• Published 23rd Aug 2012
  • 806 Views, 2 Comments

Immortal Madness - Kytin



The princesses were growing more insane every day. The confict was inevitable.

  • ...
 2
 806

Chapter 1

Dragon Attacks Canterlot!

The newspaper headline silently shouted its message from Twilight's kitchen table. The owner of both table and newspaper paced nearby, steadily working herself into a frenzy.

"...It could be even worse than that! What if Luna was actually killed? They might not report that right away. Or what if it got Celestia? Or both of them! What would we..."

"Sweetie, I'm sure it isn't anywhere near as bad as that." Rarity desperately attempted to comfort her friend. She managed to give off a refined air even under these trying circumstances and despite the fact that she had rushed out of her home the moment she read the news. She had gone to Twilight's library home seeking reassurance from the friend that lived closest to her. Unfortunately, Twilight had proven to be in desperately greater need of comfort than Rarity.

"You don't know that!" Twilight was starting to become wild eyed. Her mane was beginning to tangle itself from her restless movements. "This could be the worst thing that has happened in Equestria since... ever!"

"I'm sure that if one of the princesses had been hurt it would have been in the news Dear. In fact, I'm certain that I read that the only ones hurt were a few guardsponies."

"My brother is in the guard." Said Twilight with the horror of a sudden realization. "He could be hurt. He could be dying!"

"Darling, I'm sure nothing like that has happened. But if you're really worried, why don't you send a message to the Princess? I'm sure she will be glad to put your mind at ease." Rarity forced herself to continue radiating concern and comfort. She understood the urge to overact ones emotions to ensure those around you understood ones feelings, but Twilights constant attempts to find something more to panic about were getting on her nerves.

"The Princess! That's a great idea Rarity. I should have thought of it myself." Twilight allowed herself to relax just a fraction. Sending a letter was something she could do. She turned around, looking for her number one assistant. "Spike?"

The immature purple dragon had grown a bit in the last couple of years. He was about a head taller (or longer when he chose to walk on all fours) than he had been when Nighmare Moon had returned to Equestria and sported a small pair of wings. He sat at the table with the newspaper in front of him. He wasn't looking at it. In fact he didn't seem to be looking at anything in particular.

"Spike?" Twilight called again.

Spike startled as the sound of his name finally penetrated whatever thoughts occupied his mind. "Yes Twilight?" He responded.

"Take a letter Spike. I need to ask the Princess if my brother is okay."

"What?" Spike cried in alarm. "You don't think he's hurt do you?"

"I don't know." Some of the panic returned to Twilights eyes as she admitted her lack of knowledge. "That's why I need to ask Princess Celestia."

"Right." Spike jumped out of his chair. "I'll just..."

Spike grimaced as a familiar sensation interrupted him. With a belching noise and a flash of green flame, a scroll appeared in the air in front of him.

Twilight used her magic to snatch the scroll from the air before it could hit the floor. "The Princess!" She exclaimed. "She must have known I would be worried."

"That is very considerate of her." Rarity noted.

Twilight quickly unrolled the scroll and began to read from it.

To the Bearers of the Elements of Harmony,

By royal command you are hereby summoned to the Royal Palace in Canterlot. You are instructed to make all available haste. You should expect a royal chariot to arrive within the hour to expedite your journey.

By the command of her Royal Highness, the Princess of the Sun,

Celestia


****************************************************************


Naturally, Twilight panicked. It was, however, a very organized and productive sort of panic. Fuelled by a frenzy of nervous energy, Twilight rushed around Ponyville ordering her friends around and organizing them for a trip to Canterlot. She was so efficient in her task that the last of her friends (AppleJack) arrived at the Ponyville library only a few minutes after the chariot pulled by a team of four pegasus guardsponies did. At the purple mares insistence, Twilight, Spike, and the rest of her friends immediately climbed aboard the chariot and began the journey to Canterlot.

