• Published 19th Aug 2011
  • 2,137 Views, 11 Comments

Accidental Heroism - Zaffy



A young man is led to Equestria, and accidentally becomes it's hero.

  • ...
12
 11
 2,137

Chapter 1: It's All Downhill From Here

“Long ago, even before Princess Celestia and Princess Luna became the Princesses of Equestria, Equestra’s pony population thrived happily in a valley known as Pepperland. earth ponies, pegasi and unicorns coexisted peacefully with other types of ponies like sea ponies and many more, rarer, more majestic creatures like dragons. One day, creatures known as ‘humans’ crossed the boundaries between dimensions. Humans, usually highly intelligent over strong, had made many technological and magical advancements over the time of their visits, making life even nicer for pony kind. However, the humans feared the strength and size of the dragons, chasing many away from Pepperland. This soon led to a war which became known as the Night that Never Ends. From regions unknown, a powerful baphomet-centaur named Tirek struck a deal with the dragons; using his dark magic, he granted the dragons even more power, in exchange for their loyalty. Tirek had his dragon soldiers kidnap many different ponies for reasons unknown to these soldiers, but the dragons complied regardless. It seemed that Tirek’s army couldn’t be stopped, until a few humans developed a means of mixing magic and technology together and was successfully able to push back the dragon forces. Tirek was not pleased with this result, and as such, revoked his deal with the dragons and took their added power away. He then revealed his plan: Using a powerful dark energy known as the ‘Rainbow of Darkness’, he corrupted the souls and bodies of the Ponies that he captured, either turning them into mindless slaves, creatures of the night, or even fearsome dragons to pull his Chariot of Darkness. Aboard this chariot, his power rose exponentially, and no one could stop him. That is when one Human thought of an idea; since neither of the four tribes could defeat them alone, he used his own magic to mix the powers of the four into himself, gaining the powers of the greatest dragons, earth ponies, pegasi and unicorns, along with his own magic and technology. Using this power, he sealed away Tirek and, sadly, the corrupted ponies away in a realm of darkness, from which they thought he came. After the war, the man used the last of his power to close off the portals to alternate dimensions, and sealed away the Tribal Essences; four medallions containing the essence of his powers and the four tribes inside Pepperland. Finally, he sealed away Pepperland from Equestria, in hopes that those powers would never fall into the wrong hands, let alone be needed again, before exhausting his life force and fading away. Because of Pepperland’s sealing, pony types like the sea ponies ceased to flourish in place of species such as griffons and increasing the number of different tribes. Legend has it that Pepperland and its inhabitants still exist, and that they are simply hidden away until the Tribal Essences are needed again.”

Twilight Sparkle’s horn glowed faintly in the dark of the room, closing the rather large book of mythology.
On the floor, in a basket and wrapped in blankets, was Spike, who had been listening intently since the start. He was quiet for a few moments, looking around the room a bit, before looking back up at Twilight “Hey Twi, do you think this all really happened?” he asked.
Twilight sighed softly “Honestly, Spike, I wouldn’t put too much thought into it. After all, it is just a legend.” She told him.
“But what about the prophecy involving Nightmare Moon? That was just a legend, and it happened!” Spike retorted.
“Spike, don’t you think that, if all legends were true, that there would be a bunch of evil monsters and heroes living around in Equestria?” Twilight asked with a small laugh.
Spike pondered on the question for a few moments, before shrugging “I guess you’re right… But what about those… ‘Human’ things? Doesn’t the book mention anything about what they look like?”
Twilight shook her head “Not a single word.” She answered “And I’ve read just about every book here once, if not twice, and it’s the first time I’ve ever heard about them, either.” She explained.
Spike sighed, and said “Wow, that sucks… Do you think there are any still alive?” he asked.
This question made Twilight Sparkle stop to think; did those ‘human’ creatures still exist, let alone ever exist? She thought of writing to Princess Celestia about them, but pushed those thoughts aside when Spike spoke up again.
“So? What do you think?”
“I’m not sure what to think. I don’t even know if they really do exist or not.” She sighed “Enough questions, it’s time for bed…” she told him before climbing up into her own bed. She had done a lot of work during the day, so she was going to get to bed early tonight. She smiled as she snuggled her head up to the pillow, saying “Goodnight, Spike,”
Spike answered with a quiet “G’Night, Twilight…” While Twilight Sparkle fell asleep a few moments after her head hit the pillow, Spike couldn’t fall asleep so easily, especially not after hearing that story. His gaze fell to the window, and he mumbled a quiet “I wonder what the human world is like…” before curling up beneath the blanket to try and sleep.


“Capture him! He must not escape with that drug!” a voice rang out from the entrance of a dark alley. A group of men in black cloaks ran into the metallic outdoor hall.
Their boots loudly announced their presence to a young boy, looking no older than 19, ran as quietly as possible from these men in black. The boy looked back, just in time to see a magical fireball soaring towards him; it wasn’t too big, but it would probably hurt like hell. He brought up his arm in reflex, the fire dissipating when it hit the arm cannon covering his hand, wrist and part of his forearm. Before turning a corner deeper into the metal maze, he stopped, pulled a pair of goggles with a blue rim and black, tinted lenses and pointed his arm out at the assailants “Eat this...” He muttered, tapping a button on the arm cannon covering his hand, wrist and part of his forearm. He quickly took aim and fired what looked like a small, round ball of light which, upon colliding with the metal floor, released a blinding flash.
The cloaked men yelled in pain, the light scorching their retinas and allowing the boy to escape further into the alleys.
The boy knew, however, that the light wouldn’t last long. He had to act quickly, unless he wanted to be caught. He shuffled his hand around in a rather large satchel slung around him and hanging at his side and pulled out a small machine. It had two small, metal bars on its sides, and a holographic screen between the bars. His other hand, now that the bracelet had reverted to its original shape, allowed him to type something quick into the screen “Come on, come on… Find me a warp point… I’ve got to get out of here…!” he muttered, typing away and hoping the screen would pick up something. It remained blank for several moments. Suddenly, he heard the assailants’ footsteps again, and he picked up the pace “Damn it all!” he spat, about to stash the machine back into the box, but stopped himself when the machine pinged softly and slowly, having located something. A rather large grin stretched across the boy’s face “Bingo. Jacob, you are a genius for creating this thing.” He snickered. His shoes let out a quiet hiss, now spitting out air from the bottom, and making him step faster and lighter. The machine in his hand pinged faster and louder by the second, until he stopped himself at a dead end. His eyes, confused and annoyed, scanned the sight before him; a large set of wooden doors. He slowly stepped forward towards it “What the hell is this…? I thought there was a Warp Scar here?!” he groaned angrily, stashing the machine in his box. He then heard more yelling not too far off from his position, and said “Screw it, anywhere’s got to be better than here!” he gulped nervously, stepping again towards the door, taking note of a rather large “E” engraved on it, and opening it. He was blinded by a bright light, before everything went black.