• Published 19th Aug 2012
  • 846 Views, 10 Comments

The Griffon War - ihaveofficiallyretired



A few years after the defeat of Nightmare Moon, Equestria goes to war with the Griffon Kingdom.

  • ...
 10
 846

Chapter 1

“And…Perfect!” exclaimed Rosebud as she finished aligning the banners inside the hall. Rosebud was in charge of making sure the Tenth Summer Sun Celebration came together properly. Now that the last banner had been put into place, she could finally relax a little. “And to think, after all that work, in two days it will all get torn down…Oh well. It will still be amazing.”

“Hey Rose!” shouted a crimson pegasus entering the hall.

Rose jumped as she turned around to face Storm Chaser, her best friend who was also helping her with the preparations. “Oh, Stormy! You startled me!”

“I noticed,” he replied, with a hint of sarcasm in his voice. “Anyway, I just thought you should know that the courtyard is as ready as it’s going to be.”

“Fantastic. I can’t believe that we are actually in charge of the festivities.”

“I know. It’s an honor. Anyway, are you all done here?”

The beige unicorn stopped to think for a moment, thinking through everything. “Did your cousin get that rainbow order taken care of?”

“Yeah, it will be ready as soon as the princess has raised the sun.”

“I still can’t get over the fact that Cloudsdale is manufacturing rainbows now. I would love to know how they do it…”

“I’ll ask my cousin tomorrow when I see him.”

Rosebud beamed. “Then I suppose we are all done. I want to make sure we get there early. I really don’t want to miss anything. ANYTHING.”

Storm Chaser sighed. “Fine, fine. Whatever you want.”

The two ponies casually walked out of the Grand Hall, a building almost as majestic and beautiful as the Royal Castle itself. The hall was built after Nightmare Moon was banished to the moon, partially because Celestia wanted little to do with the castle anymore. It reminded her too much of her sister.

They made their way to one of the many cafes that lined the streets of Canterlot, desperate for a meal after many hours of tedious work.

“So, there I was,” started Storm Chaser in between bites of food, “and the two unicorns picked me up with their magic, and just flung me like a sling shot. IT WAS AWESOME.”

Rosebud just sat across from him, slightly disgusted with his manners. “Ugh. Must you talk while you eat? It’s just…nasty.”

Storm Chaser filled his mouth with food. “Yesh.”

“How are we even friends?” Storm Chaser shrugged. It was then that they were approached by one of the royal guard.

“Hey. You were friends with the captain, right?” the guard asked, the question directed to Storm Chaser.

He spoke up. “Oh yeah, we go way back. I tell ya, he was trouble when we were colts. Lying, stealing, you name it. He really turned his life around when he joined the guard.”

“Have you any idea where he might be?”

“Uh….Last I heard he was taking care of some family matter out in that new settlement…Manehattan I think. Why?”

The guard shifted nervously. “And that’s what the record shows. However, he was supposed to have been back by now. When he didn’t report in yesterday, we all had thought he may have gotten lost or held up from weather. When he didn’t report in today…”

“You mean he’s missing?”

“It would certainly seem that way.”

“No…No, that can’t be. He wouldn’t just…disappear.” Storm Chaser looked off in the distance, not really focusing on anything in particular. He was worried, that much was clear. One of his closest friends was missing.

“If you find out anything, let us know.”

“Um…Yeah. Okay.” The guard left, his business finished.

“Stormy? You gonna be okay?” asked Rosebud gently.

“Yeah…I’m sure he’s fine. The stallion can barely find his way around Canterlot. I’m sure he’s just lost. That’s all.”
“You still want to go to the Summer Sun Celebration tonight? I would understand –“

Storm Chaser cut her off. “Are you kidding? After all the work we put into it, I am NOT missing it. Don’t worry.” His was careful not to let his true emotions show upon his face.

“Hm...Fine then. Let’s start getting ready for the festival.” Rosebud and Storm Chaser paid for their meal (though neither of them actually finished).

