• Published 2nd Jul 2020
  • 789 Views, 39 Comments

Red Strings, White Chains - Undome Tinwe



Rarity and Celestia are getting married, and the whole world is watching.

  • ...
7
 39
 789

Another Day In The War Room

"Sergeant Lance, report!"

The armoured pony snapped off a salute. "Princess Twilight, the cave network within the Canterhorn has been completely warded according to the specifications given here." He floated over a scroll, which Twilight scanned to ensure it was her original copy without any alterations. "If anycreature tries to use them to stage an invasion, we should be alerted this time."

Twilight gave an approving nod. "Good." She picked up her quill and began penning another set of orders. "Make sure a patrol is set up to ensure that each of them is checked on average once every three days. Ideally, we would increase the frequency of inspection as the wedding date gets closer, but I understand that we'll be stretched thin as it is. Tell Captain Bulwark that I want to schedule a meeting with him tomorrow at three in the afternoon to discuss guard allocations. Dismissed."

Sergeant Lance nodded, taking the scroll and galloping off out the large double doors at the opposite end of the room.

Magic picked up the mug of coffee that was Twilight's constant companion, and she downed another gulp of the life-giving liquid before turning towards one of the clerical staff in the room who was monitoring their inbox. "Quill, any updates about the interior decoration? We were supposed to have a preliminary list of required materials by now."

Quill scanned through his list of papers. "It looks like Lady Rarity wanted to make some alterations to the theme, and negotiations between her and the Chief Interior Decorator have reached an impasse."

Twilight's hoof rubbed against her temple. "We need that list to finalize the budget." She turned her attention to her Number One Assistant, who was furiously taking notes and trying to keep a record of everything that was happening. "Spike, add a new item to the list. We need to get someone from the diplomatic services to act as mediator and settle this dispute as fast as possible." She'd do it herself, but she was busy enough already and it was easier to leave things to the professionals sometimes.

Before she could move on to the next item, there was a knock at the door. "Come in!" Twilight shouted, and a moment later, a pegasus wearing the uniform of the Canterlot Weather Department flew in.

"Your Majesty," she said, taking a bow. "I've got a message from the Weather Council. The schedule you've proposed has been approved and will be distributed in the coming days."

"Thank you," Twilight replied. "Please convey my gratitude to the Council." The pegasus nodded before flying off again, and she muttered to herself. "Finally." It had taken weeks of back-and-forth for them to agree, but at least it was done now.

With that interruption complete, Twilight allowed her attention to drift back to the multitude of papers before her. She'd commandeered the main table of the War Room as her own personal desk, and was making good use of all the space that would normally be given to fifty different ponies.

Various other staff were also busy adding or removing papers from it and bringing their own from their own desks, in a well-oiled machine that Twilight thought of with pride as her own baby. She knew every connection, every job assigned to those under her command, and made sure that they all operated at maximum efficiency, despite the numerous setbacks and politicking that was happening around their planning.

A few minutes of signing forms and drafting letters later, the door opened again to reveal a light gray unicorn with a clipboard. Twilight smiled at her. "Raven!" she called out, waving. "It's good to see you!"

The normally-consummate professional smiled back. "It's great to see you too, Princess Twilight." She gave a perfunctory bow before making her way around the giant table, past the clerical staff rushing about like ants in perfect, frenzied harmony. "I have today's précis ready for you."

She grabbed one of the papers from her clipboard and floated it over to Twilight. Twilight grabbed it and, as she skimmed, asked, "Anything in particular I need to watch out for?"

"Celestia's in one of her moods again." They both grimaced at that. "She's requested that Rose Petal and Amber Gleam work together to design the flower arrangements for the wedding, despite the fact that everypony in the city knows that they haven't been on speaking terms in years."

Twilight sighed. "I'm sure she knows what she's doing and that the two of them will eventually work out their differences, but for now, I'll just edit the schedule to include a predicted delay of a week, and work out a contingency plan in case they don't pull through."

Raven nodded. "I've included a list of alternative florists who should be able to work on short notice in the weekly report. In addition, there will also be an updated seating chart since the Duchess of Trottingham just personally informed Princess Celestia that she will be able to attend the wedding, despite her earlier statements to the contrary."

"I'll review it, but I'm sure it'll be fine." After all, if there was anyone Twilight trusted when it came to matters of planning, it was Celestia's personal assistant. "Anything else?"

"Nothing of particular note," Raven replied. "If that is all, I'll leave you to your work."

