh." He groaned and shook his head.

"A sloppy one at that." Cadence called after him as he slowly stalked off.

"I hope you improve."

That single line caused his heart to stop moving and butterflies to burst out of his stomach. "We...well...I...I-" He turned around only to find Cadence gone. "Ah well."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The train churned and chugged across many acres of land as a young stallion sat by its window watching the world go by and dreaming about the one special mare that would later be his bride.








Isn't it amazing how the person you are going to marry is right now in this world. They may be closer than you think.