• Published 23rd Mar 2020
  • 422 Views, 41 Comments

Last Mare on Earth - Coyotek4



Pinkie Pie is possibly the last living creature on Earth. Will she find a way to stop the cause of her predicament?

  • ...
2
 41
 422

Thirty Days Later

Thirty days. The time had finally come.

Pinkie Pie had been unable to sleep much over the past eight hours, but any semblance of tiredness was lost as she bounced out of bed and pronked over to the window shade. She pulled up the shade as sunlight flooded her room.

“Good morning, sun!” she calls out the window. “Good morning, moon!” You know what today is, right?”

Pinkie glances over her shoulder, her focus shifting to a small rock and a stick on the nightstand.

Whaaat? Hey, I know they’re not real like us.”

The rock and stick stay still. Pinkie rolls her eyes and groans, then chuckles as she makes her way to the nightstand.

“You are so literal, Boulder. Anyway, it’s been thirty days, and you know what that means!”

Pinkie sighs. “No, we’re not visiting the quarry again. Besides, we’ve done that three times this week. Take a break, already!”

“We’re not visiting the arboretum either, Twiggy. I mean, wow, it’s not like Gummy was ever this insistent!”

Pinkie gulps. “I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to … I shouldn’t have said that. My bad!” Her expression then brightens. “Today’s the day I can finally make the call!”

“I know, but I promised Twilight I’d wait at least thirty days. It was a Pinkie promise.”

Pinkie sighs again. “There’s just no getting through to some rocks. Now come on; I got a lot to do today!” Her mane extends to grab the rock and stick from the nightstand; once secure, she bounds down the stairs.


It had been over a moon since anycreature set hoof, claw, or foot in the School of Friendship. A stillness pervades the hallways and empty classrooms that once housed a number of ponies and other creatures … but not in the gymnasium where Rainbow Dash had once conducted so many activities. Today, the floor of the gym was piling up with articles from the supply closet; balls, weights, whistles … equipment of all sorts began cluttering around as Pinkie continued a search.

“I know they’re in here somewhere,” Pinkie calls out as the rock and stick lay near the door, tucked away from the growing pile of clutter. “Why couldn’t Rainbow Dash have been more like Twilight when it came to organization?”

Pinkie pauses and turns to the rock and stick. “You know I didn’t mean it that way! I wouldn’t change anything about anypony! Well … maybe Mudbriar.”

She chuckles, but quickly composes herself and addresses the stick. “Oh, come on … OK, I’m sorry about that. I know you were closer to him than I was. I just never quite got that pony.”

“You’re right … it was still inconsiderate of me. But I really am doing my best … I made a promise to Maud and Mudbriar; you just have to trust me.”

“Oh, I’ll earn your trust. You’ll see!” Smiling, Pinkie returns her focus to the pile of supplies. A large sack labelled ‘Cheer Squad’ catches her eye. She opens the sack and gasps in excitement.

“FOUND THEM!” she triumphantly exclaims. “OK you two, I got what we need. Now to put my plan into action!”

Joyously, she grabs the sack with her teeth and the rock and stick with her tail … and pronks out the gym.


Though she had gotten used to the emptiness of the main thoroughfare in Ponyville, she never fully accepted it.

On a day like today, the paths would usually be packed with ponies. Ponies making their way to businesses or gatherings. Ponies just observing from the side, bidding all who pass by a cheerful ‘Hello’. Ponies peeking out of windows, just admiring the scene.

But that was all in the past. Pinkie knew it, even if she didn’t like it. She liked having scores of ponies around; the new reality was still hard to accept. But she kept thoughts like this in check by keeping busy, and today brought much to be busy with.

“You know who would have appreciated all of this?” Pinkie asks as the rock and stick lay on the side of the path. “Fluttershy. Why couldn’t she have been the one who was …” She pauses mid-thought. “Yeah, you’re right. You’re right a lot, Boulder. It would have been super-hard on her with none of her animal friends around. I’m just being selfish again, I guess.”

“Hey, this isn’t easy on any of us. But I am trying; you have to give me that much, right?”

“We’ve been over this before, Twiggy! There aren’t any more trains, and it would be super-hard to get everywhere on hoof! And Ponyville is just … it’s home. I don’t want to leave home … and after this, maybe I won’t have to.”

Pinkie turns back to her work: a pair of rectangular tables adjacent by their smaller sides hold a dozen megaphones, each attached end-to-end with one another. Seeing everything set up as intended, she turns on one megaphone after another, finally reaching the one at the edge of her table.

Pinkie turns again to the rock and stick. “Oh, this will work … believe me!” she slyly states. She takes a deep breath, turns on the final megaphone, and shouts:

ALIVE IN PONYVILLE!!!


…eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee…

Regaining consciousness, Pinkie staggers to her hooves. She shakes her head in a desperate attempt to end the ringing sensation in her ears.

“… whooaaoo … how long was I …”

Pinkie blinks once and utters a weak “uh oh” as she gazes at the homes and storefronts and shards of broken glass littering the yards. She scans the area for any window unaffected by her action, but is unable to locate a single one.

She suddenly turns to the rock and stick “You did NOT say ‘I told you so’!” she snaps. She turns back to the sight of Ponyville and its shattered windows, and sighs. “At least I have more constructive things to do,” she concedes.



Thirty more days. Or maybe it was twenty. Or forty. By now, Pinkie Pie had lost track.

Pinkie Pie had been unable to sleep much over the past eight hours, though this was nothing new. She missed the contrasts of day and night, but long ago accepted the reality of her situation. She trudged her way out of bed and strolled over to the window shade. She pulled up the shade as sunlight flooded her room.

“Morning, sun!” she glumly says. “Morning, moon!” She then walks over to the rock and stick on the nightstand.

“Why? I don’t know, really.” She pauses. “I guess it just helps me to pretend that they hear me.”

Pinkie smiles. “Thanks, Twiggy. That does help.” She sighs. “Well, back to work, right?”

She grabs a broom and, the rock and stick in tow, makes her way down the stairs.


“Oatmeal? Naah, I don’t really miss oatmeal. I do miss cupcakes, though … cupcakes, real cakes, Mr. and Mrs. Cake …”

The rock and stick lay on the side of the path as Pinkie continues to brush glass shards towards a dustpan.

“Sorry, I know, I’m doing it again, obsessing over … I’ll stop, I promise.”

“That’s not worth a ‘Pinkie Promise’. It just isn’t … look, let me just finish this bit and then we’ll discuss, OK?”

She turns back towards the shards and sweeps the last remnants of another window into the dustpan. Her tail picks up the dustpan, careful not to spill any shards, and empties the contents into a trash can.

She turns to the rock and stick. “I know nopony is coming to pick up the trash, but it’s better to keep all that broken glass here than just lying outside. Besides, this is only the fourth can I’ve filled; there’re plenty more cans around Ponyville.”

“Finally, we agree on something! You know, I could use a break; how ‘bout we take a trip back to the quarry. I know we haven’t done that in a while.”

Pinkie chuckles. “Fine, we’ll make time for the arboretum, too. Everyone wins!”

Her tail scoops up the rock and stick, placing them in her mane. “OK, let’s go to—”


Pinkie gasps loudly as her eyes scan the distance and see … a silhouetted figure of some pony.

In an instant, she bolts towards the figure; the rock and stick fall from her mane and drop to the ground.