• Published 23rd Apr 2020
  • 6,609 Views, 330 Comments

Sombra's Midnight Star - Twilighted Rose



For three thousand years he waited, mourning the loss of his mate. But now he found her but she doesn't remember what they had. Luckily Sombra has a spell to fix it.

  • ...
18
 330
 6,609

Harmony

Harmony

Pinkie was confused. How could this hunk-o-stallion be the tyrant king of the Crystal Empire? Sombra was an angry smoky gray unicorn that had a curved red horn. The alicorn that was standing right in-front of her was a glorious black and red specimen of a male. Muscles in every form for all to gloriously marvel at. How she wanted to stuff him to immortalize his visage. Yes, that would be nice.

“Uh… Pinkie? Ya droolin’ a little bit, sugar cube” Applejack grumbled as she poked her dazed friend. Pinkie snapped out of her lusty and sadistic thoughts.

“Umm, sorry, Applejack, I was just lost in thought.” Pinkie hastily wiped her mouth. Oh, sweet Celestia, she hoped that she didn’t embarrass herself in front of the incredibly beautiful Mr. Melodious Voice.

“Knowin’ you, sugar cube, it must’ve been in the bedroom with some poor pony tied in various positions.” Applejack said deadpanned. Pinkie just shrugged, not denying anything. Dashie was just snickering in the background.

“Well, I am glad that everypony is in high spirits,” Mr. Melodious said with a clap of his beautiful hooves, “but I must clarify some misconceptions. First things first, Ms. Pie, please wipe the drool off your face.”

Pinkie’s eyes widened as she desperately tried to wipe the drool off her face. Sweet Celestia, that was embarrassing.

“Better,” Ah, his voice was smoother than chocolate. Glorious. “I have not personally stepped in Equestia in over three thousand years. I have made clones that I have sent into your homeland to find my mate’s reincarnations. The clones were, unfortunately, corrupted going through the barrier. All because of something that Void made in their anger. It has been one of my corrupted clones that you had to have fought in the past.”

“Alright. Prove it!” Applejack snapped. “Prove that you had nothin’ to do with the Crystal Empire!”

“Applejack!” Dashie hissed as she tried quieting the orange pony. Applejack just bucked her off.

“No, Rainbow Dash, I ain’t ‘bout to give up on this.” Applejack said as moved further away from the distraught friend. Pinkie noticed that Fluttershy was cowering in the back as usual. She just rolled her eyes at this and pulled popcorn out of her mane to watch the drama unfold.

“He caused a lot of pain and misery to the Crystal ponies, and he has to answer for all of it!” Applejack screeched. “He even kidnapped Twilight! We don’t even know what he’s doin’ to her!”

And why should he answer to a mortal like you? A disembodied voice boomed inside her head, causing Pinkie’s head to hurt along with spilling her popcorn on the floor. Pinkie looked around to find that everypony except Mr. Melodious Voice was affected.

“What in tarnation was that?!” Applejack asked as she rubbed her head.

“That would be my nain a taid, my Grandparent.” Sombra said as he shook his head. Dashie jumped to her hooves with a shout (apparently she was lying on the floor), “Do you mean Void! As in the First Being! The first god?!”

“All around pain in my neck, back and whole body. The cause for my heartaches in the past.” Sombra growled. “The great and powerful Master of Souls, Void! And after about three thousand years, your great and powerfulness, you finally pay attention to me and defend me? What the…”

Ah! Somby, I am only defending you because this little heathen had disrespected the gods. And I am not going to take that lying down. Besides you’re basically a god now, the god of emotions. Because you’re sooo emotional! I mean cry me a river next time and stop complaining.

“Since when did you get sassy?!”

Blame Nebs. By my kids, I miss that girl. Best Ethereal I have ever trained. Sigh. She did what Midnight could never do, though it wasn’t entirely her fault. My Nebula was able to teach me how to feel and that “Friendship was magic”. That inside joke of ours became the montra of this generation. Ugggg….. Ridiculous.

“Right?!”Sombra laughed. His smile was radiant as the sun with all those sharp teeth.