The news just delivered to Storm Chaser kept floating around in the back of his mind. He and the captain had always been close, almost like brothers. Sure, they were troubled colts, but they turned their lives around. One had become the captain of the royal guard and the other the head of Canterlot’s weather patrol. Since relations with the Griffon Kingdom had become so tense the last few years, they saw each other even less. Storm Chaser could hardly remember their last conversation.

“Hey. Storm. You all right?”

“Huh?” Storm Chaser was so caught up in his thoughts that he hadn’t realized that he and Rosebud were already at his home. “Yeah, I’m fine. Go on. I’ll meet you there in a little while.”

Rosebud looked at her friend with a worried expression. “You’re sure?”

“Yes, yes. Now go get ready.”

“Okay then. I’ll…see you there.” Rosebud trotted off, worried about Storm Chaser.

After having bathed and taken a quick nap, Storm Chaser made his way towards the Grand Hall. He was determined to have a good time, despite the news he received earlier that day. After a short walk, he found Rosebud standing near the gate of the courtyard.

“Hey! You doing okay?” asked Rosebud.

“Oh yes. Now, let’s make a night of this, shall we?” responded Storm Chaser, a hint of excitement about his voice. He was determined to make a night of it. Bad news was bad, but a party was a party. No point in going to a party depressed.

The Tenth Summer Sun Celebration was full of ponies, of classes high and low, with many various events happening at any given time. In the courtyard a small band was performing various pieces, some jazzy, some classical, all genres. There were games and activities for the fillies and colts (and Storm Chaser). All in all, Rosebud had put together what many considered to be the best Summer Sun Celebration yet (and the opinion would endure for years to come). As the night progressed, many of the ponies found some place to rest, as they did not want to sleep through Celestia’s raising of the sun. There were those who were able to stay up through the night. Storm Chaser and Rosebud were among them.

“So, Sunny Day, I’ve been dying to know. How is it that the weather factory in Cloudsdale is able to manufacture rainbows?” Storm Chaser asked his cousin.

“Oh, uh…I don’t really know. They don’t let us into that part of the factory. All we know is that liquid rainbow comes out, and all we have to do is set the thing up,” responded Sunny Day, an unnoticeable amount of caution and anxiety in his voice.

“Darn. Me and Rose wanted to know…”

“Yeah, sorry about that.”

“Anyway, that rainbow is all ready to go, yeah?”

“Oh yeah. As soon as the sun comes up, the rainbow gets deployed. It is gonna be our best rainbow yet I think,” said Sunny Day, beaming.

“Awesome. Well, I’ll see you later, after the raising,” replied Storm Chaser, leaving to go find Rosebud.

“Yeah, catch ya later.”

Storm Chaser found Rosebud over by one of the many concessions that she had arranged. “Why am I not surprised you’re at the cake stand?”

Rosebud gave him a disapproving look. “Ha ha. Very funny. So? Did you find out about the rainbows?”

“Nah. He said he didn’t know anything. I don’t buy it. He always knows something about everything in that factory. He’s the freaking assistant director. Oh well. I tried.”

“Darn. At least you tried.” Rosebud mercilessly devoured the cake she got from the stand.

“Geez. Are you hungry?”

“Nope.”

“Uh…huh.” Storm Chaser looked over at the clock tower. It read 4:09. “Hey. We’d better make sure the courtyard gets cleared so we can all watch the princess.”

“Yeah, you’re right…” The duo gathered the crew who “volunteered” to clear the courtyard and got everything in order. The sun was to rise at 5:30, so they only had a little time left.

First came the rolling, thunderous sound that gradually got a little louder with every passing moment.

Not much longer, thousands upon thousands of ponies from across Equestria had gathered in and around the courtyard of the Grand Hall in anticipation for this event, now only minutes away.

Though nopony even noticed it to begin with, the rumbling sound was all but gone.

At exactly 5:30, the sun floated majestically into the sky, the silhouette of the princess visible in front of the sun. There was a monstrous applause from the crowd. The most beautiful rainbow one could imagine shined luminously, arcing perfectly over the sun. It was a sight that few would ever forget.

Of course, there would be only a few able to even remember.

At that moment, the deafening roar of tens of thousands of griffons washed over the crowd and echoed through Canterlot.