"I don't suppose I can convince you to appoint a temporary replacement and help me out here, huh?" Twilight asked wryly, not for the first time since this madness had started.

Raven snorted. "Princess, I think I'd rather take over your world-saving duties instead. At least my death would be quick, and likely less painful."

"Fair enough. Have fun with Celestia." Twilight watched her leave the war room just as an Earth Pony burst in, wide-eyed.

"Your majesty!" he declared, panting. "Terrible news! Confetti Spray just pulled out from planning the celebratory party for the fillies and colts!"

Panic swelled in Twilight's heart for a moment before she forced herself to push it down. "Thank you for bringing me this information," she said, putting on her Calm Princess Facade. "I'll make sure everything is sorted out."

Sensing the dismissal in her tone, he quickly galloped out, and as soon as the doors closed, Twilight cleared her throat and called out, "Pinkie Pie! I need you!"

One of these days, Twilight was going to figure out which holes in the castle security Pinkie was exploiting in order to be able to pop her head out of the closet on Twilight's left without alerting any of the guards. For now, though, she was going to take full advantage of her friend's easy accessibility.

"What's up, Twilight?" The pink party pony said as she pronked over towards her.

"Confetti Spray just pulled out from the wedding," Twilight explained.

Pinkie gasped. "But what about the party for all the fillies and colts? They're not going to wanna attend the stuffy ceremonies and receptions!"

"They're also too unpredictable," Twilight said. "We need to minimize the risk they pose by keeping them entertained. I know you're busy with all your other duties, but do you think Cheese Sandwich might have some time to take over?"

"Oh, he left yesterday," Pinkie replied.

Twilight's head tilted in confusion. "He what? Wasn't he helping you with the party planning?"

Pinkie shrugged. "His Cheesy sense was tingling and he had to go where The Party needed him. Don't worry, he'll be back for the wedding." She reached into her mane and pulled out what looked like a birthday card, handing it over to Twilight. "Here's the note he left behind. You should probably read it."

"'Look to my coming at first light on the fifth day. At dawn, look to the East.'" Twilight frowned. "What does that even mean?"

"All will be revealed in good time," Pinkie said with her Mysterious Fortune Teller voice, waving her forelegs in the air. "Right now, though, we've got a party to plan!"

"Right, yes." Twilight shook her head, focusing her attention back to the problem at hand. "If Cheese isn't available, we'll need to figure out a possible list of candidates and how to evaluate them. Do you have, like, some kind of Party Planner Association that you could contact?"

"We don't convene the Ministers of Fun for something small like this," Pinkie said gravely, with such seriousness that Twilight felt her own heart skip a beat. Then, she smiled, and everything was sunshine and rainbows again. "But we don't need it! Because I have a list of every party planner in Equestria, their availabilities, and the kinds of parties they specialize in!"

"I see." Best not question it, for everypony's sake. "Well, I'll trust you to recommend someone to me, if you don't mind." Normally she'd demand a thorough argument back with evidence and references, but this was Pinkie Pie. Her word was all the evidence Twilight needed.

"Okie dokie lokie!" Pinkie Pie snapped off a crisp salute, before pulling out a cupcake and giving it Twilight. "I gotta go check on the cakes in the oven, but here. You need to remember to eat more."

"Thanks, Pinkie." With that, Pinkie returned to the closet, which Twilight knew for a fact didn't lead anywhere, but she didn't see her again, so Twilight also didn't question that.

With that diversion dealt with, Twilight picked up the nearest stack of papers and began reviewing and signing the forms she needed, as well as making notes of which ones needed alterations. She managed to get several uninterrupted minutes of blessed productivity before someone else knocked on the door.

"Come in," Twilight called out, hoping that this next complication could be handled quickly.

"Hello, Twilight, I see you're busy as always," a kind, gentle voice said as the door opened to reveal the reason why the entire war room had to have been commandeered.

"Celestia." Twilight put down her quill. "Have you looked over the treaty amendments I proposed to send to the Minotaurs?"

The High Princess nodded. "The provisions will allow their delegates to attend the wedding, while also opening up further talks that may be fruitful in the future, without either side really having to give up anything of worth. A masterful work of statecraft, Twilight, and I'm sure the Minotaurs will accept."

Even after all these years, Twilight couldn't help but blush at the praise. "Thanks. I still need you to sign off on it though, since I don't have the authority to engage in that level of diplomatic alteration."

"I'll be sure to do so as soon as possible," Celestia replied. "Though, that does relate to the purpose of my visit."