“Hey! Friendship is magic!” Piped Pinkie. She was not going let anypony dogshit on her lifes moto.

Sure, kid, sure. Friendship is magical and all that. Say, Somby my boy, where’s your snacks? I am kinda peckish.

“I got mangos.” Sombra shrugged.

Ugg… no. Discord, do you have any food?

“You’re not touching my food!” Discord grumbled, poofing into the room. His arms were crossed over his chest. His eyes widen as if he relised something. “Shit! Dad! No!” He yelled, poofing out of the room.

Pinkie pie blinked. “Did he…? Where did he…? What just…? Huh?!”

“Well that happened.” Sombra said. “If you, my kind guests, exuse me. I have to mediate an ungodly debate.” With a flurry of wings and onyx feathers, Mr. Melodious left the room.

“I’ma gonna follow them!” Pinkie declared, racing towards the door. She vaguely heard Applejack yellin for her to wait but she didn’t. She had a god fight to see.

ΩMidnightΩ

“*Herk*what *herk* is *herk* that *herk* smell *herk*!” I gaged. “By the *herk* gods, that’s *herk* fowl! Did something *herk* die in *herk* here?” I think I’m going to throw up. It smells like the Main after a razing.

“Midnight!” Sombra shouted, but I couldn’t see him over the tears in my eyes from keeping my nonexistent breakfast in my stomach. Oh gods, I think that I’m going to be sick. Soft feathers wrap around my shacking form. Strong arms pulled me into a firm chest. Sombra started to purr while cooing sweet nothings.

“It is going all right. It is going all right.” He whispered in my ear. “I have you. I have you.” I started to hiccup as tears welled up in my eyes. My body started to shake. I couldn’t get enough air. There’s not enough air! There’s not enough air! I can’t any air!

“Pierre, come! We are taking Midnight out of here!” I felt my body shift to the left. Wind blew past my ears as I felt my face being squished to a black warm chest. Soft fur tickled my nose. The aroma of cloves and cinnamon overtook the smell of blood, settling my stomach in the process. I closed my eyes and snuggled closer to breathe in more of the scent. It smelled like home.

“My Lord’s Lady, are you alright?” I frowned. Am I? Am I doing all right? Yes, yes, I am. I’m snuggling a purring warm blanket. Of course, I am all right. “Miss Star, answer me!”

“Shhh…. I’m cuddling.” I spoke. I snuggled closer to the fluffy purring blanket. The said purring blanket snorted. I blinked. My blanket just snorted. How dare…! The audacity!

“I think she is alright, Pierre.” The blanket rumbled. Blankets shouldn’t make noise! Blankets should be quiet and not laugh! “Blanket? Since when am I a blanket? Midnight, darling, I think that you have went off the deep end.”

“Shut up, Blanket!”

“Why should I?”

“Just shut up and let me snuggle!” I buried my face further into his fur and hummed in contentment. “You smell nice, and I want to snuggle, Blanket.”

“Well, I have nothing to say about this revelation but…”

“Shut up, Blanket!”

“Ah, young love. Is it not a glorious a sight to see” Pierre sighed. “So, when is the wedding?”
“Shut up, Pierre,” Blanket growled. I growled at the both of them. And they laughed! Laughed! The audacity!

“Shut up both of you!” I snapped. “Can a girl snuggle her purring blanket in peace?”

“As much as I would love to let you continue to snuggle your ‘blanket’, fy un Bach I,” Blanket rumbled again, “but unfortunately I have to finish something important, so I have put you down.”

Panic flooded my system when I heard this. “No!” I yelled. I held on tighter, not wanting to let go. He can’t go! He just can’t!

“I am not going far, Midnight,” he soothed as he slowly extracted me from him, “but I have to finish what I started.”

“No, no, no! Don’t go! Please don’t go!” I pleaded as he successfully detangled my limbs from his. He carefully placed me on the ground. I cried out and ran towards him. I just can’t be a way from him right now. Red magic envelope me, lifting me off the ground. I was placed right back where I was before.

Sombra walked up to me and placed his forehead on mine. He closed his eyes and started to purr again. I closed my eyes with a smile as his purr washed over me.