Rarity had worried that, lacking an outlet for her nervous energy during the flight, Twilight would work herself into a blind panic again. To prevent this from happening Rarity had conspired with Pinkie Pie to keep Twilight distracted during the trip.

It turned out, however, that her schemes were unnecessary. Exhausted by her mad rush to organize her friends, Twilight soon collapsed onto the floor of their vehicle.

The journey itself was quite peaceful compared to the hours that had preceded it. Fluttershy fussed over Twilight. Rainbow Dash attempted to goad the guardsponies into a race. And Pinky Pie, who either failed to realize or didn't care that it was no longer necessary, consistently derailed any conversation about the reason for their sudden summons.

As they approached the palace Twilight roused herself from her stupor. The chariot was parked on a large balcony and the passengers were ushered inside. Within minutes they found themselves in the presence of the Princess of the Sun.

"Thank you all for coming on such short notice my little ponies." Said Celestia. She seemed more grim than they had seen since the changeling invasion. "I am afraid I have dire news. As you may have already heard, late last night the palace was attacked by a large dragon."

"Yes princess. It was in the newspapers." Twilight responded.

"D-d-dragon?" Squeaked Fluttershy.

"And you want us to teach him a lesson?" Rainbow Dash hovered in the air above her friends. "I'll kick his flank just like that dragon that was covering Equestria in smoke!"

"That's not the way Ah remember it." Drawled Applejack.

"What you would not have heard is something we did not realize until we began to assess the damage caused by his attack." Celestia continued as if she had not been interrupted. "My sister fought the creature in the statue garden, and as a result a number of statues were broken. Discords statue, however, is missing entirely."

The gathered ponies collectively flinched at that piece of news. Pinkie Pies eternal smile faded. Rarity 'fainted'. And Fluttershy curled into a ball.

"Ya mean Discord's loose again?" Applejack said. Her worry evident in her voice.

"No. Or at least, not yet." Celestia replied. "I would know if he had escaped. But whatever the dragon plans for the statue, it cannot be good. The creature has a solid head start, and tracking him will be difficult. It is unlikely that anypony could catch him in time to prevent Discords release."

"That's why you sent for us." Said Twilight with sudden understanding. "You need us to go after the dragon and recapture Discord if he has escaped."

Celestia smiled at her student. "Yes, but you will not be going alone. My sister will be guiding you. She feels that it is her responsibility."

"Princess Luna is coming with us?" Pinkie Pie chirruped. "Oooh, this will be a super duper fun trip! We can play games and tell stories..."

"I am afraid that having fun will not be... a high priority for my sister." Said Celestia. Then she softened her tone. "But if you could find a way to cheer her up I would appreciate it. Several guardsponies were hurt during the attack and Luna has taken their loss to heart."

At the mention of the hurt guardsponies Twilight previous fears resurfaced. "Celestia, my brother, Shining Armor... he's not... he wasn't..."

"He is unharmed Twilight. He was not even present during the attack." Celestia reassured her student.

Twilight gave a sigh of relief, which was followed by a moment of quiet. Applejack was the one to break the silence.

"Uh, Princess?" Applejack began. "Ah'm honored and all to help Equestria... again... but, uh, how long is this gonna take?"

"Applejack!" Scolded Rarity. "The Princess has asked for our help! It doesn't matter how long it will take, we have to do it!"

"Well Ah don't know about you missy," Applejack responded. "But Ah have responsibilities! Ah can't just up and disappear into the wild blue yonder for who-knows-how-long!"

"Girls, please." Celestias mild rebuke silenced the arguing friends. "I am afraid I have no way of knowing how long it will take to track the beast, or how much time it will take to set things right once you do. If all goes well it might be no longer than a week. If not... it could be months." She looked at the faces of the ponies in front of her. "I realize that money is a poor substitute for time spent away from your families and friends, but I could arrange a stipend to compensate you for you time in service to the crown. That way none of you should suffer financial hardships from your time away from home."

Applejack shifted uncomfortably. "That's mighty generous of ya Princess..." She began. Anything else she might have been going to say was cut off by a knock at the door.