• Published 22nd Aug 2012
  • 1,002 Views, 5 Comments

An Adventure into E-Questria - RFPegasus



Twilight's sleep-over doesn't go as she had planned, but a certain role-playing game saves the day

  • ...
 5
 1,002

Chapter 6: The Unravelling- Rarity Knows Best

“Wait!” Twilight cried, gaining the full attention of the group, “you can’t just say that you won a battle, no matter what Rarity says- you still have to explain in detail every single move.” She exaggerated the last three words in a malicious way; she was going to make them pay for changing the rules, at least with rolling each turn there was little chance of an argument kicking off.
Twilight Sparkle was indeed correct, the five friends began bickering and yelling about who does what where when and how, the room was a flurry of unidentifiable speech in that battle.
“Why don’t we just roll for each turn-”
“Oh Twilight, that’s ridiculous, you can’t expect us to sit here, rolling those dice for an hour at a time,” Rarity whined, she was starting to realise that Twilight was regretting the idea of this game altogether, “surely it would be better to explain everything and be done with it, we’ll be here until morning if we roll on everything!”
“Yeah, and, I’m not say we’re intelligent-less, but some of us here-” Applejack gestures towards Pinkie Pie and Rainbow Dash, “ain’t all good with numbers,” both of the accused glared at Applejack, “-umm, myself included,” she added sheepishly.
“Right... I think it’s time we take a break; we’ve done this long enough. How about some lovely card games or maybe a nice game of-”
“No.” The five ponies interrupted in unison.
Twilight was really not enjoying this right now, “let’s get a drink.” She demanded subtly, but sternly.
The six friends returned after a short departure from the ‘room of conflict’ (so named for the evening) a lovely refreshing drink in their hooves. Nothing much happened while they drank, everypony sat around slurping their juice, no screeching, no screaming no whining no crying no arguments, no prancing, no singing, no enacting, no fighting, no explaining, no long lists, no nothing...
That was, until Rarity exploded suddenly (metaphorically of course!) “I-dea!” she chorused through the silence.
Twilight sighed once more, “what is it?” she asked, trying to be polite, although her false-enthusiasm was of close quality to cardboard.
“Seeing as rolling is absolutely ridiculous,” she glared at the other unicorn, “and explaining isn’t getting us anywhere fast,” she turned her look over to Applejack, Pinkie Pie and Rainbow Dash, “how about we take it in turns to explain their part, and, instead of rolling, we, as a group-” she partially pre-regretted suggesting such a thing, “...decide whether or not it is a good enough explanation to be a successful move-”
“And fair.” Applejack added.
“Okay,” the purple unicorn was in agreement with this new idea, “so, since Rainbow Dash starts the conflict, how about she starts?”
“We’re quick to get back to the story now aren’t we Twilight?” Rarity commented, “there you were, trying to get us to quit this game-” Rarity had one hoof over Twilight’s shoulder, the other arcing across in front of them, “but, thanks to my generous suggestion-”
“Err, what exactly are you trying to get at here Rarity?” Twilight asked, half annoyed, half confused.
“Well- just- Rarity knows best, alright?” Rarity replied in her voice she uses to greet royalty.
“Right...” Dash said, “So... I smack that soldier on the head!” she explains, imitating the move on Fluttershy, who was most displeased to be hit around the head.
“Ouch, careful Rainbow Dash- that hurt.”
“Err, oops, heh, sorry about that! Anyway, then I-”
Twilight stopped Rainbow Dash from continuing, “that can wait until your next turn.”
“You ‘smack’ him on the head?” Rarity asked, “Maybe you could elaborate a bit more?”
“I hit him on the head so hard; his helmet gets stuck over his eyes!” Dash corrected expressively, covering Fluttershy’s eyes with her hooves.
“Ugh,” Rarity was still not one-hundred-percent happy with the poor explanation, but it would have to do to keep twilight happy, “that’ll do, I guess.”
Super Awesome Commander Rainbow hammered the helm of the nearest soldier, sending him crashing to the floor, the steel cap reverberating loudly on his skull. Several of the fighters had readied their weapons, charging at the traitor...
All this happened in front of the two, rather confused earth ponies: Applejack and Pinkie Pie.
“Applejack! You’re up!” Rarity demanded.
“Applejack: you’re stood against your tent, a very large stallion in front of you holding his pike to your throat,” Twilight explained.
“Is he like Big Macintosh?” Applejack asked, an idea springing in the depths of her mind.
“...yes! Exactly like Big Mac!” Twilight said.
“Eeyup!” Rainbow Dash quoted, gaining a slit-eyed look from Applejack.
“So...” a smile appeared on Applejack’s face, “ah go straight through his legs, up out behind him and jump up, ridin’ him like a rodeo!”
“Okay...”
“Wow, you do that to Big Mac?” Rainbow asked, a faint giggle apparent in her tone of voice.
“Ah sure do, been doing it since we were little fillies,” Applejack smirked, reminiscing her childhood.
Applejack managed to flank her oversized capturer, behind him, she was able to mount up and ride him like a rodeo pony. The soldier hops and bucks wildly, galloping through the legion of warriors, toppling hundreds at a time like dominoes.
“Pinkie!” Rarity continued.
After being forced to unhand her third drink, pinkie finally plays her part, “What am I doing?” she asks.
“Well, you're sat on the floor-”
“No silly! In the game! What am I doing in the game?” Pinkie corrected.
“Hmm...” Twilight tried to remember-
“You were being held captive by an enormous stallion with Applejack, but now they’re both gone,” Rarity recalled flawlessly.
“So nothing’s happening? Well, I’ll just sit there and watch; I’d find Applejack playing pony dominoes with rodeo funny!” Pinkie stated, falling onto her back giggling at the idea of such a sight.
“And now, after long wait, I, Rarity: the regal paladin, finally step in to aid during this ‘brawl’ that you’d call a fight...”
Pinkie Pie sat amidst the battle, watching as heavily armoured ponies flew hopelessly through the air, slid along the ground or otherwise rendered defenceless; she would gasp the occasional ‘ooh’ or ‘ahh’ as if they were fireworks. Applejack used her classic riding and cattle-herding techniques to drive the soldiers into groups, Rainbow Dash blasting through them with speed, toppling the elites. Rarity, although not in the fight, began to provide helpful magical benefits to her new companions (from such a distance where she was certain she would not get dirty) healing, shielding and improving the three (although Pinkie didn’t require much attention.)