“Stay, please stay here and wait for me, love,” He whispered, “I will be back soon.”

“Ok.” I choked on the emotions that clogged my throat. I felt him smile.

“Good girl.” I giggled at the endearment. Me good? Ok, I’ll be his good girl as long as he doesn’t leave. But he did and now I’m feeling everything close around me. The smell of blood and rot was thick in the air causing me to the nearest tree and throw up the nonexistent breakfast I had.

I felt a small weight land on my back. Small arms wrapped around my neck. A purr, not as strong as Sombra, soothed my upset stomach. For that I was grateful.

“Thank you, Pierre, that helps a lot.”

“It is my utmost pleasure, my Lord’s lady.”

“Where are we, Pierre?” I asked as I looked around my surroundings. Evergreen trees towered towards the blue sky, blocking out the sun in the process. It would been a nice, serene place, with the birds singing and chipmunks talking, if wasn’t for the smell. I followed it to a cave. It was really unassuming. Nothing extraordinary about it. The entrance was tall enough for Sombra to enter without hitting his horn on the ceiling. It just wide enough for two of me to fit through, but one of him. Vines covered the gray rocks making a beautiful serine place. But what the river of clotting blood ruined the image.

Through for me it wasn’t the clotting river of blood that freaked me out. No, no, no, it was the silver branches with bits of bones floating in the clotting river that freaked me out. The bones were fused to the silver branches, and some had bits of shimmering fur and flesh. What was going on?

Sombra

I waded back through this awful cave towards my mother. The branches have spread faster this time around then last time. It has gotten worse. How could I continue doing this? It was just too painful. Every year for the last fifty years, finding my mother turning into a tree. Every year braking and cutting off branches adding to ever growing river of blood. It was becoming too much. But I will continue doing this to see my mother’s smile, to hear her sarcastic quips, and ender her bad pranks. I want to keep my mother around for as long as possible. And to do that I have to cut these branches off.

I picked up my carving tools and started carving out her back legs. They were mostly roots now but I’ll be damned if I leave them like that. One good thing that came out of this whole ordeal was my carving skills were great. Heh… Harmony wanted me to create art. Who knew that that she had to become a tree for me start?

“Who art thou?” A whispered floated to my ears.

“My name is Sombra.” Came my usual response. It hurts so much when this happens.

“Sombra? Sombra who?”

“Sombra your son. I am your son.”

“I do not recall having a son. Are thou confusing me with someone else?” Wood groaned as she shifted. Unfocused multi- faceted eyes watched me as I break off some bloody bark.

“No, I am not.” Another piece came off.

“Void will never allow me to have a child. Are ye saying that I hath succeeded in making a child?”

“Yes, Mam, you have succeeded.” Another piece added to the ever-growing pile.

“I hath successfully rebelled against Void. Hehe. Tell me, kind god, what is my child like? Are they noble?” I stopped and was taken aback that she did not recognize me. How does one go about answering? My eyes became watery as I try to figure how to answer. Her unfocused eyes bore into my soul. I gave her an uneasy smile. A lump formed into my throat. I coughed a few times to clear it.

“W-well, he is a lot like me.” I choked out. She just nodded her head and looked away. I sighed and got back to work. Time felt like it was moving slowly as I carved out her hind legs. She went silent after that. I told her stories, trying to help her remember. I told all about Midnight, nothing. I asked her about Void, but still, she didn’t respond. It was as if she was not even present anymore. Like her mind had left and all that remained was her body. I just don’t know how much longer I can take this.

“There all finished. Time to get up.” I said as I gently nudge her wing over my shoulders. I slowly lifted her off the ground. She stumbled a little bit as she got her footing. Our hooves splashed as we waded through the blood. I need to get out of here. The smell was finally getting to me. We made it to the entrance. I forgot how small it was. Ugg… I grounded my teeth together as I racked my brain to find a solution. Because we’re both not fitting through that!

Harmony’s head started to droop. I felt mine go down as well. An idea formed in my head. I should just make the entrance wider! That’s sounds like great idea! I lifted my head with a newfound determination. Lighting up my horn, I zeroed in on the rocks around the entrance. With a flick of my head the rocks went flying. With a weary smile, I nudged Harmony. Her head shot up with a snort.

