• Published 3rd Aug 2020
  • 290 Views, 1 Comments

Unless it Rains - melonmystery



On the longest day, on the thousandth year of Nightmare Moon's banishment the stars aid in her escape and the bearer of the Element of Laughter is nowhere to be found.

  • ...
 1
 290

The Return of Nightmare Moon

Fifteen years later...

"Oh no... Nightmare Moon!" Twilight Sparkle cried.

"Oh, my beloved subjects. It's been so long since I've seen your precious little sun-loving faces." Nightmare Moon spoke in a mighty voice.

Rainbow dash lunged forward, her eyes twitching and body shaking from either anger or fear.
"What did you do with our princess you bat looking freak!?"

Applejack grabbed her tail and held her back before she angered the dangerous being any more, the evil alicorn grinned.

"Why, don't you know who I am? Who I used to be!?" She shrieked with maniacal laughter.

"I do know, you're Nightmare Moon and we are not going to let you get away with this!" Shouted Twilight, the ponies around her gasped and she took a step back realising that she had just challenged one of the most powerful mares in all of Equestria.

The dark mare merely chuckled.

"Remember this day, little ponies, for it was your last. From this moment forth, the night will last forever!"

With that she vanished from the high balcony leaving behind a midnight glow that dispersed in the air.


The sound of hooves hitting soft ground could be heard as four ponies galloped through the forest desperately trying to outrun the terrors in the trees, their rainbow haired friend had dashed to the skies and was watching over them from above, terrified by the horrors below though she would not admit it.
She waited for the others at the clearing next to a large ravine, eyes squinting as she tried to focus them in the dark.

"GET IT AWAY FROM ME!" A Shrill cry came from within the trees.

Rainbow Dash jumped five feet into the air, spooked by a certain unicorn's sound of distress, an unamused look on her face as she realised it was just Rarity.

Wait.

They were in a dangerous forest and somepony was screaming, even if it was just Rarity she should probably go check and see if the others are alright.
She began to run full speed ahead into the forest until-

THUMP

A quartet of ouches could be heard as Rainbow Dash lay on the floor, her eyes swirling in her head from the impact.

"Oh my goodness, Rainbow! Are you okay?" A soft voice rang out clearly anxious.

She looked up and saw a blur of yellow and pink, and a whole spectrum of colours behind that, slowly Fluttershy's face came into focus.

"It's no big deal" Groaned Rainbow dash as she got to her hooves.

"Uh, so how in tarnation are we gonna get across that ravine?" Applejack remarked.

"We've got wings don't we? Well, me and Flutters have wings. I'll just fly across and tie the other end of the bridge."

"Good idea, Rainbow" Twilight commented.

She took off in a blur trying her best to see through the thick fog, once she got to the other end she began to tie the rope.

"Rainbow..." An ethereal voice called out.

She dropped the rope and turned around so fast she could've broken her neck right there.

"Wh-Who's there?" She faltered.

"Rainbow..." It happened again.

"Show yourself!" Rainbow challenged.

"We've eagerly been awaiting the arrival of the greatest flyer in all of Equestria." It spoke

"When I'm through with you I swear I'm gonna- Wait what?" She squeaked.

"Oh Rainbow, we've been waiting for you." It continued as three pegasi came into view clad in uniform that was the same colour as the dark sky.

"Heh, you wouldn't mind telling the Wonderbolts that would you I mean I've bee-"

"NO! You must join us Rainbow Dash. The Shadowbolts, the greatest aerial team in all of the Everfree, soon Equestria. All we need is a leader, the most magnificent-" The strange pony smirked.

"Yep." Rainbow butted in immediately, soaking up the sudden praise.

"Swiftest-"

"Yes" Rainbow crowed.

"Bravest flyer in all the land." The Shadowbolt complimented.

"It's all true!" Rainbow gushed, her head held high.

"We need you." The pony whispered almost seductively.

"Sign me up! Just let me tie this bridge real quick and we'll have a deal." Rainbow began and started trotting over to the bridge.

"No! It's them or us." They spat.

Further away four ponies looked on in horror.

"Wait, Rainbow Dash, dont listen to them!" Twilight shouted.

"So, what's it gonna be?" They prompted.

"You... Thank you! For the offer, I mean, but I'm gonna have to say no." Rainbow finished bluntly.

The cyan pegasus leapt to the end of the bridge, her wings spread with pride and a confident look about her.

"See, I'd never leave my friends hangin'." She announced.


