• Published 7th Jun 2020
  • 210 Views, 2 Comments

From Rookie to Adventurer - Don the Bassman



This is Shadow Star's history, from her time as a rookie police officer in Vanhoover, to a Royal Guard in Canterlot!

  • ...
 2
 210

Rookie - Vanhoover Police Force

“STOP!! THEIF!!” The shop pony cried out as a tan earth pony ran from the front of the Hoof ‘n Save grocery store in Vanhoover. The young stallion galloped as fast as his legs could carry him, faster than the heavy red shop pony that was trying to follow.

“Okay, Nimble Comet, just a bit farther,” He whispered to himself around the jar of pear preserves in his mouth as he turned down another street. He continued running but not at the same sprint as when he ran from the store. Nimble Comet slid a bit as he turned down an alleyway, almost losing the jar. As he righted himself, something wrapped around his legs, bringing them together, and causing the tan pony to slam into the ground. “NOOO!!!” He shouted as the pear preserves flew into the air, only to be caught by a dark purple colored mare with a dark aqua blue mane wearing a Vanhoover police uniform.

“Good work, rookie,” A rotund coffee colored unicorn commented as he waddled up next to the mare. “Never thought ah using that blolee thingy.”

“It’s a bola, sir.” the mare said.

“Whateva’.”

“LET ME GO!” Shouted Nimble as he struggled against the cords of the bola wrapped around his legs.

“Nah, ya gonna come with us to tha station.” The rotund officer said, dragging the tied stallion with a bit of bluish magic from his horn.

“No!” Nimble called out as he struggled against the cords. “Don’t take me from my sister!”

“Shoulda thought about that before stealin’!”

The purple mare looked down to the end of the alleyway, “Your sister?” She asked softly as a small green maned filly with an amber coat peered around a trash bin. “Um, Officer Zeppoli, please wait a moment, sir.”

“Wha’? We got tha bad pony!” Zeppoli gave Nimble’s legs a rough yank.

“I’m not sure he is a bad guy, sir.”

Rolling his eyes, the officer turned to face the mare, “Look ‘ere, Shallow Bar –,”

“It’s Shadow Star, sir.” The mare interjected.

“That’s what I said,” Zeppoli snorted, jerking the rope around Nimble’s legs a few times causing the stallion to whimper. “And don’t interrupt ya superiors.”

Shadow looked around at all the ponies that were watching them as they stood at the opening of the alleyway.

“As I was sayin’, I know ya’ve only been on the force fer a few weeks so ya still gotta learn that ponies like dis one ‘ere,” the officer shoved Nimble towards Shadow. “are scum. So just lock ‘em up an’ throw away tha key.”

Nimble looked up at Shadow Star, fear in his eyes. “I’m sorry, I... I didn’t want to –!” His words were cut off as he was shoved again towards the female officer.

“Ahh, shaddup!” shouted officer Zeppoli.

A soft voice came from the darkness of the alley. “Please don’t take my brother!”

Officer Star looked over at the little filly hiding in the shadows. “What’s your name?” She asked.

“Nova,” came the soft reply from the scared filly.

“Well, we are gonna take him!” Zeppoli said, “And that’s that.” He looked at Shadow, “Put ‘em in cuffs.”

“If you take him, I’ll be here all alone!” Nova cried, dashing forward out of the darkness of the alleyway to grab a hold of her brother.

Officer Zeppoli forcefully pushed the little filly away from Nimble, knocking her to the ground. “Tough break!” Nimble tried to bite Zeppoli’s leg, causing the officer to pull back. “Why you little!” The officer moved to strike the tied pony, only to find himself stopped by Shadow blocking his hoof.

“Sir, you need to calm down,” The mare calmly stated, staring straight into Officer Zeppoli’s eyes with such an intensity that it caused the rotund officer to take a step back. “You are out of line.” She gestured to Nova, “There was no need to push her and,” the mare then pointed to Nimble, “he is subdued. There is no call to abuse him.”

Officer Zeppoli looked around at all the ponies that had stopped to watch the situation that was unfolding, his brow furrowed in anger, “Look ‘ere, rookie!” He shouted. “I know what needs ta be done with low life’s like these.” Zeppoli sneered, “He’s a thief and she’s gonna grow up ta be just like ‘im!” Stepping back towards Shadow his voice raised, “I’m gonna put this in the report I give to tha captain about how you’re doin’!”

“Fine then,” responded Shadow as she checked on little Nova, “I’ll handle this if you want to go tell the captain about this incident.”

Office Zeppoli snarled, “I will! And… And…” the rotund officer stuttered, “YOU’RE filling out tha report for this!” He turned and stomped off through the crowd.

Shadow eyed the officer calmly, “Yes, Sir.” She replied, watching him storm off. She turned to Nimble and began unraveling the bola still wrapped around his legs. “Are you okay?”

“I… I think so…” Said the stallion as the officer unwrapped his legs. Once freed, Nimble slowly stood up, wincing at the scrapes on his flank and back.

“Then come with me.” Shadow turned and started walking back towards the Hoof n’ Save, while wrapping up her bola. She nodded to the gathered ponies as they moved aside.

“Nimby,” Whispered Nova as she hugged Nimble’s leg, “Are we in trouble?”

“Yeah, I am.” The tan pony sighed, “Come on, Nova.” He gently nudged the little filly towards where Office Shadow had stopped and was watching them. Nova stayed next to her brother’s legs, looking around nervously, as they joined the officer and walked back to the store that Nimble had just run from. Other ponies started following them as well.

The red shop pony was still standing outside the shop looking that direction when the trio arrived. “Hey Officer, you got the pony that…” His voice trailed off as he noticed the little filly holding onto Nimble’s leg.

“How much for the preserves?” Shadow asked, holding up the jar.