“I did not blow Discord’s head off, Void, I promise!” She shouted. She looked frantically left and right. She finally calms down when she did not find what she was looking for. A small smile formed on my lips. I remember that story. It was a very funny story. With another slight nudge, we started walking.

The evening sun hurt my eyes as we exited the dark cave. I blinked the dots that started to dance in eyes. I frowned as I looked at the scene right in front of me. Large boulders lay atop of fall-in trees. Little bits of bones and branches scattered around the forest’s floor. And there, right in the middle of the mess sitting on a boulder, was my Midnight hugging Pierre. Her pretty amethyst eyes were wide with fear. When am I ever going to see her eyes filled with anything other than fear?

ΩMidnightΩ

Three hours. Three hours since Sombra went into that creepy cave. Three hours of me stewing on this boulder that I have found. Thinking of what I said. Ugg…. I called Sombra, the First Born, the most gorgeous being in the universe, a blanket. A blanket! I begged him not to go. I’m so embarrassed. And Pierre was not helping. The dang Kinku was giggling and trying to plan out my wedding. My Wedding! Something that I know won’t happen.

“Violet or periwinkle, my Lord’s Lady?”

“Huh?”

“Violet or periwinkle?”

“I got that, but what for?”

“Well, for the flowers at your wedding day! Of course!” Pierre chirped. Did he have to be so giddy?

“Pierre, I do not think that there will be a wedding.” I said. I started to tap my hoof in agitation. “There’s no way in Harmony’s green earth, that there is going to be a wedding. Sombra and me, it is not going to happen. Please stop. I just cannot take it anymore. Sombra is in there and doing who knows what. I’m out here while he is in that cave doing who knows what! AND YOU ARE PLANNING A NON-EXISTANT WEDDING?!” I huffed. By Harmony, I was very irritated. How could he? How could he mention a goal that was unattainable by me? I realized that I fell in love with him when he lost his head, but I shouldn’t act on these feeling. It would only lead to heartbreak. Even though in my dream last night Harmony asked me to take care of Sombra and made me promise. But a promise in a dream, no matter how it felt real, should not be taken seriously. It was all a figment of my…

“It is how I am coping, my Lord’s lady,” Pierre interrupted my thoughts. I turned to see him clutching white lily to his chest, tears forming in his eyes, “If you had seen what I have seen in that cave, you too would try your best to forget about it. I am planning your wedding because in my gut I know that it will happen. And my gut is never wrong.” He gave me a watery smile. “I-I wish. (gulp) I w-wish that I h-have n-never seen w-what I-I saw. H-how can t-the Lord go t-through that e-every single y-year for last f-fifty year?” Tears started to pour as he clutched the lilies harder. His small frame shook so hard the petals started to fall off. I wrapped my forearms around his shaking shoulders, squeezing him into my chest. I started to rub circles between his wing, trying my best to sooth him. A few minutes later his sobs quieted.

“I-I deeply apologize for my lack of decorum, my Lord’s lady,” he said as he wiped the last tears from his eyes, “It was not how a proper Kinku acts. I unbecoming of me to show so much emotions. For that I beg for your forgiveness. Oh dear, I destroyed my favorite flower.” I gently took the destroyed flower out of his paws and pulled him closer.

“Will you please tell me what happen in there?” I asked as I laid my head in between his ears. His soft, fluffy ears. His soft purr was starting to turn my legs into jelly. “Pierre?”

“It was completely horrible. Completely and utterly horrible. The Great Goddess reduced to…”

BOOM!

Rocks and boulders flew past my head with a hint of red magic trailing behind them. I squeezed Pierre tighter while ducking my head. I screamed as the rock crashed into the trees. Pierre started to squeak in protest as I slowly lifted my head. There at the entrance to the cave, which was a lot smaller moments ago, was Sombra and a dull grey, bloodied alicorn. I squeezed Pierre tighter as I watch the scene unfold. Pierre squeaks of protest barely reached my ears as I shook from fear. Only one question rang in my head over and over again. What just happened?