"Oh?" Twilight's head tilted in curiosity. "Did another one of the foreign invitees RSVP?"

"None that I know of." The serene smile faded away as Celestia's expression grew serious. "I am here to both thank you and to ask you to indulge an old mare's selfishness."

Twilight gasped. "Celestia! You are the least selfish pony I've ever met." Her indignation was only tempered by the fact that the pony maligning Celestia was in fact the princess herself. "You've given everything for Equestria, and we're happy to make your special day with Rarity as perfect as we possibly can."

"And you've done a marvellous job." A flash of magic sizzled through the air as Celestia summoned up a folder and placed it down in front of Twilight. "Since your coronation, you have worked diligently to ensure that Rarity and my special day does not come at the cost of the ponies of Equestria, and in doing so, have demonstrated extraordinary legal, administrative, and leadership skills."

"I... I'm touched," Twilight said eventually. The floor of complements had set her off-kilter, and it took her a moment to compose herself again and calm her racing heart. "I've been studying hard to learn all the skills I need to keep things running smoothly."

"Those are the same skills required of a princess," Celestia replied. "You've proven yourself more than capable of ruling, time and time again, and so I'm going to ask you for one more request: to take on the position of High Princess so that Rarity and I can have more time to spend with one another."

The entire room fell silent as Twilight stared wide-eyed at one of the two High Princesses of Equestria. Celestia and Luna were the diarchs of Equestria, outranking everyone else in the kingdom except each other. That had been why Twilight still needed one of them to sign off on certain edicts, for she had not yet earned that title.

Until now.

"I'm not—" Of course, Twilight's first reaction was to reject the promotion, to claim that she wasn't worthy of being an equal to her former mentor. How could she ever stand as tall as the Sun itself, shine as bright as the brightest star? No one who wasn't impossibly old and wise was capable of it.

Except, that wasn't quite true, was it?

Another had also been elevated far above what any mortal could dream of. And if Rarity could claim the heart of the solar princess for herself, to believe herself worthy of that which was reserved for the Ancients, then what was holding Twilight back but her own doubts?

She looked about the room, seeing the tired smiles of those who had served Equestria dutifully. The confidence in her that their gazes conveyed was staggering, and it was clear that they believed in her. And, in the end, Twilight believed in herself as well, or else she would never have been able to run as tight a ship as she had.

"I would be honoured." Twilight gave Celestia a very formal bow. "Thank you for believing in me."

Celestia mirrored the gesture. "Thank you for being worthy of that belief." She flipped open the folder to reveal a small stack of documents. "Raven has already prepared the forms and edicts we will need to make the title official, and Luna has also given her approval. You simply need to review them and sign. We can discuss the coronation after the wedding."

Twilight nodded, picking up the quill as she scanned the papers. "This looks all in order." Before she could second-guess herself, she signed her name, a great weight settling into her heart as she watched the ink dry. The weight of the responsibility of an entire nation.

"Congratulations, High Princess Twilight Sparkle." The words felt so odd coming from Celestia. "You now have all of my authority, which should make the logistics of the wedding preparations much easier."

Twilight nodded. "There may be some complications from my ascension that we haven't foreseen, but I'm sure I can solve them."

"Of that, I have no doubts." Celestia's smile returned, as radiant as always. "I have lived through so many centuries, seen civilizations rise and fall, and yet, I have ever experienced an age of Change quite like this one. I'm enjoying it very much."

Twilight smiled back and nodded. She was exhausted, and beyond stressed about the million things that could go wrong with the wedding, but she has also never felt so fulfilled, as she worked to spread the magic of Harmony across the world while planning the greatest tribute to love in all of history. "I can't wait to see what we all can do in the future."

Celestia opened her mouth to respond, but before she could speak, the door slammed open again, revealing a wide-eyed maid. "A swarm of parasprites got into the pantry! Help, please!"

Twilight charged up a teleportation spell on her horn. "Which pantry?"

"T-Third floor, second from the back," the maid replied, still panicked.

Twilight nodded and turned to Celestia. "Should I—?" She stopped herself in the middle of the question. She was a High Princess now. "I'm going to hold off the swarm for as long as I can. Quiver, send the alert to the POLKA Team."

"I shall prepare evacuation protocols from here," Celestia said. "Good luck, High Princess."

Twilight met Celestia's warm gaze unflinchingly. "Thank you, High Princess." And with that, she vanished, ready to take on yet another crisis. There was no time to bask or worry about her new status; this was just another day in Canterlot, and there was always work to do.