“Uh…” The shop pony paused, “6 bits.” He finally replied.

Shadow pulled the bits from a pocket on her uniform. “Here you go.” She said, handing them to the shop pony.

Nimble blinked, “What?” he stammered as the officer paid for the preserves.

“It’s obvious you were trying to get your sister something to eat.” Shadow said, opening the jar and handing it to a bewildered Nova. “You both look like you haven’t had a good meal in a long time.”

With tears in his eyes, Nimble watched his sister take a hoof full of the pear preserves and stuff it into her mouth. “No, we haven’t.” He whispered.

“And, as long as the good shop keeper here,” Shadow nodded to the red pony watching the little filly dig into the pears. “doesn’t have a problem with it, you aren’t going to jail.”

The shop keeper frowned, “Well, I DO have a problem with it!” He stormed up to a startled Nimble. “Next TIME, you ASK for help!”

“I tried asking, but no one would help…” Nimble stumbled back a little from the angry shop pony. “Said it wasn’t their problem.”

“But you didn’t ask ME!” The red pony shouted.

“PEPPER GRIND!!” A voice cut through the air and all the noise in the area seemed to cease. An old grey mare stepped out of the store, “You do NOT yell in front of this little filly!” She walked up to the red pony and not so gently pushed him out of the way. “Now little dearie, come with me, you need some fresh baked bread with those preserves,” the old mare declared, nudging Nova towards the store. She paused and looked up at Nimble, “An' you, you’re coming too!”

“Yes, ma’am!” Nimble stammered out, not quite sure what to make of this situation.

Shadow smile broadly at the grey mare, “Nanna Mint, I didn’t know this was your store!”

“It is, Sensei Star.” Nanna Mint replied with a warm smile to the officer. “An' are you able to come in for a snack?” She inquired, holding the door to the shop open for Nova and Nimble.

“I’m afraid not.” Shadow shook her head. “I have to report to the captain. My senior partner, Officer Zeppoli, will probably be complaining about me as soon as he gets back to the precinct.”

“That’s too bad,” said Mint. She looked at Pepper Grind, “This is Shadow Star, the instructor for the martial art class I take every Wednesday. Sensei Star, this is my son, Pepper Grind. An' he could use some of the lessons that your master teaches.”

“And not the lessons I teach?” Shadow asked, raising an eyebrow.

“No, you’re too nice.” The old mare said, turning and following Nova and Nimble into the store. “See you tomorrow!”

“See you tomorrow.” Shadow called back, “And take care of those two for me.”

“Of course,” Pepper Grind said, with a bit of a smile. “Mamma an' I’ll take care of them.”

“Thank you,” said the officer as she started walking the direction towards the police station. “I’ll come by in a day or so to see how they are doing.”

With a wave, Pepper called to the officer. “We’ll be here!”


The following evening, Wednesday, Shadow Star waited for Nanna Mint in the entry way to the Sapphire Mount Dojo, wearing a crimson karate uniform with a black belt tied round it.

“Good Evening, Nanna Mint.” Shadow said, bowing to the grey mare, who adjusted her white uniform tied with a white belt before bowing back. “I wanted to ask about your new friends.”

“Those poor dears. Names Nimble Comet for the older one, and Nova Starburst for the little filly,” the elder mare sighed, “Their parents were in the mine collapse a few weeks ago, and you know how that turned out.”

“By Celestia, that’s awful!” gasped Shadow. “And there wasn’t anyone to take care of them?”

Nanna shook her head, “No one wanted to take 'em in. No family to speak of and they had no money to live on. Seems like their parents were trying to get a better life. They had just come from Fillydelphia were they were just barely managing to make it. Took a chance.”

Shadow shuddered, “Oh my.”

“Well, Pepper put Nimble to work sweeping the store and helping stock. The boy wanted something to do to make up for what he did, and I think Pepper’s taken a shine to him.” Mint looked up at Shadow with a smile, “And little Nova is going to be helping me bake when she isn’t in school. And, she wants to come here with me. Couldn’t tonight though, she’s got a cold from being so hungry for so long.”

“That’s good. I’m glad you took them in.”

“Oh, honey. I’m glad you were the one to catch Nimble. I don’t want to even think about what would have happened if it was someone like that Officer Zeppelin had been the one to do it.”

“Zeppoli, actually.”

“Dirt for brains more like it!” Exclaimed the grey mare, causing Shadow to giggle. “Speaking of which, did you get in trouble for what you did?”

“Well, Officer Zeppoli was already talking to the captain, Platinum Ace, when I got there. So, I was pulled into the captain’s office with him and Zeppoli. I was asked about what happened and I explained that Nimble was just trying to get something to eat for his little sister. I told the captain about what Zeppoli did to Nimble and Nova, and let him know that accounts were squared away and that you were helping those two.” Smiling, Shadow continued. “Officer Zeppoli tried to defend what he did by saying that I was making it up and that is when another officer poked his head in and dropped off a few complaints about Zeppoli’s actions. Turns out a few of the ponies that were watching went to the precinct to file a statement about what he did. So now, I’m working with Thunder Gust and Zeppoli is directing traffic for a while.”

“Oh, good for you!!!” The mare clapped happily, “I’ve known Thunder Gust since he was a little colt. He and Pepper are good friends! So, I know you are going to have a good time working with him!”

Shadow looked up at the clock, “That’s what I hope. But it’s almost time to start class.” She bowed to Nanna Mint. “Thank you for letting me know how your new little ones are doing!”

“You’re very welcome, dear.” Mint replied, returning the bow. “Time to learn things!”

“Yes, it is.” Shadow smiled and lead the elder mare into the main part of the dojo to join the rest of the class.

Author's Note:

Funny thing, this is the first story chronologically in all the short stories that I've written so far for Shadow, but it's actually the third one.