They tiptoed into the ruined castle, trying their best to not make a noise as they looked around in search of the Elements of Harmony.
Twilight scanned the room until her eyes fell upon a statue.

The Elements!

She walked over to them at a brisk pace, the others following.

"Whoa." Twilight breathed, taking in the majestic sight before her.

"Come on now Twilight, isn't this what you've been waiting for?" Applejack pressed.

"We've found them, Careful, Careful!" She repeated at seeing Rarity get a tiny bit too close.

"Um, I think there's one missing.." Fluttershy uttered.

"Twilight darling I thought you said there were six elements, not five." Rarity spoke over her.
Fluttershy sighed, disappointed.

"The book said that when the five are present, a spark will cause the sixth element to be revealed." Twilight recited proudly.

"What in the hay does that mean!?" Demanded Applejack.

"I'm not exactly sure but I think I have an idea, stand back everypony!" Twilight warned, the beginning of a spark escaping from her horn.

Twilight grunted, working up a sweat as sparks began to fly to and fro.
Her horn felt hotter than Celestia's sun, it burned, why did it hurt so much?

"Aagh!" She screamed.

"Twilight!" The others shouted in unison as Twilight vanished right in front of their eyes.

"Where did she go!?" Exclaimed Rainbow.

"Ah don't know but we have to go find her!" Coached Applejack.


Twilight gasped, where was she?
As she stood up a villainous laugh echoed throughout the room.

Oh no.

She looked up to see none other than Nightmare Moon a few yards away, Twilight charged.

"Hmmph!"

She staggered trying to find her footing after tumbling on the ground.
Nightmare moon looked on with a look of sincere disappointment on her face.

"You're kidding right?" She said in a grim tone.

The others arrived, watching in terror.

"Come on, just one spark!" Twilight prayed, her horn beginning to glow again. "Come on, Come on. AAAGH!"

"No!" Nightmare Moon shrieked.

"Where's the Sixth Element!?" Twilight fretted.

"Haha, ha, hahaha! You foolish little thing, thinking you can defeat me? Now you will never see your princess, or your sun. The night will be eternal!" She cackled.

"We're here for you Twilight!" Fluttershy stood up, the others gazed at her and she nodded.

"You can do it!" Rainbow urged, a fiery look in her eyes.

They all joined in.

Twilight looked back at Nightmare Moon, her face decorated with a fierce gaze and a realisation.

"You think you can destroy the Elements of Harmony just like that? Well you're wrong. The Spirits of Harmony are right here!" She proclaimed.

"What?" Nightmare moon looked at her in disbelief.

"Applejack, who reassured me when I was in doubt represents the spirit of-" Ribbons of magic began to wrap around Applejack "Honesty!"
The magic began to twist and take the shape of a golden necklace, an orange, apple shaped gem encrusted in the middle.

"Fluttershy, the pony who tamed the manticore with her compassion represents kindness!" The magic began to snake its way around the others, embracing them.

"Rarity, who calmed a sorrowful serpent with a meaningful gift represents the element of generosity!" Twilight continued.

"And Rainbow Dash, who could not abandon her friends even for her heart's desire represents the element of loyalty!" Twilight finished.

"You see Nightmare Moon, when those Elements are ignited by the spark, that resides in the heart of us all, it creates the sixth element: the element of.. Magic!" She said confidently.

Nothing happened.

Nightmare Moon howled in amusement.

"You do realise that you only have five elements?" She remarked snidely

"What, no.. That can't be right!" Twilight panicked as she looked over her friends; one, two, three, four.

"Then who-" A bright flash filled the room blasting the ponies and knocking over a stone sphere from the statue that rolled over to the confused ponies.

When Twilight opened her eyes again Nightmare moon was flying above them.

"Pathetic little creatures, I'm wouldn't even dream of killing you. After all your power is useless without the Element of Laughter!" and with that she took off to the skies.

Something nudged Twilight's hoof, she looked down and saw the sphere that supposedly contained the Element of Laughter and tried to pick it up with her magic.

It rolled towards the entrance of the castle, the others watching in amazement.
"That's it." Twilight gasped.

"Huh?" Rainbow sputtered in confusion.

"If the Element of Magic can be revealed through a spark of magic, then we can use a spark to locate the Element of Laughter." Twilight explained.

"That explains why the sphere moved on it's own when Twilight tried to use her magic on it." Fluttershy chimed in.

"Then what are we waiting for? Let's go!" Rainbow whooped, sprinting out of the castle.