• Published 3rd Aug 2020
  • 290 Views, 1 Comments

Unless it Rains - melonmystery



On the longest day, on the thousandth year of Nightmare Moon's banishment the stars aid in her escape and the bearer of the Element of Laughter is nowhere to be found.

  • ...
 1
 290

Just Another Day

Fifteen years ago the most mystical event to ever happen occurred, a feat that most thought was simply impossible..

The Sonic Rainboom.

It was so fantastically colourful, a spectacle for all to see that renewed hope and determination in all mythical creatures and sentient equines alike.

All except one, her name was Pinkamena Diane Pie. A rather unfortunate fate; but then again it wasn't the first fun thing she had missed out on.

She never went to public school, made friends or had any kind of dream outside of the vast wide open space of the rock quarry littered with dull, boring rocks with no urban landmarks in sight.

Who's to say it will stay like that forever?
You never know, it might all change one day.

After all you can't have a rainbow without rain.


Out on the desolate field was a small filly, a light pink coat with a darker pink mane to compliment it, she slowly moved pebbles along with her nose in an attempt to help out her overburdened family. Curiously, she looked over her shoulder at her mother and father, who were taking on their own, much larger workload.

They were strong, sturdy and continued to push on despite how Cloudy's muscles began to shake or how Igneous was heaving in protest. The pink filly then looked up at the sky, wondering if there really was a better life out there.

Turns out there were also dark clouds heading their way, a storm was coming.

Worriedly she began to shout "Ma, Pa! It's about to rain."

Quickly the others began to run to the Victorian style farm building, the thatched roof not looking like it would offer much protection."Pinkamena Diane Pie, get in here!" A strong voice bellowed as she realised that she was stood wonder-struck by the array of grey clouds. She trailed behind them as they got to safety, the heavy wooden door closing behind them.

Meanwhile in Cloudsdale.


"I'm not about to let these weirdo losers beat me, not after they made fun of Fluttershy!" Rainbow Dash thought to herself as she recovered from her run in with a strangely solid cloud ring. Without any warning she began to speed up, the spirit of competition raging within her as she started to catch up to the two cocky colts almost barrelling into them.

whoosh

Rainbow flew erratically, her newfound speed feeling foreign to her. A distance away her opponent's looked on bewildered and she took on a smug grin and looked back, an intense heat gathering at her hooves, her wings felt as if they were on fire.
That didn't really matter, she was winning and she loved it.

The city of Cloudsdale began to fade out of view and the only thing in her sight was the pastel blue sky, her wings beating faster and faster until...

BANG!

An explosion of clouds and rainbows crawled outwards across the sky, creeping like moss on a stone wall.
The rainbow haired filly looked down on her hometown triumphantly and performed a victory loop-de-loop.

"Man, I'm so awesome!"


BANG!

"What was that!?" Limestone yelped, her youngest sister Marble leaping into the air out of fright like a hot popcorn kernel.

"It's them unicorns again I bet ya, with their freaky magic." Igneous grumbled, clearly not happy about the noise. Pinkamena looked over at the closed curtains, perplexed at what could possibly have caused such a frightening sound, as far as she was concerned they didn't live near any volcanoes or magic schools.

The sound of rain suddenly stopped but the Pie family were far too spooked by the blast to step out of the house.
They settled on taking the day off and began to occupy the chipped wooden table while Cloudy Quartz got to making their favourite and only meal, Rock Soup.
Pinkamena sighed sadly, her eyes occasionally darting towards the window. Her siblings seemed to notice this and Marble gave her a concerned look.
"I'm fine Marble it's just-"

"No speaking at the table, unless it's to say your prayers." Their mother interrupted, shooting a glare at her.

Her ears flattened, her face flushing from embarrassment that she had forgotten about the family rules that were quite literally, set in stone, as the jagged piece of slate on the wall would tell you. She remained quiet, the only sound in the room being the sound of cutlery moving around and the occasional cough from her father or nervous humming from Marble.

Later that night...

the Pie sisters were in their room getting ready to sleep. Limestone tiring herself out with her nightly ritual of beating the living heck out of her pillow, Marble trying to find the comfiest spot on the rock hard mattress and Pinkamena decided she would take a look outside of the window, she stared at the foggy sky that continued for miles without any real destination.

"Hey, what are you looking at?" Limestone called out, confused but also worried about her sister.

Pinkamena turned around with a solemn look on her face "It's just... I feel like I missed something really important but I have no idea what it is." she replied.

"Well, whatever it is you shouldn't be too worried about it" Limestone said stretching her legs, turning over and pulling a blanket over herself.

Marble had finally located the perfect spot on her mattress and left a small pebble in place, she walked over to her pink sister and gave her a small hug.

"Thanks Marble." Pinkamena told her in a softer tone.

"You know Limestone, I think you're right, after all I've got you guys and I know we're gonna stay together forever" she continued "Pinkie Promise?"

She got an affirmative hum from Marble.

"Yeah, Pinkie Promise" Limestone assured. "But I swear to Celestia, if you ever say something that mushy again I will pummel you."

Everyone giggled.

A chorus of good nights could be heard and the last candle had been blown out and the little ponies drifted into sleep.

Author's Note:

This is my first ever time writing anything like this,
please let me know if there are any mistakes I didn't catch or if there is anything I could improve.